• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooling a Batter Bowl Football Cake: Is Fridge an Option?

In summary, the batter bowl football cake can be made in the batter bowl, and does not need to be cooled before being frosted and decorated.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I am practicing the batter bowl football cake but didn't remember until right before I put it in the oven that of course it needs to cool before I can decorate it! Can I put it in the fridge to speed this up a little?

I dont know if you are supposed to, but I do. I usually put cakes in the freezer though- its alot easier to frost them. But like I said, I dont know if thats bad for the cake. :p

It's only the boys at work eating it so if it worked for you I'll go for it! Otherwise I'll be up until midnight!

I have a friend who is a professional cake decorator and she puts the cakes in the freezer before icing. She has found that there are less crumbs and the cake seems to hold together much better.

FYI, don't freeze a decorated cake unless you are planning to give it plenty of time to "thaw" before the event. If you take it out and right to, oh say a WEDDING in a church were the A/C is not working properly, it will start sweating due to the temperature change. My sister learned that lesson the hard way. :(

I bake professionally also and I never, ever put a hot (or even warm) cake in the fridge or freezer to cool. Instead, wrap it with a towel and place in a cooler area of your home or if you have a small fan that can blow directly on it to help cool it faster, that works too. Just don't put it in front of a fan uncovered or it will dry out.

Once the cake has cooled to room temp, then it's safe to double wrap in plastic wrap and place in your refrigerator or freezer. To frost, remove cake from freezer and gently brush the crumbs from the entire cake. Then put a thin layer of frosting, called the crumb coat, on frozen cake to seal it and keep those snarky crumbs from showing up in your finished product. Allow that to set till you can gently touch it without frosting sticking to your finger. Once that's done, you can frost and decorate at will. Hope this helps.

The fridge worked perfect last night! Plus apparently cooking it in the batter bowl helps with that pesky crumb problem! Didn't have a single problem frosting it. Will have to post pictures later on tonight. I think it turned out pretty well.

Yes, please, I would love to see pictures!

I would love to see pictures too. I always tell people you can make a doll cake in the batter bowl but I have never heard of the football cake. How Cool. Can't wait to see how that would be done.

chefa said:
I bake professionally also and I never, ever put a hot (or even warm) cake in the fridge or freezer to cool. Instead, wrap it with a towel and place in a cooler area of your home or if you have a small fan that can blow directly on it to help cool it faster, that works too. Just don't put it in front of a fan uncovered or it will dry out.

Once the cake has cooled to room temp, then it's safe to double wrap in plastic wrap and place in your refrigerator or freezer. To frost, remove cake from freezer and gently brush the crumbs from the entire cake. Then put a thin layer of frosting, called the crumb coat, on frozen cake to seal it and keep those snarky crumbs from showing up in your finished product. Allow that to set till you can gently touch it without frosting sticking to your finger. Once that's done, you can frost and decorate at will. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for posting this. I am making a bday cake for a big bday suprise party that we are having next week. I am nervous. This is SO helpful thank you so much.

punkie1019 said:
I would love to see pictures too. I always tell people you can make a doll cake in the batter bowl but I have never heard of the football cake. How Cool. Can't wait to see how that would be done.

To make a football cake (or an egg for Easter - same shape) just make a cake in the batter bowl, cut in half top to bottom and out the two halves together into the football/egg shape. Frost as desired.

I have a friend who takes every cake straight from the oven to the freezer. She says it helps keep the moisture in.
Glad to hear it worked for you.

1. Can I put the batter bowl football cake in the fridge to cool?

Yes, the fridge is an option for cooling the batter bowl football cake. However, this may cause the cake to become more dense and may also affect the final texture and appearance.

2. How long should I leave the batter bowl football cake in the fridge to cool?

The amount of time needed to cool the batter bowl football cake in the fridge will vary depending on the size of the cake and your fridge temperature. Generally, it is recommended to leave the cake in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours before serving.

3. Can I cool the batter bowl football cake on the counter instead of the fridge?

Yes, you can cool the batter bowl football cake on the counter. However, this may take longer and it is important to ensure that the cake is not exposed to direct sunlight or heat sources.

4. Is it necessary to cool the batter bowl football cake before decorating?

Yes, it is recommended to cool the batter bowl football cake before decorating. This will help the cake to hold its shape and prevent it from crumbling or melting while adding decorations.

5. Can I use a cooling rack to cool the batter bowl football cake?

Yes, you can use a cooling rack to cool the batter bowl football cake. This will help to evenly distribute the air and cool the cake faster. However, make sure to place a sheet of parchment paper or foil underneath the cooling rack to catch any drips or crumbs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • ChefBeth2
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
nikkies
  • Chef Kearns
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies