• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Wii Fit an Effective Exercise Program for Weight Loss and Fitness?

are for Jillian Michaels...the wii game only). I've only used it a few times so far, but it is really good. It tracks how many calories you burn, how much time you spend on each exercise, etc. It is a bit more expensive than the Wii Fit, but it's worth it in my opinion.
chefshawna
Gold Member
We just got a Wii for Christmas and I really want the Wii Fit. I wanted to know before I got it though if it's good. I mean, has anyone used it regularly as an exercise program and seen results?? My husband wants it for the skiing and other games that use the balance board, which I think would be fun also, but I really want to lose some weight and get back into shape. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Yes it is awesome. It is all its cracked up to be. We love ours. If i did it more regularly I would probably lose more weight. The best thing is that you are having fun while doing the exercises. There is step, yoga, weights, hula hoop. It is definitely worth it.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that it is really something that you can get into shape with. I know everything we've gotten so far has been awesome, but I didn't want to put out that much money if it wasn't worth it!!

Thanks for posting! I am getting my hubby (and me) a Wii for V-day, & was debating on getting the Wii Fit bundle! Thanks!

I agree with Kodeysmom! Well worth it!

What I want to know is whether those of you who have had it for a while still really use it for proper work outs, or is it one of those things that once the novelty has worn off, it doesn't get used much...

I don't own it (yet, only because I haven't been able to find one). But I have heard from other people and forums that if your main goal is losing weight and fitness you are better off getting My Fitness Coach (which I do own). It may not be as fun, but it tracks everything and goes straight through a work out (I guess with the wii fit, you have to keep going back to the menu and selecting new things to do). Another feature I like of My Fitness Coach is that if you have hand weights, a balance ball, or a couple other things you can let it know and it will incorporate exercises using these tools. bottom line from what I've heard: The Wii Fit is great for adding some fun and to help some of us get off our butts, but if you are looking for a real workout you're better off with something else.However, I have We Ski, that can be used with or without the balance board. I've used it without and feel like I am getting a great workout from that without even realizing it! Basically I think it's what you make of it. I know I have become very inactive lately so anything that is getting me up and moving will help, at least to start off with.
I don't think I would use Wii Fit as my only workout. It's not a bad deal though. Adult fitness hoops cost anywhere from $20-$60, add a dvd for $20 and you almost have the cost of the Fit, and hula hooping is just ONE feature of it.

One more thing about the fitness games. I have heard horrible things about the Jillian Michaels game. Much more of a fitness DVD than an interactive game. Apparently you can just stand there and she will still be telling you how good of a job you are doing! Just letting you all know not to waste your money if you are looking for the interactive part.

So, is "My Fitness Coach" a Wii game? How much does it tend to be? I hadn't heard of that one. First I DO need to get off my butt and use the Wii Fit that I've had forever but keep saying "I don't have time to do." I'll have to look into the other one too. Thanks!

I am back on my Wii Fit after the new year and love it. I was doing it at least 5 times a week for 30 minutes back in September and saw results but then life got in the way and I slacked off. I think the trick is to do some of the more challenging exercises rather than the balance games if you are trying to tone/lose. I just ordered the My Fitness Coach after hearing great things so I am looking forward to trying that out.

Yes, My Fitness Coach is a Wii "game". I just got it at Circuit City for $19.99 (it's on ad this week, usually $29.99. In the ad they said that it was balance board compatible but it is NOT. I knew this before purchasing it. Any bad reviews I have seen on it have been because they thought it would work with the Wii Fit board and it didn't).It has you do a fitness test to begin with and measure yourself in different areas so you can track your progress. Then you can chose what your fitness goal is, weight loss, toning, upper or lower body strength... etc. Then you tell it how many days a week and for how long you want to work out and it makes a program for you. I am still in the process of setting it up.

pampermejolene said:
Yes, My Fitness Coach is a Wii "game". I just got it at Circuit City for $19.99 (it's on ad this week, usually $29.99. In the ad they said that it was balance board compatible but it is NOT. I knew this before purchasing it. Any bad reviews I have seen on it have been because they thought it would work with the Wii Fit board and it didn't).

It has you do a fitness test to begin with and measure yourself in different areas so you can track your progress. Then you can chose what your fitness goal is, weight loss, toning, upper or lower body strength... etc. Then you tell it how many days a week and for how long you want to work out and it makes a program for you. I am still in the process of setting it up.

So, you don't have to have any extras to use this game?? It sounds like it is easier to find than Wii Fit and may be just what I need!

I have to tell you - one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life is my husband doing the hula hoops on Wii Fit!He is staying with it and doing his exercises every night - even kicked the kids off the TV so he could exercise last night.There is no hope for me because I couldn't even get the ski jump to register for me but it was still pretty fun - lots of silliness that makes you forget you are doing something good for your body. Not to mention the competition we have going in the house to be the top ranked in each area.So far, it's worth the money.

chefshawna said:
So, you don't have to have any extras to use this game?? It sounds like it is easier to find than Wii Fit and may be just what I need!

nope, no extras. It is more along the lines of a workout DVD (though it IS interactive unlike the Jillian Michaels Workout). And like I said before, or at least meant to, you can use equipment you already have... balance ball or weights, step, heart rate monitor. BUT, you don't need them.

This is what the back of the box says "Let Maya, your very own personal trainer, lead you through an intense fitness program featuring more than 450 unique exercises uniquely customized to fit your mood, preferred environment, and choice of music."

I'm excited to get into it.
I AM still planning on getting the Wii Fit but I think that will be more for the days I really have no motivation and need something fun to get me moving. :)

Thanks for all your help!! I'll have to look into getting this.

I LOVE the Wii Fit, I think it is SO worth it. My body was so sore the first few days.LOL

I was SO sore after the first time I played We Ski!! I couldn't believe it! Only played for about 20-30 minutes!

Ok, I have to chime in here again. I just came home with the Wii Fit (got the last one that they had at Target by me!). This thing is SO fun!!I do still like My Personal Trainer (especially if you can get it on sale). It has some stuff on it that the Fit doesn't and feels more like a "real" work out (a positive and negative all wrapped into one!) But the Wii Fit is just SUPER!! I've "banked" 30 minutes of exercise and I can feel it but was having fun the whole time!! It even had me laughing and smiling when I was jogging and I have NEVER jogged! Seriously, if you can find it, get it! It even weighs you and calculates your BMI for you! and it has you track your progress etc. AMAZING!! So worth it! And I'm excited because I have We ski which is also compatible with the board. And I can "hoop" with it without having to go outside with my hoops!! (some days have just been too cold or wet).And just a tip... if you do get it, buy the accessories for it at Circuit City if you can find them (as of posting all gaming stuff is 10% off). I got a yoga mat and board cover for just $21 (my good deal was partly because of an old sale tag that they hadn't yet removed that they honored in addition to the liquidation discount)!Go get it and get in shape and have fun!!

Before I was pregnant, I would use the WII fit every night with my DH. I never did the exercises or the yoga or strength training, but always did the games. The hula hoop really works your sides. I had lost my love handles thanks to this! I also lost weight and didn't realize i was because I was having so much fun (which is important to me). I can't wait to be able to do it again!!!

I have the Wii Fit, My Fitness Coach and I did have the Jillian Michaels game before it malfunctioned (in team mode).

Wii Fit is great for keeping you accountable to weigh in. It calculates BMI and weight. If you are not into the standard workout, it is a lot of fun. You do need to be disciplined about working out as often as you need to and for as long as you need to.

My Fitness Coach is great for keeping you on a well-rounded workout schedule. I love that once you log in all your measurements, it suggests a weekly calendar, and, day by day, the workouts themselves. You can choose music, locale, and it will also adapt to the equipment you have. I don't have to think about what do do next; I just focus on whatever "Mia" tells me to do.

I am glad I have both.

I really want the Wii Fit, but can't find it anywhere!!! I guess I'll have to call my local Wal-Mart everyday until I get one!! I would love to lose some of my love handles by having fun!

I was so annoyed because I saw it in the ad for Target and Best Buy (I think it was) today and thought, yea right! I went into Target looking for something else and wandered by the electronics and there it was sitting behind the counter. I didn't even realize there was people in line! I just walked up to the other side of the counter (they are kind of in a box in electronics) and said is that really a Wii Fit?? Can I buy it??? The guy said yea, but you have to wait in line. The guy must have thought I was a total spazz!! I bought it and walked out of the store without even getting what I went in there for! hahah! The Game Stops (around me anyway) were getting them in on Tuesdays and Thursday. Fry's was expecting a shipment last I checked. I say be patient and buy it from a store. I refused to support the jerks that clean out the stores and sell them for $130 on eBay. No matter how bad I wanted one I wasn't going to do that!

go to www.itrackr.com , sign up for free and put in your zip code and it will tell you area stores that have it in stock. It can be a little confusing. Or
PM me your zip code and I can search for you. this is how we got our WII and WII Fit over the summer.
chefshawna said:
I really want the Wii Fit, but can't find it anywhere!!! I guess I'll have to call my local Wal-Mart everyday until I get one!! I would love to lose some of my love handles by having fun!

One thing too about the Wii Fit is that therapists are now using them for PT and OT. Especially things like tennis, hula hoops, etch. Where my children go, they are using a couple of Wii's now, having great results.

We had been sitting on the fence about getting one, but now are saving/waiting for the tax refund to get one. Love hearing everyone experiences. Thanks!

I love my Wii fit!! Thank goodness a customer warned me about my Wii character's body shape changing to reflect mine. Whe I got on it the program said for my BMI to be 22 I needed to loose 8 lbs...my character looks a bit like a teletubby. That was motivation for me to get moving!

I missed 13 days while at conference (sinus infection when I got home). I got on it the other day and it said I gained 9.6 lbs and now needed to loose 16 lbs! It said I was borderline obese! The next day it said I lost 10lbs and should exercise the same time every day. That makes no sense! My son thinks the skin was on too tight. All I know is I was drastically bummed.

If it keeps fluctuating I guess I'll call Nintendo.

Oh, I did the boxing for 15 minutes the last 2 days. Wow, my arms are killing me, but in a good way. Maybe I'll actually gain some streanth there. I also did Hula Hoops, Running, Advanced Step and a few yoga positions...I mainly am working on the fat burning activities.

My biggest challenge is fighting my kids for time on it:)

I would love to have a check in with others to see if we are keeping this up.

chefshawna said:

I've called all surrounding Walmarts where I live, and they all said they get Wii shipments in Tuesdays. Maybe that is all WalMarts..

Also, check Ebay. There are people on there who do nothing but sell brand new Wiis & Wii Fits. As long as you check their feedback & see that they are honest sellers, you can get good deals!

We just got our Wii Saturday & my hubby & I LOVE it. We are sore and having a blast w/ just the Wii Sports! The Wii Fit is our next purchase, I just can't wait to track our weight loss & progress!

Another option is to get to Best Buy by 10:00am on Sunday and be waiting for the doors to open.

Chefgirl2 said:
I love my Wii fit!! Thank goodness a customer warned me about my Wii character's body shape changing to reflect mine. Whe I got on it the program said for my BMI to be 22 I needed to loose 8 lbs...my character looks a bit like a teletubby. That was motivation for me to get moving!

I missed 13 days while at conference (sinus infection when I got home). I got on it the other day and it said I gained 9.6 lbs and now needed to loose 16 lbs! It said I was borderline obese! The next day it said I lost 10lbs and should exercise the same time every day. That makes no sense! My son thinks the skin was on too tight. All I know is I was drastically bummed.

If it keeps fluctuating I guess I'll call Nintendo.

Oh, I did the boxing for 15 minutes the last 2 days. Wow, my arms are killing me, but in a good way. Maybe I'll actually gain some streanth there. I also did Hula Hoops, Running, Advanced Step and a few yoga positions...I mainly am working on the fat burning activities.

My biggest challenge is fighting my kids for time on it:)

I would love to have a check in with others to see if we are keeping this up.

I didn't even notice that the character reflected what we look like. I guess I'm not doing too bad then.

Thanks for mentioning the skin... I didn't even think about it that if that wasn't on correctly it might change your results.
I just talked to one of my girlfriends and she said she's lost 6 lbs in 22 days on it! YAY for her! I have a feeling it's going to start a competition between us! :p

I have lost 2lbs in 6 days :)

We love our wii fit. I probably wouldn't do it alone but it's great because my boyfriend and I will compete on who gets the better score and it really motivates us to just keep working out. Not to mention it's just fun! You don't even realize you are working out! Don't waste anymore time... GO GET ONE!

we just brought the wii and wii fit yesterday. i love it. my mil & fil has it and we always go over and play it there, but i am so happy that i have it for my house. my husband and his friends workout everyday at my house and on wednesdays they do cardo(?) so they said they will be using the wii on wednesdays. how funny that will be. a bunch of men 4 0r 5 of them from 24-28 years old using a wii to work out with. if you are looking for a good workout try the Yoga, very good. killed me last night when i tried it. lol!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one, the yoga kicked my butt this morning too!

yes it sure did; but i won't give up on it. i want to get better at it. so no giving up just yet. LOL!! ;)

Kodeysmom said:
go to iTrackr , sign up for free and put in your zip code and it will tell you area stores that have it in stock. It can be a little confusing. Or
PM me your zip code and I can search for you. this is how we got our WII and WII Fit over the summer.

Thanks for checking that for me, I called that Wal-Mart and they didn't have any. Gamestop said to check tomorrow between 11-12, so fingers crossed!!!

i did wii again last night and today i am a sore. i did hulahoops then i broke the code for super hula hoops very good. i worked out for 50 minutes last night. i liked how after 30 min the wii tells you to take a break and get some water. very nice.

I love the hooping! I made Mii's of my Mom and Dad and they end up being the ones that throw the hoops at me. I made my Mom watch and she thought it was hilarious when I didn't catch them and they hit me in the head! hahaha!Hopefully this will improve my speed with my real hooping skills :)

I just bought Outdoor Challenge last night. It is allot of fun. After about 5 minutes I am sweating! My DS who is 4.5 hasn't been home yet to try it out. I am hoping he likes it and can play some of the games. It comes with the mat.

Kodeysmom said:
I just bought Outdoor Challenge last night. It is allot of fun. After about 5 minutes I am sweating! My DS who is 4.5 hasn't been home yet to try it out. I am hoping he likes it and can play some of the games. It comes with the mat.

I wondered about that. Are there other games that you can play with the mat? What kind of activities are on there?

what is the outdoor challenge? i am a new wii buyer so i am not sure of all the games wii has, yet.

I GOT IT!!!!!!!! I called Game Stop at 11:30 this morning and they had just gotten their shipment in. So, I ran straight there and bought it!! We have been playing it ALL day! It is awesome and I feel like I have been working out, but still am having a blast. LOVE the hula hoops and all the balance activities.

I am still researching other games to use with the mat as well. I know there is Dance Dance Revolution but it also comes with a mat(same one).
Active Life: Outdoor Challenge for WII - Active Life: Outdoor Challenge Wii - Active Life: Outdoor Challenge WII Game
is a link to some more info on it.
There are a ton of games on it, whack a mole, log jump, trampoline, seesaw, jump rope, mountain boarder ( like snowboard),mine cart, the list goes on and on. It was $60 but worth the money. I watched it on ebay for awhile but none sold for any less than buying it at Walmart.
And my DS did play a few games in it when he came home.

rbvernon said:
what is the outdoor challenge? i am a new wii buyer so i am not sure of all the games wii has, yet.

1. Is Wii Fit a good exercise program for weight loss and fitness?

Wii Fit can be an effective exercise program for weight loss and fitness, but results may vary depending on individual effort and consistency. The program offers a variety of activities such as yoga, strength training, and aerobics that can help improve overall fitness and aid in weight loss.

2. Has anyone seen results from regularly using Wii Fit as an exercise program?

Many users have reported seeing results from regularly using Wii Fit as an exercise program. However, it is important to note that results may vary and consistency is key for achieving desired goals.

3. Can the Wii Fit balance board be used for other activities besides the exercise program?

Yes, the Wii Fit balance board can be used for other activities besides the exercise program. It can be used for games such as skiing, snowboarding, and balance challenges. These activities can also provide a fun and interactive way to stay active and burn calories.

4. Is Wii Fit suitable for all fitness levels?

Wii Fit offers a range of activities that can be suitable for various fitness levels. Some activities may be more challenging for beginners, while others may be more suitable for those with a higher fitness level. It is important to listen to your body and modify or skip activities as needed.

5. Can Wii Fit be used as the sole exercise program for weight loss and fitness?

While Wii Fit can be a fun and effective exercise program, it is not recommended to rely solely on it for weight loss and fitness. It is important to have a well-rounded fitness routine that includes a mix of cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and proper nutrition for best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
gingertannery
  • chefsteph07
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
robochick84
  • PampMomof3
  • General Chat
2 3