• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Disappointing First Cooking Show: Only 3 Sales and a Bunch of Deadbeats

In summary, the cooking show was not successful because only 3 people bought the products. The other people who were there did not order anything.
mandy412
I had my first cooking show last night. I think I did well BUT THE SHOW SUCKED A$$ BECAUSE ONLY 3 PEOPLE BOUGHT ($82 total)! There were 6 other people there and they didn't order a thing. Just watched. Just effing watched. I can appreciate if you don't have the money to buy anything but why would you go? Luckily I had some outside orders from this week that I can add to this party so my host gets something but I feel bad for her. What a bunch of deadbeats! I'm sure there happens ever now and then but I wasn't really wanted to kick off my business this way. I suppose everything will look up from here. Thank GOD, I wasn't counting on this party to take me over the $1250 hump!

I guess I've been in the business too long but any show is a good show to me. You never know what kind of connection you made with people. Take this opportunity to do morning after calls. Thank everyone for coming to the party and see if they want to add on their order or place an order. You cannot help when this happens!

wadesgirl said:
I guess I've been in the business too long but any show is a good show to me. You never know what kind of connection you made with people. Take this opportunity to do morning after calls. Thank everyone for coming to the party and see if they want to add on their order or place an order. You cannot help when this happens!

I know you are right and I should be positive.

I can understand your frustration, Mandy412. It happens to all of us at one time or another. It's unfortunate that it happened to you on your first show.As for why people come if they can't order, I encourage my hosts to invite even those people she's sure won't order. They're perfect candidates for bookings. It didn't take me long in my business to realize that hanging success on a dollar amount was a recipe for disappointment. I decided then it was best for me to change my definition of success. My shows are successful if everyone has a good time and at least one person learns something. Now all of my shows are successful.

raebates said:
I can understand your frustration, Mandy412. It happens to all of us at one time or another. It's unfortunate that it happened to you on your first show.

As for why people come if they can't order, I encourage my hosts to invite even those people she's sure won't order. They're perfect candidates for bookings.

It didn't take me long in my business to realize that hanging success on a dollar amount was a recipe for disappointment. I decided then it was best for me to change my definition of success. My shows are successful if everyone has a good time and at least one person learns something. Now all of my shows are successful.

Good point....perhaps I will reach out to some of the people that were there and talk to them about booking a show to get free stuff in the future.

also since it was your first party, look at it as good practice. it will get better. some parties are great, others aren't but always good to get out there.

I don't know of any consultant who is doing things the same as at their first show. Fortunately we all grow and improve!

Everyone here gave you great advice. Sorry this happened on your first show. Definitely offer either hosting a show or the business opportunity if they don't have the money to buy the products. You never know if someone is just waiting to be asked!!

I think ALL consultants have one of those parties, sometimes even a few of them! It'll get better. When I have those kinds of parties, I just push for bookings and network. Hang in there, think positive and remember that HOST COACHING is ESSENTIAL! Make sure that you coach your host - I just had a show tonight, and before I even got there I had $500 in outside orders. Ask your host to follow up with those who did not attend.
Good Luck!

We have all been there! I had a party on a Saturday night Mid-July about three years ago. No air, 94 degrees at 9 p.m.. We sent out over 82 invites, got about 35 people there and we could not break the $150 mark to save our souls. I was to split the orders between the two hosts like there were two parties. I could not. Not that night anyway. It took another 8 days to get each over $150! What a nightmare! Rae is right and my philosophy is any show that closes is a good show! Now figure too I got not ONE booking from that either. Oh well! That was the worst of them that have happened over the years.

(((hugs))) I'm so sorry that you've had this happen to you already.I do agree, that we all have our "practice" shows where we learn what not to do in the future. Just adapt and keep going, it's all you can really do!!! ;)I've had one host who waited until the interactive demo was over & then started discouraging all of her guests from looking at their catalog! :eek She actually told them to enjoy the evening & that they could order over the next couple of days. I wanted to speak up & tell her to hush, but knew I couldn't. She only ended up with 2 orders out of her 8 guests and didn't qualify as a show. Obviously, I never imagined anyone doing that at their own show, so I didn't know that I needed to address that in my host coaching, but I do address it now & haven't had that issue again. I also had a hostess who (during the invitation process) told her guests "you don't have to buy anything, just come & have fun!" So they did!I now make sure that I stress the importance of lots of orders to my hostesses. The more orders they collect before & during the show, the higher their show sales will be which means the more that they can earn for free and at a discount. The whole point of having the show is for them to get LOTS of stuff from their wish list. Sometimes it's just a matter of making sure that THEY know the importance of marketing their show as a SHOW and not a "come, relax, eat & have fun" evening only.I also encourage them to close within 48-72 hours of the show. I've learned from experience that if they haven't ordered by then, they probably won't. Since all of my shows are with military and/or school employees here on the base, I make sure to schedule their shows around their payday too! If it's 1/2 way between, I know that the show sales will be lower than a payday weekend.With experience, you'll learn little tricks to help in your area and with your crowds. ;)

Update for those that care: Well, apparently the people had a really good time at the party and a few of them were waiting for their paychecks because I ended up closing out the party for $515. Far cry from the way it ended on Friday. And I snagged a booking out of it. And it was enough to take me over my $1250 30 day target! Yay!

Wahoo for you! Congrats on hitting the $1250 mark. Now you have a happy experience to tuck away for those times when you feel like a show was a flop in the future. :)

Congrats! I am glad it turned out!

That's great!

What is a First Cooking Show?

A First Cooking Show is an event where a Pampered Chef consultant demonstrates and showcases our kitchen products and cooking techniques in the comfort of your own home or virtual setting.

How do I schedule a First Cooking Show?

To schedule a First Cooking Show, you can contact a Pampered Chef consultant directly or visit our website to find a consultant in your area. They will work with you to find a date and time that works for you and your guests.

Do I need to provide any ingredients or equipment for the First Cooking Show?

No, our Pampered Chef consultant will bring all the necessary ingredients and equipment for the recipes they will be demonstrating. All you need to provide is a space for the show to take place and your guests!

Is there a cost to host a First Cooking Show?

No, there is no cost to host a First Cooking Show. Our consultants offer these shows for free as a way to introduce our products and services to new customers.

What are the benefits of hosting a First Cooking Show?

Hosting a First Cooking Show is a great way to learn new cooking techniques, try out Pampered Chef products, and earn free and discounted products as a host. It's also a fun and social event to share with friends and family.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellerCooks
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • PattieChef21
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • ccmahaffey