• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hosting a Recipe? Questions about Buying Ingredients

payment at show time for the groceries. My question is: what if there is an ingredient (like apricot jelly in the brie recipes) where you only...use a small amount...do you purchase the jelly and keep it not charging the host for it (just bring what you need for the show) or do you have the host pay for it?
chefheidi2003
Gold Member
I have another question. How many of you buy the ingredients for the recipe?? Do you get the host to then reimburse you or do you just pay for that?? I have thought about it because it is usually cheaper to do things in bulk and also that way if there is something that should be done before I get there then I can do it and I know that it is done right. Not saying that our hosts are stupid I just like to know what I am going to have to work with. I know that they are getting $15 worth of products for it but I figure opening up your home is worth $15.

I buy them and bring them so I have the right stuff and fresh stuff. I ask them to reimburse me for actual cost if under $15 and $15 if over (I donate the extra $1 or $2).

I Buy the ingredents so I have the right stuff.... And like this week since I have three shows on back to back day's and all three host wanted the same recipe I just bought the stuff in bulk.... but I don't' ask for reimbursement

janetupnorth said:
I buy them and bring them so I have the right stuff and fresh stuff. I ask them to reimburse me for actual cost if under $15 and $15 if over (I donate the extra $1 or $2).

Are your hosts ok with that?? That is my biggest concern about asking people for the money I am afraid that they will get nasty about it.

chefheidi2003 said:
Are your hosts ok with that?? That is my biggest concern about asking people for the money I am afraid that they will get nasty about it.

That is what I have always been kind of nervous about..... so I never ask to be reimbursed for the grocery's.....

If I purchase the ingredients I do not ask for reimbursement. I usually bring part of the ingredients with me or i I'm doing a second recipe I'll bring them for that. I save the receipt and write it off as a biz expense.

I always purchase the ingredients for one recipe. I pay for it. This way I know that I have exactly what I need and I don't have to worry about the host "trying to help" and preparing any of the food for me. It is tax deductable and I still always make a profit. Plus I usually ahve lots of the ingredients right in my pantry so I don't have to actually go out and buy everything the recipe calls for. I love the reaction I get when hosts ask me what I need them to buy and I say "NOTHING". Then they have the extra cash to supply snacks and drinks if they choose without feeling like they have gone over board.

I'm pretty bad, too, about requesting reimbursement. A clustermate makes sure she mentions it in her host coaching. She says, "Now, you can pick up the ingredients, or I offer a shopping service for my hosts, and we'd add the $15 to what you owe when we close the show." Most of her shows come in right around $15 for the ingredients, and then if she buys in bulk she doesn't have to worry about having multiple hosts on one receipt.

I bring part of the ingredients.....for instance, tonight I am doing Mini Pesto Pizzas and the Fizz drink, so I am bringing the parmesan cheese (her response to me on that - "Oh - I didn't even know you could get parmesan cheese in a block"!) and making the pesto ahead of time and bringing it. I am also bring Roma tomatoes from my garden......tired of getting the wrong kind or over-ripe tomatoes!
When I bring ingredients, its usually because it's stuff I keep on hand, and don't want the host to have to buy if it is something she won't use again, or it's because my past experience is that hosts have a hard time getting that ingredient right. (like the roma tomatoes)
I don't ask for reimbursement.

I buy the groceries and then get reimbursed.

I've tinkered with this idea, and I think I'll make it part of the host coaching that I expect payment at show time for the groceries. My question is: what if there is an ingredient (like apricot jelly in the brie recipes) where you only use a small amount...do you purchase the jelly and keep it not charging the host for it (just bring what you need for the show) or do you have the host pay for it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tinkered with this idea, and I think I'll make it part of the host coaching that I expect payment at show time for the groceries. My question is: what if there is an ingredient (like apricot jelly in the brie recipes) where you only use a small amount...do you purchase the jelly and keep it not charging the host for it (just bring what you need for the show) or do you have the host pay for it?

OK, first off, hehe.. Chfheidi, Usually they always understand when i tell them i need them to reimburse me.. but if you want to do that for them, then i think that is good!
OK now Missy, What i do, is i buy say the jelly, then i use what i need, and she keeps all of the ingredients left if she paid for them!
I think doing it this way is easier for me to keep up with!

missyciccolella said:

Unless it's a really bizarre ingredient I'm not going to use again, I don't charge them. Things like flour, sugar, onions, etc I just absorb. :)

feather18 said:
OK now Missy, What i do, is i buy say the jelly, then i use what i need, and she keeps all of the ingredients left if she paid for them!
I think doing it this way is easier for me to keep up with!

I know if I charge her for it she keeps it. My point is I cook a lot and really unusual stuff but I (like most people) don't keep apricot jelly in the fridge so I was really asking for clarification if you would absorb the cost and use the jelly for future shows. I guess I wasn't clear with my question.

Thanks legacypc46 for your input! I will probably do the same or ask the host to have that available as flour, sugar etc seem to be a staple in most kitchens.

I bring my own/pay for my own. That way, I know I have exactly what I want/need. I would rather my host spend time getting orders and guests there than worrying about my ingredient list!
If you try and do the same 1 or 2 recipes a month, you can really save on ingredients - whether you charge the host or not!

The jelly, instant coffee, etc. things people don't usually have around the house, I will supply. My hosts purchase all other ingredients. If I want a certain item, I make sure the host knows exactly what it is and where to find it. I do offer purchasing the ingredients in December, as I usually do no-demo shows as a way to encourage bookings. Hosts love just inviting friends and eating and seeing the holiday displays I make.

I buy the ingredients because I prep most of my stuff before the show... just add a few things during the demo. In my host coaching I tell them that I want the show to be as easy on them as possible so I will pick up the ingredients for the recipes and all they will incur is $15 to cover it and we will tack that on at the end of the show. I also tell them that if it is less, that is what they will pay but if it is more, I just absorb that. I tell them it is just a service I offer my hosts - No one has a problem with it but I am also not too far outside of my circle so there is a friend of a friend trust thing going on too. It is all in how you word it and I usually have my receipt with me just in case they question it.

missyciccolella said:
I know if I charge her for it she keeps it. My point is I cook a lot and really unusual stuff but I (like most people) don't keep apricot jelly in the fridge so I was really asking for clarification if you would absorb the cost and use the jelly for future shows. I guess I wasn't clear with my question.

I was just explaining how i do it. But everyone does theirs different. I think that if you are comfortable absorbing costs then go for it! I am just starting out and can not afford to do that. But what i bring they keep everything. :rolleyes:

ok, I've been rethinking the whole ingredients thing too as I had a host completely blow up on me about her purchasing the ingredients. Which btw, she cancelled the show by leaving a message on my machine, then went to my website and sent the message to not contact her again.

So, for those of you who do purchase the ingredients, do you only offer certain recipes for the month?

amy07 said:
ok, I've been rethinking the whole ingredients thing too as I had a host completely blow up on me about her purchasing the ingredients. Which btw, she cancelled the show by leaving a message on my machine, then went to my website and sent the message to not contact her again.
That's terrible! Especially because HO words the extra FPV cooking show hosts get as a thank you for purchasing the ingredients.

amy07 said:

So, for those of you who do purchase the ingredients, do you only offer certain recipes for the month?
How rude! Bless and release....I think that one was a blessing in disguise! Be thankful that you do not have to work with someone like that.

really ! man that is terrible! You probally didnt want her as a host anyway..:mad:

I pay for the ingredients. To me it's just easier. I use the same recipe all month, so I can buy lots of things in larger quantities.

I am not sure why a host would be upset about paying for the ingredients. I always feed people when I have any kind of party. The great thing about Pampered Chef is that they give the host $15 in free products to help cover that cost. I have never had another direct sales company that offered that feature.

I"ve been purchasing the ingredients... in my host coaching I tell them that if they would like me to bring the ingredients, they can give me a check for $15 up front and I will help them out in that respect, and I remind them taht they get that back in their first $15 of free product. I ask them to give me the check along with the $$$ for their postage. I've not had one person balk at this request, just had one strange reaction but she wound up cancelling her show so I dont' think it was about the money. I did have one host pay me less for groceries b/c we were serving something with ice cream, adn she was a long drive from my house, so I had her pick up the ice cream. Other than that, I 'm not worrying about it if it comes out more or less in actual grocery expense--if it is more I am writing it off, if it is less then somehow it all works out in the balance. I also figure if it is less, then that is in part b/c I shopped in bulk, and if they had just gone out and bought the ingredients it would have cost them more.

I try to do one recipe for the month and then buy the ingredients (non-perishable) when they go on sale. I have the host reimburse me unless it's a $1000 show.

I buy the ingredients.

I ask to be reimbursed $15 for the ingredients. That covers two recipes.

I show them the table in the back of the catalog say they get the $15 back in free product.

If I have a host that wants more than two recipes I say "I require at least 12 definite Yes's to make a third recipe. AND it will cost additional money for a third recipe."

Realistically it always costs me at least $15 and sometimes more.

I have been trying to decide if I should ask for the $15 before the show. (Wondering if they put the $15 down when booking if that would be an incentive on their part to actually invite people and hold the show.)

$15 "deposit"That's an interesting idea, asking for the grocery costs up front. It might make them think twice about cancelling, and you wouldn't have to bother them again later to get reimbursed..has anyone tried this? How did it go over with the host?

hmmm.... intriguing..... If they did cancel, you could tell them that they'd get the deposit back when they returned the host packet.

I purchase the groceries and ask for $10 from the host. It is part of my host coaching and so they know about it ahead of time and most are so relieved that they do not have to shop for the ing. Also as for the question on things you use only part of, I am telling them that I buy in bulk for my shows and so I can keep the recipe costs to $10 for them and so they aren't expecting to get to "Keep" any ingredients. I do of course leave the recipe leftovers with them, if there are any.

I have been doing this about a year and love it -- especially being able to prep things at home some.

I have the host get the ingredients, except for spices and things like extracts that would be costly if you just need a bit.

If I am offering a "bonus date" (a date I really want to fill close in), I make that a part of the bonus...that I would bring the ingredients.

My recipe/shopping list to the host includes only those ingredients I need her to buy and when I talk to the host prior to the show I go over things that I don't want them to over-buy on. For example, if I need 1 tomato, I really don't want her to buy 4 of the darn things!

Question 1: How do I become a host for a recipe?

To become a host for a recipe, you can reach out to the recipe developer or company and express your interest in hosting. They will usually have a set of requirements and guidelines for hosting, so make sure to follow them carefully.

Question 2: Can I modify the recipe for my own preferences?

It is generally not recommended to modify the recipe, especially if it is a new or experimental recipe. However, if you have dietary restrictions or allergies, you can communicate with the recipe developer and see if any modifications can be made.

Question 3: Do I need to buy ingredients for the recipe?

Yes, as a host, it is expected that you will provide the necessary ingredients for the recipe. However, if there are any specific ingredients that you are unable to provide, you can discuss it with the recipe developer beforehand.

Question 4: How do I coordinate with the host for ingredient purchases?

You can communicate with the host and discuss how to handle ingredient purchases. Some hosts may prefer to purchase the ingredients themselves and be reimbursed, while others may prefer for the host to purchase the ingredients directly.

Question 5: Is it better to buy ingredients in bulk for hosting a recipe?

It is generally more cost-effective to buy ingredients in bulk for hosting a recipe. However, it is important to communicate with the host and make sure they are comfortable with this arrangement. Additionally, if there are any ingredients that need to be prepared before the host arrives, it is helpful to have them on hand in advance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Michelle817
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
stacywhitlow
  • nancycookspc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
nancycookspc
  • janezapchef