• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Experienced Travelers - I Need Some Advice

In summary, I am preparing for a two-and-a-half-week trip to China. I am not sure how to pack for a trip that will last two and a half weeks and will be in multiple places. I am thinking about bringing a light raincoat and some lighter clothes, but am not sure if I need more. I am also going to bring a guidebook and a small bag of samples. My husband is worried about shoes and is planning to bring too many. I am excited for the trip and am looking forward to learning about the culture and the sights.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
We are leaving for China in 2 months for our family trip. We'll be gone for 2 1/2 weeks and I have no idea how to pack for this kind of trip! We're going a few days early to San Francisco then off to China for 2 weeks.

My issue is that for our inner-China travel we are limited to a 44 pound suitcase and pretty much the same measurement standards as a US non-oversized bag. The trip is pretty fast paced and I don't think we are in any one place for more than 2 nights - I'm not sure if that's even long enough to have laundry done or if I want to take the chance of getting my clothing back in time to leave for the next destination - kwim?

Any tips for what and how to pack for that lenght of time? It's going to be in July and according to the travel info July is their wettest month and to expect it to be wet, hot, and humid ... so, I'm not keen on wearing my clothes several times over and I guess my hair will look like crap.

I've never done that kind of traveling, but I would think you need to pack light clothes, tank tops, shorts, tennis shoes, capris, etc... and maybe a light rain coat or maybe a poncho to cover your clothes so they don't get too wet and you can get a couple days out of them?? Take some downy wrinkle releaser, or buy some there and spray your clothes after one wear, that will refresh them. HTH Have fun and don't worry over the clothes too much, just enjoy your time there!

How exciting Linda!!!!!!! I travel a LOT :) so I hope I can help. Since there is going to be lots of damp bring a light weight rain type jacket. Then bring lots of light weight tops. If your tops are light fabric you will be able to at least hand wash them and hang to dry and they shouldn't take to long. You don't need as much clothing as you think, usually people over pack and end up carrying a bunch of stuff they never use or need. Remember light weight socks and undies too;)

Roll your cloths rather then fold, they stay nicer that way. You might want to invest in a small travel iron with changeable plugs.

Over the next couple of weeks keep track of how much beauty products you really use in that time, that will help you figure out how much to bring. (do you really need 2 different hand lotions etc.)

I NEVER will bring more then 2 pairs of shoes, nice sandles that can be dressy if need be and a really good pair of "walking" shoes.

If you want to bring a guide book, find the best one and only bring one! Books really weigh you down.

Samples are your friend, I have a little bag that I use for meds and bring sample packets of asprin and bug bit lotions.

I travel over a month through Europe and started with an empty suitcase I put everything in my carry on bag! Everyone thought I was nuts. I was the only one on my trip that wasn't packing around a big suite case right from the beginning.

Is this a bus tour your going on?

Thanks for the tips Rennea. I'm good with everything that I need except for the clothes. I have all sorts of travel size cosmetics and shampoos/conditioners - good idea on the bug wipes, I hadn't thought of that.

I tend to over pack on the shoes, so I will try and restrain myself.

The trip is air, bus, and cruise ship so there will be lots of moving about while in China. I'm trying to only take my roll-aboard and a carry-on (I might go buy a back-pack).

Remember baby wipes as well Linda. They are good for those toilets with out paper, general clean up and if it's going to be hot then they are good for a fast refresher.

My dh loves shoes and always has to bring to many then regrets it later.LOL

I'm so excited for you!!!!!

Tilley has a lot of clothes that are designed for travel. They pack well and will dry overnight when washed out in a sink. tilley.com (And I'm sure Rennea appreciates me giving a Canadian company a plug...)

rennea said:
Remember baby wipes as well Linda. They are good for those toilets with out paper, general clean up and if it's going to be hot then they are good for a fast refresher.

My dh loves shoes and always has to bring to many then regrets it later.LOL

I'm so excited for you!!!!!

Rennea - they have Turkish Toilets over there!!!!! I will be bringing lysol wipes, cottonelle wipes, hand sanitizer, tissues....and whatever else is needed! I may have a urinary tract infection when I get home from 'holding it' - I'm not a fan of the Turkish Toilet :yuck:

chefann said:
Tilley has a lot of clothes that are designed for travel. They pack well and will dry overnight when washed out in a sink. tilley.com (And I'm sure Rennea appreciates me giving a Canadian company a plug...)

I'll check this out - thanks!

Ann I've never heard of Tilley before.LOL

Linda well if they have Turkish Toilets at least you don't have to worry about a dirty toilet seat.LMAO!!!

In my travels I have found that usually turkish toilets are found in men's rooms but then again I have never been to China :)

I have a ton of friends that have gone on short term missions to other countries, as has my daughter (India, 3 weeks). One thing I thought was really valuable was to hit thrift stores here in the states and get things to wear and then leave them behind--passes clothing on to others and makes your suitcase lighter. Also, don't know if you are going through Singapore but my dd says the singapore airport has this monster mall and clothes are like 1/3 of the price here in the states so she also bought some stuff there (skirts and stuff) that got her through.

rennea said:

Linda well if they have Turkish Toilets at least you don't have to worry about a dirty toilet seat.LMAO!!!

In my travels I have found that usually turkish toilets are found in men's rooms but then again I have never been to China :)

:eek::eek: WHAT? Rennea! Tilley hats are the all Canadian hat ;)

rennea said:

nope, they had lots of turkish toilets in Italy. My mom lives in Macau and she already warned me that the turkish toiltes are everywhere - and they don't supply TP - you gotta bring your own. She said no problem though every where ou go they have the little packs of kleenex tissues for sale.

Nancy - that's an idea too. We are staring in Beijing and ending in Singapore. We will be in Singapore for the Total Solar Eclipse.

kcjodih said:

DH has one to wear at car shows. We call it his Dork Hat. :)

I"ve travelled a bit as well ~ I'd put all your heavy stuff in your purse (no liquids of course) you can bring a carry-on as well plus 2 checked luggage (the 44 lbs is for the two luggage, 10 lbs for carry on and they don't weigh your purse)

Don't forget to call your credit card company to let them know about your trip so they don't block your transactions thinking it's been stolen.

Make photo copies of your passports and drivers license and other important documents you are bringing with you including your credit cards front and back.

pamperedlinda said:
nope, they had lots of turkish toilets in Italy. My mom lives in Macau and she already warned me that the turkish toiltes are everywhere - and they don't supply TP - you gotta bring your own. She said no problem though every where ou go they have the little packs of kleenex tissues for sale.

Did you find turkish toilets in Italy for ladies, in all the months that I have spent in Italy I have never seen one! DH has while we have been there. Guess I've just been lucky :)

kcjodih said:

Sorry I don't wear hats!!!

Nanisu said:
I have a ton of friends that have gone on short term missions to other countries, as has my daughter (India, 3 weeks). One thing I thought was really valuable was to hit thrift stores here in the states and get things to wear and then leave them behind--passes clothing on to others and makes your suitcase lighter. Also, don't know if you are going through Singapore but my dd says the singapore airport has this monster mall and clothes are like 1/3 of the price here in the states so she also bought some stuff there (skirts and stuff) that got her through.

Just as long as you don't just discard them. I have heard a lot of "Americans" do this and a lot of foreigners look down on it. They claim that we are a throw away society. While traveling I've had some rude remarks that I must just toss my stuff out like other Americans. At first I didn't know what the heck they were talking about. I guess it's normal for a lot of tourists just to toss out there socks instead of washing them.

Also I am a bit of a snob and don't shop a thrift stores:eek: But DH makes a habit forgetting to bring some clothes thinking of the shopping he is going to do!

rennea said:
Did you find turkish toilets in Italy for ladies, in all the months that I have spent in Italy I have never seen one! DH has while we have been there. Guess I've just been lucky :)

yes - not in Rome, more in some of the smaller towns. I do remember one was in Verona.

I travel quite a lot. Take clothes that you can mix and match with different things. Also take light weight things that you can layer if you need to. If you need to do some laundry then you can hand wash things and they will be dry quite quickly. Most hotels have laundry services so you could use that. Pack mini bottles of toiletries to save on weight or just take one bottle of shampoo that everyone can use rather than several different ones.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

We spent almost 3 months in Germany and found laundromats everywhere necessary. It was quite nice to be able to wash my own clothes.

1. What are some tips for packing efficiently?

One tip for efficient packing is to make a list of all the essential items you will need for your trip and stick to it. Also, rolling your clothes instead of folding them can save space in your luggage. Additionally, packing versatile items that can be worn in multiple outfits can help minimize the number of items you need to bring.

2. How can I save money while traveling?

One way to save money while traveling is to plan and book your trip in advance. This can help you find better deals on flights and accommodations. You can also save money by opting for budget-friendly activities and using public transportation instead of taxis. Lastly, consider staying in an Airbnb or vacation rental instead of a hotel to save on accommodation costs.

3. What are some safety precautions I should take while traveling?

It is important to research the safety of your destination before traveling and follow any travel advisories. Always be aware of your surroundings and avoid walking alone at night. Keep your valuables secure and be cautious of scams targeted at tourists. It is also a good idea to have a copy of your important documents, such as your passport, in case they get lost or stolen.

4. How can I stay connected while traveling abroad?

To stay connected while traveling abroad, consider purchasing a local SIM card or using a portable WiFi device. This can help you avoid expensive international roaming charges. You can also download offline maps and translation apps to help navigate and communicate in a foreign country.

5. What should I do if I encounter a problem during my trip?

If you encounter a problem during your trip, such as a lost passport or a cancelled flight, it is important to stay calm and contact your travel insurance provider if you have one. You can also reach out to the local embassy or consulate for assistance. It is always a good idea to have a backup plan and extra funds in case of emergencies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
gaddischef
Replies
Views
StacieB
  • PChef_ang
  • General Chat
Replies