• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Facebook Events vs. Groups: Pros and Cons for Hosting Your Next Event

In summary, the host prefers group activity over events because it shows up better on party-goers' pages, people can manage their notifications, and people can easily add others to the group. Unless someone is in the group they won't see the posts.
raebates
Staff member
I set up most of my shows with a Facebook Event. Recently someone invited me to an online Jamberry party, but they set that up as a group.I asked the host/consultant why she chose a group over an event. These were her reasons:
  • Group activity seems to show up better on party-goers’ pages.
  • She has had people misunderstand and show up at her house for online-only events.
  • People can manage their notifications and even leave the group on their own.
  • People can easily add others to the group.
  • Unless someone is in the group they won’t see the posts.
I must admit that I like the idea that everyone invited sees everything unless they choose to leave the group. That's much better for us than getting one notification of an invitation and nothing else unless they choose Going or Maybe.So, what do you think? Are groups better than events?

You can't argue with positive statistics, but in general, events are one time and groups are for long term engagement. What happens when people are in your group who you don't want at the party? One time events lets you customize for that exact audience.

True, Admin Greg. Though, what she's doing is an individual group for each show, which she then closes at the end of the show.

Interesting... I wonder if anyone here does this?

Evidently not, Deb. LOL!

I am re-signing after a few years leave and wondering the same thing. I created and admin for over 70 (Ohio genealogy) groups and a few pages. I don't have much experience on events. I think groups would be great for parties. I think you have more control over whole thing. You also get more interaction over events, people can easily bring up questions that were asked before and others will see it with the new comments, they can easily add friends if they want, and leave It an open group and even outside friends may see the posts (like when Facebook says "Tina posted in Susie's savory party") and can share things you post.

I've used groups and events BOTH. Not for PC, but for doTERRA Essential Oils (I'm a Wellness Advocate)... anyways....
I like some things about events, but overall, groups work better.
When hosting an event (we teach, so it's actually a class), it becomes hard to keep things organized on an event page. I like to leave the group open even after closing the event. People are then able to go back and review information at a later date.
It's also important to be able to regulate who's seeing our posts. We are being watched closely by the FDA and we like to monitor what we say publicly (as in not saying Frankincense oil cures cancer~ which it 'does' / could... but we really can't say that publicly because it's not FDA approved like those harmful chemical drugs are.
Hope this helps a bit. Please ask any specific questions you have and I'll try to answer them for you.

I'm getting ready to set up my first group for a show. I've been watching other direct sales companies that do groups for shows, and they have more interaction and feedback in groups vs event pages. My host already set up an event for the show. I'll include the link to the group on the event page with a teaser that they'll get 5 tickets for the door prize drawing at the show if they join the group. Fingers crossed this gets me more interaction than with the event page. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks for the replies. I've set up my first group for a fb show. I'll let you know how it goes.

Posting so I'm up-to-date with this information. I'm intrigued!

I tried groups a few times, not much of a difference in participation or sales. :( Also, I did hear a lot of people online in the FB groups talking about this and thought I heard people saying that groups aren't recommended anymore due to FB rules. But I need to go back and find those threads and see why not. I know some people get mad when they get added to a group that they weren't interested in and so some people get turned off. It's like you need a host to post a link to the group and have people join it voluntarily...but people are bad at doing things like that. Not sure if people would take the initiative to add themselves to a group. But events didn't go over too well for me either. I haven't done one in a while because I found them very frustrating.

It is suggested that the host send a message to each person she invites letting each know that she's adding them and why and reminding them they can leave the group if they like. So far the participation in my groups has been much better than for events. The biggest downside is that to close the group you need to remove each person individually and then remove yourself. For now, that's workable for me.

I am a new consultant and I am hosting my first FB party. Any suggestions? Did you have an outline of what to post?

Cici- i'd create a new thread for this question. Also do a search to see if there's any info in past threads on this.

I set up a mystery host event on fb and also a virtual party on my pampered chef site. My question is how do I avoid confusion so everything direct ships to whomever orders? also, when I set up the even on PC I listed myself as the host, but can I change it to whomever wins the mystery host so what they choose can be direct shipped to them?

For the direct ship, tell them over and over. Plus, you'll be able to make that choice before you submit it.However, once you've set the show up you can't change the host. You can have the host items sent to the winner, though.

Group definitely. It is a place to maintain longer and people can chat, closer

I use events. The host invites the people she has spoken to who want to be a part of the show. I have great response (most times). Who ever came up with idea of word of the show is brilliant!! It allows the post to always be on top once someone comments with the word of the show.

What is the difference between a Facebook Event and a Facebook Group?

A Facebook Event is a one-time occurrence that typically has a specific date, time, and location. It is used to invite people to attend a specific event, such as a party or concert. A Facebook Group, on the other hand, is a community where people with similar interests or affiliations can come together to share information and communicate regularly.

Can I create an Event and a Group for the same purpose?

Yes, you can create both an Event and a Group for the same purpose. For example, if you are organizing a charity fundraiser, you can create an Event to promote the actual event and a Group to keep all the participants informed and updated on progress and logistics.

Who can see and join my Facebook Event or Group?

This depends on your privacy settings. For a Facebook Event, you can choose to make it public, private, or visible to only invited guests. A public Event can be seen and joined by anyone on Facebook. For a Facebook Group, you can choose to make it public, closed, or secret. A public Group can be seen and joined by anyone, while a closed Group requires approval from an admin to join, and a secret Group can only be joined by invitation.

Can I schedule posts or send invitations in advance for my Facebook Event or Group?

Yes, you can schedule posts and send invitations in advance for both a Facebook Event and a Group. This can be helpful for keeping your attendees or members informed and engaged leading up to the event or group launch.

How do I delete a Facebook Event or Group?

To delete a Facebook Event, go to the event page, click on the three dots in the top right corner, and select "Delete Event" from the dropdown menu. To delete a Facebook Group, go to the group page, click on the three dots in the top right corner, and select "Delete Group" from the dropdown menu. Keep in mind that deleting a group is permanent and cannot be undone.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Toni Monsen
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
raebates
  • mspibb
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
  • Kjurich