• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fanny Packs: Are They Suddenly Fashionable?

In summary, the conversation is about fanny packs and whether they are suddenly fashionable. The group discusses their opinions on fanny packs, with some saying they will never be fashionable and others admitting to using them for convenience. There is also a mention of designer brands like Coach making fanny packs, but the general consensus is that they are not fashionable. Some members also mention using fanny packs for outdoor activities like hiking or skiing.
kcmckay
Gold Member
Now please don't anyone take offense but I need to know. Is this suddenly fashionable????

On Saturday myself and another consultant had a table at a rummage sale. While there she asked me if they were suddenly back in fashion. And I said not that I'm aware of thinking she was referring to the elderly people with the standard usual ones you see.(my MIL also uses one shudder). Anyway then she said I can't believe coach makes them! ??? I was confused and then saw the girl she was referring to. Who was definitely pretty young and I thought she was wearing a coach belt because I didn't see it from the front. And I figured it was a flooky thing.

Then today on my lunch I was reading a People and there was an insert about fannie packs being made stylish by such stars as Madonna while on vacation??

I'm sorry I will never accept them as fashionable no matter who makes them and would never spend whatever extremity coach charges for one no matter how IN it is. Just curious on others thoughts on this.

By the way I think I'm getting way to good at avoiding work at my real job!! Sort of I really don't have anything to do!!;)

I'm with you, Katie. For me fanny packs go in the same category as visible bra straps, whale-tailing, and the like. Just because celebrities are doing it, doesn't mean it's a good idea. The Furry Guy has a fanny pack. He wears it when we go for a mid-length hike. A long hike requires a backpack. No one looks good in a fanny pack. As much as I love him, that includes The Furry Guy.

Oh HELL NO!!!!!! They will never and I mean NEVER be fashionable in my book.
I shudder when I see anyone with one, I don't care if Gucci, Coach, Louis starts to make them..... hell no freaking way!!!

Hope I didn't offend anyone either

I really don't care what people think. If I am doing something and need a few items but don't want to wear a backpack or carry a purse, then I wear whatever it takes! I'm all for convenience, not fashion. Course, I shop at Wal-mart...what do I know? :D

Never fashionable, but occasionally functional. I've seen parking attendants at festivals wearing them (plain, not designer), as a place to put money. Then it's just part of an ugly work uniform.

My butt is big enough without adding a pack to it.

pcsharon1 said:

lol.. mine too!!

esavvymom said:
I really don't care what people think. If I am doing something and need a few items but don't want to wear a backpack or carry a purse, then I wear whatever it takes! I'm all for convenience, not fashion. Course, I shop at Wal-mart...what do I know? :D

Hey I wasn't trying to offend.:blushing: Just cause you shop at Walmart doesn't mean you can't be fashionable!! Most everyone shops at Walmart at least some of the time. I prefer Target but will go to Walmart on occasion. And hey we were looking at Avon and there is a dress in Mark section that's very cute and my 25 year old coworker found one very similar at Walmart!!:p I just don't think that Fannie Packs should be considered fashionable :yuck:and shame on coach and any other "designer" who makes them!!:eek::eek:;)

I wasn't offended...promise! Takes alot more than that to offend me. ;)

pcsharon1 said:

Same here!

I was also kinda surprised to see this back in, but I do have to admit to the occasional use of one when visiting a theme park, I turn it toward the front where I hope it is less of a billboard :blushing:

I didn't like them when they came out the first time!! I definitely don't like them now!

The Furry Guy got hooked on them when they first came out. He was a long-distance bicyclist. Fanny packs were actually developed for cyclists. For him it's a holdover to those days. However, they never were and never will be fashionable, no matter how many people wear them.

I can understand the use behind them, but I just can't get past the look!!

I have one from the Gap that I got YEARS ago that I use when I go skiing (it's black vinyl), so it's more of a place to keep stuff like tissues, lip balm, keys, money, etc. so it doesn't get lost and I can get to it easier than a pocket. I would never wear one out, though, but I am known to be a sucker for Coach, so who knows! LOL! ;)

The only time I use one is when we go to Disneyland (or some other theme park). That way I have what I need but I'm not keeping up with a big backpack.

OK, now this is kinda cute: http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/SearchResultsView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&quickOrder=yes&searchKeyword=hip%20bag&cacheKeyword=BAG%20HIP

See, I told you I was a sucker for Coach! ;)

cathyskitchen said:
OK, now this is kinda cute: http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/SearchResultsView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&quickOrder=yes&searchKeyword=hip%20bag&cacheKeyword=BAG%20HIP

See, I told you I was a sucker for Coach! ;)

That's cute, but doesn't look like a fanny pack to me, more like a clutch or a very small purse.

I have never worn a 'fanny pack' on the back of my waist...I've always worn it on the front. Not that it is much better, but again, it's the purpose, not the look for me. :D

And that Coach's price tag is very 'cute' too! That's why I hate the talk shows that have their stories about "budget-friendly" fashionable outfits...and then proceed to tell you the whole outfit ONLY costs $185! (one outfit?!?! :eek:)

Capris and shorts aren't considered 'fashionable' either by the 'professionals', but you won't see me giving them up any time soon!

I love fanny packs I think they are very fashionable. I wear one everywhere.:rolleyes::p:rolleyes::p:rolleyes::p:rolleyes::p

I dont really wear one. I would prbaly maybe think about it if I was in a theme park somewhere

merego said:
Oh HELL NO!!!!!! They will never and I mean NEVER be fashionable in my book.
I shudder when I see anyone with one, I don't care if Gucci, Coach, Louis starts to make them..... hell no freaking way!!!

Hope I didn't offend anyone either

Gee, Meredith, did you have an opinion on this? :D:love::love:

I don't have anything different to add than what's already been said - but you all have great senses of humor! I love coming onto CS at the end of a stressful day (and, when I can sneak on, in the middle too!).

pcsharon1 said:

"Does my butt make this fanny pack look small?"

The first time I saw one, I remarked to my spouse-at-the-time, "Since when are colostomy bags in fashion?"

KG - You are killin' me!!

As to fanny packs ... hmm, honestly I could see me wearing one. Mostly to hide my 'mom-belly'. LOL

Crystal Patton said:
As to fanny packs ... hmm, honestly I could see me wearing one. Mostly to hide my 'mom-belly'. LOL

What if it just sits on a 'mom-belly' - that would be worse than putting it on my butt.

OK, gotta join the "debate" because I really do agree they're hideous, but I'm of the "when they're necessary, use 'em" rule of thumb. I DO wear one when we go to theme parks, mainly because I have my hands full enough when chasing after two three-year-old toddlers. It's a convenience issue, as well as a security issue when there are so many people everywhere in the parks. I have also used one at a garage sale to help me tuck money away safely. Would I wear one to the mall? No. To the grocery store? No. I wear mine facing the front, too...I'm with Crystal about using it to cover my mom-belly. :)

I hate them as well...however...I have been known to wear one at Disney and also when on the motorcycle. A purse is not practical in either situation. I wear mine in the front towards the side though...don't want to make the bellly look larger thank you very much ;)

pcsharon1 said:

Yes! And another thing I hope never comes back in fashion is the big bows dresses used to have on the behind in the late 80s. :yuck:

Rae:
My DH is a bicyclist too. So looking at their One piece outfits (the suspender type with the whole stomach area exposed.) vs the fanny pack....well gotta go with the fanny pack LOL :blushing:
raebates said:
The Furry Guy got hooked on them when they first came out. He was a long-distance bicyclist. Fanny packs were actually developed for cyclists. For him it's a holdover to those days. However, they never were and never will be fashionable, no matter how many people wear them.

I also agree that fanny packs are not fashionable. That being said, I do find them useful-hiking, fairs & theme parks. I never wear them on my fanny-too easy for others to help themselves & I don't need any extra additions to my fanny's profile! I have two-one that has a small profile and can be converted to a shoulder purse. My other one I used when I would go places with the kids when they were little. The top of the pack is flat so I would use it to help 'carry' the baby or toddler.

Hey--do you think we might get a Special Edition of a PC Disney Fanny Pack?:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone's saying that no one should ever wear a fanny pack. I think the surprise was that Coach was making them. When we go to amusement parks and rummage sale runs, fashion isn't the main concern. So, wear them when you're hiking, roller-coastering, and rummage-saling. Just don't wear them when you go out to dinner with the girls.

I have one I've worn on vacation to Mexico or Europe. It is a soft leather and I wear it on the side and it isn't obvious to anyone (looks like a belt). Keeps my passport and funds handy and I hope safe. Of course, I've never been a fashion plate anyway, so it doesn't matter.

raebates said:
I don't think anyone's saying that no one should ever wear a fanny pack. I think the surprise was that Coach was making them. When we go to amusement parks and rummage sale runs, fashion isn't the main concern.

So, wear them when you're hiking, roller-coastering, and rummage-saling. Just don't wear them when you go out to dinner with the girls.[/QUOTE]

THAT cracked me up!!! LOL

I don't have anything different to add than what's already been said - but you all have great senses of humor! I love coming onto CS at the end of a stressful day (and, when I can sneak on, in the middle too!).[/QUOTE]

I love CS too and I was bored while sneaking on yesterday like now!! I think I have a problem!!!:blushing::rolleyes: oops almost caught. I better get back to work!!

raebates said:
I don't think anyone's saying that no one should ever wear a fanny pack. I think the surprise was that Coach was making them. When we go to amusement parks and rummage sale runs, fashion isn't the main concern.

No Rae I meant no one should ever be wearing them!!!:p I'm just kidding don't berate me!! I just didn't understand it being said that they were being made fashionable by stars such as Madonna(not that I've ever felt compelled to use her as a style icon)

So, wear them when you're hiking, roller-coastering, and rummage-saling. Just don't wear them when you go out to dinner with the girls.

Yes do not wear them out with the girls unless you want to be picked on mercfilly!!:)

Then I guess the one I bought to wear with my wedding gown is out?

I am so glad this thread came back up because it reminded me that there is a fanny pack with a built in speaker for your IPod (or something to that effect) highlighted in the new Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine. I couldn't believe I was seeing it.

That's actually a great idea if you're a runner, hiker, or bicyclist. Otherwise, just say no.

pampchefsarah said:
Gee, Meredith, did you have an opinion on this? :D:love::love:

I don't have anything different to add than what's already been said - but you all have great senses of humor! I love coming onto CS at the end of a stressful day (and, when I can sneak on, in the middle too!).

Ha ha...... When it comes to fashion, I am very serious and opinionated :)
Don't let Stacy and Clinton catch you out with that Fannie Pack.... oh hell no.... ha ha :)

sklay723 said:
OK, gotta join the "debate" because I really do agree they're hideous, but I'm of the "when they're necessary, use 'em" rule of thumb. I DO wear one when we go to theme parks, mainly because I have my hands full enough when chasing after two three-year-old toddlers. It's a convenience issue, as well as a security issue when there are so many people everywhere in the parks. I have also used one at a garage sale to help me tuck money away safely. Would I wear one to the mall? No. To the grocery store? No. I wear mine facing the front, too...I'm with Crystal about using it to cover my mom-belly. :)

oh Katie..... No you DID NOT :) ha ha ha ha;);)

i miss fanny pack fashion! i don't carry a lot in my purse, so it's always slipping off my shoulder. i liked being able to tuck the essentials into my fanny pack and have both arms free. i only wore it in the back when cycling.

i don't think i'm ready for them to return however

They launched a "wellness program" at my job and part of the walking kit that we got today was a red and black fanny pack with the company name on it. It's hideous but I had to laugh when I saw this thread when I got home from work holding it.

This thread made me laugh, I must admit I generally wear a small fanny pack on the front when I gamble. Most always I have a jacket or a long button up shirt on when I gamble too. It's easy acess to all my winnings!! or more like funds? :D

Anyway cute thread, and I'd have to maybe even consider a Coach one.. but then again I'm a sucker for Coach as well.

thanks for the chuckle, I needed it today, been sick for about 5 days now!

I've worn one ONCE...but it wasn't mine, it was a First Aid kit and I was dragging a horseback ride. It's one of the only ways to carry a First Aid kit while horseback riding and not have it be in the way. Of course, it hides your butt then and looks really small compared to the horse's butt.

They are great for hiking you usually have a place for a water, crackers, chap stick etc. I use one alot

Anyway then she said I can't believe coach makes them

As one who was never much into "brand name" accessories, and as the mother of a former athlete, when I read this I thought it meant the girl's athletic coach made them wear fanny packs!

Maybe I should go to bed early....:blushing:

janetupnorth said:
I've worn one ONCE...but it wasn't mine, it was a First Aid kit and I was dragging a horseback ride. It's one of the only ways to carry a First Aid kit while horseback riding and not have it be in the way. Of course, it hides your butt then and looks really small compared to the horse's butt.

LOL Too funny, I have to tell my Mom so she has a defense to the teasing her sweetie gives her about her fanny pack when she rides.

Jess_K said:
This thread made me laugh, I must admit I generally wear a small fanny pack on the front when I gamble. Most always I have a jacket or a long button up shirt on when I gamble too. It's easy acess to all my winnings!! or more like funds? :D

Anyway cute thread, and I'd have to maybe even consider a Coach one.. but then again I'm a sucker for Coach as well.

thanks for the chuckle, I needed it today, been sick for about 5 days now!

Laughter is the best medicine!! Hope you feel better soon.

I always liked fanny packs....just didn't like the name. Just like others have said, they are great for theme parks, hiking, cycling, vacationing and any other time you don't want to carry your purse with your hands. I mostly use one when I march in the not-for- profit band I'm in; hard to carry a purse and an instrument. Always carry in the front and I've never accidently forgotten it in a restaurant! Never taken one on a girls night out, but if I did my friends wouldn't razz me about it....they know I have not fashion sense and are use to it. :D

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • chefheidi2003
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
poohritz
  • PampChefDeb
  • General Chat
Replies