• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

forThose of Us Over 40 Years Old...

In summary, DS brought home a toy today from Grandmas that belonged to DH. It was two hard balls, each on the end of a long string that you bounce together and it makes that "clackety" sound. They are called clackers.
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Does anyone remember what this thread was about? :confused:

sure:

chefmeg said:
my DS brought home a toy today from Grandmas that belonged to DH...it was two hard balls, each on the end of a long string that you bounce together and it makes that "clackety" sound...........what were these things called???

Clackers is all I can think of and I am pretty sure that's not it!

hmmmmm.....we are still fairly close to being on topic, aren't we? LMAO :D :D

Last edited:
See? I can set 'em up, too. :)

You live for this KG!

My personal favorite was Leif Garrett. And I had a "girl crush" on Kristy McNichol.

PamperedChefDebi said:
My personal favorite was Leif Garrett. ......
Age and drugs sure did a number on him though :yuck: he was a cute teenager.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
See? I can set 'em up, too. :)
I thanked you for the Spaceballs setup in the Vacuum thread. ;)

That's true - of course, setting one another up is what people expect us to do, right?

Yep. :) Good thing we do it so well.

Instead of "Star C S Member" our user titles should be "Master of HiBAR."

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
cw_masthead.jpg

Ha! My dad woulda been the Pete with a reefer... but not a cabover... well, actually yeah.. back in the 70's I think he did drive cabover... now he's got a nose... still a Pete man too and still pullin' reefer.

Which sounds really bad but isn't. I worked in the dispatch office as a young adult and took me a few days to realize what reefer was... especially since the bossman was very much a church going and living man. LOL... I mean, I knew what reefer was... but not THAT kind of reefer. LOL

chefmeg said:
OK Linda, I think we might have passed into the "you might be a redneck if..." category now! I loved cb's and the song! Smokey & the Bandit lead to an unhealthy obssesion of dating any gut that had a Trans Am!

*sniff*... *raises hand* guilty as charged... LOL. Actually it was a Firebird... I know, same thing. LOL...

I used to go cruisin' too... before it got a lot harder and the town tried to close it down, which they effectively have done now except for sanctioned 'cruise nights'... *rolls eyes*... EVERY night was cruise night... hop on the CB... find some friends... hang out and have pizza delivered to the parking lot you're hanging out at "yeah... I'd like a delivery please... to the lot across from the Pep Boys on High?"... nothing like smokin' the tires on your mom's Datsun with "Happiness is being a grandparent" on the front... :yuck:

lkprescott said:
Ha! My dad woulda been the Pete with a reefer... but not a cabover... well, actually yeah.. back in the 70's I think he did drive cabover... now he's got a nose... still a Pete man too and still pullin' reefer. Which sounds really bad but isn't. I worked in the dispatch office as a young adult and took me a few days to realize what reefer was... especially since the bossman was very much a church going and living man. LOL... I mean, I knew what reefer was... but not THAT kind of reefer. LOL
Old truckers never die - they just get a new Peterbuilt.

pamperedlinda said:
Wow! I'm gonna print this post and hang it in my office!

Actually, the only way I knew this was that I was trying to remember how old I was when the movie came out and I googled it earlier today.

And, further researching the used-to-be-ever-so-HOT Burt Reynolds I came across this flash from the past.....how many of you are old enough to remember this one:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/burtreynoldsbg.jpg

OH my... where's the bear skin rug stop and Burt start? *giggle*

janetupnorth said:
Burt was too hairy for my liking, now Bo and Luke Duke (John Schneider/Tom Wopat) were a little more to my liking...

Me too... Bo specifically... nice thing about Schneider too, he's aged gracefully. Still found him as sexy if not more so in Smallville as he was on Dukes..

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Does anyone remember what this thread was about? :confused:

Just checked the title and we seem to still be on topic... though not perhaps what the first post was about. LOL

Though I still contend that I'm NOT over 40... I did however, have much older sibs and they influenced me much in the realms of music and pop culture... then they all moved out by the time I was 8 and I was left with Mom and TV. LOL..

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Old truckers never die - they just get a new Peterbuilt.

This is quite true... he's senior guy in the fleet... he's always getting a new Peterbuilt. LOL...

lkprescott said:
Ha! My dad woulda been the Pete with a reefer... but not a cabover... well, actually yeah.. back in the 70's I think he did drive cabover... now he's got a nose... still a Pete man too and still pullin' reefer.

Which sounds really bad but isn't. I worked in the dispatch office as a young adult and took me a few days to realize what reefer was... especially since the bossman was very much a church going and living man. LOL... I mean, I knew what reefer was... but not THAT kind of reefer. LOL
Actually, there are three C.W. McCall recordings I particularly like, Convoy, Old 30 ("She was known to all the truckers, As the mighty Lincoln Highway, But to me, she's still Old 30 all the way") and Wolf Creek Pass:

...Right in the middle of the whole damn show
Was a real nice tunnel now wouldn't you know
Sign says clearance to the twelve foot line
But them chickens was stacked to thirteen nine
Well we shot that tunnel at a hundred an' ten
Like gas through a funnel an' eggs through a hen
An' we took that top row of chickens off
Slicker 'n the scum off a Louisiana swamp...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Sorry, I was at a party this evening so I missed all this fun.

We used to have a guy in our little CB club (you have to be even older than 40 to remember the CB craze) who called himself, "Clackers." He had something in his system that made that annoying sound whenever he keyed his mic.

<SNIP>

No you don't (have to be even older than 40) my grandfather had one, and I played with it all the time. Then when my mom married my Step-dad, because he was an OTR trucker, I got to play with his on occasion when I was allowed to go on ride-alongs in his truck! I even got a HAM radio for Christmas one year from my grandpa...my mother gave it back and kindly asked him to get me a doll or something... I hated dolls. my CB call was Chatter Box :) I think my Grandpa's was Hammer Head or something like that... He's been gone for quite some time, so sadly I don't remember.

lkprescott said:
I AM under 40... 1971... same day Khruschev died though, obviously, I didn't know that at the time... LOL...
Hopefully you didn't answer this question yet, I haven't made it to the end of this thread yet!! And the question is.... that would be what date?
I'm a 1971 baby too! In fact I have 36 more days! Yikes! :D 40 would have freaked me out a long time ago, but not anymore! Shoot I read that new magazine for women over 40 so I guess I have learned to embrace it well!:balloon:

^^ All though for the life of me I can't think of the name of that magazine! Is it an almost 40 thing??!!:confused: :confused: ;) :balloon:

Last edited:
pamperedlinda said:
Ya'll -He was super HOT in the 70's and 80's!!!!! Now, not so much.
WEll, I "was" in the mood for breakfast...now not so much. I think the fact that he was nuuuuuuuude on a bearskin rug the same color as all the flippin' body hair he had is what turned me off...and the fact that he was holding his family jewels, AND the fact that I even had to see his lower half in all it's unglory! LOL :eek:

I'm going to go throw bleach in my eyes now...or based on what Janet says, maybe Vinegar might work better? LOL :thumbup:

I used to think that Leif Garret was a hunk! Now I'm more the Sean Connery type of gal... I like older men :blushing:

Don't blame me for hijacking this thread, we lost control of it somewhere on page 2 or 3! :D

By the time Convoy came out, the CB fad was already winding down. At one point, between 1973 and 1975, everybody had a CB radio. I mean, everybody. A car without a trunk-mount antenna was the unusual sight. In the early days, only geeks had CB radios, antennae were of the 102" whip variety (I still have mine) and even truckers didn't use CB's much before the coil-loaded antennae came out. (Coil loaded antennae are much shorter and compact, also portable, allowing contract drivers to mount them on the mirrors.)With thousands and thousands of CB radios being sold, out on the road, you couldn't get a word in edgewise. When it all got started, truckers used channel 10. The increase of radio traffic on 10 was incredible - unless you were talking with someone right next to you and turned the squelch way up, there was no way to carry on a conversation. The truckers moved to channel 19, to get away from the morons.By 1977, the craze was pretty much over and it was just the truckers using 'em.

janetupnorth said:
Burt was too hairy for my liking, now Bo and Luke Duke (John Schneider/Tom Wopat) were a little more to my liking...
OMG- Tom Wopat was yummy! I even liked Gerald McRainey in Simon and Simon... I always liked the brunette, and my sister always liked the blondes. Funny thing, I'm brunette, and she's blonde!

pamperedlinda said:
Age and drugs sure did a number on him though :yuck: he was a cute teenager.
oh my Gosh Linda! Are you ever right!!! I seen him recently and thought the same thing! :yuck: :yuck: I don't think it was age, I think it was the drugs and bad life style. A lot of people look better with age, like John Travolta, gosh he use to be dorky! And now he's sexy, at least he is to me!!!:thumbup: :balloon: :D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
HiBAR!

Everyone is born with a unique talent. Some people can run fast and catch footballs. Some people can hit the curve or the slider. Some people can sing or play an instrument. Some people can carve beauty out of stone.

But I know someone who can use deceit and lies to weave a tapestry of a secret life and make it appear to be a work of art.

Sounds like my DH Practice-Wife

That is what I unaffectionately call his ex...

MissChef said:
Hopefully you didn't answer this question yet, I haven't made it to the end of this thread yet!! And the question is.... that would be what date?
I'm a 1971 baby too! In fact I have 36 more days! Yikes! :D 40 would have freaked me out a long time ago, but not anymore! Shoot I read that new magazine for women over 40 so I guess I have learned to embrace it well!:balloon:

9/11

Turning 30 was a day marked in history but not for my birthday, that's for sure.

Kitchen Diva said:
WEll, I "was" in the mood for breakfast...now not so much. I think the fact that he was nuuuuuuuude on a bearskin rug the same color as all the flippin' body hair he had is what turned me off...and the fact that he was holding his family jewels, AND the fact that I even had to see his lower half in all it's unglory! LOL :eek:

I'm going to go throw bleach in my eyes now...or based on what Janet says, maybe Vinegar might work better? LOL :thumbup:

I used to think that Leif Garret was a hunk! Now I'm more the Sean Connery type of gal... I like older men :blushing:

Don't blame me for hijacking this thread, we lost control of it somewhere on page 2 or 3! :D
Oh now, I'm with you here!! I have loved Sean Connery since I was in my 20's! I loved him in "The Rock"! He is a sexy man! And that accent! Yikes! I Love it!
Hey! I had to do something to remove that picture of Burt out of my eyes! He's nasty looking! Now that is an example of not growing old gracefully!:yuck:

lkprescott said:
9/11

Turning 30 was a day marked in history but not for my birthday, that's for sure.
So you are barely 36! I would have hated having that as my birthday in 2001 what a terrible way to spend your day! Cause I'm sure you were glued to the tv set too!
I knew a few ladies who actually had their babies on that exact day! At least it was something bright on such a traggic day!
Well happy belated b-day! :D

Last edited:
MissChef said:
So you are barely 36! I would have hated having that as my birthday in 2000! What a terrible way to spend your day! Cause I'm sure you were glued to the tv set too!
I knew a few ladies who actually had their babies on that exact day! At least was something bright on such a traggic day!
Um, that would be 2001.

oops... sorry I was thinking of my daughter's b-day year!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Um, that would be 2001.
there I changed it! Hey I haven't even had my first cup of coffee yet! Guess I better go do that!:rolleyes:

MissChef said:
So you are barely 36! I would have hated having that as my birthday in 2000! What a terrible way to spend your day! Cause I'm sure you were glued to the tv set too!
I knew a few ladies who actually had their babies on that exact day! At least it was something bright on such a traggic day!

2001... yup... that day sucked. I went to work like normal and my friend and coworker said something about the WTC... we didn't understand fully until a couple hours later. My b'day was forgotten... which was understandable. Up until then though the company we worked for made a big deal out of b'days... I left work early... no one knew what would happen next. I got DS out of school early and we sat and watched the TV...

My DH is a peach though and helped reclaim my b'day with a surprise party one year... which was a nice diversion. I just don't watch TV on my b'day and that helps too.

pamperedlinda said:
Oh, be still my heart! I was in love with him too :love: :love:

I loved Shaun Cassidy! One day my mom came home with a People Magazine and Shaun was on the cover...I put it right under my pillow so at night I could dream of him. And I think I was 10 or 11, so don't ruin my innocent love of Shaun...

Now Don Johnson is more my speed...and Sean Connery.

I like the 1996 Don Johnson the best- geesh listen to me, it makes him sound like a good bottle of wine!

I can't believe no one's mentioned The Hoff... not that I ever had a crush on him... well, thought he was a cutie when he was on Y&R but that's it. He's funny as heck on the Spongebob Movie though... gotta love a guy who can poke fun at himself. My big childhood crushes were Greg Evigan... John Schneider... Michael J Fox more in the 80's... Duran Duran (again, in the 80's)... I started getting into more geeky lookin' guys and well, my taste in men hasn't strayed much over the years. LOL...

I liked David Hasselhoff in Knight Rider, but I liked Rex Smith a little better when he was in Night Hawk...

Still, if Don Johnson were to come to my door...I might have to leave my DH.

DH used to look somewhat like Don Johnson before I fed him so well and he gained so much weight... (sigh)

ATTENTION: To those of you over 40...The successful hijacking of this thread has been derailed. This thread has been re-hijacked by kids.You may now resume your normal activities.

lkprescott said:
9/11

That's my anniversary...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
ATTENTION: To those of you over 40...

The successful hijacking of this thread has been derailed. This thread has been re-hijacked by kids.

You may now resume your normal activities.

:p :p :p

Hey... my hubby is over 50... that's gotta count for something. LOL And when we first met [online] he took me for someone older than he... and that's the ONLY time having a mistaken age is good... before you meet face 2 face. LOL

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
ATTENTION: To those of you over 40...

The successful hijacking of this thread has been derailed. This thread has been re-hijacked by kids.

You may now resume your normal activities.

Come on now KG, we're at least in our 30's!!!!!!

The true kids haven't taken over yet... ;)

This is so fun i love going down memory lane (loved the 80's).
My first concert was Shaun Cassidy and then Adam Ant (lol) for some reason I thought he was cute in a differnt kind of way. I think my first and probably 1/2 of everone elses Idol was Elvis. When I was younger and had a chance to go to 2 of his concerts I will never forget that.

Last edited:
janetupnorth said:
Come on now KG, we're at least in our 30's!!!!!!

The true kids haven't taken over yet... ;)

My DH is 44 years old...And I feel like I'm 40 some days, that has to count for something. And I agree...the true kids haven't taken over yet! :)

Oh my! The bruises I used to get from these.

The definition of "kids" is usually any smart-a$s more than 10 years younger than you are.

I've been to a George Michael Concert! I was about 15-16 years old. I went with my big sister who LOVED him! But I don't think SHE was his type!!! Anyway, I've been to quite a bit of rock concerts, including Kiss and Ozzy Ozbourne! My hubby loved this music! He still does but now he listens to Christian Rock!
But I loved a lot of those guys you all have mentioned and what a blast from the past!! I use to love John Stamos too! :love: He was friends with my across the street neighbor when I was about 8-9 years old and use to play the drums in their little band! The neighbor was about 8-9 years older than me and his little sister was my big sister's best friend! My sister went to high school with him for a year when she was a freshman. Funny how I had a famous guy that use to come rock out in a band, right across the street from me! I remember being a teenager later on and telling everyone how I "knew" John Stamos!:rolleyes: :D I laugh when I think about it now and sometimes I get a little chuckle when I'm watching ER with him on it now!:p :D

Last edited:
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The definition of "kids" is usually any smart-a$s more than 10 years younger than you are.
Oh I soooo agree with this !!!!! I know a lot of kids that my hubby is the boss over and we often start laughing when we realize we are calling 25 year old guys "kids!" But if they can't get to work on time and have an attitude then I guess they are kids! My hubby will often say that his own real kids are more mature then the "boys" that work for him!:p

Kitchen Diva said:
I liked David Hasselhoff in Knight Rider, but I liked Rex Smith a little better when he was in Night Hawk...

Still, if Don Johnson were to come to my door...I might have to leave my DH.

DH used to look somewhat like Don Johnson before I fed him so well and he gained so much weight... (sigh)

I had forgotten all about Rex Smith....................................what a cutie and he could sing...what was that song, anyway????

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Well, I must be your grandkid then! ;) :p

chefmeg said:
I had forgotten all about Rex Smith....................................what a cutie and he could sing...what was that song, anyway????

"You Take My Breath Away".....I was at the perfect age for that movie when it came out - with him as the "older man", and the girl trying to pretend she was older than she was......I remember thinking "That could be me!"...I was so in love with Rex Smith!:love: :love: :love:

lkprescott said:
I can't believe no one's mentioned The Hoff... not that I ever had a crush on him... well, thought he was a cutie when he was on Y&R but that's it. He's funny as heck on the Spongebob Movie though... gotta love a guy who can poke fun at himself.

My big childhood crushes were Greg Evigan... John Schneider... Michael J Fox more in the 80's... Duran Duran (again, in the 80's)... I started getting into more geeky lookin' guys and well, my taste in men hasn't strayed much over the years. LOL...

Oh, Greg Evigan! BJ and the Bear! He was such a cutie. (BJ, not the Bear.)

<h2>1. What are those toys with two hard balls on strings called?</h2><p>The toy you are describing is commonly known as "clackers" or "click clacks". They were popular in the 1970s and 1980s and were often made of hard plastic or acrylic.</p><h2>2. What is the purpose of clackers?</h2><p>Clackers were primarily used as a toy for children to play with. The goal was to get the two balls to swing and hit each other, making a "clacking" sound. They were also sometimes used as a form of exercise or for hand-eye coordination.</p><h2>3. Are clackers safe for children to play with?</h2><p>While clackers were marketed as a toy for children, they were actually quite dangerous. The hard plastic balls could easily break and fly off the string, causing injuries to the child or anyone nearby. As a result, many schools and playgrounds banned clackers.</p><h2>4. Can adults play with clackers?</h2><p>Clackers were originally marketed towards children, but many adults also enjoyed playing with them. In fact, there were even competitions and tournaments held for clacker enthusiasts. However, they can still be dangerous and should be used with caution.</p><h2>5. Are clackers still available to buy?</h2><p>While clackers were popular in the past, they are not as common now. They can still be found for sale through vintage or retro toy sellers, but they are not widely available. Due to their safety concerns, they are not produced by major toy companies anymore.</p>

1. What are those toys with two hard balls on strings called?

The toy you are describing is commonly known as "clackers" or "click clacks". They were popular in the 1970s and 1980s and were often made of hard plastic or acrylic.

2. What is the purpose of clackers?

Clackers were primarily used as a toy for children to play with. The goal was to get the two balls to swing and hit each other, making a "clacking" sound. They were also sometimes used as a form of exercise or for hand-eye coordination.

3. Are clackers safe for children to play with?

While clackers were marketed as a toy for children, they were actually quite dangerous. The hard plastic balls could easily break and fly off the string, causing injuries to the child or anyone nearby. As a result, many schools and playgrounds banned clackers.

4. Can adults play with clackers?

Clackers were originally marketed towards children, but many adults also enjoyed playing with them. In fact, there were even competitions and tournaments held for clacker enthusiasts. However, they can still be dangerous and should be used with caution.

5. Are clackers still available to buy?

While clackers were popular in the past, they are not as common now. They can still be found for sale through vintage or retro toy sellers, but they are not widely available. Due to their safety concerns, they are not produced by major toy companies anymore.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedpals
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
baychef
  • scottcooks