• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Express vs Full Shows: Which is More Effective for Hosts and Guests?

A
Andrea1627
I am contemplating doing the express shows where you bring the food already prepared and then demo'ing some of the products with some fruits & veggies I bring along. My only concern is I think it would be a let down for some people who are used to seeing the whole show....

Have you done both and then turned to the express shows? If so, how has it been received by your hosts?

Andrea

It has not been a let down for the 2 1/2 yrs I have been only doing express shows--as I tell them if a host and guests are going to take time out of their busy schedules--I want most of the time to be mingling for them and eating and ordering--not feeling rushed--because after watching a demo for two hours most just want to leave

Just my experience--
Have only had one lady say she liked a demo instead----but guess what she wanted info on the business that day AND joined the next month!!

I said u can do ur shows however u want---she has decided to bring one prepared and one to show:D

Do you still demo some of the products there with a veggie or fruit even though you bring in food?

No --I really don't have to demo--I bring all the NEW products which I get to show and they get to touch etc--as all at a show agree the catalog does sell itself--and they do enjoy getting lots of tips---I've had people tell me after hearing other uses for some of their products they already own --that they are underutilizing them---

that is just what I do---because I can!!!:D

I'm also very seriously considering doing only Express shows. I totally agree with Susan's philosophy on it. I also believe that my lack of doing regular shows makes my shows straggly and not so strong. Because if I'm not cooking the same recipe everytime, and doing something completely different each show, then I'm not strengthening my "routine".. I feel like I'm just struggling through it all every single time. I haven't made my business full-time yet. I'd love to though, and have been thinking about how it would be possible to go full-time with my business (believe me, we could use the extra money and I could use the "ME" time!), as we're TTC again, my husband is taking over more of the church pastorship, my side of the family is having a lot hardship, and I'm having health problems.. which has increased my contemplating going to just express style shows for good. It would build my confidence, as I often felt like I was struggling with my demos and it was hurting my business (sales & bookings). Plus, I'd be able to "squeeze" my shows into the cracks between things, and still not feel overwhelmed with being at them for 5 or 6 hours (including travel time). Okay, so I just rambled on forever about the littlest thing.. but my mind is a million other places, so bear with me! lol.

This sounds like a very nice approach especially for shows with a lot of guests.

What recipes do you make and brign with you? It obviously doesn't matter what you can demo while you make it, so I'm curious what you have found to be easy/inexpensive/and travels well.

Curious :D

When you do an express show how long are you at the hosts house? Do you birng a lot of products with you? Do you talk about how you made the recipe that your cooked at home? I would like more info on the way your work your express shows. I do feel like my demo needs come more work.

I would like to try some express shows, but there are recipes that I think need to be used in my shows and really need to be shown. For example, the Profiterole Puffs are so easy, but a bit intimidating. You cannot imagine the looks on the faces of the guests when I tell them I am done making the dough and did it while we were all talking! However, I might try making the puffs ahead of time and then making the dough in front of the guests later. I have had a problem with down time between making the fillings and waiting for the puffs to cool enough.....hmmm.

Kate,

That is exactly what I did with the puffs. My family always loves them and the dough is so inexpensive I just make a batch up ahead of time. I then use the hosts ingredients and make up a batch to show how it was done. Those I take home with me. The guests love this and I had somone say "it's just like on TV when they have part of it already done and it didn't take much time. I always get volunteers to help with the filling of the puffs so they can get their hands on the tools as well. I haven't tried express shows yet but would like to give it a go next month. Doing the puffs this way can be a pretty fast show as well and still do a demo.

Michele - do you cook the puffs at home and bring them or do you make them as soon as you get to the host's house and then set up?

I go ahead and cook them at home. That way I can vent them and make sure they are completely cooled. I bring them in my chillzanne to showcase another product too:)

MicheleC said:
I go ahead and cook them at home. That way I can vent them and make sure they are completely cooled. I bring them in my chillzanne to showcase another product too:)

Do you bring them in a cold chillzane or just use it for transport? Do the puffs need to be cold or can you transport at room temperature?

MicheleC said:
Kate,

That is exactly what I did with the puffs. My family always loves them and the dough is so inexpensive I just make a batch up ahead of time. I then use the hosts ingredients and make up a batch to show how it was done. Those I take home with me. The guests love this and I had somone say "it's just like on TV when they have part of it already done and it didn't take much time. I always get volunteers to help with the filling of the puffs so they can get their hands on the tools as well. I haven't tried express shows yet but would like to give it a go next month. Doing the puffs this way can be a pretty fast show as well and still do a demo.

Do you take the dough home in a bowl or in the mini cupcake pan? cooked or not? lol. I'm loving this idea! Makes it more of a tv cooking show. :)

Hello
My express shows take 30-35 minutes of me talking--I bring say the profiterole puffs filled with french vanilla pudding on the chilled shillzane egg side of the rectangle server---I can make the nite before and freeze---along with that I brought the side by side sausage calzones--2 on the rectangle stone--make at home and cover with foil--take to show and bake as show starts---my loyal assistant (host ) gets it out and cuts---

summer months I have done the ice cream sandwich torte---freeze at home and bring in rectangle server to show--but put whipped cream on it there and freeze----also a 5 minute microwave to die for cheese dip with little nacho chips--NO OVEN!

for the torte I have an insultated type plastic bag I put it in if the drive may be far--have gone 25-30 minutes with torte in tow---I could maybe use our tote but....

I start by asking each guest their favorite product and I talk about the NEW products (pretty much all I bring and some basic tools)---cookware---hosting and doing what I do!!!

I learn lots of tips from guests that I can pass on!!

Just trained my 3rd recruit this month tonite and another on Monday!!

I have been doing my shows like this since I started Oct 2003 pretty much--I remember being a shows that it was 9 pm and still not eaten --moms were leaving etc---no one has ever left my show early--(before they kno it -its over!!!!LOL)

6 months after becoming a consultant and not always having the corect ingredients when I got there--I decided to provide them--but I always brought a dessert---something like the tuxedo brownies but just filled with choc-walmart brand icing

Sorry this is sooo long--but u asked!!!!:D

people love it---not all homes or kitchens are IDEAL for a cooking show

The puffs can be transported at room temperature. I like to do the chillzanne to showcase these products and point out how handy they are for brining items from place to place (if they were already filled I would definately use the chillzanne).

I just take them home in the mini-muffin pan. I cook them up at the hosts home (get to show off the clock/timer...one of my favorites) and I just bring a piece of foil to cover for the transport.

I haven't done any express shows per say, but I do almost all of my prep at home and I provide all the ingredients. I usually make some kind of cake in my exec family skillet (put in the oven as soon as I arrive) or brownies in my rectangle baker that way they have something to munch on while I'm talking if they want. I set up when I get there and I start my demo by showing the kitchen timer- which I set for 40 minutes. I wrap up my demo when it goes off - no matter what. (I have 2 year old twins I an very aware of how valuable time is :D ) I use an index card that I've prepared in advance for my recipe to make sure that I don't miss anything.
I remember sitting through 2 - 3 hour demos before I became a consultant and I don't want to take up that kind of time for people.

I love doing the express shows. I think my hosts like it too because I'm in and out of there house a lot faster. Expecially during the week when people have to get up for work the next day. They also like that they can get back home to put their kids to bed themselves. The way I bring to my hosts is I tell them I will have the food ready when the guests arrive. This way they can eat right away, so if any one has to leave early they can still taste the food. People love this.

I also talk for about 30 minutes. I hand out the folders once everyone is done eating. Then I have a question and answer session. Sometimes people will ask me questions for 15-20 minutes. I tell them right fromt he start that I will be very honest about any products they ask me about. If I don't like something about the product I tell them. I really earn everyones trust this way.

Then I set up a spot to take orders, and I talk to each person individually. It only takes a few minutes to pack up my crate since all my dishes are clean. And I go home. (with no dishes to do once I get home!!)

I really thing my hosts like it this way, so far no one has complained. Of course if someone asked for the regular demo I would do it but so far none have.

Tina so you don't demo any of the products, you just talk about them? I like the idea of doing a faster show and not having a ton of dishes to do when I get home. But I do think some people like to see the products work. Like the food chopper, microplane. Have you had people ask to see how the products work?

Yesterday I was trying to put myself in the shoes of those coming to a show, and thinking of what I would like in a show, now that I have an almost 2 year old. I know with the time I have right now, I'd be totally drawn to an express show over a normal demo show for the following reasons:

- I'm tired of cooking dinner, and frankly I don't want to watch someone cook it either! LOL
-Like mentioned above, I want to be able to come home and put my son to bed as well as spend valuable time with my husband when he's off work.
-I need "ME" time, and a couple hours is a lot easier to sneak in the evening than 3 or 4 (or more!:eek: )
-I could DEFINATELY invite some friends over for a couple hours, have everyone out of the house, and cleaned up, and the baby ready for bed by the time my husband comes home :D (not so with a 3 or 4 hour show)
-after seeing it's so easy and quick, i see that I COULD DO THAT! it opens the door to those that don't necessarily want to cook in front of people, but would love to join (and think that the cooking part is required as a consultant), which is GREAT for recruiting :D

Just some thoughts from the other side ;) I try to think of what my show guests/hosts would like in doing my shows... and what will draw them into hosting again (or joining!)

Wow! What a great idea! I have been topping off a dessert and doing one complet demo and I feel like that really eats up my time I want to spend talking about the products and passing around. I feel so rushed and always struggle with my routine as another said she does. I remember being at a show for 45 min. and she hadn't even started the first of two complete recipes--way too long! My show lasted one hour last night and I wish I could've ditched the complete demo and let them play with the products more-- I think I'll try this approach--it's just one more option for all those people who say--"I'm too busy"---- I just thought that you had to make a recipe, that it was just a PC must! Thanks for giving me this idea!

Just my two cents...I decided in June to start doing express shows. I didn't want to waste all summer stuck inside doing shows, and I figured most of the guests didn't want to either. Well, my show averages have been way down. Most of them have only made it to the $200's. I switched back last night and did a full blown cooking show and she is at $300 now and waiting on a couple of outside orders.

I don't know if the Express shows are what made my shows lower or just because it's summer. I was very slow last summer too. And with gas prices being so high and the fact that the guests have to spend $60 now instead of $50 to get something free, I'm sure that also has something to do with it.

Some of my summer shows have been lower sales---but I have signed 4 this month!!!!:D --so an express show is very duplicatable and that's what someone that may join wants to see---still have one more recruit to call as she wants to do a show first for $40 credit--but hubby may get laid off--perfect time to start PC??!!!

By the way I have never had anyone ask me to do a full demonstration!

Im unsure..I have been tossing this around in my head ever since the first time i saw anything on this site about it.
I have always found that the more products the customers see in "action" the more I sell. So, it is hard to see how an express show where people don;t see anything actually working, can create that need in them.
However, I have also read that lots of people are having great success with this type of show, some have even had their show average go up.
I think that some of us have a GREAT gift for painting wonderful pictures with words (its definately not me), and if we can all learn to do that, then maybe it will work well for everyone.
Im thinking maybe if we do a recipe ahead of time, have everyone eating during the demo..ect, maybe just the "potato demo" would be something to consider. you can do it quick, show off lots of tools, probably in a matter of 20 minutes to 30 minutes? Of course you would then have stuff to wash after, but not as much as a whole cooking demo...
I Really, really want to try this express show or a variation of it, im just afraid I won't sell anything.
what do you guys think?

I personally like to do some kind of demos at my shows even if I do alot of prep work. I actually make the guests do the demo. I think if you can get the tools in the guests hands for them to use they are more likely to buy. Plus the guests love to get lots of tips on how to use the products in different ways. My average show is $400-$500. This week I had 4 shows and did the profiterole puffs and hot pizza dip. I made the puff part and baked them ahead of time. Then I passed around the puffs and had everyone take 2-3 depending on how many guests were there. I mixed up the filling and had each of them fill their own puffs with the EAD. Then I passed the frosting around and they topped their own puffs. Then I had someone chop the nuts for me and we passed those around. It was so easy and everyone loved it. My demo was about 30-45 minutes. Its the easiest demo.

1. What are express and full shows in the context of hosting and guesting?

Express shows are a condensed version of a full show, where the host brings pre-prepared food and the presenter only demos a few products. Full shows, on the other hand, involve a complete cooking demonstration and often include a full meal for guests to enjoy.

2. Which type of show is more effective for hosts and guests?

The answer to this question depends on various factors such as the host's preferences, the type of audience, and the products being showcased. Some hosts may prefer the convenience and simplicity of an express show, while others may enjoy the full experience of a traditional show. Similarly, some guests may appreciate the efficiency of an express show, while others may prefer the interactive and immersive nature of a full show.

3. Have you personally tried both express and full shows?

As a scientist, I have not personally hosted or attended any express or full shows. However, I have observed and studied their effectiveness through research and data analysis.

4. How have hosts responded to express shows compared to full shows?

Again, this can vary greatly depending on the individual host. Some may find express shows to be a refreshing change of pace, while others may feel that it is not as engaging as a full show. Ultimately, it is important for hosts to communicate their preferences and expectations with the presenter beforehand to ensure a positive experience for both parties.

5. How can you address the concern of guests being let down by an express show?

One way to address this concern is by setting clear expectations and providing a brief explanation of the format before the show begins. This can help manage guests' expectations and create a positive and enjoyable experience for everyone. Additionally, offering a variety of options, such as a mix of express and full shows, can cater to different preferences and keep things interesting for guests.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
cutiechic
  • winklermom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies