• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I ease my anxiety while flying for the first time with young children?

In summary, my family and I are flying for the first time in June. Any suggestions for helping me through. I am not afraid, but I think there will be some anxiety and I don't want my kids (age 8 & 3) to be affected by my worries. I'm trying to think of some good tips, but I've flown a few times, now, so it no longer causes anxiety. In fact, we're boarding a plane tomorrow, so maybe I'll come back on Wednesday morning and give you some tips then!Flying from Arizona to Alabama with a 3 and 1 year old - alone was all about prior planning. I bought a portable DVD player and a couple of new movies, started teaching the 3
hazy219
My family and i are flying for the first time in June. Any suggestions for helping me through. I am not afraid, but I think there will be some anxiety and I don't want my kids (age 8 & 3) to be affected by my worries. :eek:

I'm trying to think of some good tips, but I've flown a few times, now, so it no longer causes anxiety. In fact, we're boarding a plane tomorrow, so maybe I'll come back on Wednesday morning and give you some tips then!

I flew from Arizona to Alabama with a 3 and 1 year old - alone. It is all about prior planning!! Invest in a portable DVD player and a couple of new movies, start teaching the 3 yr old to chew gum (without swallowing it LOL), read a lot of picture books about the airport and flying on the big planes and talk about what a HUGE and FUN adventure this will be. Also, involve your 8 yr old in the planning of flights, layovers (I had one the way there and a non-stop on the way home), things to do and see while you are in the air, and put him in charge of snack planning or something along those lines, give him a 'title'.
Also buy a bright colored t-shirt for each child, the same color for both - something you can see right away if you have to scan a crowd. Write your name and cell phone number along the bottom hem so that if they are seperated from you they will know to go to a security officer and show them the info.
Don't worry too much, if you have the right attitude, they will too! (I did my freaking out when they weren't looking - LOL)

PM me if you need more idea's, or just someone to visit with!

You are going to find it is much easier than you expect. The bright colored tshirts is a good idea with the cell numbers. Bring lots of snacks and small game/toy items or books for the kids. You can put the snacks in individual little bags. I'd buy a couple beverages before boarding (unfortunately, you can't bring these from home but can buy them once you pass security) to take on the plane with you so you don't have to wait for the steward/ess to wait on you. Some sort of DVD or CD is good, and I'd allow each to bring their favorite stuffed animal with them. If your 3 year old uses a sippy cup, that will help his ears from popping.

easy to pack, fun activities like coloring books & maybe some new small toys.. DEFINATELY snacks!!

I just went through the same thing in January. In fact I posted about it alot on here but I don't think it's around any more since it's from Leadership. Anyway, flying was so much easier than I anticipated. For me it was more a fear of the unknown than anything when it came to flying. But I did also go with a great group of consultants who made it really easy on me and basically held my hand the whole time (and almost literally sometimes, almost!). I don't really have any suggestions because I think it's an individual thing on these worries. But you can learn some breathing excersizes to help when you feel a little overwhelmed.

1. What should I pack in my carry-on bag for my first flight?

It's always a good idea to pack any essential items, such as medication, a change of clothes, and important documents, in your carry-on bag in case your checked luggage gets lost. You may also want to bring items to keep you entertained during the flight, such as a book or electronic device, as well as snacks and a reusable water bottle.

2. How early should I arrive at the airport for my first flight?

It's recommended to arrive at least 2 hours before your domestic flight and 3 hours before your international flight. This will give you enough time to check-in, go through security, and find your gate. It's always better to arrive early and have some extra time than to risk missing your flight.

3. Do I need to print my boarding pass or can I use an electronic version?

Most airlines allow you to check-in and obtain your boarding pass online or through their mobile app. You can either print it at home or save it on your phone to show at the airport. However, it's always a good idea to have a backup printed copy in case of any technical issues.

4. Can I bring my own food and drinks on the flight?

Yes, you are allowed to bring your own food and beverages on the flight. However, keep in mind that liquids over 3.4 ounces are not allowed through security, so make sure to pack any drinks in containers that meet this requirement. Also, be considerate of strong-smelling foods that may bother other passengers.

5. What can I expect during the flight?

During the flight, the cabin crew will provide safety instructions and may offer a beverage and snack service, depending on the length of the flight. You can use this time to relax, watch a movie, or catch up on some work. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask a flight attendant for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
beckyjsmith
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • pamperedlinda
  • General Chat
Replies