• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fuel Prices and Weak Economy Lead to Disappointing Fourth Quarter Loss for FedEx

In summary, FedEx swung to a fourth-quarter loss, despite raising guidance, as rising fuel costs took a toll. The company expects 2009 earnings of $4.75 to $5.25 per share, well below Wall Street expectations.
chefsteph07
FedEx swings to 4Q loss; guidance disappoints
Wednesday June 18, 9:34 am ET
FedEx swings to loss 4th-quarter and issues forecast well below Wall Street expectations

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- FedEx Corp. reported a fourth-quarter loss Wednesday that missed Wall Street expectations and it offered a gloomy outlook for its shipping business that showed how much higher fuel prices are eating into profits.
ADVERTISEMENT

Considered a bellwether for the broader U.S. economy, the FedEx earnings forecast fell well below Wall Street expectations, and its shares fell 3 percent, or $2.59, to $81.74 at the open of trade.

FedEx sees 2009 earnings of $4.75 to $5.25 per share. Wall Street had predicted $5.92 per share. The package delivery company expects to earn 80 cents to $1 per share in the first-quarter. Analysts forecast $1.27 per share.

The international package shipper posted a fourth-quarter loss of 78 cents a share, or $241 million, compared with a profit of $610 million, or $1.96 per share, for the same period last year. Excluding one-time charges, FedEx earned $1.45 per share.

Revenue rose 8 percent to $9.87 billion from $9.15 billion a year earlier.

Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected $1.47 per share on revenue of $9.6 billion.

"Record high fuel prices and the weak U.S. economy dampened volume growth and substantially affected our bottom line ... We will continue to reduce expenses to match volume and revenue expectations," FedEx chairman Frederick W. Smith said in a statement.

Fourth-quarter earnings included a one-time charge of $891 million for the expected costs of renaming the company's office service and copying division from FedEx Kinko's to FedEx Office.

FedEx had predicted fourth-quarter earnings of $1.45 to $1.50 a share. That projection was lowered from earlier company guidance of $1.60 to $1.80 a share, due largely to rising fuel costs.

What do you wanna bet our shipping price will be going up after NC?

I'll be shocked if they don't.

It's inevitible what with the rising costs of gas ... I am curious to see if they stick with a flat rate or go to a 10% of your purchase thing...

dannyzmom said:
What do you wanna bet our shipping price will be going up after NC?

I'm guessing that's why our sales receipts are being replaced for next selling season.

chefjeanine said:
I'm guessing that's why our sales receipts are being replaced for next selling season.

Yup - that's what I took it to mean as well...

ok so lets guess - how much will shipping be $4.50 maybe?? Still a great deal compared to other DS companies - well - its only 22 days till wave 1 - maybe we will find out then

PamperedDor said:
ok so lets guess - how much will shipping be $4.50 maybe?? Still a great deal compared to other DS companies - well - its only 22 days till wave 1 - maybe we will find out then
I always thought that until I did the math on small orders. If someone orders less than $40 they are paying more than 10% with our $4 shipping. If they order more than $40 they are getting a deal though.

I gave my thoughts on what I think would work on another thread about this.

we always change the receipts with the seasons did I miss something???

Teresa Lynn said:
we always change the receipts with the seasons

did I miss something???

There would not appear to be any need to change this season. . .these new write-in receipts have no dates on them.

no but it seems like they keep switching the format up I want my old itemized ones back!!!

Teresa Lynn said:
no but it seems like they keep switching the format up I want my old itemized ones back!!!

I'm right there with you on that one . . . just so much easier to get "wish list" products with the itemized forms. That means I can contact people when a Host special might really appeal to them.

I think no matter what company we end up using (fedex-Ups) , shipping costs will be rising this next season! It's totally inevitable with soaring gas prices!

I doubt we'll be switching back to UPS anytime soon. Rich Hlava, director of operations at HO spoke at the Spring 3-2-1 training and said that they left UPS because UPS didn't believe PC would, and kept raising their prices. Had we stayed with PC, the season we switched (to FE) we would have had $5 or $5.50 shipping. Even with a rate increase at FE, I don't think that HO is going to give UPS the satisfaction of going back.

ChefAnn How do you know everything????? We can always count on you!!!

Well, just saw this thread. HO wouldn't increase shipping prices just because FedEx has a loss. FedEx can't randomly increase prices on a contract. Depending on the contractual period between HO and PC, it may be a long time before they renew and they are fine where they are at - it will be FedEx loss not PC's. ...and PC has some bargaining power...FedEx would not want to lose a big contract during this time.

janetupnorth said:
Well, just saw this thread. HO wouldn't increase shipping prices just because FedEx has a loss. FedEx can't randomly increase prices on a contract. Depending on the contractual period between HO and PC, it may be a long time before they renew and they are fine where they are at - it will be FedEx loss not PC's. ...and PC has some bargaining power...FedEx would not want to lose a big contract during this time.

God Bless Janet - always the voice of reason!
I love ya man!!!!!!:love:
Now...if only I could carry you in my pocket so you could talk me down when I am having anxiety attacks - LOL

janetupnorth said:

How long do companies usually contract a shipping company?
I think this will be PC's second or third year w/ FE.

PC switched in mid-January 2007 to FE.

dannyzmom said:
It's inevitible what with the rising costs of gas ... I am curious to see if they stick with a flat rate or go to a 10% of your purchase thing...

I really hate the x% of your purchase shipping costs. I know I'm heading into dream world, but I would love to see some sort of weight based shipping or box size based shipping... After all, when I want to ship most things with FE, the shipping box size and final weight are factors in the costs...

but that would be impossible to calculate at a show

chefsteph07 said:
How long do companies usually contract a shipping company?
I think this will be PC's second or third year w/ FE.
Sorry, I was stuck at work last night. Haven't gotten to the bottom of the thread to see if this was answered.Rate contracts are annual. So, if we started in January 2007 with then, renewal would be January 2008 and there would be no changes until January 2009. If there was a change then, you wouldn't see it on our end most likely until spring selling season. But like I said, in times like these, large shippers actually have some bargaining power because the big shippers are still competing for business.ETA: Negotiations on a January contract would not be happening already. Too many factors can change between now and then. Now if it was October, then I'd say differently. (All assuming Ann is right with January which she most likely is!!!!)

Last edited:
dannyzmom said:
God Bless Janet - always the voice of reason!
I love ya man!!!!!!:love:
Now...if only I could carry you in my pocket so you could talk me down when I am having anxiety attacks - LOL

:blushing: Yeah, I'm always logical...sometimes a character flaw, sometimes good. But I always have to logically find the right solution...

On the carrying me in your pocket, yeah right, I couldn't get into your petite little jeans much less your pocket! :p Besides, do you REALLY want me as the voice in your head? :rolleyes:

janetupnorth said:
Sorry, I was stuck at work last night. Haven't gotten to the bottom of the thread to see if this was answered.

Rate contracts are annual. So, if we started in January 2007 with then, renewal would be January 2008 and there would be no changes until January 2009. If there was a change then, you wouldn't see it on our end most likely until spring selling season. But like I said, in times like these, large shippers actually have some bargaining power because the big shippers are still competing for business.

ETA: Negotiations on a January contract would not be happening already. Too many factors can change between now and then. Now if it was October, then I'd say differently. (All assuming Ann is right with January which she most likely is!!!!)

janetupnorth said:
Sorry, I was stuck at work last night. Haven't gotten to the bottom of the thread to see if this was answered.

Rate contracts are annual. So, if we started in January 2007 with then, renewal would be January 2008 and there would be no changes until January 2009. If there was a change then, you wouldn't see it on our end most likely until spring selling season. But like I said, in times like these, large shippers actually have some bargaining power because the big shippers are still competing for business.

ETA: Negotiations on a January contract would not be happening already. Too many factors can change between now and then. Now if it was October, then I'd say differently. (All assuming Ann is right with January which she most likely is!!!!)

So, you are saying that there won't be a change in our shipping charges from Fed-Ex?

I'm thinking there could still be an increase in price....because there has also been a price increase in all of the packaging materials.....but I hope there won't be.

Funny thing happened yesterday though....I had a guest at my show Tuesday night being VERY vocal about our shipping charges, and how outrageous they are - I told her I couldn't understand that - we have some of the most reasonable rates in direct sales....well, yesterday, she called me (!) to apologize - she had been looking at the direct shipping charges, not the show shipping rate!:eek: And - she booked a show!

ChefBeckyD said:
So, you are saying that there won't be a change in our shipping charges from Fed-Ex?

I'm thinking there could still be an increase in price....because there has also been a price increase in all of the packaging materials.....but I hope there won't be.

Funny thing happened yesterday though....I had a guest at my show Tuesday night being VERY vocal about our shipping charges, and how outrageous they are - I told her I couldn't understand that - we have some of the most reasonable rates in direct sales....well, yesterday, she called me (!) to apologize - she had been looking at the direct shipping charges, not the show shipping rate!:eek: And - she booked a show!

FedEx can adjust some surcharges, but USUALLY not the contractural rates within the period. Most companies are very good at adjusting other factors to not affect their shipping.

Hey, they may prove me wrong, but I highly doubt it. If you are worried and want to know for sure, call HO and put an inquiry in.

Love your story about that guest and booking a show!!!! I'm glad she ate crow well. You must have served it nicely within your 30 minute chicken show.

Teresa Lynn said:
but that would be impossible to calculate at a show

Yeah, I know... but I was in my dream world last night and all was fair in love and war!

1. What is Fed Ex Reporting Losses?

Fed Ex Reporting Losses is a program offered by Fed Ex to help customers track and report any missing or damaged packages during the shipping process.

2. How do I report a loss or damage through Fed Ex Reporting Losses?

To report a loss or damage, you can either call Fed Ex customer service or submit a claim online through their website. You will need to provide details about the package, including tracking number, date of shipment, and package contents.

3. Is there a time limit for reporting a loss or damage through Fed Ex Reporting Losses?

Yes, you must report any loss or damage within 21 calendar days of the delivery date for domestic shipments and 14 calendar days for international shipments.

4. What happens after I report a loss or damage through Fed Ex Reporting Losses?

Fed Ex will investigate the claim and may request additional information or documentation. Once the claim is approved, you will receive reimbursement for the declared value of the package or for the cost of repair, depending on the specific circumstances.

5. Are there any fees associated with using Fed Ex Reporting Losses?

No, there are no fees for using Fed Ex Reporting Losses. However, if you choose to add additional insurance to your shipment, there may be an additional cost.

Back