• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Finding Balance as a SAHM and Pampered Chef Consultant

In summary, the speaker is a stay-at-home mom who used to be a school teacher and joined Pampered Chef to keep current and raise funds for church. However, due to her husband's job, she is now in London and has a packed schedule for the short time they are back home. She is feeling overwhelmed and guilty for taking time away from her son. She wonders if anyone else feels the same way and asks for advice on finding balance. Another person in the conversation offers support and shares their own experience. The speaker realizes that she doesn't need to offer too much to get bookings and her husband is supportive of her business. She shares a story of someone who wanted her to go above and beyond for a show.
jcwarr
i wasn't sure where to post this - so i apologize if it's in the wrong place...but i really needed some guidance. i am a sahm who used to be a school teacher - but now stays home. i only planned on doing pc to keep current in order to do 2 church fundraisers in the summer. my husband's job has taken us to london - and while we are back home for a short 3 weeks - i have packed my schedule. the problem is i am so stressed out - in order to get bookings i go above and beyond in what i offer - making more work for myself - taking time away from my son who has been stuttering lately. i think it's my fault as i turned our house inside out to do a winter boutique with other vendors - which was a flop!!! anyways - i guess my question is does anyone else ever get overwhelmed? and how do you find balance. i love pampered chef - but do not need to run myself ragged or at the expense of my child. so sorry to be a downer - this has been such a supportive website / group and i just feel like i am working really hard with little rewards!!!
thanks for 'listening'!
jen

I've felt like that myself. My schedule next month is PACKED! I have 5 cooking shows, possibly 6! 2 vendor events, one of which is 2 days long and 2 catalog shows! Plus, we'll be out of town for 3 days @ Thanksgiving. The 2 day event is the Friday and Saturday AFTER WE GET HOME! YIKES!!! My DH is going to flip his lid! But, I'm trying to get my business off the ground and out of the gutter! So, the craziness will have to be tolerated until we get settled into a routine!

It's really hard to go from not working at all, to working 2 or 3 days a week! It's only crazy when you're not used to it. Your son will adjust to a busy schedule. Both of my children did. As a sahm mom of 2, my kids both would act up when I first started doing shows. Before I took my leave it didn't bother them at all. Now that I'm doing shows again they are back to not being phased by it. We recently had to get a sitter due to a schedule change and our kids took it in stride. Yours will too was he gets used to mom not being there ALL the time!

I probably didn't help much, but I hope that it gets easier!

Don't offer the moon!!
jcwarr said:
i wasn't sure where to post this - so i apologize if it's in the wrong place...but i really needed some guidance. i am a sahm who used to be a school teacher - but now stays home. i only planned on doing pc to keep current in order to do 2 church fundraisers in the summer. my husband's job has taken us to london - and while we are back home for a short 3 weeks - i have packed my schedule. the problem is i am so stressed out - in order to get bookings i go above and beyond in what i offer - making more work for myself - taking time away from my son who has been stuttering lately. i think it's my fault as i turned our house inside out to do a winter boutique with other vendors - which was a flop!!! anyways - i guess my question is does anyone else ever get overwhelmed? and how do you find balance. i love pampered chef - but do not need to run myself ragged or at the expense of my child. so sorry to be a downer - this has been such a supportive website / group and i just feel like i am working really hard with little rewards!!!
thanks for 'listening'!
jen

I know it's easy to offer the moon to people who we feel are actually going to book a show with us. But until recently I have realized that it is us who have so much to offer them. My husband is wonderful and he has told me not to run myself ragged with this PC business and has even offered to buy any products I need to stay active if all else fails and I can't book a show. Thank God it hasn't happened yet!!

Get this there was a lady in a nearby town (40 min away) who wanted to book a show with me with me if:

1. I delivered the products to her guests so she wouldn't have to
2. Give her a free gift even if she doesn't get her $150 in sales
3. Not charge her tax or shipping on her products
4. Do four recipes (1 appetizer, 1 dessert, 1 cookie recipe, 1 drink recipe)
5. Wants each guest to get a little something for coming

I almost dropped the phone when she called. I wanted to laugh hysterically but I kept my composure. My husband rolled his eyes and said yeah right!!
I told her that this is how my shows work:
1. I don't deliver products 45 minutes away but if her guests want they can choose special shipping and pay a little extra to get it at their door.
2. I only give a gift if she reaches $300
3. I always charge tax but not shipping
4. I can do as many recipes as she wants but she is paying for it but I only demo one recipe, maybe two time permitting and if it's something that doesn't need to be baked after the appetizer or that can be thrown in the micro.
5. I do play games but not everyone gets a little something unless they bring an outside order or a friend who places an order!!

Wow there are some people out there who want the moon but we don't have to cater to their ridiculous demands. We have to get to a point, even in our desperation to have shows booked (and I have been there), when we show confidence in ourselves and our business others will see it and respect that. Pampered Chef does offer great deals and host benefits, better than other home party businesses.

Debbie :D

She still booked!By the way the same nutty lady did book a show with me on November 16th! Let's hope she really does have lots of friends with money, like she told me. LOL

Debbie :D :D :D

Set a schedule!I also HIGHLY recommend setting a schedule, and sticking to it. Find out what works for you.

After two years in the business and promoting to Director, I was ready to quit! Then, in talking with DH about my frustrations we discovered that I wasn't enjoying my business because I wasn't treating it like a business. I felt like I was "always" doing TPC, neglecting my family and house, and never had time for myself.

So now, Monday is "Work with My Team" day. I call, check in on how they're doing towards a promotion, what I can do to help, etc. I also prepare new consultant labels and business cards, and call potential recruits.

Tuesday is "Customer Care" day. Out of the Box calls, host coaching, bookings, etc. I don't have a set time for this, but I try to do one hour in the morning and one in the afternoon, even if it's broken up into smaller portions.

Wednesday is "Post Office/Bank/Errands" day. This is the day I'm already out and about because of speech therapy for my 5 year old, and I have 90 minutes to kill. What I can't get done in that time, she comes with me for.

Thursday is another "Customer Care" day.

Friday is "TPC Home Office" day. I take care of any return issues that came up during the week, shows on hold, etc.

If a customer calls on Tuesday with a return issue, I take their information, and put it into a tracker I created (can't post because it's Excel, but I will email it to anyone who emails me at [email protected]...please put "Return Tracker" in the subject line). Then, I let them know that I take care of all returns on Fridays, and I will call them with return instructions that day.

If a customer, downline, etc., calls on Thursday needing something mailed to them that I can't just slap a stamp on, I tell them that Wednesday is my Post Office day, and it will go out then. I made a mail bag with return address labels, packing tape, envelopes, a note pad for quick notes, pre-printed HO return labels, etc., in it that I take with me, and it is so easy!

Because I can say with certainty that I take care of these issues on a certain day, my downline and customers are getting WHAT I promised WHEN I promised it, I don't feel overwhelmed, and everyone seems to be much happier!

I've just been really doing this for a month, and I am so much happier with my business. Find out what will work best for you with your schedule, and then do it!

I'm going to do a second post on show scheduling...

Last edited:
DebbieSAChef said:
By the way the same nutty lady did book a show with me on November 16th! Let's hope she really does have lots of friends with money, like she told me. LOL

Debbie :D :D :D

You've got to be kidding me! That sounds like a past host of mine! I would have lost my cool! I'm in this business to make MONEY, not give it away! The nerve of some people!

Show SchedulingThe other thing I have done is to have a set show schedule. My kids, especially my 15 year old, hated that I was tied up every weekend.

So now, on the 1st and 3rd weekends, I only do Friday & Sunday shows...

On the 2nd & 4th weekends, I only do Saturday shows...

During the week, I only do shows on Tuesdays. This is because of transportation issues during the week, so I do make exceptions to this, but it is at MY discretion.

Now, my DH and kids know what days I am available for extra stuff at any given time. And because I never take my calendar with me to my shows, my guests need to book the dates that I say are available, not the dates they see "open". I take the attached "My Open Dates" sheet, and it has worked wonders!

Find the dates you want to "work", and stick with them!

Attachments

• MY OPEN DATES.doc
    27 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:
DZmom said:
I'm in this business to make MONEY, not give it away! The nerve of some people!

The problem is that most hosts don't view this as a business. They think that we all get more than 50% commission, have all of our host programs paid for (luckily, we do), and are doing this just to get out of the house and help them get free stuff.

My director sends out a letter to all her hosts seperate from her host packet where it will get there attention that says:
This is my job, please treat it as my job. If I can find it, I'll post it. She hardly has any cancellations since she started mailing this.

hey Jen I'm very sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed I can relate!! I have been there just remember the more overwhelmed and upset or stressed you get your son can feel and sence that. I have had to learn that with everthing in my life!!! I also love the schedule idea I have tried something along these lines but i really like how Nicole has it broke down I will definitally try it!!
I'm sure this wasn't much help but just know you aren't the only one there are many of us that has been in your shoes and we are here for you!!
Good Luck try to have fun!!

Heather

Hi Jen,
Sorry that things are so overwhelming right now. You DO have a lot on your plate! It sounds like this craziness is hopefully only temporary. I would say to try telling yourself that it's a very temporary situation and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I LOVE all the suggestions here....especially setting up a schedule that you'll try to stick to. I need to listen to that advice! For those of us who are SAHMs, it's easy to be sticking in time with our business into any little opening (while kids are napping or at school, etc) then it does feel like you're always doing PC stuff. Allow yourself to focus on other stuff. Try to be organized with your business, then when you're focusing on something else, you're not stressing about what you should be doing with your biz. I'm constantly trying to be better organized because I KNOW I'd make much better use of my time. This just isn't my strong points, so I try to roll with the punches.

Just keep telling yourself that it's temporary!!! Good luck to you!:)

I'm glad I'm not alone. I stay home with two young kids and am constantly stuggling to fit it in. I do have to say that is has gotten easier as:
*I have gotten more organized (my own computer and desk and file space)
*I have done it longer (one year this month) and so feel more comfortable with the process
*My kids (2 &4) have gotten used to daddy doing more

I seem to have a few weeks off and then do a bunch (2-4) of shows in a row. I don't mean to do this but it does give me a much needed breather.

Good luck learning the balance. I haven't yet but hope soon.

I'm still new, but have periods of feeling extremely overwhelmed (like this weekend where I'm doing 3 shows in 3 days on top of everything else in my schedule...part time job, kids' Tae Kwon Do classes, a parade, driving my 15yr old to work at the haunted house, taking my other 2 to the matinee the haunted house is offering, cooking for my family, cleaning, shopping, assorted errands, arranging everyone's schedules, etc...you get the idea). To alleviate a lot of it, I've been using cluster meetings, training meetings (phone and in person), and tons of emails to my director (she's the one who signed me)...and lots of time spent reading stuff on here. I've found that the meetings, especially, help to renew me and my excitement.

I tend to run myself ragged until my body refuses to do anymore (I'm "disabled" and my body will literally refuse to let me do anything after a point), so I'm working on making sure I take breaks and keep hydrated. I'm also working on delegating what I can, but not everyone is willing to have things delegated to them. LOL

I would suggest finding something that will renew you and try to add some of that into your daily list, even if it's only for 15 minutes a day. Kids will adapt, it's not your fault, but you could always add a daily 15 minute chat session in with each one (your DH, kids, whomever) where you can just focus on that person for a little while (kids love that!).

Quality, not quantity, is the key to overcoming the overwhelmed feeling. :)

Hang in there Jen. I too am overwhelmed but like Donna said, I want to get this off the ground! Told DH I would only run crazy the first 3 mos to get all the SS products :D

We have agreed on a schedule of 2 weekends a month I can do shows. I'm going to try and work on building the catty shows, registries, etc. to supplement. I'm considering going after a promotion in my day job that would take me traveling all over the state, so I'm glad we had made this decision.

Believe me, some days I think I was crazy to start this, but I try to remember that in the long run, I like having a safety net, and if we do have kids, this will help replace some lost income if DH stays home (I make more so makes more sense for me to work which I'm fine with).

Hi Jen!
I feel I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to be more assertive with hosts, especially about my schedule. I told my husband I would try not to do weekend shows because we often go away at the last minute, but when someone calls and says they want to do one and they can only do it on a weekend, I feel obligated.

I was also sending out the invitations for my hosts, but have now just been giving them the option instead of automatically doing it for them. So far everyone I have offered it to has opted to do it themselves, so I'm thankful for that.

Best of luck, and hopefully us sahm's can find a great balance of doing all the things we love to do, without our kids having to sacrifice!

Jen,

Nicole has some great advice on setting a schedule. I have just started something similar although I have days that I set aside that I don't work my business at all as I was feeling I was always doing PC. I kind of dropped my schedule off this summer only doing one show a month to stay active as I was feeling like I was spinning my wheels a lot.

The biggest thing (besides scheduling work days) has been taking control of my schedule! I have put up my goals of how many shows/sales I want for each month and then set aside my days I am available. I generally want 6 shows a month and will set aside 10 days that I am willing to do a show. If I reach my goal, I move on to the next month. If someone wants to do a show on a date that I don't have for business I tell them I'm unavailable that day. This has really freed me up from the stress of doing whatever I can to get a show on the books. Sometimes it may mean moving on to the next month without the dates set that I want but it is really nice to be booking further out. I have also standardized my recipes for each month and really stick to those. If a host wants something else I offer to send the recipe that they can prepare ahead of time to be served that night.

My upline always tells me to overbook since some will cancel. How do you all handle that? I figure if I want to do 8 shows a month (2 a week) and I schedule 10 in case of cancellations, then I may possibly do 10 shows a month which is more than I want! What do you think?

Thank You!!!i just wanted to thank everyone for all your amazing support and advice. it is so nice to know i am not alone and it has been SO helpful to hear all the helpful ways you manage your time and business!!!! this is why i love this site - there are always multiple responses to help you with whatever it may be you need!! thank you all again!!! i am feeling much better after reading your posts and knowing i only have one more show to go before we head back to london for awhile! some good news is that i just got a catalog show for december so i don't have to worry about losing my status while away!!!

Rebecca, I am wondering the same thing. I was booked almost every weekend this month and it was a good thing b/c 2 of my hosts went catty instead, and a 3rd just fell off the face of the planet! But I'm still looking at a $3k month due to all the booking.

I'd love some advice on this as well. To keep peace in the household, I promised DH I'd only do this 2 weekends a month in spring. That's only 4 shows for me, but I know if I only book 4 like I did in Sept, 1/2 will likely back out.

I've thought of just telling ppl that if they are really interested in the special that month that I'm booked but they can do a catalog show and if one of my dates opens I'll call them first? What do y'all think?? Kind of like a "waiting list"...

Jen,
Thought of doing more catalog shows instead of cooking shows?

Occasionally things will happen that cause cancellations but I generally only have one every couple of months. I think the further out you can get the hostess packets the better and if you are doing the postcards then you have control over them going out. That has really helped me out. I guess everyone has to determine what their comfort level is with their business. Mine is I would like to do 6 a month but do not count on this money to meet our monthly budget so it is not necessary. I guess if I really needed to hit certain goals whether for finances or for incentives I would overbook for a time and then get back on my regular schedule.

That is a great idea! I love it and I think that I am going to try something like that!

nikked said:
I also HIGHLY recommend setting a schedule, and sticking to it. Find out what works for you.

After two years in the business and promoting to Director, I was ready to quit! Then, in talking with DH about my frustrations we discovered that I wasn't enjoying my business because I wasn't treating it like a business. I felt like I was "always" doing TPC, neglecting my family and house, and never had time for myself.

So now, Monday is "Work with My Team" day. I call, check in on how they're doing towards a promotion, what I can do to help, etc. I also prepare new consultant labels and business cards, and call potential recruits.

Tuesday is "Customer Care" day. Out of the Box calls, host coaching, bookings, etc. I don't have a set time for this, but I try to do one hour in the morning and one in the afternoon, even if it's broken up into smaller portions.

Wednesday is "Post Office/Bank/Errands" day. This is the day I'm already out and about because of speech therapy for my 5 year old, and I have 90 minutes to kill. What I can't get done in that time, she comes with me for.

Thursday is another "Customer Care" day.

Friday is "TPC Home Office" day. I take care of any return issues that came up during the week, shows on hold, etc.

If a customer calls on Tuesday with a return issue, I take their information, and put it into a tracker I created (can't post because it's Excel, but I will email it to anyone who emails me at [email protected]...please put "Return Tracker" in the subject line). Then, I let them know that I take care of all returns on Fridays, and I will call them with return instructions that day.

If a customer, downline, etc., calls on Thursday needing something mailed to them that I can't just slap a stamp on, I tell them that Wednesday is my Post Office day, and it will go out then. I made a mail bag with return address labels, packing tape, envelopes, a note pad for quick notes, pre-printed HO return labels, etc., in it that I take with me, and it is so easy!

Because I can say with certainty that I take care of these issues on a certain day, my downline and customers are getting WHAT I promised WHEN I promised it, I don't feel overwhelmed, and everyone seems to be much happier!

I've just been really doing this for a month, and I am so much happier with my business. Find out what will work best for you with your schedule, and then do it!

I'm going to do a second post on show scheduling...
That is a great idea and I think that I am going to try to set a different day for a different task! I think that will help me from getting confused and like feeling like what next did I remember to do everything?

Catalog shows just in case
rebeccastt said:
My upline always tells me to overbook since some will cancel. How do you all handle that? I figure if I want to do 8 shows a month (2 a week) and I schedule 10 in case of cancellations, then I may possibly do 10 shows a month which is more than I want! What do you think?

Personally I try to book as many catalog shows as kitchen shows whenever possible. I am a SAHM who trys to only do about 3-4 shows a month. And that's if I don't have much planned that month. But I do try to book as many catalog shows as kitchen shows. I LOVE catalog shows. I know it has been said time and time again that you make more money at kitchen shows, which I agree is true most of the time, but they are so easy. We don't have to do anything, the host collects orders, money, checks, and then we meet to finish up the show! It usually works out really well for me. I have had great success with catalog shows. I have never had a catalog show turn out as less than $400. My lowest kitchen show however has been right at $150, true the host was not very enthusiastic and I could have had better luck with a dead horse, but hey it's in the past now!! Those catalog shows work out great when the kitchen shows get cancelled. I usually don't have many cancellations, only because I try to have all hosts take my business serious. My time is just as precious to me as theirs and I let them know.

Debbie :D

since I only do 2-3 shows a month and no more than that I found that I don't over book myself, because If I want 3 shows I should book 4-5, well if they keep there's no way I can do all those, so I book my 2-3 shows a month and the rest of my shows are cattys.

I wish there was a way to make people realise that this is my business...that it's how I make money for my family.

People constantly postpone on me...I had a lady leave a message the other day that Saturday won't work afterall, but she could do it two Saturday's later.

I finally got a hold of her and explained that I can't do the show two Saturday's later!

THey just assume you're free and available whenever. I'm like a shop...I'm only open certain hours!

Re: overwhelmedWow, some really good Ideas on this thread.
Thank you.

I had previously broke down my biz "chores" by days too.
Unfortunately, I have not followed-through w/it.

I know I need to. Follow-Up is not my strong suit, although I have good intentions.

1. How do you balance being a stay-at-home mom and a Pampered Chef consultant?

Finding balance as a SAHM and Pampered Chef consultant can be challenging, but it is definitely doable. One way to achieve balance is by setting a schedule for yourself. Plan out specific times for work and family responsibilities, and stick to it as much as possible. This will help you prioritize your tasks and avoid feeling overwhelmed.

2. Is it possible to have a successful Pampered Chef business while being a stay-at-home mom?

Absolutely! Being a stay-at-home mom actually gives you a unique advantage in your Pampered Chef business. You have a built-in network of other moms and families who may be interested in your products. Plus, you can work your business around your family's schedule and be present for important moments.

3. How can I make time for my Pampered Chef business without neglecting my family?

This is where communication and delegation come into play. Talk to your family about your business and how important it is to you. They can help by taking on some household tasks or entertaining the kids while you work. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

4. What are some tips for staying organized and focused as a SAHM and Pampered Chef consultant?

Organization and time management are key in balancing both roles. Utilize tools like a planner or calendar to keep track of important dates and tasks. Prioritize your to-do list and tackle the most important tasks first. Also, make sure to set aside time for self-care and relaxation to avoid burnout.

5. How do you handle setbacks or challenges in your business while also being a SAHM?

It's important to remember that setbacks and challenges are a normal part of any business. As a SAHM, your family always comes first, so don't be too hard on yourself when things don't go as planned. Take a step back, reassess the situation, and come up with a new plan. And don't forget to ask for support from your team or fellow consultants if you need it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kari L Ferrell
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • MrsNetNut404
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies