• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Flea Market & Limited Rules...help?!

In summary, the market owner told the participant that they can set up a PC display but cannot collect information or pass out flyers. The participant is also not allowed to sell food or drink samples. The participant is family, which is why they didn't have to pay for the booth, and they are also a new consultant, which means they do not have any overstock to sell. The market does not want parties, they just want to purchase. The participant is hoping to generate SOMETHING out of the market, but may have to give out their phone number by word of mouth to generate interest.
jessica.rene09
I have a booth set up at my local flea market tomorrow, and my in-laws partially own the market. They told me that I can set up a PC display, but I cannot collect anyone's information...so what's a girl to do? Apparently Scentsy & Avon consultants are there all the time...so how am I supposed to get any orders or leads if I can't collect info or pass out flyers?

I also can't pass out any food/drink samples, so they are trying to screw me :( Thankfully, I'm family so I didn't have to pay for the slot (I'm also doing a garage sale to kill 2 birds with 1 stone). I'm also a brand new consultant, so I don't have any overstock to sell as "cash & carry".

I wish they would've told me this BEFORE I booked my spot. Anyone got advice or a loophole?? haha

Is there a reason you can't collect their information? So if you can't sell or pass anything out, what's the point of being there. So what do the Scentsy and Avon ladies do? Do they sell their product?I have participated in a health fair the last 4 years and it's always been at their office and I've sold and gotten leads. Last year it was held at one of the city offices which holds the library and city hall. After I get there and get all set up (and I bring cash and carry), a lady that runs the government center came up to me and told me I couldn't sell anything (basically we couldn't exchange $$ inside the building). I'm like really.....I wasn't told that before. She said I could take orders but we had to go outside to exchange $$ or CC information. These are ladies that I have sold to for the past 3 years and they looked forward to me being there and purchasing a few things. So for a couple of ladies I went outside and that got ridiculous. So a few of the ladies went out and wrote me a check and brought it back later. I had their items bagged up and ready to go when they got back. They all thought it was ridiculous, too. So I don't think I will go back this year because they don't want to have parties.....they just want to purchase and I'm there.

I looked on the website, and there is nothing in writing that says i can't collect information. but from what my in laws told me, they had a lot of "home businesses" that took info, made call lists & the customers complained to the market about it. And the business cards, flyers, etc. end up all over the grounds and they are the ones who have to clean it up. At the least, I would only collect info if they were placing an order...I would just hate to burn bridges by breaking any "rules" since I use the market very frequently. One idea I wanted to do was fill the batter bowl with candy & have people guess the # of candies...winner would get either a free cooking show, a free product, gift certificate, etc. But sadly...that requires at least a name & phone number!I assume the Scentsy/Avon ladies do just cash & carry...I simply can't afford to buy inventory that isn't a 100% guarantee sell :/ This is a very very large venue, so I'm hoping to generate at least SOMETHING out of it. I might just have to give my phone # out by word of mouth & have people put it in their phones, then wait for a call.

I would think even the scentsy and avon ladies take down info when they sell something. I have cash and carry when I do events but I realize not everyone can afford to do that. I don't buy it specifically for these events but have it from shows I've submitted where I was the host. I try and buy things I know that will sell. The people that are interested in entering a drawing will enter and those that don't want to will just walk on by. I only call if they mark they are interested in something. In the past when I would call if they didn't have anything marked they tended to not answer the phone. So I don't waste my time. How about just having recipe cards and mini catalogs laying on the table and just say something like, "I have recipe cards or mini catalogs for you to take if you are interested." They don't typically take them if they are not interested. Hope you can figure something out.

Like I said, I checked the website vendor rules, and the only restriction that applies to me is: no food or drink samples, & no handouts/handbills of any kind. So i could still theoretically take down names & numbers for shows & orders...my sister in law might just be making stuff up (she's a bit dramatic & controlling). I'll have the rules printed out with me in case anyone wants to start something with me! :) I'll follow up on here and let yall know how things turned out!

so how did everything go?

well, it was an epic failure...thanks to the weather. yesterday was beautiful -- sunny & 75! today was 39 and rainy :( San Antonian's can't handle that cold, so there was literally no one at the market. all of us vendors ended up packing things up before noon!I should have better luck next time, and I'll be sure to double check the forecast before I book again!!

Don't do it. You are in business to build relationships, not garage sale at bargain prices. Leave and don't look back. Wear your apron at the grocery store and hand out recipes with your contact info on them. You'll get business and build relationships without someone else dictating how YOU do YOUR BUSINESS.

I agree with Scott. Don't waste your time. And I'm sorry, if people are dumb enough to give out their information VOLUNTARILY...then they should pull up their big panties and not belly ache about it when someone actually calls them.That just tells you that the type of people frequenting there likely are just in it for something free or cheap (prize drawings), and you don't want to mess with them anyway. Look for other street fairs and vendor events.

You also need to be a bit careful about having a recurring booth at a flea market. We aren't supposed to have a "retail space." I'm not sure how that is defined, and, frankly, I'm too lazy to look it up in the PC rules. That said, people who frequent flea markets (like my husband and me) are looking for rock-bottom discounts, not retail prices. They aren't ideal customers, at least in that setting. Next time you're doing a rummage sale booth wear some logo gear or have a few catalogs (especially minis) visible. Those who are interested will speak up.

What are the rules for selling at a flea market?

The rules for selling at a flea market may vary depending on the specific market you are attending. However, some common rules include obtaining a vendor permit, following set up and tear down times, and adhering to any restrictions on the types of items that can be sold.

Can I sell homemade or handcrafted items at a flea market?

This depends on the rules of the specific flea market. Some markets may allow homemade or handcrafted items, while others may have restrictions on what can be sold. It is important to check with the market organizers beforehand to ensure that your items are allowed.

Do I need to bring my own tables and displays to a flea market?

In most cases, vendors are responsible for bringing their own tables and displays to a flea market. However, some markets may provide tables for an additional fee. It is best to check with the market organizers beforehand to see what is provided and what you will need to bring.

Are there any restrictions on the types of food that can be sold at a flea market?

Yes, there are typically restrictions on the types of food that can be sold at a flea market. These restrictions may include obtaining a food permit, following health and safety guidelines, and only selling pre-packaged food items. It is important to check with the market organizers beforehand to ensure that you are in compliance with all regulations.

Do I need to collect sales tax on items sold at a flea market?

This also varies depending on the location of the flea market. Some markets may require vendors to collect and remit sales tax, while others may handle this on their own. It is important to check with the market organizers beforehand to understand your responsibilities for collecting and reporting sales tax.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• trisha1975
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
trisha1975
  • emo812
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
MHPampered
  • monica_sweetconsultant