• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you tried using a FoodSaver for bulk food storage?

I have the machine and it's ok but they are expensive- I try to buy them at kohl's when I have a 30% off coupon
NooraK
Gold Member
I've been contemplating getting a FoodSaver for a while. I've discovered a company called Zaycon Foods through which I can get bulk orders of chicken, ground beef, bacon, and recently even fish. Even if I split an order quite a bit of it has to go in the freezer, and regular freezer bags just aren't cutting it.

Anyone have a FoodSaver? Any opinions?

I have had one for 2 years...I do like it, but I don't use it as much as I thought I would. There is a meat place whose chicken goes on sale a few times a year for a 40# box you get the special sale price, I usually split this w/ my mom and we spend an hour or so freezing our chicken...but the bags are expensive so I tend to use regular freezer bags more for ground meat and everything else. I just don't put things in "deep freeze" long enough. But, I DO like it for when I need it.

We have one...and like it when we use it.

I agree, the bags are expensive (I try to buy them at Kohl's when I have a 30% off coupon) so what happens is I get "stingy". I don't use it when I am putting something in for short-term - but I really should use it more.

My only problem with the model we have is that you waste a lot of the bag in the sealing process. I think it needs about an inch (or more) from the edge of the bag to the seal. Our old one had a smaller clearance. This is a problem when we want to use part of something out of a bag and re-seal it. We need to make the bag pretty long to accomodate the extra opens/seals.

But, for what you are describing, this may be exactly what you are looking for. It really does work. We find it protects against freezer burn.

Also, we have the Foodsaver containers. Those are good for Pantry or refrigerator items. When we used to buy cofee (before k-cups) we always kept our ground coffee in a foodsaver container.

We always use the containers for marinating meat. We "puncture" the meat and then put it in the container with the marinade. Then vacuum the air out of it with the foodsaver. They say it helps marinade the meat quicker.

Ours would be used more often if the bags were cheaper. They say you can re-use them - just wash them. I have put them in the dishwasher before. I am hesitant to re-use them if I have used them with raw meat. No matter how much I wash the bag, I am worried about the raw meat contamination.

I loved ours when we used it but we started having issues after a while (it could have been user error!). The only thing that was a little annoying was if you wanted to freeze something juicy (hamburger and such), you had to freeze it before you seal it or all the juices would squeeze out!

Same thoughts as others mentioned. I buy the bags in the big box of various sizes, and cut my own size bags. Not sure if that's what others get or not. It's been awhile since I've had to buy a box. I think usually I can get them at Walmart.Ziploc bags aren't cheap though! So for price, I think it probably comes out better with the FoodSaver. I haven't used it in awhile, but typically use it when I freeze fruit. Not so much for meat- since (A) juicy/wet products are a pain to do as mentioned, and (B) - we use them pretty fast. But it does do a great job protecting against freezer burn.

Thank you very much for your opinions! I looked at one in Costco yesterday, but it was $150. It's been on sale before, so I think I'll research the different models a bit more, and wait to see if it goes on sale again.

Like Kam said-buy it at Kohls (if you have their card) and use the 30% off WHEN they are also giving you Kohls cash back. It really ends up not being so bad cost wise, especially when you think about the money you save by buying in large quanities.

This is the one I have. I like it because you can store and cut the bags right in the machine: http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbrandskiosk/kitchen/foodsaver/PRD~373466/FoodSaver+v3840+Vacuum+Packaging+System.jsp

If you don't have a Kohls Card, and don't want to get one (the one credit card that I just LOVE having! you get lots of coupons!), Bed Bath and Beyond also sell them. You can often time find a 20% off coupon for them too.

Def buy the rolls and cut your own bags instead of buying the already made bags. Thats cheaper too. My inlaws found off brand foodsaver bags somewhere and they worked just as good. May not be quite as thick, but did the job the same.

My only complaint is sometimes they don't seal right. You think that its tight but you go in a few days later and theres air in the bag. Not a huge deal, just use it sooner than the other stuff. We tend to bag and freeze 1/2 cows and pigs at a time so we do a LOT of sealing and it may only happen once or twice per set.

One tip-for things that could be really juicy/bloody, throw it in the freezer for about 1/2 hr-an hr so its more soild. This will really help with the sealing process. If y ou're pulling too much juice out, the machine will act up and just stop sealing right. We learned this the hard way when we froze sweet corn!

I just went up on PriceGrabber.com and found various models on sale for anywhere from $60 to $160, even the bags seem reasonable depending on the vendor.I use PriceGrabber all the time, most recently I found an accessory for my car for twenty bucks less than any brick-and-mortar store had it here.

I have one but I've only used it a couple times. I have found bags that you can use with it at Walmart for pretty cheap. I also have their containers and then you have this "wand" that sucks the air out. We use that the most. It's really neat.

I love mine, they have many models. One does the wet juicy foods better Can't remember which one.

I used mine all the time until it just died recently Now I need a new one. I bought the rolled plastic from walmart and made my own bags. I re-used them too after washing them. I labeled the outside with what type of raw meat was in there and would only re-use them with the same kind of raw meat. I'm still alive to tell about it, so as far as I know I haven't been cross contaminated too much.

We LOVE ours and are on our second one. Noora, for your purposes, you will probably like it. Most people have not mentioned that while the bags are not cheap, they are washable and reusable. I have the same machine as pctharper and I like it because it will stop a little earlier for wet foods and you can force a seal at any time (nice if you have buns you want to freeze)

I am not so anal that I make sure that if the bags had chicken in them last time, I only use them for chicken. I wash them out really good with our kitchen brush, let them air dry and they're ready for the next use. As a result, I cut my own bags and start with them long because my new machine requires about an inch at the top to seal. I use that top inch to label what's currently in the bag (that is the end that I will cut off when we open it also) I get several uses out of each bag. When they're too short for meat, they get parmesan cheese.

The other thing I love to do with my Food Saver is when I freeze my meats, I put my flavorings in with it (rubs, sauces, etc...) The vacuum does a good job of sucking those seasonings into the meat and letting it marinade while it's freezing and thawing. When I'm ready to cook, all I have to do is thaw a bag and go, it's already marinated.

I dont know if this is everywhere, but here, my area Kohl's has them on sale this weekend for $79.99 + 10% on Friday eve (3-12midnight), and Saturday (7-1pm). Plus, for here, it is a extra bucks weekend to get extra dollars for later.

I also use mine for the Wilton fondant. That way I can see the color at a glance and the fondant remains soft and does not dry out. I also seal up the tube of e6000 glue I use, it use to always dry up no matter how tight I would screw the cap. I basically use it a lot with food and also lots of other stuff.

esavvymom said:
I dont know if this is everywhere, but here, my area Kohl's has them on sale this weekend for $79.99 + 10% on Friday eve (3-12midnight), and Saturday (7-1pm). Plus, for here, it is a extra bucks weekend to get extra dollars for later.

I checked the local ad, and I do see the Night-Owl/Early-Bird special here, too. The model is V2450, and looks to be smaller than the one at Costco. I'll have to look if that one will be suitable for our needs. Anyone have this particular one?

NooraK said:
I checked the local ad, and I do see the Night-Owl/Early-Bird special here, too. The model is V2450, and looks to be smaller than the one at Costco. I'll have to look if that one will be suitable for our needs. Anyone have this particular one?

I haven't had to buy one in forever, but I did go to Foodsavers website and they let you compare up to 3 models. I picked the v2450 and another one that looked "bigger". I noticed the v2450 doesn't have a few features that I like on mine (mine is much older...so model number no longer available). But adjustable speed, canister mode, accessory button, etc...all things I use with my model. I would miss them.

Maybe if you know the model at Costco, you can do a comparison on the website? (assuming it was Foodsaver brand. I looked on Costco's website, and it was another brand..so wasn't sure.)

esavvymom said:
I haven't had to buy one in forever, but I did go to Foodsavers website and they let you compare up to 3 models. I picked the v2450 and another one that looked "bigger". I noticed the v2450 doesn't have a few features that I like on mine (mine is much older...so model number no longer available). But adjustable speed, canister mode, accessory button, etc...all things I use with my model. I would miss them.

Maybe if you know the model at Costco, you can do a comparison on the website? (assuming it was Foodsaver brand. I looked on Costco's website, and it was another brand..so wasn't sure.)

That's my dilemma. The Coscto website doesn't have the one I saw in store. I did Google some results, and compared the version I believe Costco sells, but when the comparison came up, there were no green checks for the Costco model at all.

Thank you though for listing the features you like. The canister mode certainly sounds like something I would want.

I have one that cost about $80. The bags no are not cheap but I do reuse mine to some extent! I simply wash them out with soap and water. If I use them for meat, yes, I do pre-freeze then seal them, and toss those bags. I like mine so much that every fall when I can, I do corn on the cob, apple slices for things like pies and even berries when in season. Yes, I spread them out on a cookie sheet and freeze them first then seal them. I pulled out the last package of corn I did last August. Pat nor I could tell they were that old. Awesome stuff! In fact, I simply poked a couple of holes in the bag and threw them in the microwave for about 8 minutes then let them sit about 10 minutes. Really good and NOT WATER LOGGED!!!! I also have a couple of the canisters. the ones I really like are short rectangles. I put my cheese in them mostly. I lost one in the fridge about three months ago. It slipped under the meat drawer. Well, I opened it up and expected a science themed food substance. Nope. It stayed good that whole time! I was shocked. So... Chicken wings and legs are Pat's favorites. I picked up trays of these last February for about 25 cents a pound. We bought 10 pounds of each. I separated them out, froze them then packaged them 4 pieces per bag for the legs and 8 wings. He is still eating them and has never complained of freezer burn. No kidding. We will see what the rest look like because there are at least 4 servings - well into September - left to make. Mine was worth the cost.

Google "foodsaver coupons (or coupon code)". That's what I did and was able to find a really good coupon code. :)

I ended up picking one up at Kohl's today. The other models were included in the Early Bird specials, and I had a 20% off coupon, and I got Kohl's Cash.

I have been using a food saver since 2002. In 2010, I decided to upgrade mine and I hated it; I gave it away to Goodwill. I hope you bought the cheaper version, the newer upright version uses 2-3 inches more of the bag for sealing; it's so wasteful! I have learned how to seal the bag at the bottom so it only has 1 inch or less waste. The top is always tricky. If it's wet, I always double seal the bag. The first seal, I then wipe it with a paper towel then quick seal it for the second time. I love that you don't smell the food in the freezer unlike ziploc bags and it only gets frosty if the seal was bad.

If you know someone in the military and deploying, this is the best way to seal our military gear and it protects it from the sand and dirt. During redeployment, all you have to do is cut the bag open and turn in the equipment; no cleaning necessary. Believe me, it works and you can pack so much more in your footlocker.

What is a Foodsaver and how does it work?

A Foodsaver is a vacuum sealing system that helps preserve food by removing air and sealing it in an airtight bag or container. It works by using a vacuum to remove air from specially designed bags or containers, creating an airtight seal that helps keep food fresh for longer periods of time.

What are the benefits of using a Foodsaver?

Using a Foodsaver can help save money by reducing food waste, as well as save time by allowing you to prepare and store meals in advance. It also helps prevent freezer burn and maintains the flavor and freshness of food for longer periods of time.

Are there any specific types of food that should not be vacuum sealed?

While most foods can be vacuum sealed, there are some exceptions. Foods with sharp edges, such as raw meat bones or chips, can puncture the bag. Soft or delicate foods, such as berries or bread, may also become squashed when vacuum sealed. Additionally, foods with high liquid content, such as soups or stews, may not seal properly and can leak. It is recommended to freeze these types of foods before vacuum sealing them.

How do I clean and maintain my Foodsaver?

To clean your Foodsaver, wipe the outside of the machine with a damp cloth and mild detergent. For the sealing strip, use a soft cloth and warm soapy water. Make sure to dry all parts thoroughly before using again. It is also recommended to clean the vacuum channel regularly with a small brush or pipe cleaner to prevent clogs. Refer to the user manual for specific cleaning instructions for your model.

Can I use generic or non-Foodsaver brand bags with my Foodsaver?

Yes, you can use generic or non-Foodsaver brand bags with your Foodsaver. However, make sure to use bags specifically designed for vacuum sealing and follow the instructions for your machine. Using generic bags may affect the sealing process and may not provide the same level of protection for your food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• blueberrylady
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Stampaholic1961
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • sOhSherri