• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Filthy Kitchen: My Disgusting Experience on a Cooking Show - Dawn's Story

In summary, several people have had shows where the kitchen was so dirty they had to take their kitchen tools home and wash them. Mold was growing in the kitchen sink along with tons of food in the strainers in the bottom of it. The show grossed Dawn out so bad that she returned to PC after a 10 year hiatus.
dawnpenn
OMG I have been doing this for 4 1/2 yrs. and last week was only the second time I have done a cooking show that the kitchen was so dirty I had to take my kitchen tools home and wash them. There was MOLD growing in the kitchen sink along with tons of food in the strainers in the bottom of it...... It GROSSED me out so bad, besides it being my first kids show and absolute caos. Anyone out there had a show like this one?????

Dawn:yuck:

Oh, yeah. :yuck: Several.

Luckily, they're few and far between.

luckily, NO ... ugh how gross!!! why would someone invite someone into their home to do a COOKING show and their kitchen is disgusting? i dont get it

Washed checks? :confused:Ann, are you laundering money?

Nope- there was a thread about checks that went through the wash, and somehow it evolved into filthy hosts.

Good think none of you have ever been to MY house.

um... I have. I just haven't been INSIDE your house. :)

I'm returning to PC after a 10 year hiatus. One PigSty Party. So bad that I learned to bring along allergy meds 'just in case". That show needed a gas mask...just for the smells coming from the drains...Shuddering,Mary

chefann said:
um... I have. I just haven't been INSIDE your house. :)
There's a reason, too. The flies took up a collection to repair the hole in the screen door to keep the unsuspecting ones out.

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
--Groucho Marx

Now I don't feel as bad about how cluttered my house was when you came over. :)

Let's give this thread back now, 'K? :D

My very first show ever was like that. They actually had the top of the stove in the bathtub when I got there, trying to clean it up a little. The worst part was that she is my cousin!

At my second show, just a few months ago, I thought about walking out before I even started. I showed up 1 hour befor the show, as I had told the host I would do. She was in dirty sweats and a ripped t-shirt. Her cabinet doors were all over the kitchen, because she was painting them. And, her daughter's cabinet doors were all over her front entery way - the were refinishing them. She showed me around the house and introduced me to her dog and 5 cats. Looking around, I thougt there were at least 10 cats, but realized the were just hairballs. We talked about it and decided the livingroom was the best place for everyone to see the demo and then she said, "ok, wel I'm going to run to the store now, to get your ingredients." I could't believe it. Not only had she postponed her show twice, but then when she did finally have it she was no where near ready. So, she left and I proceeded to vaccuum, dust, scrub the kitchen counters, and clean the outside of the disgusting garbage can. I was afraid to touch it at first. Now, I am not the best house keeper in the world, in fact, my husband does way more cleaning than I do, but I could not work in the condition that the house had been in. When she got back 1/2 hour later I was sweating and irritated, but at least I wasn't totally grossed out anymore. I thought it might be worth it, she had told me earlier in the week that she was expecting 10-15 people.

Well, she never changed clothes and the first person arived, she seemed fine with what she was wearing. We waited another 1/2 hour and her daughter and 1 neighbor showed up. That was it, 3 guests and the host. When I left the party was at $130. I collected an outside order, so I could get it over $150, but she had nothing else for me.

It was funny, before I left I was cleaning up my stuff and she said, "Oh, did you clean the garbage can?" She didn't notice the vaccumming or the dusting or the counters being scrubbed.

You're nicer than I am - I would have left it, and worked ONLY on my tablecloth. Ick.

Isn't it just mind-boggling how some people have no concept of manners?

Oh Niki - that's the worst I have heard!!

I did a show a few years ago where the host had 4 dogs AND she smoked in the house...so when I got home EVERYTHING needed to be aired out...it was NASTY.

Ya know - I have a consultant on my team who has four dogs AND she smokes...and you would NEVER know it. Her home always smells fresh and clean...she always smells and looks clean and fresh...that old host of mine could take a lesson or two from my consultant!

you guys are scaring me! I have a show this week with a host who met me at the door of her home (I was taking her host packet to her) and wouldn't let me see in the house. I could hear about 100 dogs barking.....and I could smell a foul odor, just standing outside her house talking to her......now I'm really frightened about what I may be walking into Thursday night......(and yep, the show is still on!)

Take disenfectant wipes and gloves - and maybe a can of Oust or some other air freshener. :)

ChefBeckyD said:
you guys are scaring me! I have a show this week with a host who met me at the door of her home (I was taking her host packet to her) and wouldn't let me see in the house. I could hear about 100 dogs barking.....and I could smell a foul odor, just standing outside her house talking to her......now I'm really frightened about what I may be walking into Thursday night......(and yep, the show is still on!)

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. Think about it, if I were you I would have been more concerned if she would have left you see into her filthy house. Maybe she will clean it for her show and didn't want you to see it if it wasn't clean.

I am a pretty cluttery person but my house is always very clean when I have people over.

chefann said:
Take disenfectant wipes and gloves - and maybe a can of Oust or some other air freshener. :)
And a respirator.

:D

We're Covered!!Here is a suit I picked up for myself and my husband just in case!! LOL

See attachment!!

Debbie :D

Attachments

• we're covered.doc
    27 KB · Views: 438
<giggle> You'd look like a member of Devo, doing a show in that get-up!

Hey Becky
Did you post on here about the show with the rats? I don't care how clean the house is. If there are rats as pets out of their little cage or whatever they live in, I'm out of there.

CookingwithMary said:
I'm returning to PC after a 10 year hiatus. One PigSty Party. So bad that I learned to bring along allergy meds 'just in case". That show needed a gas mask...just for the smells coming from the drains...

Shuddering,

Mary

OMG you have got to be kidding me????? Smells I CANT DO!!!! I am very sensitive to smells, so I feel for you lol...

fikibiff said:
At my second show, just a few months ago, I thought about walking out before I even started. I showed up 1 hour befor the show, as I had told the host I would do. She was in dirty sweats and a ripped t-shirt. Her cabinet doors were all over the kitchen, because she was painting them. And, her daughter's cabinet doors were all over her front entery way - the were refinishing them. She showed me around the house and introduced me to her dog and 5 cats. Looking around, I thougt there were at least 10 cats, but realized the were just hairballs. We talked about it and decided the livingroom was the best place for everyone to see the demo and then she said, "ok, wel I'm going to run to the store now, to get your ingredients." I could't believe it. Not only had she postponed her show twice, but then when she did finally have it she was no where near ready. So, she left and I proceeded to vaccuum, dust, scrub the kitchen counters, and clean the outside of the disgusting garbage can. I was afraid to touch it at first. Now, I am not the best house keeper in the world, in fact, my husband does way more cleaning than I do, but I could not work in the condition that the house had been in. When she got back 1/2 hour later I was sweating and irritated, but at least I wasn't totally grossed out anymore. I thought it might be worth it, she had told me earlier in the week that she was expecting 10-15 people.

Well, she never changed clothes and the first person arived, she seemed fine with what she was wearing. We waited another 1/2 hour and her daughter and 1 neighbor showed up. That was it, 3 guests and the host. When I left the party was at $130. I collected an outside order, so I could get it over $150, but she had nothing else for me.

It was funny, before I left I was cleaning up my stuff and she said, "Oh, did you clean the garbage can?" She didn't notice the vaccumming or the dusting or the counters being scrubbed.

OMG girl... Now that really SUCKS!!!!! Thats terrible....:yuck:

I went to my consultant's first show to help out. The kitchen was filthy....that wasn't as bad as the cat walking all over the products we were going to use. It laid down on the Bar Pan!I've personally had a hostess that needs to be included as one of the nastiest kitchen/houses. I was grossed out at the front door - it got worse from there. In addition her kids were walking around with REALLY full diapers.I couldn't get home fast enough from either of those shows.

I have finally had a show in probably the filthiest house ever, and it was just this past Saturday. Walls had visible filth on them, same with the outside of the cabinets in the kitchen. She was frying crab balls when I came in, and to be honest, it smelled like something had died. Then I watched how my host "skated" across the kitchen floor because of all the grease. I was very careful where I put my stuff! Then she offered me food, uhh no thanks, I'm not hungry. I couldn't get out of there fast enough...

dawnpenn said:
OMG I have been doing this for 4 1/2 yrs. and last week was only the second time I have done a cooking show that the kitchen was so dirty I had to take my kitchen tools home and wash them. There was MOLD growing in the kitchen sink along with tons of food in the strainers in the bottom of it...... It GROSSED me out so bad, besides it being my first kids show and absolute caos. Anyone out there had a show like this one?????

Dawn:yuck:
I had a show last month where I was greeted by the host wearing an inappropriate dress (she is too old and has too many kids to be wearing a dress like that:eek: ), the host greets me by saying, "I'm not sure who will be here because we all went out last night and got trashed." So I'm thinking she has to be exaggerating, and then I walked into the house. It wasn't completlely filthy, but I was greeted by 2 overly eager pit bulls, and 4 kids with crazy (and I mean crazy) hair - the kind that is really curly and hadn't been brushed since school on Friday (this was Sunday). I looked around and was thinking to myself, "I wonder if she knows people are coming here?!" :confused:
The dining room chairs were on the table, the vacuum was out and the floor was filthy along with toys, dog toys, and 2 sinks full of dirty dishes. I had no room to prep the food, and she kept running to the bathroom to throw up:yuck: ! Her kids were eager to help...so much so they were pulling the forged cutlery out of my bag and the oldest was about 7:eek: ! Thank God no one got hurt! It was definitely different, but sales were ok (around $500 or so) and I got a couple of bookings and a few recruit leads...not bad. I'm not really interested in re-booking the host, but it turned out ok.

ChefLoriG said:
I have finally had a show in probably the filthiest house ever, and it was just this past Saturday. Walls had visible filth on them, same with the outside of the cabinets in the kitchen. She was frying crab balls when I came in, and to be honest, it smelled like something had died. Then I watched how my host "skated" across the kitchen floor because of all the grease. I was very careful where I put my stuff! Then she offered me food, uhh no thanks, I'm not hungry. I couldn't get out of there fast enough...
This reminds me of a host I had a few years ago...I had host coached fairly well and the host was quite familiar with PC as her daughter was a consultant several years back. We had only spoken twice in person (once at the show she booked from and once at Target), but had talked several times on the phone. Let me preface this by saying this was in SC, and in no form do I mean to offend anyone, but I show up at her home...a trailer that looked run down and should have been condemned.:eek: There are dogs running around and barking like crazy (3 dogs I think), weeds like no other and I don't think they had mowed all summer this was late Aug or early Sept. The garden was however fenced in and thriving:rolleyes: . I'm thinking to myself, "don't pre-judge" and then I walked in the house...very 70's with stains everywhere and more clutter than I could have imagined. I went to use the bathroom and was afraid to use it; unfortunately I was 8-9 months pregnant so there no avoiding that! She went on to say, her daughter (the host she booked from) wouldn't be there b/c she couldn't stand to be in her house. I'm secretly thinking, "No S*@t!" I did my show, and went home, took a shower and scrubbed my kit! Not many showed up, and sales were low, but I have a great story to share! LOL

I really don't mean to offend anyone! I grew up in TN and know many people who live or have lived in trailers...they just took care of theirs! This place was filthy and I think a hazard to live in, but it wasn't my home!

BTW...after the Pig Sty show, I resolved to always have a plastic tablecloth in my kit. The inexpensive vinyl type with flannel lining works well..can be washed or tossed if necessary (don't ask...). The PC table cloth can go over that :)

Oh yuck, this is grossing me out! What is wrong with people? I've been in a few homes (ok, 2) socially where I've said to myself "these people are slobs" but it was more clutter and kid toys everywhere, not deep down filth. I can not in a million years imagine having people in my house, let alone for an invited PARTY, if my house were dirty. Did these people grow up in caves? Man, I had people over on Sunday and I scrubbed the main floor of the house all weekend--and it had all been cleaned thoroughly the previous weekend. it's just a different world out there I guess...

JAE said:
Hey Becky
Did you post on here about the show with the rats? I don't care how clean the house is. If there are rats as pets out of their little cage or whatever they live in, I'm out of there.

HAHA! No, I hadn't posted about the Rat Lady! It's not that her house was dirty........it wasn't cluttered up or anything like that....although it did have that unmistakable animal smell - she had lots of pets. The worst was when she took out her 2 pet rats in the middle of the demo, and had them running around the table where all the guests were sitting, and I was doing my demo - with all of my products sitting out right there with the rats!:eek:
I just wanted to finish up as quickly as I could and get out of there! The strangest part was that ALL of her guests seemed perfectly fine with it! I was the only one who seemed to be having a problem with rats running all over the kitchen table, and all of the tools.:yuck:

ChefBeckyD said:
The worst was when she took out her 2 pet rats in the middle of the demo, and had them running around the table where all the guests were sitting, and I was doing my demo - with all of my products sitting out right there with the rats!:eek:
I just wanted to finish up as quickly as I could and get out of there! The strangest part was that ALL of her guests seemed perfectly fine with it! I was the only one who seemed to be having a problem with rats running all over the kitchen table, and all of the tools.:yuck:
Now that's the type of situation when you're completely within rights to comment that "I understand that your pets are like members of the family, but for the sake of sanitation and your guests' well-being, I ask that you please keep them away from my demo area until I'm done."

Debbie that's funny! I hope I don't have to deal with that.

At least all the cats and dog were locked in another room for my show.

:yuck: OMG!! I thought my host last spring was bad! I showed up at her house 45 min before show time. They had a b-day party the afternoon before. There were pizza boxes everywhere, juice still all over the floor, toys, dirt, crumbs and filth in every room. Host wasn't home...her sister was just starting on a six-foot long counter full of dishes (some had to be days old). My host walks in saying that she took the 4 kids to her mom's for dinner because of the mess!!:eek: I asked her where she wanted me to set up and she said the kitchen was fine!! Trash overflowing on the floor, literally, and a stack of dirty diapers (wet) next to it! Mind you, this is all of five feet from the kitchen table! Well, they got the dishes done...that's it. My shoes were all sticky feeling from the floor...I couldn't wait to get out of there! The show was approx $400...and she's thinking about doing another one! :( I'm hoping she just does a catalog show...:blushing:

Ughh My Gross Adventure Into FilthI wrote about this a several months ago:

UGHH! Sorry! Here is my Roach Tale From The Crate...& what we did

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a show where the host had roaches crawling everywhere in her kitchen! When I pointed one out(for her to kill) she shrugged her shoulders and said "We can't do anything about it. The 4H is practically in our backyard." Huh? I decided I would wash my dishes there rather than taking any bugs home in my crate. I went to the sink and FREAKED!! It was inundated with ants! Oh, and there was a tornado actually going on at this time. We were in a small home with no basement. As I am watching the TV and doing my demo we see the twister. I saw a REAL tornado! I didn't care! I was more scared of the roaches than of the twister! I flew through the demo, had people tell me what a great show it was and how they couldn't believe how much fun it was! UGHHH, by now I was ready to throw up but that would mean I'd have to see her bathroom. I wasn't taking chances.
When I finally made it to my car I called my dad in a PANIC! His friend is an exterminator and they know what a freak I am. While I was waiting for his friend to call back I called my husband crying because by now I felt them crawling up my legs and back. UGHH! They weren't but like I said, I was freaking! His friend called me back and said Don't park in the garage. I had to empty all the dishes out of my crate, inspect them and hand them individually to my husband to clean. We emptied and shook out my bookbag, TTA, and the Show-To-Go making sure there weren't any hiding. All the while it is still storming outside. I was drenched. After all of that we had to spray it all, pack it back in my car (which I sprayed the carpets) and leave outside in the rain.

It took me days to get over that. But, I can now kill bugs with ease.

ChefBeckyD said:
Becky....so what happened?
How was it??

Fortunately, I haven't had such a bad experience...
KNOCK ON WOOD!!!
I can't imagine having such a lack of pride. I mean, I'm not 'proud' ...but take pride in your self and home...

Go figure!

1. What was your experience like on the cooking show "Filthy Kitchen"?

My experience on the cooking show "Filthy Kitchen" was disgusting. The kitchen was extremely dirty and there was even mold growing in the sink. It was my first time doing a kids show and it was chaotic.

2. How long have you been working for Pampered Chef?

I have been working for Pampered Chef for 4 1/2 years.

3. Was this the first time you encountered a dirty kitchen while doing a cooking show?

No, this was only the second time I encountered a dirty kitchen during a cooking show.

4. How did you handle the situation of the dirty kitchen during the show?

I had to take my kitchen tools home and wash them because the kitchen was so dirty. I also tried my best to continue with the show despite the chaos and grossness.

5. Have any other Pampered Chef consultants had a similar experience on a cooking show?

I cannot speak for other Pampered Chef consultants, but I would not be surprised if others have had a similar experience on a cooking show. It is important to always be prepared for unexpected situations and handle them professionally.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
Replies
Views
BlueMoon
Replies
Views
carlajanes
Replies
Views