• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Removing Fish Odor from Stoneware: Tips & Ideas

In summary, Beth said that using a paste of baking soda and lemon juice will get rid of the smell, Greg said that using hot water and baking soda will get rid of the smell, and Julie said that using baking soda in place of Cascade and setting the dishwasher on high-temp wash gets rid of the smell.
jmabner
I just had a customer call me who tells me that she baked some fatty fish in her stoneware, and now it smells of fish. Has anyone ever dealt with this one before??? I told her to use a paste of baking soda to clean it, but was wondering if anyone else had some other ideas!

Thanks!
John

Maybe soak it over night in hot soapy water?

Bake some crescent rolls on the stone and toss them. They should absorb the smell. That also works if someone washes the stone with soap and gets a soapy taste on the stone.

ThanksThanks Beth!
I know I usually didn't want to put soap on a stone.

Fishy Smell on StonesI have had the same problem. I use my small bar pan in my toaster oven for everything from cookies to rolls to fish. Anytime I cook something that leaves the pan very greasy or a smell like fish, I soak the pan in extremely hot water for at least an hour. Then I will use a tiny bit of dish soap to remove the residue and smell.

There is no soap left in the stone and there is no soapy taste either. I don't like to use the stones over and over and only use hot water and the scraper to clean them, especially when cooking meats or fish.

Try Lemon JuiceThe smell comes from the residual oil left on the stone. Baking soda works well, and I usually add a little lemon juice to it. The acid helps remove some of the oil and leaves a nice smell behind. Good luck!

I have also heard that if you can't get rid of an odor there may be a hairline crack in the stone that is not visible yet. I would try the baking soda paste and if it doesn't fix the problem call to get it replaced (if under warranty).

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

I soak mine in extremely hot water with baking soda and then will run them through the dishwasher by themselves but I use baking soda in place of Cascade and I set my dishwasher on high-temp wash and it gets the smell out and gets the stones really clean. :D

Not sure about the dishwasher.....I have had customers who have brought me back hundreds of tiny pieces of stoneware because the stone had shattered when put in the dishwaher....this was bad for the stone...not to mention the dishwasher.....so i wouldn't recommend it..

Admin Greg said:
Maybe soak it over night in hot soapy water?

Hey Greg:

Not sure if your familar with stoneware, but you should never use soap on it, the soap will absorb into the stone also. Then you will have a fishy/soapy taste in your food. Not exactly the taste I look for..

The fat content of your food bakes out of the food and creates a hard surface ontop of the stone which makes the stone appear to be non-stick. Nothing absorbs into our stones. If you put soap on the stone it will attract to this hard surface which is the build up of fat content. Once the soap is attracted to the build up it will make the next food baked on the stone taste soapy.

All of the cleaning ideas that have already been mentioned will work but you may have to try more than one to fully get rid of the fishy taste/smell.

Hope this helps-I have been selling for 14-1/2 years and have learned alot about this type of problem!!

jmabner said:
I have had customers who have brought me back hundreds of tiny pieces of stoneware because the stone had shattered when put in the dishwaher....this was bad for the stone...not to mention the dishwasher.....so i wouldn't recommend it..

Luckily I've not had this problem nor have my customers. :eek: Thanks for the info. :D

has anyone ever used baking soda/vinegar? i use it to clean/deoderize my drains, and i've seen the combo used for many other cleansing purposes.. so i was wondering if maybe that would work to get a yucky smell out of stoneware.. maybe sprinkle on the baking soda and then use a spray bottle to spray on the vinegar.. when the two mix, they sizzle and foam a tiny bit.. i'm hesitant to try it, in fear of something goofy happening, but it shouldn't hurt the stone if i did, right? i mean, they are two non-chemical ingredients.

soaking spell turned badI soaked my deep dish baker in hot water to help rid it of an icky smell, and afterwards, it ended up with a really gross almost moldy smell--added to what it was like before I soaked it! i'm going to drop by the store and get some really cheap biscuits to try to bake out the smell.. i've already tried baking soda.. and it's horrible. has this ever happened to anyone before?
TIA..

pchefinski said:
I soaked my deep dish baker in hot water to help rid it of an icky smell, and afterwards, it ended up with a really gross almost moldy smell--added to what it was like before I soaked it! i'm going to drop by the store and get some really cheap biscuits to try to bake out the smell.. i've already tried baking soda.. and it's horrible. has this ever happened to anyone before?
TIA..
I wonder if sink fizz would work? You might want to call the test kitchens at HO.

1. How can I remove fish odor from my stoneware?

To remove fish odor from stoneware, start by washing the dish with hot, soapy water. Then, create a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar and let the stoneware soak in it for at least 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and dry it in the sun or air-dry it to help eliminate any remaining smell.

2. Can I use baking soda to remove fish odor from my stoneware?

Yes, baking soda is another effective method for removing fish odor from stoneware. Simply sprinkle baking soda on the dish and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Then, rinse it off with hot water and dry it thoroughly.

3. How do I remove fish odor from stoneware without using harsh chemicals?

If you prefer to avoid using harsh chemicals, you can try using a mixture of lemon juice and water instead. Let the stoneware soak in this solution for at least 30 minutes before rinsing and drying it.

4. Can I use bleach to remove fish odor from my stoneware?

No, it is not recommended to use bleach on stoneware as it can damage the surface and affect the taste of your food. Stick to gentler methods like vinegar, baking soda, or lemon juice.

5. How do I prevent fish odor from lingering on my stoneware?

To prevent fish odor from lingering on your stoneware, make sure to wash it immediately after use with hot, soapy water. You can also try rubbing a cut lemon on the surface before washing to help neutralize any lingering smells.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedDor
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
PamperedDor
  • DessertDivaFL
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
DessertDivaFL
  • Bren706