• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Do Some Pizza Recipes Call for Flouring the Stone?

In summary, flouring the stone is a recommended method for preventing pizza dough from sticking to the stone during baking. It is best to use a fine-grained flour such as all-purpose or bread flour for this purpose. The stone does not need to be floured every time it is used, as it will become more non-stick over time. While oil or cooking spray can also be used, flour is the preferred method as it will not affect the texture or flavor of the crust. The stone can still be used for other types of baking even if it is floured for pizza, as long as it is cleaned thoroughly beforehand.
Boomerjojo
I read somewhere that you don't have to use flour on the stone before cooking a pizza on it. Some of the recipes that I found call for flour first. Does anyone know why?

I don't have the answer as to why but I can tell you that I never add flour to my stone when making pizza.

I have used cornmeal on my newer stones to keep the crust from sticking. :) A little easier than flour.

I think some recipes tell you to flour the stone because they intend to use a pizza peel to transfer the pizza in and out of the stove, usually leaving the stone in the oven. They tend to want you to preheat the stone, too. But PC doesn't want us to preheat our stones, sooo...Personally, I prefer cornmeal rather than flour when people do this. I used to when I had non PC stones. But now that I have PC ones, I skip that step. I'd be curious to try it and see if there is really any difference.

Personally I too would do cornmeal. I would be afraid that the item baked might taste like flour, UGH!

1. Why do some pizza recipes call for flouring the stone?

Flouring the stone helps prevent the pizza dough from sticking to the stone during baking. This allows for easy removal of the pizza once it is cooked.

2. Can I use any type of flour for flouring the stone?

It is recommended to use a fine-grained flour, such as all-purpose or bread flour, for flouring the stone. This will create a thin layer of flour on the stone, preventing the dough from sticking without affecting the texture of the crust.

3. Do I need to flour the stone every time I use it?

No, you do not need to flour the stone every time you use it. Once the stone is seasoned, it will become more non-stick over time. You may only need to flour it every few uses or if you notice the dough starting to stick.

4. Can I use oil or cooking spray instead of flour for the stone?

While oil or cooking spray can also help prevent sticking, they may affect the texture and flavor of the crust. Flour is the preferred method for flouring the stone.

5. Can I still use the stone for other types of baking if I flour it?

Yes, you can still use the stone for other types of baking, such as bread or cookies, even if you flour it for pizza. Just make sure to clean the stone thoroughly before using it for a different type of food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Natashya Giardina
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Boomerjojo
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies