• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Alert: Facebook Fan Check Virus Spreads Malware - Mashable Update

In summary, the app is not a virus, but people are panicking because their friends tagged them in photos. The app is bad and should be removed.
pcchefjane
Gold Member
I know a lot of you have been using this application and I found some information online about a virus that is connected to it.

Latest update on it from Mashable The Social Media Guide:

Last week, we reported on the supposed “Facebook Fan Check Virus,” which allegedly spreads malware via Facebook. The app itself promises to tell you who your top Facebook friends are, based on how much they engage with your profile. As initially suspected, Facebook has confirmed that the app itself isn’t a virus, though this thread on the app’s fan page suggests that it is rather buggy. To that end, Facebook also tells us that they’ve “disabled some of its functionality due to other concerns.” Nonetheless, the viral spread of misinformation via status updates (likely originating with the virus creators) is leading people to search Google (Google), where many links to malware still exist as malicious sites promise “fixes” that actually install a virus onto the user’s computer. The bottom line seems to be there’s not much to see here, but don’t (a) be duped into downloading a “fix” for a virus that doesn’t exist or (b) install what appears to be a buggy application that Facebook (Facebook) has at least some issues with.

There is no virus connected to it. It is just a bad application.The "virus" is that people keep saying it's a virus and spreading that like wildfire. Then people panic and when the word virus cues ads for malware and other virus fixes, they click on that to download or help which is an actual virus.Fan Check is just a bad application, go remove it and be done and don't panic.

Thanks ladies. I saw a "warning" yesterday... got a fan check "tagged" to me, so I started to worry! :p

Honestly, don't understand how being "tagged" in a photo would cause you to get a virus. Especially if you didn't download anything. That's what I've been trying to tell my friends. If you didn't allow access to your computer (downloading/allowing the app), you can't possibly get the virus, b/c you did not make your computer vulnerable.

However, panic has ensued and people are swearing that since their friend "tagged" them, their computers have gone wonky.

I dunno.

ChefJoyJ said:
Honestly, don't understand how being "tagged" in a photo would cause you to get a virus. Especially if you didn't download anything. That's what I've been trying to tell my friends. If you didn't allow access to your computer (downloading/allowing the app), you can't possibly get the virus, b/c you did not make your computer vulnerable.

However, panic has ensued and people are swearing that since their friend "tagged" them, their computers have gone wonky.

I dunno.

Well the person who posted the "warning" mentioned something about being tagged can hurt so I started to worry.

Anytime you are tagged in a photo, this allows anyone viewing that photo to view your photos even if you are NOT on their friend list. I have seen that happen myself with photos. The malware is the bad thing....it can get into your computer and get all kinds of info we don't need out there! I didn't mean to sound "panicked". I just don't want my FB to be any crazier! I deleted the application from my FB apps and I still got a post from it on my Wall!

What is the Facebook Fan Check Virus?

The Facebook Fan Check Virus is a type of malware that spreads through Facebook messages and posts. It tricks users into clicking on malicious links or downloading harmful files.

How does the Facebook Fan Check Virus spread?

The virus typically spreads through Facebook messages and posts, often from someone on a user's friend list. It may also spread through fake Facebook pages or posts that appear to be from legitimate sources.

What are the potential risks of the Facebook Fan Check Virus?

The Facebook Fan Check Virus can lead to the theft of personal information, such as login credentials and financial data. It may also infect a user's device with other types of malware that can cause further harm.

How can I protect myself from the Facebook Fan Check Virus?

To protect yourself from the Facebook Fan Check Virus, do not click on suspicious links or download files from unknown sources. It is also important to keep your device's operating system and antivirus software up to date.

What should I do if I think I have been infected with the Facebook Fan Check Virus?

If you believe you have been infected with the Facebook Fan Check Virus, immediately run a virus scan on your device and change your Facebook password. You may also want to alert your friends and family to be cautious of any messages or posts from your account.

Back