• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Feel Awkward at Cluster Meetings

In summary, the reason that the protagonist always feels stupid after cluster meetings is because she always talks too much and not enough about social chit chat.
babywings76
Gold Member
Why do I always come home from a cluster meeting feeling stupid? I always walk away thinking that they all would love to kick me out of my cluster. :rolleyes: :blushing: :D The reason is that I think I just talk too much, not social chit chat, but business stuff. After being cooped up all day without a single adult to talk to, I want talk I guess. But every time my director and her director ask questions, I speak up. I wait for others to jump in first, but after a minute of silence, I'll answer the question. Because of the wealth of info I learn here on CS, I've got tips and things to share. It's always relevant to the discussion, and again..I try to let others have a chance to share. I wait to hear what my director has to say, and then I'll also share some info. I want to bite my tongue so badly cause I know I'm probably sharing too much, but I can't seem to help myself.

So....since I never really come home having learned anything new and since I'm probably annoying..should I stop going? I'm seriously getting self-conscious about it. :blushing:

Relax, it sounds like you have some great director qualities and could probably conduct those meetings yourself :D. Your director probably feels like they are teaching you well because you know so much!

Just because you aren't learning something new, doesn't mean you aren't a valuable asset to your team. I think you need to call your directer and say "Hey, I enjoy going to all our meetings, but I really don't feel like I'm walking away with anything from them and I feel like maybe I'm annoying everyone with how I always answer everything. I don't know if I should attend them anymore because I walk away feeling kinda dumb."
I'd bet she has no idea you feel that way and she probably doesn't think your annoying at all, and if she does, at least then you'll know ;)

Amanda,

I so know how you feel. When I started with my hospitality cluster I was the newbie, but I always had the answers and I wanted to share. I felt so out of place and wondered if they wished I wouldn't come anymore. What I didn't realize was, that was my enthusiasm for my business and it was great that I had that. My enthusiasm was very different than theirs. I actually kept my mouth shut one meeting, just to see. I had phone calls later that week asking if I was okay because I wasn't my usual, enthusiastic self.

I encourage you to keep your enthusiasm.

Now that I am a director and conduct my own meetings I would love to have someone at my meetings that shared that same enthusiasm.

That's why we want to keep new (enthusiastic) consultants coming to our meetings! Start new people regularly, and ... it will be so!

Here's one thing I've learned, some times other people are not paying attention to certain business things - even the host/guest specials! It's amazing who doesn't know the upcoming specials, consultant incentives, etc! I was the same way when I first started going to meetings. I've always said I'm full of useless (sometimes useful!) knowledge. One thing that I've learned over the years is that I love to train! I think meetings are important so NO, do not quit going. But maybe speak up to your director and ask her if you could help train on a section or two a month. I've also realized that even if I don't learn anything maybe I passed along one thing that someone else learned.

It's great that you share! Talk to your director and tell her how you feel and ask her opinion on the whole issue. As far as learning things at the meeting, I would be that you are. I am one that reads and checks things out too and I felt that I wasn't learning much at the meetings (when I had one to go to) but then I realized that people had said things that I was sharing with my team or at my shows. You might not be learning big things but the subtle things add a lot to the consultant you are.

Keep going! I know exactly how you feel. We haven't had a cluster meeting in months (thanks to the changes in career path) and I miss the time spent.

I suggest you ask your Director if you can share in the training. Each month (or every other) you could be in charge of a topic/activity.

They need you and your excitement. Don't stay home!

Keep it up! If you would really like to get more involved in a more 'official' way.. ask your director if you can teach one of the training topics. I always help mine with the training session and it makes me feel better about adding my 2 cents in! Not to mention, I always learn better when I'm teaching someone. Just a thought! But I agree with the others... don't stay home! You are an asset to your group. You might not be bringing anything home but you are getting great practice for your own team when you have your own meetings. Also, if there is something you want to learn about... suggest it to your director as a training topic. :)

Keep going! Enthusiasm is contagious!

Amanda,

You may not as you said learning things, but your share your wealth of knowlege gained from here and from doing the business. So that make you a teacher, a leader.

Even when you feel your not learning anything, you are actually learning something it may not click now, but somewhere down the line it may.. and you'll have the duh.. moment.. :)

Suggest to your director that you do a quiz. 20 questions about the business, specials, catalog, products, whatever. Things like, how long is the guarantee on the loaf pans, are the muffin pans dishwasher safe, stuff like that.Whoever scores lowest gets to do it next month! I pretty much don't do cluster meetings either. I am usually working on the night they have them. For once, the topic of the April meeting is one I want to catch, and I cannot be there either. Other than that (an active demo on races) there's very little offered there that I cannot get right here.

keep going to your meetings, I was you 6 years ago, I'm an Advanced Director now =)

I'm that same way. There are months I bite my tongue and say little, but most of the time I feel sorry for the person leading the training if no one is participating. Like you, I allow others plenty of time to answer, usually waiting for a second prompt before jumping in. Do you have a friend at the meetings you could talk to? If so, you could ask if she/he feels like you're commandeering the meeting.

Thanks everyone for the responses. :)Well, I carpooled to the meeting w/ my director. So on the drive home, I did tell her that I feel so bad that I may be talking too much. That I try to bite my tongue and when I just can't seem to stop myself, I find myself thinking to myself, "Shut up, shut up, shut up!" :blushing:She said that I am very well researched and do have lots of great ideas to share. So that was nice, but...she didn't really say anything in response to my feeling like I'm annoying. So I took it to mean that maybe I am annoying. :rolleyes: :blushing:There are 2 other girls there that I am friends with, but we don't really communicate outside of cluster meetings. I wonder if it would be odd to all of a sudden call them?

I'm the share it all kind of gal myself. When I'm quiet, I'm asked if everything is ok. It's good to share info as not everyone has access or time to research CS. The meeting leaders need and appreciate participation and enthusiasm....it makes for a better meeting all around.

Continue to allow others to participate, allow for the meeting to flow and continue to share the ideas. If you think you're sharing too much, then try and share 3 solid ideas.

You can always come to my meetings....we like and want enthusiastic and generous team mates. ;)

babywings76 said:
She said that I am very well researched and do have lots of great ideas to share. So that was nice, but...she didn't really say anything in response to my feeling like I'm annoying. So I took it to mean that maybe I am annoying. :rolleyes: :blushing:

There are 2 other girls there that I am friends with, but we don't really communicate outside of cluster meetings. I wonder if it would be odd to all of a sudden call them?

Maybe you Director feels a little nervous because you are more knowledgeable than she is. . .

Okay, I'm going to delete this thread in a few minutes, since I never know if someone from my cluster might come on here. Not sure if my director would come and see it. I'd feel terrible if they saw it.Thanks for letting me vent and I appreciate the feedback. I'll probably still go. But I'm really going to try harder to bite my tongue and make sure I'm not jumping up too soon with advice or input. :) Maybe some of my extra tidbits of info, I'll type up in an e-mail and my director can e-mail it out to everyone. She's done that in the past, too. I know she appreciates my trying to help others and sharing information. I'll just try to tone things down a notch or two.

What should I wear to a cluster meeting?

Wear something comfortable and professional, like business casual attire. Avoid wearing anything too revealing or casual, as this is a work event. It's always better to be slightly overdressed than underdressed.

How can I make small talk with other consultants at cluster meetings?

Start by introducing yourself and asking about their business or how long they've been with Pampered Chef. You can also ask about their favorite products or recipes. Be genuine and show interest in getting to know them.

What if I don't know anyone at the cluster meeting?

Don't worry, everyone was once a new consultant and knows how it feels. Take the opportunity to introduce yourself and make new connections. You can also reach out to your team leader or host to introduce you to others.

What should I bring to a cluster meeting?

It's always a good idea to bring a notebook and pen to take notes during the meeting. You can also bring any Pampered Chef catalogs or business cards to share with others. It's also helpful to bring a positive attitude and willingness to learn.

How can I overcome feeling awkward at cluster meetings?

Remember that everyone is there to support and learn from each other. Be yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions or share your thoughts. Take the opportunity to network and build relationships with other consultants. The more you attend cluster meetings, the more comfortable you will become.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
Replies
Views
Shawnna
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie