1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Booths Farmers Market

1. Bill Faber

Bill Faber Member Gold Member

So I have been working hard to find something consistent to build my business. I found a local farmers market which I am able to get into and am really excited about it. What I want to know is what would you do to build excitement week after week. Obviously I will have people who are there week after week and I want to be able to make them want to come to my tent and become customers.

I am going to do some small cash and carry and because it is a farmers market I thought the spices would be easy and appropriate. Plus no tax so that is an great thing. What I am not sure is that I can have electric so do I want to make some kind of food item in the future and if so what do I do for WOW factor that will be something easy that will make people want to come to the booth. Any help you have would be appreciated I am pretty excited and hopeful that this will be the boost I need to propel my business upwards. :chef:

Jan 11, 2010
  2. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

You'll want to be careful about making food for the customers. Codes vary from state to state, but you might need a license to distribute food in a public place.

One thing you could do to keep things fresh is to display a different interesting item each week--DCB, Mandoline, etc. They could be conversation starters.

Jan 11, 2010
  3. I would HIGHLY recommend KICKBUTTBOOTHS where this lady trains you on how to effectively sell at a booth and get tons of bookings...its not cheap, but i felt it was worth every penny since i dont really know what i'm doing!!

Jan 11, 2010
  4. Bill Faber

Re: Farmers Market- Update

So I have done this three weeks and tomorrow will be week number 4( its been a month)

I have at least made my entrance fee. Gotten at least one sale each week. Sold a couple of the spices that I had pre-bought.

Today I got a call from someone I met and she wants to order a couple of knives, and her daughter wants a couple of things and one of the ladies she cleans the house for also wants something( maybe this will be a show.) SO I guess it is starting to pay off.

I am begining to feel like I am starting to develop a realtionship with the people there. I have people who see me and come up. So that is a good thing.

Feb 12, 2010
  5. DessertDivaFL

DessertDivaFL Veteran Member Gold Member

Oh Bill, I have been doing Farmer's Market booths in FL for over a year now. Let me say from my experience that it will be trial and error. You will find that during "season", you will have the snowbirds who will only want your cash and carry and then you'll have the year-round locals that you can get to order and book shows.

Relationships and planting seeds is key to a booth. You want to interact by asking them questions and find out their knowledge of TPC and take it from there. Ask questions like "What tool in your kitchen would you like to replace?" "What is your favorite TPC item?" "Have you been to a cooking show lately?" The cash and carry items that sell the best for me are the seasonings, mini-serving spatulas and citrus peelers.

If you have any more questions you can PM me.

Feb 12, 2010
  6. PamperedSD

PamperedSD Member

Bill - I hope everything is going well with your booth! Did you get a show out of it yet?

Danielle - I have my first Farmers Market coming up this month. Its in smaller town just outside of the city where I live. What types of catalogs do you use at your booth? I was thinking of having the mini ones and then a stack of the older ones with a sticker and then having a few new ones for people that plan to order.

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2010
  7. Bill Faber

Re: Farmers Market Update

I got a show the first week from one of the other vendors. And I do get enough sales every two weeks to have an catalog show. So I think so far I am happy with my results. I mean I have added around 400 dollars a month to my sales so I can not complain and it has been pretty consistent.

I am still working to branch out a bit on the sales. I have an business I am going to pamper. And that came from one of the markets. I am working to get a tri-board done so that will drive booking interest a bit more.

An advanced director suggested and I am thinking of trying this, when someone ask for a catalog advising that I do not have them with me and I will mail them one. Provide them a drawing slip and they can fill it out. She said that in turn will get them to provide informating and might even provide something like interest in the business or a show.

So I am plugging a way and I doing well with it. I am happy with the results. Still not up to the consistent 6 shows a month but I am working hard to get there. It will come.

Mar 11, 2010
Have something to add?