• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Food Tax Confusion: Questions from a Newbie

Summary: In summary, food tax is a special tax added to certain food items in some states and varies in amount depending on location. It is not the same as state tax and can be checked on the Tax Rate Guide section on Consultant Corner or by contacting customer service.
HJPChef
Hi! I am new and am ordering demo samples of the pantry items on the supply order form. Just wondering . . . what is food tax? When I go to the grocery store, I don't think I pay food tax. Is this a special tax that PC adds in? How much do I put down? Or is it my state tax? I'm confused!

Thanks,

HJS

Go to Consultant Corner...There is a section on the far right that has a list of things including a "Tax Rate Guide". You NEED to be very familiar with where this is. Especially if you ever do out of state catalog shows.

All you do is click on that then either key in the state and city or the zip code to bring up the tax table. This will tell you if you need to charge tax on food items.
Then, check out any one of the outside order forms provided by the company to to make sure about tax on shipping. There is a blurb at the bottom of the outside order form that tells you who is not charged shipping and handling tax.

Food TaxThanks sooooo much! I learn something new about all this just about everyday. I'll check it right now :)

Yea! I found it!Thanks for the info. You were right on with your directions. My tax rate is 0% . . . just the information I was looking for. Thanks for being so helpful!

hjs

Hi HJS,Welcome to the Pampered Chef family! I'm happy to hear that you are ordering demo samples of the pantry items on the supply order form. As for food tax, it is a special tax that is added to certain food items in some states. It is not the same as your state tax. The amount of food tax varies depending on your location. I recommend checking with your local tax laws or contacting customer service for more information. Hope this helps clarify things for you!Best,

What is a food tax?

A food tax is a type of sales tax that is applied to specific food items, such as groceries, prepared meals, and beverages. It is typically charged by the state or local government and is included in the final price of the food item.

What food items are typically subject to a food tax?

The specific food items that are subject to a food tax vary by state and locality. In general, most groceries, including fruits, vegetables, and unprepared meats, are not subject to a food tax. However, prepared meals, snacks, and beverages, such as soda and alcohol, may be subject to a food tax.

Why is there a food tax?

The purpose of a food tax is to generate revenue for the state or local government. It is often used to fund public services, such as education, healthcare, and infrastructure.

How is a food tax calculated?

The rate of a food tax is typically a percentage of the final price of the food item. The specific rate varies by state and locality, and some areas may have exemptions or reduced rates for certain food items. The food tax is usually included in the total price at the point of sale.

Do all states and localities have a food tax?

No, not all states and localities have a food tax. Some areas do not have any sales tax at all, while others may have a sales tax that does not apply to food items. It is important to check the specific tax laws in your state and locality to determine if a food tax applies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smilesarepriceless
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • kam
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • Tracy99