1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Favorite micro cake (or skillet cake) for show??

1. ChefJoyJ

ChefJoyJ Veteran Member

I know there are dozens of threads for recipes for micro and skillet cakes, but my brain is somewhat fried, thanks to my 8 month old's 5am wake up call and subsequent very, very short naps today. :yuck: I received a call from a past host in response to my new newlsetter, and she wanted to book a show next Saturday (thanks Joy and tasty tidbits!!). :thumbup: When discussing menu ideas, I suggested the 10 minute pork tenderloin and either a micro cake or skillet cake. The theory being, "in the time it would take to order pizza, you can make a complete meal at home...including dessert!" She loved the idea, but now I need to decide which cake to do. I need to send her the menu/ingredient list soon, since the show is next week.

So...all you Cheffers...what are your favorite micro/skillet cakes for shows?

Jul 26, 2009
  2. Beckycooks

Beckycooks Novice Member

The Pineapple Upsidedown Cake in the fluted pan is always a hit. Of course, cutting the fresh pineapple with the the corer.:chef:

Jul 26, 2009
  3. dannyzmom

dannyzmom Legend Member Gold Member

Oooooh Becky, I am salivating just thinking about it - can you post the recipe
    please?

Jul 26, 2009
  4. sassypip

sassypip Member Silver Member

I just made a yummy chocolate cake in the fluted pan. ALl I did was add 1 choc cake mix, 3 eggs and 16 oz of sour cream. Use the mix and scraper in the batter bowl until it is all mixed up. I sprayed the fluted pan with some oil in the kitchen spritzer and then coated the inside of the pan with the Mocha Hazlenut sprinkles. Pour in the cake mixture. THen mix some of the sprinkles into a can of chocolate frosting. USe the medium scoop to scoop mounds of the frosting onto the cake mixture around the circle. Bake in microwave for about 15 minutes turning every 3 min if no turntable. Let sit for 10 and then run a knife around the inside of the pan and out side. Put a plate over top and invert. If you have frosting leftover, you can mocrowave for about 30 seconds in a prep bowl and drizzle over the top of the cake. OMG! IT is chocolate heaven! Goes great with coffee! :)

Jul 26, 2009
  5. I like the mob cake made in the deep covered baker in the microwave. Cake mix and pie filling all made in the deep covered baker.

Jul 26, 2009
  6. ShanaSmith

ShanaSmith Veteran Member Silver Member

I love doing micro cakes, and do a ton of them... but If I was making the pork in the micro already I would go with the skillet cake instead.

Jul 26, 2009
  7. ChefJoyJ

ChefJoyJ Veteran Member

That was my thought too...but my host loves micro cakes. And "selling the idea" that you can cook an entire meal w/o ever turning on the oven.

Jul 26, 2009
  8. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

I did the Pineapple Upside Down Skillet cake on Friday at my show. Wow, it's good. I had forgotten to grab my 12" non-stick skillet (I only have the Professional version right now)....but I did have my 10" Stainless Steel skillet. I buttered it really well, and mixed the cake as instructed. I used all but about 1 cup of the batter - just in case it was too much, but I think I could have used it all and been fine since it's a pretty deep pan.

Pineapple upside down cake in the microwave/fluted stone or skillet/oven:

Topping (first)

1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick) melted
    1 cup brown sugar

Mix the two together, spread evenly in the bottom of the stoneware fluted pan (or skillet). Top with pineapple slices (used the Pineapple wedger and FRESH PINEAPPLE!) BIG HIT. Arrange the pineapple wedges together to form circles. Place 1 maraschino cherry in the middle of each one.

Cake:

1 pkg Yellow Cake mix OR Duncan Hines "Pineapple Upside Cake" mix
    ingredients for cake.

Mix cake mix according to package directions (substituting the water with pineapple juice if using yellow cake). Pour over top of pineapple and brown sugar/butter mixture.

Microwave on high 10-12 minutes............
    If cooking in Skillet, bake at 350 F in oven for 35-40 minutes. (I stick it in first, before starting demo.)

Flip out onto serving platter and enjoy the ooooohhhhss and aaaaaaahhhhhss!!!! AND, served warm, just melts in your mouth!!!!!

-usually buy the Duncan Hines pineapple upside down cake mix - really don't see a difference in that one versus a yellow cake mix if you are using the pineapple juice instead of water.

flip it within just a few minutes - never longer than 5. Like to let the brown sugar and butter run all over it.

Jul 26, 2009
  9. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

my fav skillet cake is still the turtle fudge skillet cake. oh boy I can eat this every nite...lol

Jul 26, 2009
  10. pkd09

pkd09 Future Director Silver Member

In the fluted pan I love the Kahlua Cake. In the family skillet the Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

Jul 27, 2009
  11. PCMomto4

PCMomto4 Member

I seconded the turtle fudge skillet cake, everyone always loves it.

Jul 27, 2009
  12. bknowles67

bknowles67 Novice Member

The Chocolaye Cherry Skillet Cake recipe that comes with the Executive Family skillet is always a hit at my shows! Plus its lower in fat than other cakes because no oil is added and only egg whites are used. It never fails to enticie someone to book to get it half price.

Jul 27, 2009
Have something to add?