• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Phone Call Friday: Don't Miss Out!

In summary, Jenny's family celebrates Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. They have a tradition of having a pumpkin party to get together and celebrate, and they exchange gifts the day after Thanksgiving. For Christmas, they go to their sister's house and have breakfast, lunch, and evening.
PampMomof3
Gold Member
Phone Call Friday!!Hey guys!!!
:sun:
Don't forget the phone call at noon CT TODAY! Friday. I can't wait to find out what the recruit thing is!!!:D

(Don't ask why I'm up at 1 am, well, I'll tell you anyway, I have a MAJOR toothache :cry::cry:and my dentist doesn't know whats wrong!)UGH!!!:grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

I soooo feel for you. I had something like that right before the San Francisco trip. I ended up in the ER and had a root canal the next morning. Hang in there!

Oh and my director send out a message saying.... "you really don't want to miss this call!"

Oh No Shana!! Did you still go to San Fran? Man, I wouldn't have missed it for the world!! I love showing those pictures off!!!

(It's 2 am my time and it's just pulsating, UGH!!!):grumpy:

Thank you for the call reminder - I got sidetracked when I went to post a reminder note on my bulleting board th eother day!

Yes I went, but the root canal was on Friday morning, the trip started on Thursday. I made my Dh drive me anyway, luckily we are only about 90 minutes away. I spend most of the time in my room on the heating pad.

I hope you can get that taken care of soon!

I am traveling and did get on the call and heard the incentive but then went in and out of service areas (Ohio is not well served by Verizon) so I missed 80% of the call. Guess I'll listen to the tape on CC when I get back home.

It was a really good call, worth listening too!

notesFor those of you that didn't make the call (like myself) I got these notes from a director's loop that I am on. Thought I'd share.

Nell's-a-Cookin' said:
For those of you that didn't make the call (like myself) I got these notes from a director's loop that I am on. Thought I'd share.

Man, you write fast!! I was desperately trying to write down EVERYTHING they were saying that I want to repeat~~:)

pampmomof3 said:
Man, you write fast!! I was desperately trying to write down EVERYTHING they were saying that I want to repeat~~:)

I can't take credit - I wasn't even on the call - it was shared elsewhere and I am passing it to you guys!

Glad it's helpful!

Nell's-a-Cookin' said:
I can't take credit - I wasn't even on the call - it was shared elsewhere and I am passing it to you guys!

Glad it's helpful!

That's funny! Well thank you for sharing it!!!:D

So, with the holidays coming up, what are some of your family's traditions? Halloween? Thanksgiving? Christmas?

--Jenny L

Attachments

• Finley TEAM SurveyMonkey.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 220
    41.5 KB · Views: 212
    41.5 KB · Views: 202
The past four years I have had a Pumpkin Party. I planted some in the garden and thought it was a good opportunity to get friends together. It is both family and friends, adults and children. The pumpkins that are decorated seem to be way more creative than the ones that are carved! The imagination seems to run wild.

I give prizes (or gifts) if they do a pumpkin. Pick things up last year at 50 - 75% off after Halloween to become this year's gifts.

--Jenny L

For Christmas we use Christmas eve as our big day...we go to my sisters house and open all of our gifts then we go to church for a late service. I like it that way...Christmas day we go to my Aunt's house...

I think that I have more Christmas Shopping traditions than anything....The day after Thanksgiving my mom and I got shopping and then I always go to NYC shopping with my Best Friend and her mom.

chefheidi2003 said:
The day after Thanksgiving my mom and I got shopping and then I always go to NYC shopping with my Best Friend and her mom.

What a cool tradition. How long have you been doing that?

--Jenny L

well since I am home from the Air Force I have been going with my mom so this will be our 6th year...I can't wait...even if I would have to work we would go before work...I actually take all of the sales ads on Thanksgiving and plan our shopping trip.

We always get to open one gift on Christmas eve.

Thanksgiving... We would start the turkey and other food early in the morning, and then play board games the whole day. Whatever games we wanted to play. My Mom would sit and play with us till dinnertime.

On Halloween...we always have homemade pizza before Trick or Treating.

As far as Turkey Day.....we always have root beer to drink. My Great Grandfather made homemade and even though our's is canned, it is still a tradition.

Christmas-one gift opening on Christmas Eve...always pajamas for everyone. We have appetizers for dinner that evening as well as homemade potato sausage that we make every year. As much as I dislike it...we have to eat some pickled herring too.
As far as gifts...Santa delivers three gifts....just like the three gifts Baby Jesus was given.

We don't have Halloween traditions. My kids have all out-grown the Trick-Or-Treat stuff. We do have a scavenger hunt and cook out for the kids at church.

Thanksgiving lunch is always served at my Mom's house...always turkey and ham, and my sister's wonderful sweet potato recipe. The men are all out hunting until then. 3 years ago my sister and I started going into Fort Smith to K-Mart after the men leave. My mom keeps the kids and we go shopping. (My mom always keeps all of the granddaughters from then until Saturday evening and they put up her Christmas tree and do girl stuff. My daughter is 14, my sister has 2 (6 and 4) and my brother has 1 who is 3.) After lunch the men go hunting more and then at dark we gather at my husband's sister's house for dinner. Dinner usually consists of regular food...everyone is tired of turkey by then. Since the boys are all hunting and my daughter is at "Nan's" then I go shopping the day after and enjoy a day to myself.

Christmas eve is spent at Mom's house. We exchange gifts and have "finger foods". My sister and brother spend Christmas day with their inlaws. Christmas morning my family opens gifts and has hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls for breakfast. We have special dishes for that morning. Then we have lunch at my Moms and for dinner my husband's entire extended family gets together for food and "dirty santa"...some people call it Chinese exchange, some call it white elephant exchange. You never know what you are going home with.

Halloween nothing special- take the kids to moms, grams, then our old neighborhood to say hi to everyone.

T-day, the whole family goes to grams for the afternoon, then the kids rally up a volleyball game. Stay through evening and have left overs for dinner.

Christmas- Eve we always do at his Sisters house= dinner with them and my parents are invited too. Morning we get the kids up at the crack of dawn, open santa's gifts then head off to the parents for a HUGE breakfast, open gifts and hang out with my siblings for a bit then off to grams to eat a late lunch and exchange gifts with the rest of the family and hang out for the rest of the day there. Usually we end up playing board games with everyone. Through evening then go home BEAT from such a long day!

We always spend Christmas Eve with my parents. We have appetizers and a couple kinds of soup. I always make Oyster Stew for my dad. We then open all gifts. I have never been a patient one with it comes to gifts. We do put out gifts from Santa at night for the kids the next morning!

After Christmas dinner, (whichever day we end up getting together) we clear off the table, bring out the jar of pennies, and play hearts until we can't see any more. We all start with $1.00 in pennies. Pretty high stakes! It's the older generation who plays, the kids have to go do something else.

Last year a number of the teenager/early 20's were able to get a spot at the table. It was like passing the baton on to the next generation. Pretty cool.

--Jenny L

I love the penny hearts game idea! I would do that. Our family used to play dominoes, but our family has sort of fallen apart since we all got married.

I want to start a Wii tradition, but can't afford it right now

Admin Greg said:

My mom won a Wii on a radio call in thing. Ya- it is becoming a tradition!

friday said:
I love the penny hearts game idea! I would do that. Our family used to play dominoes, but our family has sort of fallen apart since we all got married.

I played dominoes at a cousins house. I didn't know them very well, was in the area, and spending the night. What a fun game! Games are such a great way to break the ice. It gives you something to focus on while getting caught up on peoples lives.

--Jenny L

For Halloween, we take the kids to our town's vendor night. We have a square in the middle of town & all of the shops on the square are open for trick-or-treating. We also have a parade on Saturday that is 1 1/2 hours long! That's a long time for a town of 5,000!

With Thanksgiving, we usually go to the IL's house for lunch then do something with my family for supper. My family usually does non-traditional stuff like lasagna or homemade pizza or something.

Christmas Eve is always spent with the IL's. We have supper, then go to a candlelight service at their church. After that, we go to their house & open gifts. WAY to many gifts.

Christmas Day is spent with my extended family. We get together at noon & have lunch then open gifts. We have a Rob Your Neighbor exchange. It's a ton of fun!

Admin Greg said:

I am 99% sure that the jolly dude in red is bringing a Wii to our house this year...

jlevernier said:
After Christmas dinner, (whichever day we end up getting together) we clear off the table, bring out the jar of pennies, and play hearts until we can't see any more. We all start with $1.00 in pennies. Pretty high stakes! It's the older generation who plays, the kids have to go do something else.

Last year a number of the teenager/early 20's were able to get a spot at the table. It was like passing the baton on to the next generation. Pretty cool.

--Jenny L

friday said:

My family too has sorta stopped the traditions that I remember growing up... we still get together but not like we used to and now that I have children I want them to grow up the same way... the tough part is my children are the only ones so far and I think it would be a bit more exciting for them if they had other children coming over too :)

We used to get together with all my aunts and uncles and cousins. Now that we all are married and have kids we don't spend it together all the time. It bothers me but I won't let it ruin the holiday. Christmas Eve is usually our big night! We are an Italian family so we have the stuffed calamari and lasagna, etc...
One of my favorite traditions is having fried dough for breakfast on Christmas morning. My mom puts raisins in hers and they are AWESOME!!!!

Since my sister and brother and I have kids now my parents have a pumpkin carving party. They have one of those outdoor fireplaces so we carve pumpkins and eat the roasted seeds then when it gets dark we light the fire and toast marshmallows. I really love the family that I have and wouldn't ever want anything different.

I just hosted my annual Pumpkin Party this afternoon for family and friends. I've been doing this about 5 or 6 years, no biggie. Two of the women said they were glad I started this tradition, their kids look forward to it every year! I didn't realize I had started a tradition! What a compliment!

--Jenny L

Our Thanksgiving used to be driving two hours to the "farm" - the town mom grew up in. We have a big family reunion/dinner every Thanksgiving. Since my brothers and I got married, our branch of the family has unfortunately stopped going... now it's dinner with his parents at about 1 and dinner with mine about 5 or 6 - that's a LOT of food to eat in one day, especially when the second dinner is cooked by a professional chef.Christmas Eve is always with my extended family - it's also Grandpa's birthday so we have dinner and presents. Then Christmas morning is just the three of us and then off to at least one if not both families for dinner and presents. If it's not our Christmas with my stepdaughter though - we have both dinners again later (smaller meals) so she can participate.

We celebrate Halloween a little different than most with a sacred supper that honors our ancestors. We eat seasonal foods, talk to the kids about the way our ancestors would have viewed this time of year and prepared for the coming wintertide in order to survive. We also honor the memories of anyone we personally know who has passed on from this mortal plane. Sounds somber but it's not... just very sacred and spiritual and ultimately a celebration of life. We also take the kids out for more traditional trick or treating on a different night so they have fun dressing up and enjoying that as well.

I'm blessed to have my mom who makes a GREAT Thanksgiving dinner so we go over there every year.

We celebrate the winter holiday a little differently as well. We celebrate a secular Christmas with extended family, getting together over at my parents' house. And Santa does make a visit with gifts for the kids. Each year on Christmas Eve my mom gives each grandchild and great-grand a pair of jammies she's made... our kids know that Santa won't come unless they wear the jammies and go to sleep! LOL... also each year we give our kids an ornament, so that when they're on their own and have their first tree, they'll have their own special ornaments that hold memories and love for them to decorate with. A couple days before that though we celebrate the winter solstice with a 'lights out' dinner. Again, we discuss what this time of year would have meant to our ancestors and how important the returning sun was for their survival as well as their spirits and we tie it in to why it's still important today. We eat by candlelight and only use candles that evening... no TV, no computer. I do 'cheat' and use electric for cooking but all by candlelight. We talk about the returning sun and help the kids understand that even though the weather will get colder, the days will become longer and that this transition was an important one. We like to make the stories of the past relevant to them today so they don't forget where we [humans] have come from.. which is easy to do immersed in technology and separated from nature as we can tend to get. We also welcome in our evergreen tree as a spirit of nature and a symbol of life during a season of death (since by then all the other trees will have lost their leaves and appear to be 'dead') into our home usually a week or so before the solstice... we sing, decorate and drink eggnog. It really helps spread the fun and joy through and across several days/weeks. I always felt rushed and like "it's over already?" when I was a kid so I like it a lot this way.

jlevernier said:
I just hosted my annual Pumpkin Party this afternoon for family and friends. I've been doing this about 5 or 6 years, no biggie. Two of the women said they were glad I started this tradition, their kids look forward to it every year! I didn't realize I had started a tradition! What a compliment!

--Jenny L

I would LOVE to have an annual Pumpkin party! Unfortunately we move every few years! I do always have a cookie decorating party during Christmas though...no matter where we are!

erinyourpclady said:
I would LOVE to have an annual Pumpkin party! Unfortunately we move every few years! I do always have a cookie decorating party during Christmas though...no matter where we are!

It really is a treat. There is very little carving since some of the kiddies come unsupervised. That frees the imagination up to create. If I can figure out how to get photos off my camera and size them, I will post a few.

Erin, can you invite a few of your new neighbors/friends over every year whoever they might be? Your family will know the ropes to show everybody and you could have photos around of creations from past years. What helps mine is this one gal who shows no fear in using misc. supplies.

Hmmm, . . . we had rosemary for hair, little purfume funnels for eyes, shriveled peppers as tongues, broken strings of plastic beads for mouths, blender beaters for arms. Whatever people brought. Looks like garage sales, rummage sales and surplus stores were hit for inspiration.

--Jenny L

lkprescott said:
We celebrate Halloween a little different than most with a sacred supper that honors our ancestors. We eat seasonal foods, talk to the kids about the way our ancestors would have viewed this time of year and prepared for the coming wintertide in order to survive. We also honor the memories of anyone we personally know who has passed on from this mortal plane. Sounds somber but it's not... just very sacred and spiritual and ultimately a celebration of life. We also take the kids out for more traditional trick or treating on a different night so they have fun dressing up and enjoying that as well.

I'm blessed to have my mom who makes a GREAT Thanksgiving dinner so we go over there every year.

We celebrate the winter holiday a little differently as well. We celebrate a secular Christmas with extended family, getting together over at my parents' house. And Santa does make a visit with gifts for the kids. Each year on Christmas Eve my mom gives each grandchild and great-grand a pair of jammies she's made... our kids know that Santa won't come unless they wear the jammies and go to sleep! LOL... also each year we give our kids an ornament, so that when they're on their own and have their first tree, they'll have their own special ornaments that hold memories and love for them to decorate with. A couple days before that though we celebrate the winter solstice with a 'lights out' dinner. Again, we discuss what this time of year would have meant to our ancestors and how important the returning sun was for their survival as well as their spirits and we tie it in to why it's still important today. We eat by candlelight and only use candles that evening... no TV, no computer. I do 'cheat' and use electric for cooking but all by candlelight. We talk about the returning sun and help the kids understand that even though the weather will get colder, the days will become longer and that this transition was an important one. We like to make the stories of the past relevant to them today so they don't forget where we [humans] have come from.. which is easy to do immersed in technology and separated from nature as we can tend to get. We also welcome in our evergreen tree as a spirit of nature and a symbol of life during a season of death (since by then all the other trees will have lost their leaves and appear to be 'dead') into our home usually a week or so before the solstice... we sing, decorate and drink eggnog. It really helps spread the fun and joy through and across several days/weeks. I always felt rushed and like "it's over already?" when I was a kid so I like it a lot this way.

This sounds like terrific tradition to set up for your family! Something we all should be a little more aware of.

--Jenny L

jlevernier said:
It really is a treat. There is very little carving since some of the kiddies come unsupervised. That frees the imagination up to create. If I can figure out how to get photos off my camera and size them, I will post a few.

Erin, can you invite a few of your new neighbors/friends over every year whoever they might be? Your family will know the ropes to show everybody and you could have photos around of creations from past years. What helps mine is this one gal who shows no fear in using misc. supplies.

Hmmm, . . . we had rosemary for hair, little purfume funnels for eyes, shriveled peppers as tongues, broken strings of plastic beads for mouths, blender beaters for arms. Whatever people brought. Looks like garage sales, rummage sales and surplus stores were hit for inspiration.

--Jenny L

I have decided that we will have one next year and every one after!!
Even though we move a lot, we still wind up living near friends at least for a little while (there are only so many places a Marine can go after all!)

Thanksgiving for us is spend one year I cook and have my family over we will play cards or board games before and after dinner. The next year we are at my IL's it's nice but I am more relaxed at my house. My IL's house is just not that big and most of the day is spent at the table talking and not much else.

Christmas is great on Christmas Eve we got to my DH aunts house for the Italian "Feast of the Seven Fishes" it's great I love most of the dishes and we open presents with my IL's. Earlier in the day my son gets to open one present from us and one from my mom.

Christmas Day is the best, we stay home and don't get ouf of our PJ's all day. We have great appitizers and an easy dinner and spend the day with my family that come and go. We will play with my son and his toys and just be together. My dh and I take the week off of work too and just do fun things with friends and enjoy the time off together.

Thanksgiving - is usually spent with my side of the family - and because I have kids with cat allergies (and the rest of my family has cats) - we've started doing Thanksgiving at my small home but I'm okay with that - my husband works in retail and it's his only day off until Christmas Day and it's nice to not have to leave the house.

Now Christmas is another story - my in-laws will not budge on Christmas Day altogether -doesn't matter to them that I never get to have Christmas Day with my side of the family so we've lately begun doing Christmas Eve by ourselves - the kids get to open up their new Christmas pj's - we take pictures in front of the tree and I absolutely love It's A Wonderful Life - so I try and watch that like I did when I was a kid and it was on once a year on PBS with no commercials at 10 pm! Christmas Day is a whole nother story - we've begun inviting my parents over for breakfast as my sister has no leeway with her inlaws for the day and my brother just got married this year and is finding out how the whole holiday thing goes.

Then we trek over to my inlaws house (usually my husband's sister or brother's house) and usually at least 40 minutes to an hour away. The party usually begins around 1 pm and doesn't end (I kid you not) til around 10 pm - my husband is usually so tired from having worked every day leading up to it - and of course we're wiped out as well - the kids always have fun with their cousins - there's always tons of food - we all bring 2 appetizers, 1 dessert and drinks and you leave feeling like you need a vacation! We so want to someday have one Christmas Day at home like I did growing up - I never went anywhere for the day - we ate Turkey Dinner and spent the day playing with our toys and it was fun! Oh well - I guess I can't get everything I want:) Once my husband retires (won't be for a while - he's only 46) - we are going to take a trip at Christmas just because he won't be in retail then!

bumping to bring to the front

The only traditions we have going so far are at Christmas each year we get a new ornament for the tree, we have been getting them with the year on them so we know when we got them. Then there is one gift opened on Christmas eve.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • Intrepid_Chef