• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Extra Donations to Hwc/Acs (Dave, Look Here!)

In summary, RMDave was frustrated about not being able to accept credit card donations at his shows and was directed to the FAQ where it mentioned extra fundraising. The FAQ mentioned being able to accept credit card donations through the American Cancer Society (ACS) Team ACS website, where consultants can personalize their own page and accept donations. However, there is a $25 donation required to set up the website, which some find unfair. Some have reached out to The Pampered Chef® to ask for clarification on the donation requirement and to see if there is an option to opt out. It is also mentioned that an email was sent to HO regarding this issue.
NooraK
Gold Member
I was chatting with RMDave in the ChatBox last night about his frustration over not being able to accept donations at his shows via credit card.

John posted instructions to pull up the FAQ, and it mentions extra fundraising. There's this about credit cards:

Can I accept credit card donations for HWC in May? How?
Yes. The Pampered Chef® is on the American Cancer Society® Team ACS Web site. Once you have signed up online at http://http://teamacs.acsevents.org/site/TR/TeamACS/TACSFY10National?fr_id=27760&pg=entry, you can personalize your own page, send e-mails to your contacts and accept credit card donations.

I'd set one up last year, but didn't promote it, so I had forgotten about this, so I'm sure I'm not the only one.

And since you register with your consultant number, these should count toward your donation goals too:

How will the American Cancer Society® know that I am a Consultant with The Pampered Chef®?
We will know you are part of our team once you have entered your Consultant ID in the sign up form.

And just in case you were wondering:

If I sign up to be part of Team ACS and the 2010 Pampered Chef® Help Whip Cancer® team, what am I committing to?
By signing up you are indicating that you plan to raise funds and/or help to bring awareness of breast cancer to your contacts. There is no registration fee or fundraising minimum.

Last edited:
Ugh... apparently the link above doesn't work, but this one does:

The American Cancer Society:

Noora, thanks so much. I tried to sign up .. here is as far as I got. Should I say I'm unimpressed and disappointed?

Attachments

• unimpressed.jpg
    unimpressed.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 590
Well, that depends on whether you want to donate yourself or not.

In re-reading the FAQ, that last one I posted appears to refer to just joining the team. To set up the website, they apparently ask for a $25 donation from you. It is a donation though, not a registration fee. I remember paying it last year, and I don't have anything against donating $25 to the cause.

Or you could email here:

For Additional Inquires:
Please forward additional inquiries to The Pampered Chef® Charitable Giving e-mail inbox
[email protected].

And ask why the FAQ says there's no minimum fundraising or registration fee, but the website doesn't allow you to opt out.

I'd written them already, Noora. Money is tight for me right now, otherwise I wouldn't be complaining.But it once again appears that the left hand hasn't the foggiest idea what the right hand is doing.Hugs

RMDave said:
I'd written them already, Noora.

Money is tight for me right now, otherwise I wouldn't be complaining.

But it once again appears that the left hand hasn't the foggiest idea what the right hand is doing.

Hugs

I also think this is weird because all the other ACS fundraising sites have the donation as optional. Until I read this, I didn't realize this one wasn't. I will check on the ACS side also if there is something they can do to make this optional. Will update you guys on Monday....home today with allergy issues!:(

Thanks, Kisha ... MUCH appreciated.

RMDave said:
I'd written them already, Noora.

Money is tight for me right now, otherwise I wouldn't be complaining.

But it once again appears that the left hand hasn't the foggiest idea what the right hand is doing.

Hugs

I know the feeling. Charity is important, but not more important than the roof over your own head, and food for yourself and family. It's what's holding me back right now too.

I did send an email to HO. So far, I've only received the auto-reply. I'll be sure to let you know what I get back from them.

tys1031 said:
I also think this is weird because all the other ACS fundraising sites have the donation as optional. Until I read this, I didn't realize this one wasn't. I will check on the ACS side also if there is something they can do to make this optional. Will update you guys on Monday....home today with allergy issues!:(

Kisha - It's so great to know we have an insider in our midst :) And I can understand the allergies. I luckily do not suffer from them, but I can only imagine how bad it is for someone who does, just looking at the lovely greenish-yellowish coat on my car each day.

NooraK said:
I did send an email to HO. So far, I've only received the auto-reply. I'll be sure to let you know what I get back from them.

I sent one also, Noora, perhaps they'll answer us both. Perhaps they'll just ignore it .. who knows. :)

I tried this last year as well and I could not do $25 either. Personally, I think it is black-mail in a way. So what I do is this, when someone wants to make a cash donation via credit card, I do a switch-a-roo that never compromises the donation or my fund raising efforts. I simply switch a credit card donation amount into an order and then I take out the cash and send it in the form for cash donations. For example, Mary wants $30 in products and writes a check. Jeri wants to make a credit card donation of $15. So I put Jeri on Mary's order as paying $15 of Mary's order. Then I set aside the $15 to go in with the sheet of paper on CC for the cash donations. I just need to remember that I need Jeri's zip code for the billing address zip code.

Last edited:
pampered1224 said:
I tried this last year as well and I could not do $25 either. Personally, I think it is black-mail in a way. So what I do is this, when someone wants to make a cash donation via credit card, I do a switch-s-roo that never compromises the donation or my fund raising efforts. I simply switch a credit card donation amount into an order and then I take out the cash and send it in the form for cash donations. For example, Mary wants $30 in products and writes a check. Jeri wants to make a credit card donation of $15. So I put Jeri on Mary's order as paying $15 of Mary's order. Then I set aside the $15 to go in with the sheet of paper on CC for the cash donations. I just need to remember that I need Jeri's zip code for the billing address zip code.

So if I understand right, P3 will allow you to charge the customer's card more than the balance of their order, and PC will give you that back on your commision statement? Or you mark P3 as Mary having paid $15 in cash and $15 in credit card (Jeri's)?

John, PC goes to all the trouble of promoting HWC, bragging about the fundraiser, purchasing and providing aprons and pins and logowear, etc. etc. etc. and they can't figure out how to accept additional donations?They talk the talk but that's easy. Nobody at the Solution-Center has an idea about it. The operator suggested that I email one of the supervisors. Here is the exact conversation:Me: Can I have the Supervisor's email address?Operator Renee Stewart: Yes, I'll spell it. D E B R A underscore D hyphen A L E ...Me: Hold on, the email address has both an underscore and a hyphen in it?Renee: Yes. It has that line at the bottom between the two letters and then a D and that mark that looks like an exclamation point without the dot on the bottom. Sorta like a high up comma.Me: An apostrophe?Renee: That's it.Needless to say the email address never worked so I called the Solution Center back and asked for the supervisor by name. Operator: Oh supervisors aren't at their desks. She'll call you back.Two days, no call back.HWC is obviously very important to HO. Just not that important. I'm disappointed and I just don't get it.

Last edited:
First, Noorak the last is the right one. Under the payment section it looks like Mary paid $15 cash or check then Jeri paid $15 on her card. This then shows the total $30, not $45, for the order. Then I put the $15 aside and sent it in with the letter on the HWC "Materials that make it easy" pink box then look for the Cash Contribution form. Now Dave - no snide remarks about that title! It does take a little finagling on our part too to make it work for our individual needs. We were smarter than the average bears and figured all that out ourselves. It was just easier than involving HO. They would have waited forever to make something work and we didn't have time to wait. We have always asked that they re-designate the Round-Up. But it was explained that with the accounting and ordering system they have, it is not a simple change to make for one month. So... Next best thing, we all simply tell everyone the round up is for HWC then do not submit it with the party but rather redirect that round-up if we so choose, put it in our bank accounts then send it in with the Cash Donation Form. That simple. As far as the Credit Card thing goes, it was a customer that suggested that to me several years ago and I have been doing it ever since. Oh and I always tell my credit card donors that the charge will appear as The Pampered Chef not the American Cancer Society so I get credit for the donation. No surprises for them then. My business, my rules. As long as I do not screw my customer's finances up or keep the money, all is good.

Last edited:
This is very interesting to me because EVERY other program ACS uses to raise funds allows you to opt-out of the "recommended donation," so I was very surprised when I used the link and saw that this one doesn't. I can't wait to go to work Monday so I can ask about this. I am mostly curious to see who's rules these are or who decided to set this up this way, ACS or PC? If it's ACS, it's bad because it looks like we require people to pay to collect donations for us and that is aweful to me.

Kisha - did you find out anything? It rained today, so that should help the allergies ;)

I find it interesting (and not unexpected) that HO never responded to my query.

I have found that with non-normal business questions or inquiries, they tend to take longer in responding. So it may still be coming but may be longer than 3 or 4 days. I have not gotten any word back about the aprons either.

NooraK said:
Kisha - did you find out anything? It rained today, so that should help the allergies ;)

Sorry, yes, I did. They said that it is a user setting that can be changed by PC. When a user sets up a corporate page, they have the option to customize as long as within certain parameters. The donation amount is not required by ACS. Which is what I thought based on our other fundraising sites.
I have been having a really rough few days with the allergies, so I haven't logged in here until today!

Thank you Kisha. That is NOT what I was hoping to hear. There has to be an explanation so I will check to see. Maybe it is not as simple as just signing up. I will let you know.

Last edited:
Finally received a response from Corporate Giving:Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We addressed this issue
with our partners at the American Cancer Society and they notified us
today that this component has been remedied.Thank you for your efforts to Help Whip Cancer!
The Corporate Affairs Team
I have registered and it no long insists that you make a $25 donation. Yay for the guys wearing the white hats.

Last edited:
RMDave said:
Finally received a response from Corporate Giving:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We addressed this issue
today that this component has been remedied.

Thank you for your efforts to Help Whip Cancer!

I haven't check but will be doing that later on today.

Thanks for staying on them, and getting that resolved, Dave!

RMDave said:
Finally received a response from Corporate Giving:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We addressed this issue
today that this component has been remedied.

Thank you for your efforts to Help Whip Cancer!

I have registered and it no long insists that you make a $25 donation. Yay for the guys wearing the white hats.

This is funny because I got an e-mail at work saying they addressed it with the Pampered Chef! LOL! :rolleyes: Either way, I am glad it has been changed!!! :thumbup:

tys1031 said:
This is funny because I got an e-mail at work saying they addressed it with the Pampered Chef! LOL! :rolleyes: Either way, I am glad it has been changed!!! :thumbup:

Ditto! Thanks for your research and prodding from the other side.

Thank you dave!!!!

pampered1224 said:
Thank you dave!!!!

Some things are worth fighting for. Glad it worked out for us.

Fabulous! I'll have to head over to set up my site right away.

Darn straight! I got mine set up right after you posted. Thank you Kisha too for following up! I wonder if I too will get a response to my e-mail. And Dave, I think you just found what you were looking for for an advertisement in your other thread!
"Somethings are worth fighting for." That says it all.

I also finally got a response from HO :)

1. How do I make an extra donation to Hwc/Acs?

To make an extra donation to Hwc/Acs, simply visit the Pampered Chef website and click on the "Donate Now" button on the homepage. You can choose the amount you wish to donate and complete the donation process through our secure payment system.

2. Can I make an extra donation in honor of someone?

Yes, you can make an extra donation in honor of someone by selecting the option to "Donate in honor of someone" on the donation form. You can also choose to send an e-card to the honoree to let them know of your donation.

3. What is Hwc/Acs and what do they do?

Hwc/Acs stands for "Help Whip Cancer/American Cancer Society" and it is a non-profit organization that works towards raising awareness and funds for cancer research, education, and patient support. Pampered Chef partners with Hwc/Acs every year to support their cause.

4. Can I get a tax receipt for my extra donation?

Yes, you can get a tax receipt for your extra donation to Hwc/Acs. When you make a donation through the Pampered Chef website, you will have the option to receive a tax receipt via email. If you do not receive one, please contact us and we will assist you.

5. Can I track how much Pampered Chef has donated to Hwc/Acs?

Yes, you can track how much Pampered Chef has donated to Hwc/Acs by visiting our website and clicking on the "Impact" tab. There, you will find information on our donations and the impact it has made on the fight against cancer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
krismaur
  • tys1031
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • NooraK