• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fondant Recipe for You Barbie Cake Bakers

In summary, Charlie shared information on how to make fondant inexpensively. Debbie shared that Wilton fondant is yucky and that there are other, more expensive, options. Debbie also shared that she is going to sign up for a class at Michaels to learn more about fondant.
chee65
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

I found this link on how to make fondant inexpensively, I haven't tried it yet but will within the next 2 weeks. I will let you know how it turns out. If you decide to make it before I do, please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Charlie

Wow! I am saving that link! What a wealth of information! Thanks for sharing with us!

Making FondantI have heard from some very professional bakers that making fondant is hard. I would love to try this but don't forget that it is sold in all different colors and not it's not very expensive if you shop for bargains.

Debbie :D

How much?Debbie, the cheapest I've been able to find fondant is $4.99/lb. How much do you spend on fondant? I make quite a few cakes and some are very big. So I was hoping for a cheaper way to do it.

WoW!! How awesome is that. :D I'm going to have to try that. My nieces birthday is coming up here soon. I guess I'll have to make a doll cake and try this out. The link is saved in my favorites. Thanks for Sharing!!!;)

Wilton fondant is yuckyI looked at the website and it's the same fondant recipe I have. I have used it and I really like it. I thought this was a recipe for regular fondant where you use gelatin, glycerin, and glucose plus other ingredients.
I hate wilton fondant. It tastes yucky. Even after trying to flavor it, it tastes yucky. I have used it when it was all I had on hand and my guests ate it at a bridal shower. My kids love to play with it when they decorate on their own cakes and I don't let them play with my good stuff.

The good stuff:
Marshmallow Fondant (it's sweet but is yummy and easy to make), Chocopan (rolled white chocolate, melts faster but is delicious and taste like chocolate), or even Pettinice fondant. There is also something called satin ice but I have never used it.

www.sugarcraft.com
These cost more than Wilton but are worth it. And I can usually get it at the local cake decorating shops.

If you make it before I get a chance to, please let me know how it goes.

DebbieSAChef said:
www.sugarcraft.com
These cost more than Wilton but are worth it. And I can usually get it at the local cake decorating shops.

Oh my gosh, they have the cookie cutter I've been looking for starting some 10 years ago. I make these gingerbread sleighs for my family many years. Its always a nightmare. I'd asked my step-brother to make me a cookie cutter for the parts since he is in the metal cutting business but it never happened. Wait until I show up at home with the cookie cutter for my nephew that I gave a "kit" to last year.

Great
tlennhoff said:
Oh my gosh, they have the cookie cutter I've been looking for starting some 10 years ago. I make these gingerbread sleighs for my family many years. Its always a nightmare. I'd asked my step-brother to make me a cookie cutter for the parts since he is in the metal cutting business but it never happened. Wait until I show up at home with the cookie cutter for my nephew that I gave a "kit" to last year.

Good for you! That's great! Yes their website is very helpful!!! I love it and they do have everything I could possibly need for my cake, cookie or dessert decorating needs!!

Wow I do love those cookie cutters. I'm gonna have to get me a couple. They are so adorable. I've never seen anything like it.

Did anybody else see on Michael's website that all Wilton classes are 40% off in April and there is a fondant class? I think I may have to make a visit to Michaels tomorrow to sign up!

I did it. I made the MM fondant and it turned out great. Was very easy to make and really inexpensive for the amount it makes. I made a Christening Cake and it turned out very nice. Everyone was very impressed and said that it tasted very good. My sister was a bit hesitant when she heard it was fondant, because she tasted it before at a bridal fair and she didn't like it. But when she tried this one she loved it. She said it tasted alot like buttercream frosting. Maybe it's because I had a coat of butter cream under it. I was so surprised at how well it cut. I made a 2 tier cake. A deep dish baker size on the bottom and a 2 layer 9 in cake on top. It fed alot of people. When I get a chance I will post a pic here. I will definitely be using this again. Now I can't wait for the next cake. LOL

I made it too! It looks like quite a mess till it comes together, but it worked! It tasted really good, and was easy to roll out. I made an Easter Egg cake for Easter Sunday, and then made another one Friday to take to a fundraiser table I was setting up...then took it to our Team Meeting Friday night for all of us to eat! I took a few pictures...just need to find my cable to download my pics to the computer first! LOL

I can't wait to see, you creative bakers!!

Well here's mine. I hope I'm doing this right.

Attachments

• christening cake.jpg
    christening cake.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 485
Easter EggI'd love to see that Easter Egg.:)

chee65 said:
How cute! Wow, the fondant looks great... I've never tried a cake with fondant before b/c it always looks "involved", but you had great results!

Charlie that is the cutest cake!!! I didn't make it to the Wilton Fondant classes, but after reading this thread again I may have to try it myself next weekend!

chee65 said:
That is just adorable!!

You did an excellent job! How did you color the fodant, just knead it in?

chee65 said:

That is adorable! I want to try it now too!!:)

Fondant recipeHow long will the fondant last if you cover something other than an edible item? I was thinking of covering something the shape of a cake and then I could possibly reuse it. or not?

Not much of a decorator.

Kathy

Kathy~

I would think it would dry fine if you wanted to re-use a sample! It's just made of marshmallows and powdered sugar, so there isn't anything that should spoil/go rancid. You would just need to be careful with it once dried--I would think it would crack if you hit it with anything!

I made the mm fondant several times for my kids birthday cakes (because now where would you find a "planet cake" and a Patrick cake?) I add a little almond extract. It is easy to work with after the sticky stage, it is just like play doh!
I hope the link works.
http://picasaweb.google.com/naplespamperedchef/20061014DylanSParty/photo#5054092876110545122

http://picasaweb.google.com/naplespamperedchef/20061014DylanSParty/photo#5054092858930675922

Oh this looks like so much fun!! hehe....question, how do you get a flat piece of fondant to wrap around a rounded cake (or a planet!) without creases?

Oh my! Those are the cutest cakes ever!!

I LOVE the Patrick cake! You are a super artist!!!!!

I'm not worthy...I'm not worthy...

LOL

jenniferknapp said:
Oh this looks like so much fun!! hehe....question, how do you get a flat piece of fondant to wrap around a rounded cake (or a planet!) without creases?
That website with the recipe tells you step by step, but really you just roll out the fondant, then "roll it" onto your rolling pin (can't use the Bakers roller here, a regular size pin...) and then "unroll it" over the cake. Use your hands to smooth it out, and then cut around the base and push it in towards the bottom of the cake to make it look finished! If you fold the fondant and try to unfold it onto your cake, you will have creases on the surface that you can't fix. (found this out with my first cake, then used my big rolling pin for the second cake!) It really is easy!

I guess I will just have to try it myself! But I will have to stop at the $ store first, so that I can buy a full size rolling pin :p

To add color you just simply knead the color in. Very easy.

I used the baker's roller for mine. It worked great because the baker's roller is kind of nonstick. I also use the tupperware mat (I know I said a bad word) and it is virtually nonstick too. I do grease the bakers roller and mat with crisco first. To transfer to cake I just simply put the mat over the cake and walla. For the smaller cake I just simply lifted it quickly and placed on cake.

M&M fondant will keep for a while just coat it in crisco. According to the directions you can make it up to 2 weeks in advance.

At room temperature I'm sure the fondant will last a long time. It will get hard after several days. But I made my cake the day before and the fondant was still easy to cut. It tasted like a very sweet buttercream.

I can't wait to make the next cake.

The cake with planet and stars is so cute.

I've always wanted to take the Wilton classes but just never had time. So here I am just doing it hands on and having a great time with it. It's actually really, really easy.

The Patrick and planets cake are adorable! Alright, I'm going to have to try making fondant. I need to now talk my girlfriend into doing the "3 times a bridesmaid" PC show that I want her to do, then I'll have an excuse to do the bride cake! ;)

I will be posting the pics of my Easter Egg cake soon. We still could not find the connector cord to download pictures from my camera to the computer so I ordered one! It shipped today, and as soon as I get it, I will get my pic posted!

Here are my pics of my Easter Cake. Unfortunately, they are kindof dark.:mad:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/KellyTheChef/EasterEggCake4-07.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/KellyTheChef/EasterEggCakeoverview.jpg

I took the beginners Wilton classes at Michael's a couple of years ago. The classes are cheap, but where they get you are all the supplies you need for them! I spent $150 on supplies such as tips and things. The first class was a tour through the store telling us all the things we had to have!

I love that Easter Egg. I'll have to remember it for next year. I'm assuming you used the Batter Bowl for it.

chee65 said:
I love that Easter Egg. I'll have to remember it for next year. I'm assuming you used the Batter Bowl for it.
Yes! Just bake it, slice it in half vertically, and then put both of the "tops" facing inwards. They didn't match up, and instead of cutting off a bunch of the cake to make them match, I just used frosting to fill in the gap. You need to use frosting on the outside of the cake anyhow so the fondant has something to stick to! Then, once the fondant is on there, you can't even tell where I "fixed" the cake!

That looks great Kelly! I love it :)

FootballI think I'm going to try making a football instead of an egg and just cover it in brown then pipe the threads for it. My son would like that. Thanks for the great idea.

1. What ingredients do I need to make fondant for a Barbie cake?

To make fondant for a Barbie cake, you will need marshmallows, water, powdered sugar, shortening, and vanilla extract.

2. Is this fondant recipe easy to follow?

Yes, this fondant recipe is very easy to follow. It only requires a few simple steps and does not require any special equipment.

3. Can I make this fondant recipe ahead of time?

Yes, you can make this fondant recipe ahead of time. It can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

4. Can I use this fondant recipe for other types of cakes?

Yes, you can use this fondant recipe for any type of cake. It is a great option for decorating any type of cake, not just Barbie cakes.

5. Is this fondant recipe cost-effective?

Yes, this fondant recipe is very cost-effective. It uses simple and inexpensive ingredients, making it a budget-friendly option for cake decorating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• J.Corley
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pchefkristin
  • kimdeb
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
kimdeb
  • Tig