• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fears of Promoting to Director? (Long Post)

In summary, the benefits of becoming a Director are: -Overrides on your sales and your team -Free new products
Kitchen2u
After reading Sue's post (http://www.chefsuccess.com/f49/congrats-ellen-hill-new-director-44686/) of being hesitant of promoting to Director, I thought it would be advantageous to some of you out there to start this thread.

Benefits of Directorship: TONS! Overrides on your sales and your team, free new products, lower trip points, production bonus, monthly fair/booth reimbursement (up to $50), professional development award each year (up to $100), 30% merchandise discount, special Director's event at National Conference, RED Director ribbon at conferences, Leadership conference, but what I get the most joy out of Directorship: helping another person grow and develop through helping them start their own business & watching my team grow and develop too!

What ARE your fears?

What ARE your concerns?

WHY NOT PROMOTE?

Common fears are:
1) $4,000 cluster sales
2) Keeping 5 active consultants on your team
3) Holding team meetings
4) Training your team
5) Do I have to do what my Director does?
6) Cluster newsletters
7) I have no idea what's all involved in being a Director
8) TIME! How much time is this going to take?
9) and the list goes on . . .

Fear #1: YOU can not count your team to contribute to the $4K requirement as a NEW Director. You need to pretty much make sure YOU are selling at that level until you have a large team that consistently contributes.

Fear #2: Congratulations, you are a New Director! Now what? Barb Duke said to me, "now go out and recruit 5 new recruits until you have a team of 20." That number 20 scared me, but it's so true! 20% of your team will work their biz, 80% will not. That's HUGE. This is why you need to do the $4k yourself, and exactly why you need to continue to recruit and grow your team. NEVER STOP RECRUITING!

Fear #3: The expense, doing it by myself, what to do, THIS IS STRESSING ME OUT! Those were the thoughts going through me head when I promoted. I live 45 minutes from my Director, most of my team lived near me and was pushing me to break off my Director's meetings and do them here. BUDDY UP with a local Director sister or two! Advantages, a) not just you providing training, not just your house, not just your expenses! Plus, each month HO has a meeting planner all written out for you to follow! Easy!!!

Fear #4: I tell my team, "I'd LOVE to provide all the training you need or want. But don't forget there's AWESOME online training courses you can do 24/7, there's telephone classes, recorded classes and most important once a month team training! But I need YOUR commitment to YOUR training. If you want personal training (weekly coaching calls) with me, we can set up weekly calls, but YOU have to call me at the designated time. If you miss 1 call, I'll email you to see what happened. If you miss 2, then I will assume it's not a good time for you to do coaching calls and you will call me and reschedule at your convenience." (You've GOT to put the responsibility back on them, not you.

Fear #5: NO, you do not, it's YOUR business. You run your cluster the way YOU want to.

Fear #6: Cluster newsletters....what this really means is: how long does it take, do I have to do one, what if my team didn't do any sales and there's nothing to put in them? Right? Again, you do it the way YOU want to. Some Directors hire others to create their newsletters. You do not have to do one, however, your team likes to SEE their name in print. Gives them a little motivation too...."I want MY name in there next month!" There's times when my team has zero sales...then I fill up the newsletter with challenges, "paper training articles," etc.

Fear #7: Director: provide necessary information/training/support your team needs and wants. The benefits of Directorships FARRRRRRRRRRRR out-weigh the "what do I need to do's."

Fear #8: Again...this is YOUR biz...it depends on how much time YOU put into it. Sure, there's the calls/emails from your team ~ it's all up to you!

These are just some of the common fears....there's LOTS more...start posting your fear and the Directors here will answer your concerns.

What you can expect as a New Director:
1) You get you first three months as a 3-month grace period...the $4K and 5 active recruits don't apply if you don't make these requirements.
2) If you don't make your Director requirements...you have 3 months to do it before you lose Directorship.
3) If you are not CONSISTENTLY recruiting and selling, you can expect to get the dreaded "you got until _____ or you will be in relinquishment period" letter from HO ~ RELAX! Its okay because you will get the requirements accomplished. You are NOT a loser because you got the dreaded letter...it is COMMON for new Directors to get them.

There's more...I'm just typing off the top of my head...so post away ~ I hope this helps someone out there who is curious, wondering or contemplating Directorship!

Ready? Start posting ! ! !

Ginny- THANK YOU!!!! I do not have time to type out my thoughts right now, fixing dinner, but I will .

Ginny, I'm not even a FD yet ... but I would have to say I identify with this post.

I'm probably gonna get screamed at ... but I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in being a director. FD, yes, director, not so much. The reason? I KNOW what it takes to be a director, and what it takes to maintain that status ... and I have had good directors and bad ones ... I WILL NOT DO IT if I do not have the time to invest into people all that they deserve while still maintaining my sales.

(Plus my sales are nowhere near the level they'd need to be, but that's why I'm not even a FD at this point ...)

Ginny, Your thread is almost like you took up residence in my head. I have spoke to many directors who are stressed out at the end of the month, wondering if they will hit the mark, and as the time gets closer to promoting, my stress level is increasing, but I read your posts, and realized, I can either stress out over it, and miss one of the most exciting times of my life, or I can do what I need to do to make sure that things are in place for me to succeed.

I am committed to continue recruiting, and also training my team so that they will be successful recruiters as well. Directorship is not a destination for me, but a stepping stone. I do not have aspirations at this time to be Nancy Jo, Jr, but I am committed to building the best team I can. My goal is to hit the $4000 each month on my own, and to recruit 1 a month, so that my team can work their business at a pace they have set for themselves. We offer this business to them, telling them it is flexible, and they can work it how they want. It is not fair for me to call them in the third week, and tell them they need to turn in XXX amount, or I will lose MY directorsip. Directorship was my dream, not theirs.

1 Question- I do not think there is a New Director training for me, until next year- Will I have a way to get that training when I promote, until I can get to the training myself?

Di_Can_Cook said:
Ginny, I'm not even a FD yet ... but I would have to say I identify with this post.

I'm probably gonna get screamed at ... but I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in being a director. FD, yes, director, not so much. The reason? I KNOW what it takes to be a director, and what it takes to maintain that status ... and I have had good directors and bad ones ... I WILL NOT DO IT if I do not have the time to invest into people all that they deserve while still maintaining my sales.

(Plus my sales are nowhere near the level they'd need to be, but that's why I'm not even a FD at this point ...)

Screamed at? Not from me! And shouldn't be from anyone else either. YOU run YOUR business the way YOU want to. However, I will say this: whether you want to promote or not, you STILL OUGHT TO BE OFFERING THE OPPORTUNITY TO EVERYONE. You have no idea what's going on with THEIR life and if they NEED $ or PC in THEIR life. If you're shy from recruiting, when a potential does approach you, you can say, "Can you and I meet with my Director about this?" Your Director should be offering this for you.

Story: I didn't recruit, nor did I want to recruit for the first 5 years of my business. I took a Step Up to Directorship class and made my goal to start offering the gift of this business. The first month I recruited a gal. After her 1st month in the business, she called me and asked if I had 30 minutes and could she come over. Of course! She came over and was a bit bewildered as she entered my house. Of course, I'm thinking...oh no...this is what she said to me:

"Ginny, I don't know if you know this, but the night you offered me the PC opportunity, I had plans to commit suicide that night. I had it all planned out what I was going to do. You see, I just lost my entire family to a horrible accident a month before Cindy's party. The pain was more than I could take any longer. I had no meaning for living any more. I just wanted to be with them. But you invited me to try this out. Since I agreed to meet with you the next day, I couldn't disappoint you. So I did. You looked like you had sooooo much fun. So why not try it? You invited me to your team meetings. You are not only a great Director but a good friend of mine. You and the rest of our cluster have become my new family. I just wanted to thank you."

She is the reason I continue to recruit...not just because I'm a Director, but how many Sallys (not her real name) did I pass up in my first 5 years of the my business? I recruit because it's ALL ABOUT THEM. Not me. Offering the opportunity is a GIFT...just remember that when you INVITE someone to join PC.

mrssyvo said:
Ginny, Your thread is almost like you took up residence in my head. I have spoke to many directors who are stressed out at the end of the month, wondering if they will hit the mark, and as the time gets closer to promoting, my stress level is increasing, but I read your posts, and realized, I can either stress out over it, and miss one of the most exciting times of my life, or I can do what I need to do to make sure that things are in place for me to succeed.

I am committed to continue recruiting, and also training my team so that they will be successful recruiters as well. Directorship is not a destination for me, but a stepping stone. I do not have aspirations at this time to be Nancy Jo, Jr, but I am committed to building the best team I can. My goal is to hit the $4000 each month on my own, and to recruit 1 a month, so that my team can work their business at a pace they have set for themselves. We offer this business to them, telling them it is flexible, and they can work it how they want. It is not fair for me to call them in the third week, and tell them they need to turn in XXX amount, or I will lose MY directorsip. Directorship was my dream, not theirs.

1 Question- I do not think there is a New Director training for me, until next year- Will I have a way to get that training when I promote, until I can get to the training myself?

You've got it Sue! Directorship is YOUR goal not theirs. That's why WE need to sell the $4k and recruit a minimum of 1 a month.

Regarding New Director Training (NDT): Your upline Director and Execs, Senior Execs ~ ASK them for the training ~ tell them your concerns about not getting NDT right away. If you show the interest and need to start off the right way, I can't believe they won't give you some training. NDA is AWESOME. It's even better (than when I took it) since you're going to HO for it! The biggest mistake a New Director doesn't do is make new goals. You know, "I'm a New Director!" But leaves it at that. You've hit one of your biggest goals...accomplished...now what? MAKE NEW ONES! Of course, Sue, if you don't get the support you want and need from your upline (which I am SURE you will), you can always PM me here.

Another thing ~ if you aren't thinking about it already ~ you ought to be going to Leadership. Leadership is for LEADERS! That's YOU! I love Leadership much more than National. It focuses on what we as leaders need and want...see you in Denver?

I am walking the stage at leadership, and DH is coming with me- we are taking a couple extra days in Denver after leadership.

mrssyvo said:
I am walking the stage at leadership, and DH is coming with me- we are taking a couple extra days in Denver after leadership.

Awesome! I'd love to meet you! I'm flying in the day of conference and leaving right after...but we can hook up during the day sometime....just to say hi! I'll be cheering you on when you walk!!! Exciting!!!

Ginny, do you mind if I share this story with my team? I think it hits home the reason for sharing the business better than any I have heard.

Of course, you can Jenni!

Ginny, that is an incredible story ... it almost made me cry!!

Oh, I offer the opportunity to everyone ... I'll happily be a FD with 10 on my team if need be .. or urge recruits to sign under my recruiter (who needs 1 more to be a FD) or the director I'd pick if I could (who is struggling.)

Wow, Ginny. I did cry.
What a powerful story. You have such wonderful energy. I can't wait to see you again at Leadership.
Sue, You will be wonderful!
You sound like you already "get it"
We are in the business of helping people. In the kitchen, to get tools for free and maybe to make a little money.
I can't imagine my life without it. I know most of us can't. Share that and follow your own path.
Di, stay a FD forever, if that is your goal. But learn about Directorship and leave it as an option for one day. I think you would be great.

Cry? She and I went through a box of kleenex that day! She is a VERY special person in my life, just as all of my recruits have become. She is right, they are another extension of my family...PC family! I ALWAYS think of her at my parties...wondering if there's another one of her in the group that night. Keeps me grounded and keeps me real and continue to invite and offer the special PC has to offer ANYONE.

My fear is losing the 5 recruits that it took me over 2 years to get. I can't think about becoming a Director until I get out of the "part time" stage. I rarely get $1250 in sales, so $4000 seems unreal to me. Also, I only have 1 recruit out of the 5 that sells more than $600 a month. We are all a group of "part timers".

I decided to go ahead and promote, because I usually do $4000+a month myself, so I should not be dependent on my team- I do not want to have to depend on my team to decide if I keep my level or not.

Ginny thanks for posting this, you are inspiring me again. Can't wait to see you at leadership!!

I think I might like to be a director someday. Right now I am just trying to find a balance in family, my full time job, church and finding time to work on the goals I set for myself with PC. Personally, the only time I have gotten a phone call from my director in the 4 months I have been in this business is when I had a credit card decline. I had already taken care of it when I got her message. I heard that she "forgot" to call me when I qualified. Cluster newsletters? What is that? All I can say is I am looking forward to when my recruiter promotes to director. Not only is she an amazing positive person, she is a good friend and is always there when I need her for PC or otherwise. I know directorship will be HER dream, but I will be more motivated to really work my business because I will know it means something to her too. It sure would be nice to see her walk across the stage at Conference next year to accept her directorship. What do you think Andrea?

WOW, Ginny! You're an amazing person! What a powerful story you told. Brought tears to my eyes. We do make a difference, and PC has made a HUGE difference in MY life! I usually quit anything I start, and for some reason, have stuck with PC for 2 years now, even when times got tough. I had many chances to give it up, but just don't have the heart to do it.

Now, when it comes to Directorship, I totally want to get there, but there are a couple things stopping me. I have talked to my director about them and she is very supportive and understanding....and patient, to be putting up with me!! LOL

You see, I live 14 hours away from my Director! I've only seen her twice, at National Conference. There are a couple other consultants on PEI, but I don't even know who they are, except for one. My recruiter is no longer selling, but I know that she would be there for me, if I needed her, but she is so busy with her life, that it's not really an option. But, she has been sending all her past customers to me, which is great! :)

Also, I work FT and have a DH and 4 YO DD at home that I want to spend time with. Sometimes I feel like I spend too much time on PC, but then again, that has to do with organization, so that's a whole other subject! I have a full schedule this month, which I have never had. I'd like to have a full calendar for a few months to see how it goes before I decide to make Directorship a serious goal of mine. I know that I do need to offer the opportunity nonetheless, so I will at least commit to doing that and we'll see what happens in the new year.

Now, I need to go revise my goals..........

Thanks everyone for your inspirational words! I love this place! :love:

I'll be honest: Don't directors have to submit $750 in sales every month- then on top of that need accumulative $4000 from the team? Holy Cow!!! I have trouble sometimes (mainly Jan-Feb) staying active as just a consultant! I look forward to doing newsletters, holding meetings, etc...but I haven't had great success in having enough bookings on my calendar to keep my nose above water as a director!

Last edited:
My director explained it this way, when you are doing $4000 consistently, promoting to director will be easy to achieve, because you are booking enough shows, in front of enough people for your boookings and recruit leads to be there, it is just a natural progression, and you know what- she was right, when I worked hard to get my bookings up, my sales went up, and thus my recruit leads, and then recruits were there- I guess HO really knows what they are talking about, you think?

You're right, Sue. Actually, $4000, I think, is quite doable! I had only 4 shows in September and my sales were $2900. Really, when you think of it, $4000 is 2 shows a week averaging at $500, so if we learn tricks to increase our show averages, we can easily do it! Of course, it has to be something you want to do!

So, I figure, if I work my business SMART and NOT HARD, I can do this and not have the rest of my activities suffer in the process.

I need to get out the CD on working FT and doing PC...it's really good! :)

Are the Director maintenance requirements different in Canada? I'm just curious (OK, nosy). Since minimums for shows are higher, does that carry through all requirements?

Hello All,

I am new to CS and so far I have found it to be very wonderful and helpful. Reading your posts about promoting made me re-focus again!

I just recently recruited my 2nd consultant and will be attending Leadership. Way Excited!! I have been a consultant since April '08. I have a "plate" with my goals written on them for this year and into the next.

For example:
Director by Conference '09
8-10 shows/month
Advanced Director by '10
(These are just a few)

My goals are long-term. I look to where I want to take my business! I want to take it is far as National Executive Director. (If the Lord has that in my plan. He is my coach and knows where I will be headed before I do!)

Anyway, I am nervous but excited about becoming a director and taking on the extra responsibilities. Honestly, the best advice I can give as a newbie is that you need to take ownership of your business. It is YOUR'S! Take it is as far as you want to and don't let anyone or anything stand in your way. Your attitude towards YOUR business will be a factor.

:chef:

Melissa...welcome to CS and PC! By your words of encouragement, sounds to me like you're going to make an awesome Director! You're on the right track! :D Good job!

I can promote this month after 2 of my recruits submit shows that they have already done. But, my cluster has never even come close to 4000 in sales and I do not come close to being able to carry the team. My director wants me to promote (of course) but I know I am not ready. I just think it would be too painful to promote to turn around and lose all my recruits to my director when I can't make the requirement.

Jenni- you have a 3 month grace period when you first promote. And if you keep adding to your team, then your team's sales will keep growing, too. If you're not ready to promote this month, consider accepting it Dec. 1. You'll get the $250 bonus, and be at Director level for the 2009 incentives. :) And then keep at your business like you haven't promoted (keep recruiting).

I am all ready for the call- and I think I am at the point, where I am ready- I am consistently doing the $4000+ myself, without my team, and my bookings are where I want, so I think I will be fine!!! Now, I just hope I am not gone when they call, since I do not know exactly when they will call.

1. What are the main responsibilities of a Director at Pampered Chef?

As a Director at Pampered Chef, you will be responsible for leading and managing a team of Consultants, as well as promoting and selling the company's products. You will also be in charge of training and mentoring your team, setting goals and strategies, and helping your team members achieve their own success.

2. How much time and effort is required to be a successful Director?

Being a successful Director requires a significant amount of time and effort. You will need to be dedicated and committed to your team, and be willing to put in the necessary hours to help them grow and succeed. This may include hosting team meetings, attending company events, and spending time training and coaching your team members.

3. What support and resources are available for Directors?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of support and resources for Directors to help them succeed. This includes training and development programs, online resources, and a network of experienced Directors who are available to provide guidance and advice. Additionally, the company provides marketing materials and tools to help you promote your business and products.

4. What is the earning potential for a Director at Pampered Chef?

The earning potential for a Director at Pampered Chef is dependent on various factors, such as the size and success of your team, the amount of time and effort you put into your business, and your personal sales and leadership skills. However, Directors have the potential to earn a significant income through commissions, bonuses, and other incentives.

5. What are some common challenges that Directors face?

Some common challenges that Directors may face include balancing their time between their personal business and leading their team, motivating and managing team members, and dealing with competition in the market. However, with the support and resources provided by Pampered Chef, these challenges can be overcome with dedication and determination.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• 11accold
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • vanscootin
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
ChefChris
  • jcsmilez