• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Religion forThose That Have Kids in Public Schools

well...anything!Two particular books are, Conversations with God and Conversations with Godfor Teens , written by Neale D. Walsch. They sound harmless enough by theirtitles alone. The books have been on the New York Times best sellers list for a number of weeks, and they make truth of the statement, 'Don't judge abook by its cover or title.' The author purports to answer various questions asked by kids using the'voice of God'. However, the 'answers' that he gives are not Bible-based andgo against the very infallible word of God For instance (and I paraphrase),when a girl asks the
krzymomof4
Silver Member
I received this email that I thought I would pass along.
If you have children or grandchildren, work with children at church, or you
have neighborhood children whose parents you know, please take note of the
information below and pass it along to others. Schools are distributing this
book to children through the Scholastic Book Club.

The name of the book is Conversations with God .. James Dobson talked about
this book twice this week. It is devastating. Parents, churches and
Christian schools need to be aware of it. Please pass this information on to
church/e-mail addressees, Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins,
friends.

Please pay special attention not only to what your kids watch on TV, in
movie theaters, on the internet, and the music they listen to, but also be
alert regarding the books they read.

Two particular books are, Conversations with God and Conversations with God
for Teens , written by Neale D. Walsch. They sound harmless enough by their
titles alone. The books have been on the New York Times best sellers list
for a number of weeks, and they make truth of the statement, 'Don't judge a
book by its cover or title.'

The author purports to answer various questions asked by kids using the
'voice of God'. However, the 'answers' that he gives are not Bible-based and
go against the very infallible word of God For instance (and I paraphrase),
when a girl asks the question 'Why am I a lesbian?' His answer is that she
was 'born that way' because of genetics (just as you were born right-handed,
with brown eyes, etc.) Then he tells her to go out and 'celebrate' her
differences.

Another girls poses the question 'I am living with my boyfriend. My parents say that I should marry him because I am living in sin. Should I marry him?'

His reply is, 'Who are you sinning against? Not me, because you have done nothing w rong.'

Another question asks about God's forgiveness of sin. His reply 'I do not forgive anyone because there is nothing to forgive. There is no such thing as right or wrong and that is what I have been trying to tell everyone, do not judge people. People have chosen to judge one another and this is wrong, because the rule is ''judge not lest ye be judged.'
Not only are these books the false doctrine of the devil, but in some
instances quote (in error) the Word of God.

And the list goes on. These books (and others like it) are being sold to schoolchildren through (The Scholastic Book Club), and we need to be aware of what is being fed to our children.

Our children are under attack. So I pray that you be sober and vigilant about teaching your children the Word of God, and guarding their exposure to worldly mediums, because our adversary, the devil, roams about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:8). We know that lions usually hunt for the slowest, weakest and YOUNGEST of its prey.

Pass this on to every Believer you know. God bless! And, if you are in doubt, check out the books yourself.

I did a little fact checking at http://www.cwfa.org/articles/668/CFI/cfreport/index.htm

This is one of the many, many, many reasons why I homeschool.

Debbie :D

krzymomof4 said:
I received this email that I thought I would pass along.
If you have children or grandchildren, work with children at church, or you
have neighborhood children whose parents you know, please take note of the
information below and pass it along to others. Schools are distributing this
book to children through the Scholastic Book Club.

Schools are not "Distributing" this book. Parents have the CHOICE to order it if they CHOOSE

The name of the book is Conversations with God .. James Dobson talked about
this book twice this week. It is devastating. Parents, churches and
Christian schools need to be aware of it. Please pass this information on to
church/e-mail addressees, Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins,
friends.

Please pay special attention not only to what your kids watch on TV, in
movie theaters, on the internet, and the music they listen to, but also be
alert regarding the books they read

I agree you should know what your kids are paying attentions to

Lots of very inappropriate books are sold from Scholastic. I advise parents to carefully monitor anything that kids order... Too many things are "in the name of diversity" and it is morally wrong!

It's amazing what is allowed to pass in front of a childs eyes!

I know in past years there was "Johnny has two Mommies" about a lesbian couple who have a son...and I think there was the male version as well... Kids see enough in just every day life without reading about it!

I was not familiar with this topic so I did some Googling I discovered that his book was apparently on scholastic forms that were distributed to Christian schools and has since been pulled. If you're interested you can go to this link: http://www.cwfa.org/articles/668/CFI/cfreport/index.htm and read about it.

Someone gave me a "coversations with God" calendar for a Christmas gift.

After I discovered how blatantly new age it was, I threw it away ...

I am a teacher, and I just want to clarify that Scholastic is not "distributing" the book to students, which makes it sound as though they are giving them out. They offer these books for parents to purchase for their children if they choose to do so. This is how parents who have never read a book (ie Harry Potter) start waves of mass hysteria and have the books removed from the school, when in fact they should just be monitoring their own child's reading. I support everyone's individual beliefs, but also believe that it is up to parents to take an active role in their children's lives and be aware of what they choose to read or are allowed to read instead of pushing censorship.

Amazing what gets put in print and then "flashed" before our innocent childrens' eyes. I know that Scholastic has some good books, but obviously this is not one of them. I do purchase books from them for my daughter to continue her love to read, but also to help out the school so that they can earn free books for the classroom. Besides not purchasing this book, the other thing that we can take solace in is that God will judge this author some day....and then he'll figure out what judgement is all about. May someone reach him before it is eternally too late.

I was not intending to start an uproar. I also did not mean that Scholastic is distribuiting the book to everyone. They are distributing the book if it is ordered. Some people judge a book by the cover and would think that Conversations with God is a religious book so to speak.
I just wanted to make people aware because a lot of parents buy their children books from them as gifts (like us), and I don't research every book by the title to find out every detail of it's contact. My fault totally, I know.
I could go on and on about how you research a particular book and find that it has language in it that is unapropriate for your 10 year old, etc.
I wasn't meaning to offend anyone.

Belle4562 said:
I am a teacher, and I just want to clarify that Scholastic is not "distributing" the book to students, which makes it sound as though they are giving them out. They offer these books for parents to purchase for their children if they choose to do so. This is how parents who have never read a book (ie Harry Potter) start waves of mass hysteria and have the books removed from the school, when in fact they should just be monitoring their own child's reading. I support everyone's individual beliefs, but also believe that it is up to parents to take an active role in their children's lives and be aware of what they choose to read or are allowed to read instead of pushing censorship.

I agree with you totally! We had a similar uproar last year and I was very upset at how the whole thing was handled. I had Teachers telling me to NOT purchase certain books. Had they read them? No... thay were just following the mass hysteria. I have since read those books and so has my husband. They were a fun fantasy series that made you think.

Now... I believe in your right to choose what your family believe, reads and holds dear. I just ask for the same considderation in return.

Belle4562 said:

I agree with you too!
When it comes right down to it, the parents need to be involved because ALL of the final decisions rest in their hands! It is the parents choice to buy the book and to allow their child to read it!

Belle4562 said:

She did type distributing at the top of her message but clarified at the bottom that they were available to purchase through Scholastic, so I don't think anyone assumed that they were being passed out for free. Nothing is free these days! LOL

It is a shame that something so blasphemous could enter into the homes of so many family's because they are either unaware of the contents or don't care.

I don't agree with allowing ANY child to read things that go against the Word of God (ie God himself), introduce children to the occult, and undermine what parent's are biblically trying to teach their children.

This is not a subtle attack but a blatant attack on everything we see as good and right based on scripture.

We have to love children and teach them the truth and what is right in the scriptures. To twist scriptures and to lie to children is horrible.

but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. Matthew 18:6

Christ was very passionate about children. He rebuked the apostles for trying to keep them away. They are precious and special to him.

To suggest a person living in sin with a boyfriend is ok, is detrimental to that person's spiritual condition. To suggest the same thing about homosexuality and imply that sin is not so serious or doesn't even exist at all, blatantly goes against scripture.

It is not a mass hysteria by crazy people who hate freedom of speech, when books like this are protested. It is the children of God coming against Satan and his lies towards the innocent children who are easily misguided and caused to stray from truth when something like this is mistakenly presented to them as correct.

It is loving to want to pull this from a shelf. It is not loving to look away and not care for those around us who are being spoon fed lies. This is a serious issue. Just like Harry Potter was. The occult is not something to be messed with and taken lightly. I know first hand because of my relatives who chose to engage in such dangerous activities that they thought were just innocent fun. The occult is not "fun" no matter how much you sugar coat it or try to make it into a children's fantasy tale.

And I am not upset at all, I just wanted to post my view point. I am very passionate about God and his Word. As a Christian God and his word are my life and everything I need to survive in this world. I love to have discussions on CS, it is a good way to share about ourselves with others.

Debbie :)

I don't want to start any problems, and believe everyone has their own opinion, but I also don't want novels taken out of my classroom or removed from my children's because one parent believes Harry Potter is a serious issue, nor do I think that is is associated with the occult. I have not had any 7th graders turn to devil worship or drinking funny cool aid, but many have developed a love of reading because of those books, which is again why it is for the parents to decide what is right for their children - not all children.

you know, i may be misinformed, but i'm suprised to see anything having to to do with God availible through schools.(no matter how offensive it is to Christians) i don't have kids in school, so i don't know what is typical in public schools anymore. (i graduated 6 years ago) i am SERIOUSLY bothered by this man answering questions as though he actually spoke for God. and i am equally bothered by Scolastic giving it's stamp of approval. i use to love scolastic readers, and was looking forward to buying from them for my kids. this however makes rethink that one. the more i think about public schools, the more i wonder if it would be worth paying to send my kids to a Christian school when they are school age.

The problem with Scholastic is it is set up usually at school in the library.. the children come in with their $$ to purchase books during their library time(during school hours). And the school profits from the sale. This sounds like a nice religious book, not what it really is. The problem is becoming desensitive to issues..when the parent does not want the exposure. I do not like Scholastic for this exact reason. Too bad, it can be a great thing -if it would stick to age appropriate subjects. I personally don't think those topics are appropriate for elementary children. And as an elementary administrator.. I did not allow Scholastic on my campus..unless they could pull the inappropriate books.. and they knew exactly which ones to keep packed!! Funny Huh!! They knew what was inappropriate!!
As far as not having any 7th graders turn to devil worshiping.. that is not the issue here.. It is keeping our children.. children.. and not exposing them to alternate views until the parent is ready to deal with it and so is the child.
I agree parents can let their own children read what they deem as appropriate.. some just don't feel this is appropriate. We are all different. You are able to decide what your own children read... some just don't want inappropriate text available to the innocent. There is plenty to read.. zillions of appropriate books that are clever, entertaining and just as capable of developing great reading skills with great content.

Deb,

I think when she talked about "mass hysteria" she was referring to when people get upset about something without knowing the full story, and then email everyone and campaign about something which is a non-issue and something they don't actually understand. For example here, the part about "Scholastic is distributing this book" when the reality is that scholastic is offering it for sale, and the parents can choose what to buy or not buy for their kids. I don't think she was trying to minimise the concern about the book itself. And of course I could be wrong! Just my perspective, as you seemed upset by her response. I hope this is helpful!

That said, it bothers me tremendously that 1) This book is titled so mis-leadingly and 2) scholastic is offering it.

And it also goes to show that (as someone else said) parents should be checking their kids books before letting them read them. It is unfortunate what is out there that our kids get exposed to, in terms of all sorts of media...

AnnieBee said:
Deb,

I think when she talked about "mass hysteria" she was referring to when people get upset about something without knowing the full story, and then email everyone and campaign about something which is a non-issue and something they don't actually understand. For example here, the part about "Scholastic is distributing this book" when the reality is that scholastic is offering it for sale, and the parents can choose what to buy or not buy for their kids. I don't think she was trying to minimise the concern about the book itself. And of course I could be wrong! Just my perspective, as you seemed upset by her response. I hope this is helpful!

That said, it bothers me tremendously that 1) This book is titled so mis-leadingly and 2) scholastic is offering it.

And it also goes to show that (as someone else said) parents should be checking their kids books before letting them read them. It is unfortunate what is out there that our kids get exposed to, in terms of all sorts of media...

Exactly! I still believe whether these books are being offered at school book sales or not that the parents should be aware of their children's purchases. When my kids go to the book fair - we make a list of books they would like and they choose when they get there. Honestly, after years of working in schools, the kids are much more likely to buy the junk that is offered than this book. That being said, it is still for each parent to monitor what his or her child reads, books don't have to stop being offered completely. This book may not mesh with my beliefs, but it doesn't mean another parent thinks it is just fine for their child.

I am almost sorry I started this posting.
My intentions when I posted was not to start mass hysteria or slam Scholastic, school teachers, etc.
I wanted parents and grandparents to be aware of the book being offered because a lot of parents and grandparents use the flyers that are sent home to purchase educational gifts for Christmas, etc. I know my MIL doesn't read about what she purchases for the boys although her intentions are pure.
Sorry if I offended anyone or started any hysteria.

krzymomof4 said:
My intentions when I posted was not to start mass hysteria or slam Scholastic, school teachers, etc.
I wanted parents and grandparents to be aware of the book being offered because a lot of parents and grandparents use the flyers that are sent home to purchase educational gifts for Christmas, etc. I know my MIL doesn't read about what she purchases for the boys although her intentions are pure.

You didn't start mass hysteria - there wasn't anything I saw in your post starting mass hysteria. Some people just tend to be more emotional about informational posts, and that is where the hysteria starts!:rolleyes:

There is a difference between freedom of the press, and "everyone doing what is right in their own eyes", but some count those two as equal.

Thanks for the info Leslie, although, I already knew about this author from his adult writings - and so I would already KNOW that my child wouldn't be reading any book written by him.

I also don't think you started any mass hysteria, and I am grateful to have this book brought to my attention.

I didn't mean in my post to imply that I thought you had done anything wrong, I just wanted to give some perspective on the post that was about "mass hysteria coming from uninformed people" (my loose paraphrase!). I felt that Deb was upset thinking that the poster was saying that this book is OK, when I think her main point was that people sometimes get their knickers in a twist over nothing, because they don't take the time to figure out what the truth is. I'm not saying that is what happened here.

I do think that pointing out that the book is not being "distributed" by scholastic was an important clarification (to avoid unecessary mass hysteria! LOL!)!). I think your post was very helpful, but it was a good to make sure that it was not misunderstood!

Anyway, I think it is too bad that scholastic would offer this book. IMO it would be worth contacting them to petition to have it removed. And while I am unhappy about the morality of the content, I am more unhappy about how misleading the title is, and the implication that this is what God thinks. If a book like this has to be "out there" it should at least be clear what the contents are.

And of course, to reiterate, this just goes to show that we should all be careful about what we let our kids see, hear and read, and that parents should be more involved. I think too often we are naive about what our kids are exposed to.

Anyway, my main point was to say thank you for your post, and I'm sorry if my other post made you feel bad, it was not my intent. Now I feel like I'm rambling, and this post is probably clear as mud!

Have a great day!

AnnieBee said:
I also don't think you started any mass hysteria, and I am grateful to have this book brought to my attention.

I didn't mean in my post to imply that I thought you had done anything wrong, I just wanted to give some perspective on the post that was about "mass hysteria coming from uninformed people" (my loose paraphrase!). I felt that Deb was upset thinking that the poster was saying that this book is OK, when I think her main point was that people sometimes get their knickers in a twist over nothing, because they don't take the time to figure out what the truth is. I'm not saying that is what happened here.

I do think that pointing out that the book is not being "distributed" by scholastic was an important clarification (to avoid unecessary mass hysteria! LOL!)!). I think your post was very helpful, but it was a good to make sure that it was not misunderstood!

Anyway, I think it is too bad that scholastic would offer this book. IMO it would be worth contacting them to petition to have it removed. And while I am unhappy about the morality of the content, I am more unhappy about how misleading the title is, and the implication that this is what God thinks. If a book like this has to be "out there" it should at least be clear what the contents are.
And of course, to reiterate, this just goes to show that we should all be careful about what we let our kids see, hear and read, and that parents should be more involved. I think too often we are naive about what our kids are exposed to.

Anyway, my main point was to say thank you for your post, and I'm sorry if my other post made you feel bad, it was not my intent. Now I feel like I'm rambling, and this post is probably clear as mud!

Have a great day!

The problem with that is that the author actually claims to have had these conversations with God. What I find most disturbing is that people actually believe him!

This is why I personally read every book I purchase for a child. Seriously, I do. I never give a child or young person a book I haven't personally read--no matter who reviewed it and what they said. It cuts into my time for my own personal reading, but it's a small price to pay.Better safe than sorry.

krzymomof4 said:

NO!!! You absolutely did not!! I am just the type of person who want to choose what my kids read - not be told what they can or can't. We had issues in my district with certain classics parents wanted off the shelf and the parents had never read the book. I just like to have the option to choose for myself. I am not offended and absolutely do not think you were trying to start hysteria, but some out there hear things and run with it. I give you credit for being informed and making the best choices for your child.

AnnieBee said:

Anyway, my main point was to say thank you for your post, and I'm sorry if my other post made you feel bad, it was not my intent.

Exactly what I was trying to say....

Belle4562 said:
NO!!! You absolutely did not!! I am just the type of person who want to choose what my kids read - not be told what they can or can't. We had issues in my district with certain classics parents wanted off the shelf and the parents had never read the book. I just like to have the option to choose for myself. I am not offended and absolutely do not think you were trying to start hysteria, but some out there hear things and run with it. I give you credit for being informed and making the best choices for your child.

Again... exactly my point!

Also from what I have seen this book was not in any of our elementary school scholastic orderforms. Since the title is so misleading I am happy it was not. I am not certain of the age kids it went out to. At our school (K-2) when there is a book fair the kids get to make a list of what books they would like so parents can check it over. If I want my daughter to have any she picked out I can give her $ or go in and purchase them. I know I am not ready to let her pick out her own reading material. While we are not super strict there are some things we wish to keep out of our home.

1. How can I get involved in my child's public school?

There are many ways to get involved in your child's public school. You can join the parent-teacher association, volunteer to chaperone field trips or school events, or even become a part of the school's advisory committee. Contact your child's school to find out about volunteer opportunities and ways to get involved.

2. How can I stay informed about my child's progress in school?

Most public schools have a parent portal or online system where you can access your child's grades, attendance, and assignments. Make sure to regularly check this portal and communicate with your child's teachers if you have any concerns. Attending parent-teacher conferences and staying in touch with your child's teachers is also a great way to stay informed about their progress.

3. Are there any resources available to help with my child's education?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with your child's education. Many public schools offer tutoring services, after-school programs, and academic support for students who may be struggling. You can also look into local community centers or libraries for additional resources and support.

4. How can I address any issues or concerns I have about my child's school?

If you have any concerns or issues about your child's school, it's important to communicate with the school administration and your child's teachers. Schedule a meeting or phone call to discuss your concerns and work together to find a solution. You can also reach out to your state's department of education for additional support and resources.

5. How can I help my child prepare for standardized tests?

There are many ways to help your child prepare for standardized tests. Encourage them to practice with sample questions or take practice tests. Make sure they are well-rested and have a nutritious breakfast on test day. You can also work with your child's teachers to identify any areas where they may need additional support and practice. Remember to keep a positive attitude and remind your child that their worth is not determined by their test scores.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies