1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Flying for the 1st time. Help!

1. My family and i are flying for the first time in June. Any suggestions for helping me through. I am not afraid, but I think there will be some anxiety and I don't want my kids (age 8 & 3) to be affected by my worries. :eek:

Apr 6, 2009
  2. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

I'm trying to think of some good tips, but I've flown a few times, now, so it no longer causes anxiety. In fact, we're boarding a plane tomorrow, so maybe I'll come back on Wednesday morning and give you some tips then!

3. Crystal Patton

Crystal Patton Advanced Member

I flew from Arizona to Alabama with a 3 and 1 year old - alone. It is all about prior planning!! Invest in a portable DVD player and a couple of new movies, start teaching the 3 yr old to chew gum (without swallowing it LOL), read a lot of picture books about the airport and flying on the big planes and talk about what a HUGE and FUN adventure this will be. Also, involve your 8 yr old in the planning of flights, layovers (I had one the way there and a non-stop on the way home), things to do and see while you are in the air, and put him in charge of snack planning or something along those lines, give him a 'title'.
    Also buy a bright colored t-shirt for each child, the same color for both - something you can see right away if you have to scan a crowd. Write your name and cell phone number along the bottom hem so that if they are seperated from you they will know to go to a security officer and show them the info.
    Don't worry too much, if you have the right attitude, they will too! (I did my freaking out when they weren't looking - LOL)

PM me if you need more idea's, or just someone to visit with!

4. gailz2

gailz2 Senior Member Gold Member

You are going to find it is much easier than you expect. The bright colored tshirts is a good idea with the cell numbers. Bring lots of snacks and small game/toy items or books for the kids. You can put the snacks in individual little bags. I'd buy a couple beverages before boarding (unfortunately, you can't bring these from home but can buy them once you pass security) to take on the plane with you so you don't have to wait for the steward/ess to wait on you. Some sort of DVD or CD is good, and I'd allow each to bring their favorite stuffed animal with them. If your 3 year old uses a sippy cup, that will help his ears from popping.

Apr 7, 2009
  5. WLMcCoy

WLMcCoy Advanced Member

easy to pack, fun activities like coloring books & maybe some new small toys.. DEFINATELY snacks!!

Apr 7, 2009
  6. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I just went through the same thing in January. In fact I posted about it alot on here but I don't think it's around any more since it's from Leadership. Anyway, flying was so much easier than I anticipated. For me it was more a fear of the unknown than anything when it came to flying. But I did also go with a great group of consultants who made it really easy on me and basically held my hand the whole time (and almost literally sometimes, almost!). I don't really have any suggestions because I think it's an individual thing on these worries. But you can learn some breathing excersizes to help when you feel a little overwhelmed.

Apr 7, 2009
Have something to add?