• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Happened When My Upside Down Cake Flipped?

In summary, the host had a show with 11 guests and demoed the Pina Colada Upside Down Cake. The cake and pan flippped upside down onto the newly steam cleaned floor, and the host decided to cut the tops off the bread and repair it in the kitchen before serving. The bread was very hot and the host cut himself badly with the bread knife.
MaddyandOwensMom
Saturday night, I had a show that had about 11 guests. I brought Warm Caramel Brownies and I demoed the Pina Colada Upside Down Cake. Everyone could smell it baking and could not wait to try it. When I took it out of the oven, I used a microfiber towel (start snickering HERE) and grabbed the handle with it. Even though there were two towels and two handles, I just grabbed one of each. Well, the cake and pan was much heavier than I anticipated and, you guessed it, flippped upside down, onto the newly steam cleaned floor! I think I must have really grown in this business, because I didn't want to cry, have an anxiety attack, or get really mad at myself. The host declared the five second rule (which apparently is actually about 30 seconds before germs set in), scooped it up and put it in a large bowl. I sprinkled it with the toasted cocoanut and told the guests "Now that is the mark of a great non-stick surface!", Then the host served it anyway! Most ate it and loved it and now the host is passing on the recipe to everyone. The best part-one booking and at least a $700 show!
Jessica

WOW! Funny but what a great way to show how "un-stickable" our pans are!

You can laugh at me, too! Last week, after a long talk about stoneware and how you can NEVER burn on a stone - i made the brie and decided to brush on the PC garlic infused oil and seasonings on the bread (thought this was a nice touch to show off our stuff). Well, the hostess neglected to tell me that her oven ran about 250 degrees too high!!!

You guessed it - the oil helped burn the tops of the bread to a crisp! Rather than feel like an idiot and have to show burnt bread - i decided to try and repair it in the kitchen by cutting the tops off and "fixing"it before i served. Well, the bread was really hot and i was in a rush - yep, cut myself SOOOOOOOO bad with that bread knife!!!

Well, i walked back out to the guests, holding the third rag that i was beginning to bleed through around my hand - and explained what happened. I also told them they should be honoroed to be there for my first real injury!

$800 show and 2 bookings - go figure!!!

I've been told it happens to all of us - but the show had good results, so i guess it's not so bad!

Good luck to you!

Debbie

MaddyandOwensMom said:
I think I must have really grown in this business, because I didn't want to cry, have an anxiety attack, or get really mad at myself.

I think that when you reach this point, you have truly made it as a consultant. There have been a lot of posts lately by fairly new consultants wanting to hang up their aprons because they didn't have a perfect show....no bookings, no one listening, recipe didn't turn out right, or low turn out....when in reality we all goof up. When we get to the point where we can smile and move on (instead of beating ourselves up), this business can be what we wanted in the first place...something fun to do while making money :)

GeorgiaPeach said:
I think that when you reach this point, you have truly made it as a consultant. There have been a lot of posts lately by fairly new consultants wanting to hang up their aprons because they didn't have a perfect show....no bookings, no one listening, recipe didn't turn out right, or low turn out....when in reality we all goof up. When we get to the point where we can smile and move on (instead of beating ourselves up), this business can be what we wanted in the first place...something fun to do while making money :)

As a newer consultant I find this thread inspiring. I've had all of those things you mentioned happen. It hasn't made me want to quit I just want to do better each time. I've gotten frustrated because I started so strong and have fallen off since my strong start. I need to just make the best of it and laugh off all the mistakes that are bound to happen!!:):blushing:

Hey, I like the 5 second rule!You and the Host rock!I recall seeing Julia Child drop a raw goose on the floor of her TV kitchen. Rinsed it off and wiped it off, went on cooking :) Wonder what she would have done with a cooked goose?

Good for you! It just goes to show that we aren't all perfect and that it doesn't take the perfect chef but the Pampered Chef to do this! I cannot remember what for but I did use that line on Saturday at my party. Helps to break the mood and not think you have to be the perfect cook to do all this.

That's a good reminder for us to laugh things off and keep on trucking. I don't think I've had a show yet where I didn't come home thinking I wish something had gone a different way, or I wishing I had remembered to say something. Whenever I figure out how to have a perfect show I'll let you guys know. Until then, I'll keep laughing at myself as well.

How wonderful you had such a fun host.Really does show the effectiveness of our non stick surface!

I think it's nice for guests to see that we're HUMAN, just like everyone else. One of my hosts actually thanked me last week, telling me that the consultant she used years ago used to make everything seem way too perfect, and that it made her and her guests feel like they were somehow inadequate because they didn't feel they could live up to the high standard she set. :) I'm proud to say I set no high standards of perfection...I'm a realist! :)

I think they mention this on the Booking CD - it's the Pampered Chef, not the Perfect Chef! ;)

sklay723 said:
I think it's nice for guests to see that we're HUMAN, just like everyone else.

SOOO true! Laugh and the world laughs with you....and books shows with you 'cause you're fun!

That was fast thinking on your feet about mentioning the nonstick!! Way to get past the bad and move on to the good!

I'm glad you enjoyed my story! I can tend to be a perfectionist, but, again, I am learning to let things go. There were a lot of social workers there so when I told my story of why I do PC, I said that they would appreciate that I do it for personal growth more than anything. I have a lot of obstacles that I try to overcome (phone phobia, anxiety, don't get me started on my parents, etc) and even though I have a very part time business and very few shows, I keep learning from the experiences. My life is so very hectic right now with the addition of my DS from China a year ago (uprooting a toddler was a little more than we expected and continues to be!) that I can't get a lot going right now. But I as much as I wanted to give up sometimes, I keep on going because I think it helps me develope into more of the person I want to be. PS I'm making another cake for my family tonight and I plan on it landing on a plate!
Jessica

That was a funny story! Thanks for sharing! And that host was a great sport, and KUDOS to you for keeping your cool!

Good for you for being positive about it! At my show Saturday I by some strange reason but all my utensils in my dirty dish container and still had half the recipe to go! Everyone got a chuckle out of it! :chef:

What is "Feel Free to Laugh at Me!"?

"Feel Free to Laugh at Me!" is a collection of humorous stories and anecdotes written by author and comedian, Karen Mills. It is a lighthearted and relatable book that showcases the funny side of everyday life.

Is "Feel Free to Laugh at Me!" appropriate for all ages?

Yes, "Feel Free to Laugh at Me!" is appropriate for all ages. The book contains clean and family-friendly humor that can be enjoyed by readers of all ages.

Are there any specific themes or topics covered in "Feel Free to Laugh at Me!"?

Karen Mills covers a variety of topics in her book, such as family, relationships, aging, and everyday mishaps. Her stories are relatable and will have readers laughing out loud.

Is "Feel Free to Laugh at Me!" available in different formats?

Yes, "Feel Free to Laugh at Me!" is available in both paperback and e-book formats. It can be purchased online or through a Pampered Chef consultant.

Can I use "Feel Free to Laugh at Me!" as a fundraising item?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers a fundraising program where "Feel Free to Laugh at Me!" can be sold as a fundraiser item. Contact your local Pampered Chef consultant for more information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• brendaivette
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • Aurora
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefJWarren