1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Fast cooling a cake?

1. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I am practicing the batter bowl football cake but didn't remember until right before I put it in the oven that of course it needs to cool before I can decorate it! Can I put it in the fridge to speed this up a little?

Sep 9, 2010
  2. LilChefBeth

LilChefBeth Novice Member

I dont know if you are supposed to, but I do. I usually put cakes in the freezer though- its alot easier to frost them. But like I said, I dont know if thats bad for the cake. :p

Sep 9, 2010
  3. wadesgirl

It's only the boys at work eating it so if it worked for you I'll go for it! Otherwise I'll be up until midnight!

Sep 9, 2010
  4. akrebecca

akrebecca Rebecca M. Silver Member

I have a friend who is a professional cake decorator and she puts the cakes in the freezer before icing. She has found that there are less crumbs and the cake seems to hold together much better.

Sep 10, 2010
  5. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

FYI, don't freeze a decorated cake unless you are planning to give it plenty of time to "thaw" before the event. If you take it out and right to, oh say a WEDDING in a church were the A/C is not working properly, it will start sweating due to the temperature change. My sister learned that lesson the hard way. :(

Sep 10, 2010
  6. chefa

chefa Advanced Member

I bake professionally also and I never, ever put a hot (or even warm) cake in the fridge or freezer to cool. Instead, wrap it with a towel and place in a cooler area of your home or if you have a small fan that can blow directly on it to help cool it faster, that works too. Just don't put it in front of a fan uncovered or it will dry out.

Once the cake has cooled to room temp, then it's safe to double wrap in plastic wrap and place in your refrigerator or freezer. To frost, remove cake from freezer and gently brush the crumbs from the entire cake. Then put a thin layer of frosting, called the crumb coat, on frozen cake to seal it and keep those snarky crumbs from showing up in your finished product. Allow that to set till you can gently touch it without frosting sticking to your finger. Once that's done, you can frost and decorate at will. Hope this helps.

Sep 10, 2010
  7. wadesgirl

The fridge worked perfect last night! Plus apparently cooking it in the batter bowl helps with that pesky crumb problem! Didn't have a single problem frosting it. Will have to post pictures later on tonight. I think it turned out pretty well.

Sep 10, 2010
  8. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

Yes, please, I would love to see pictures!

Sep 10, 2010
  9. punkie1019

punkie1019 Member

I would love to see pictures too. I always tell people you can make a doll cake in the batter bowl but I have never heard of the football cake. How Cool. Can't wait to see how that would be done.

Sep 10, 2010
  10. chefheidi2003

chefheidi2003 Senior Member Gold Member

Thank you so much for posting this. I am making a bday cake for a big bday suprise party that we are having next week. I am nervous. This is SO helpful thank you so much.

11. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

To make a football cake (or an egg for Easter - same shape) just make a cake in the batter bowl, cut in half top to bottom and out the two halves together into the football/egg shape. Frost as desired.

Sep 10, 2010
  12. lesliec

lesliec Veteran Member

I have a friend who takes every cake straight from the oven to the freezer. She says it helps keep the moisture in.
    Glad to hear it worked for you.

Sep 10, 2010
Have something to add?