• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can a Forged Cutlery Honing Tool Sharpen Non-PC Knives? A Customer's Inquiry.

I tried it on my Henckels and it didn't work as well. I don't think the honing tool is specific to just PC knives, but I think it's better for them.
donnacook
Gold Member
Can this be used to sharpen non-PC knives too? A customer is asking about this.

Thanks in advance.

Donna

I wrote to HO about this and have been looking for the message I got back, but I guess I deleted it. The Honing Tool does not sharpen -- it straightens. The message said that knives get little dings (curves) in it, and that is what casues a knive to dull, so the Honing Tool makes it straight again. They said the knives need to be sharpened professionally.

HTH,
Sandi

As for whether the tool can be used for other knives, I get this question all the time. The honing tool is specially designed to work with PC knives--it's a matter of the angle at which the tool is set. It is not approved for use with other knives.

I personnally do use it on my other knives and it works great. I use them on my green knives and my scissors as well. I do tell my customers that it is meant for PC items but tell them the use I make of it but explain to them that it would void the warranty but then again, I would I know what they tried to hone with it. So bottom line, I do sell it as a honer for all knkives you might have at home. never had a problem yet and it sells.

If you look at any newly sharpened knife under a microscope, the edge will look like tiny saw teeth. These teeth do get bent and twisted with use. A honing tool or steel only realigns the teeth making them perform better. Frankly, while the honing tool is easy and convenient, a steel is more versatile. I really wish we had a steel in the line.

a steel is great if you are able to consistently get the same angle when you use it. I am not. I make things worse when I use our steel. The Cutlery Honing Tool is what I use instead. My husband prefers the steel and prefers that I leave it alone. He has not qualms with me using the honing tool though.

My knives are Wusthofs and the honing tool works niclely with them.

1. What is a forged cutlery honing tool?

A forged cutlery honing tool is a kitchen tool used to sharpen and maintain the edges of knives and other cutlery. It is made from high-quality steel and has a tapered rod that helps to realign the blade's edge for optimal sharpness.

2. How often should I use the forged cutlery honing tool?

We recommend using the forged cutlery honing tool every 2-3 times you use your knives, or whenever you notice the blades starting to dull. Regular use of the honing tool helps to extend the life of your knives and ensures they continue to perform at their best.

3. Is the forged cutlery honing tool difficult to use?

No, the forged cutlery honing tool is very easy to use. Simply hold the tool firmly in one hand and run the blade of your knife along the rod at a 20-degree angle, starting at the heel and ending at the tip. Repeat on the other side of the blade for a total of 5-6 passes on each side.

4. Can the forged cutlery honing tool be used on all types of knives?

Yes, the forged cutlery honing tool can be used on all types of knives, including stainless steel, carbon steel, and ceramic. However, it is not recommended for serrated knives as they require a different type of sharpener.

5. How do I clean and maintain the forged cutlery honing tool?

To clean the forged cutlery honing tool, simply wipe it down with a damp cloth and dry thoroughly. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives as they can damage the tool. To maintain the tool, regularly check the rod for any signs of wear or damage and replace if necessary.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedK
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
PamperedK
Replies
Views
kam
  • AmaraJ
  • Products and Tips
Replies