• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

forThose of Us Over 40 Years Old...

In summary, DS brought home a toy today from Grandmas that belonged to DH. It was two hard balls, each on the end of a long string that you bounce together and it makes that "clackety" sound. They are called clackers.
dianevill said:
Yes, but on two metal tracks...

Yep! Mine had a red spinning thing. But we called it some kind of yo yo I think.

That's it - THANK YOU! Now I can sleep tonight. LOL.

dianevill said:
And yes, KG, I remember the CB craze - dad was a truck driver for a local bakery and his handle was "Bagle Baker". And I have to throw in my defense - I'm not well over 40...yet. I will be 40 in 8 months and 6 days, though!

cw_masthead.jpg

C.W. McCall said:
Was the dark of the moon, on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth, pullin' logs
Cabover Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs
We 'as headin' fer bear on I-One-Oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky-Town
I sez Pig-Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck
An' I'm about to put the hammer down

Cause we gotta little ol' convoy, rockin' through the night
Yeah we gotta little ol' convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
Come on an' join our convoy, ain't nothin' gonna git in our way
We're gonna roll this truckin' convoy, cross the USA
Convoy... Convoy...

CB Craze? I used mine until 1998! My DH just got his ham license and uses that all the time.

My dad's antennas are still on my mom's house, his base station is still there, I still have my mobile...actually I still have a CB in my van I drive... :blushing:

Remember his buddy making him a lenier (however you spelled it...)...gave you more power but often illegal...talked to people all over the world.

Still remember Dad's call-sign at the time...KAUT7108

All of us had handles:

Dad: Tonka Trucker
Mom: Athena (her sewing machine)
Me: Holly Hobbie
Brother: Matchbox

BTW KG - I would NOT be surprised if you chatted with my Dad sometime a few decades ago. He was on A LOT when I was little.

I still remember him teaching me how to align the antennas in the van with the meter from Sears and adjusting them up and down.

Call me a geek, but I plan on taking his base station and saving it since it is still good...just need a nice home for it so for now it is at mom's house.

I used to keep my mobile CD in my Intrepid and let the truck drivers in front of me during rush hour on I-94 going into downtown and on the High Rise bridge. People would drive like idiots during rush hour and they couldn't eve switch a lane!

I finally took it out of my car though because with cell phones the usage is minimal.

When I was in High School CB's were big - of course that's when Smokey and the Bandit came out so everyone had to be cool and talk on their CB. I remember my dad getting really mad at me for running the battery down in the car b/c I sat in the driveway talking on it for hours. It was fun.

pamperedlinda said:
When I was in High School CB's were big - of course that's when Smokey and the Bandit came out so everyone had to be cool and talk on their CB. I remember my dad getting really mad at me for running the battery down in the car b/c I sat in the driveway talking on it for hours. It was fun.

OK Linda, I think we might have passed into the "you might be a redneck if..." category now! I loved cb's and the song! Smokey & the Bandit lead to an unhealthy obssesion of dating any gut that had a Trans Am!

Dating any gut? I hope they were guys too. ;)

I had a poster of a white Trans Am on my wall above my closet - the year it was a pace car...in fact I don't think my mom ever took it off the wall still!!!!

I found a picture of it - 1981 Pace Car!

TransAm.jpg

chefmeg said:
OK Linda, I think we might have passed into the "you might be a redneck if..." category now! I loved cb's and the song! Smokey & the Bandit lead to an unhealthy obssesion of dating any gut that had a Trans Am!
No mam, not in the 70's! You were way cool back then if you had a CB radio and a 'handle'! (I don't remember what my handle was - I think I changed it often).

The Trans Am in Smokey & The Bandit was a black 1978.http://www.78ta.com/43db79e30.jpg

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The Trans Am in Smokey & The Bandit was a black 1978.

http://www.78ta.com/43db79e30.jpg
The movie was in theaters in '77 so it couldn't have been a '78. I'm figuring that it was probably filmed in '76 so technically the '77's were out then, but not the '78's. kwim?

Upon further review...you are correct, it was a 1977 Trans Am. Unless one is a dyed-in-the-wool student of Pontiac, the two are virtually identical and difficult to tell apart. Five specially built vehicles were used in the filming.http://www.78ta.com/photo/2a35c050.jpg

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Upon further review...you are correct, it was a 1977 Trans Am. Unless one is a dyed-in-the-wool student of Pontiac, the two are virtually identical and difficult to tell apart. Five specially built vehicles were used in the filming.

http://www.78ta.com/photo/2a35c050.jpg
Wow! I'm gonna print this post and hang it in my office!

Actually, the only way I knew this was that I was trying to remember how old I was when the movie came out and I googled it earlier today.

And, further researching the used-to-be-ever-so-HOT Burt Reynolds I came across this flash from the past.....how many of you are old enough to remember this one:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/burtreynoldsbg.jpg

I fear mine was much less...um...interesting. I was working at the Pontiac store in 1978.

Ugh Linda! (Poking my mind's eye out right now!)

ACK! I do remember Burt in all his glory! And now I remember why I don't really like him!
Which one is the rug???!!!!;)

Ya'll -He was super HOT in the 70's and 80's!!!!! Now, not so much.

Linda, Linda, Linda....sounds like you had an attration to Burt like I had to the guys (NOT guts:) ) that drove the Trans Ams!
Is there a 12 step program for us????

chefmeg said:
Linda, Linda, Linda....sounds like you had an attration to Burt like I had to the guys (NOT guts:) ) that drove the Trans Ams!
Is there a 12 step program for us????
You can't tell me that you didn't think he was sexy back then now can you? Yeah, he was (still is) arrogant.....but OMG he was sexy.

pamperedlinda said:
Ya'll -He was super HOT in the 70's and 80's!!!!! Now, not so much.
That's what they all say about me, too.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That's what they all say about me, too.
Picture please.......

Do you have one on a bear skin rug too?

Eeuuwww.... his ex might, though (at least based on the stories I've heard)

No, I don't have a bare skin rug. I just live with some creative combover.

chefann said:
Eeuuwww....

his ex might, though (at least based on the stories I've heard)
She very well might, but not of me.

chefann said:
Eeuuwww....

his ex might, though (at least based on the stories I've heard)
OOOhhhh, do tell!

Burt was too hairy for my liking, now Bo and Luke Duke (John Schneider/Tom Wopat) were a little more to my liking...

They're not my stories to tell. And they paint a picture of a manipulative witch (but with a "b").

chefann said:
They're not my stories to tell. And they paint a picture of a manipulative witch (but with a "b").

...and "B" stands for broom right? ;)

pamperedlinda said:
You can't tell me that you didn't think he was sexy back then now can you? Yeah, he was (still is) arrogant.....but OMG he was sexy.

I think I was a little too young to think sexy at that point...I was 12 in 1978 and madly in love with Andy Gibb! The Trans Am, on the other hand, was HOT!

I was so naive as 12...I was going to marry Andy Gibb! And then, a few years later, after some (relatively innocent, ya know!) adventures with guys in Trans Ams, I was just going to sleep with Rick Springfield! Forget marriage, just sex!

Burt just wasn't doing it for me!

janetupnorth said:
Burt was too hairy for my liking, now Bo and Luke Duke (John Schneider/Tom Wopat) were a little more to my liking...
He is a little on the wooly side - didn't realize how much until this picture of him. I still thought he was good-lookin (he's actually much better looking dressed in tight jeans with a cowboy hat on :D ) than in the buff.

chefmeg said:
I think I was a little too young to think sexy at that point...I was 12 in 1978 and madly in love with Andy Gibb! The Trans Am, on the other hand, was HOT!

I was so naive as 12...I was going to marry Andy Gibb! And then, a few years later, after some (relatively innocent, ya know!) adventures with guys in Trans Ams, I was just going to sleep with Rick Springfield! Forget marriage, just sex!

Burt just wasn't doing it for me!
I was 11 when that picture came out (1972), but I remember it surfacing again several years later......that's when it caught my attention.

pamperedlinda said:
I was 11 when that picture came out, but I remember it surfacing again several years later......that's when it caught my attention.

Now THAT I can understand...i remember it was a really BIG ;) deal that he was posing in a "womans" magazine...Cosmo!

HiBAR!
chefann said:
Everyone is born with a unique talent. Some people can run fast and catch footballs. Some people can hit the curve or the slider. Some people can sing or play an instrument. Some people can carve beauty out of stone. But I know someone who can use deceit and lies to weave a tapestry of a secret life and make it appear to be a work of art.

sounds like my SIL!!!! that woman never ceases to amaze me with the crap she can "remember"...........she has intentionally inflicted alot of pain in my family and is on that "list" I have of people I will never speak to..and I mean NEVER! It is a very un-Christian attitude, I know, but she is just too hurtful to deal with, and when she and my brother team up on you, you are toast.

I can remember being at my grandmas house when the Playgirl with Burt in it came out and all the aunts and my mama too were passing it around and they made me go in the other room.
Burt did nothing for me - David Cassidy was all mine. His tight white bell bottom pants and all.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
HiBAR!

Everyone is born with a unique talent. Some people can run fast and catch footballs. Some people can hit the curve or the slider. Some people can sing or play an instrument. Some people can carve beauty out of stone.

But I know someone who can use deceit and lies to weave a tapestry of a secret life and make it appear to be a work of art.

Sounds also like a lady I heard described recently.

A guy who is a neighbor is originally from Milwaukee. He was at the Y on Friday with his grandson, I was there with my kids and my pastor was there with his kids.

Anyway, he is telling us about his 2 1/2 year marriage that ended about a year ago. Long story short, he THOUGHT he was her 2nd husband - he met her in college and had chatted with her for 13 years before they got together and got married. One day she leaves on a trip and then her son calls to say she is dead, then her "sister" calls to make arrangements that they want her buried elsewhere or creamated or something. Anyway, he does some investigation and finds out he is her 7TH husband. She even married and divorced someone elsewhere in WI while she was married to him. The story goes on and on and was almost surreal but true. I can't IMAGINE anyone making up that many lies!

chefmeg said:
sounds like my SIL!!!! that woman never ceases to amaze me with the crap she can "remember"...........she has intentionally inflicted alot of pain in my family and is on that "list" I have of people I will never speak to..and I mean NEVER! It is a very un-Christian attitude, I know, but she is just too hurtful to deal with, and when she and my brother team up on you, you are toast.
Steph? Is that you???

http://helpfindthemissing.org/forum/images/smilies/67302.gif

Cindycooks said:
.......... David Cassidy was all mine. His tight white bell bottom pants and all.
Oh, be still my heart! I was in love with him too :love: :love:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Steph? Is that you???

http://helpfindthemissing.org/forum/images/smilies/67302.gif

KG-how do you get those cute smileys inserted here?? All I can get is the HTML format....not pretty!

Meg - use left bracket [ then IMG then right bracket ]

Then put the http link in

Then do [/ IMG then ]

If you hit QUOTE on KG's post, you can see the format.

thanks Janet...I had some sucking upo to do to Ann and needed to know fast!

chefmeg said:
KG-how do you get those cute smileys inserted here?? All I can get is the HTML format....not pretty!
It's the same as any graphic image. You can't insert a graphic directly in vBulletin, but you can link images from other locations.

You can read all about it in The Photo Thread.

pamperedlinda said:
And, further researching the used-to-be-ever-so-HOT Burt Reynolds I came across this flash from the past.....how many of you are old enough to remember this one:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/burtreynoldsbg.jpg

Remember it? Of course. . .we had that picture hanging in our dorm room. :)

chefjeanine said:
Remember it? Of course. . .we had that picture hanging in our dorm room. :)
Finally! Someone who understands :D

pamperedlinda said:
I was 11 when that picture came out (1972), but I remember it surfacing again several years later......that's when it caught my attention.

So I was 7 when it came out the first time. . . . My roommate's Great Aunt provided Burt's photo as a decoration for our room. :thumbup:

This Aunt also sent (not at the same time) a pair of underpants that about 4 of us could fit in at the same time :eek: and a pair of pants that we could stand with one person in each leg.

And my family thinks I'm a weird UNCLE.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
And my family thinks I'm a weird UNCLE.

"Aunt Ernie" used to send all kinds of interesting items. She was a practical joker.

Does anyone remember what this thread was about? :confused:

<h2>1. What are those toys with two hard balls on strings called?</h2><p>The toy you are describing is commonly known as "clackers" or "click clacks". They were popular in the 1970s and 1980s and were often made of hard plastic or acrylic.</p><h2>2. What is the purpose of clackers?</h2><p>Clackers were primarily used as a toy for children to play with. The goal was to get the two balls to swing and hit each other, making a "clacking" sound. They were also sometimes used as a form of exercise or for hand-eye coordination.</p><h2>3. Are clackers safe for children to play with?</h2><p>While clackers were marketed as a toy for children, they were actually quite dangerous. The hard plastic balls could easily break and fly off the string, causing injuries to the child or anyone nearby. As a result, many schools and playgrounds banned clackers.</p><h2>4. Can adults play with clackers?</h2><p>Clackers were originally marketed towards children, but many adults also enjoyed playing with them. In fact, there were even competitions and tournaments held for clacker enthusiasts. However, they can still be dangerous and should be used with caution.</p><h2>5. Are clackers still available to buy?</h2><p>While clackers were popular in the past, they are not as common now. They can still be found for sale through vintage or retro toy sellers, but they are not widely available. Due to their safety concerns, they are not produced by major toy companies anymore.</p>

1. What are those toys with two hard balls on strings called?

The toy you are describing is commonly known as "clackers" or "click clacks". They were popular in the 1970s and 1980s and were often made of hard plastic or acrylic.

2. What is the purpose of clackers?

Clackers were primarily used as a toy for children to play with. The goal was to get the two balls to swing and hit each other, making a "clacking" sound. They were also sometimes used as a form of exercise or for hand-eye coordination.

3. Are clackers safe for children to play with?

While clackers were marketed as a toy for children, they were actually quite dangerous. The hard plastic balls could easily break and fly off the string, causing injuries to the child or anyone nearby. As a result, many schools and playgrounds banned clackers.

4. Can adults play with clackers?

Clackers were originally marketed towards children, but many adults also enjoyed playing with them. In fact, there were even competitions and tournaments held for clacker enthusiasts. However, they can still be dangerous and should be used with caution.

5. Are clackers still available to buy?

While clackers were popular in the past, they are not as common now. They can still be found for sale through vintage or retro toy sellers, but they are not widely available. Due to their safety concerns, they are not produced by major toy companies anymore.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedpals
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
baychef
  • scottcooks