• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Executive Cookware Safety: Dupont Teflon

In summary, my friend/customer completed treatment for breast cancer and really wants to purchase a quality set of cookware from Test Kitchens. However, there is still a lot of crazy information out there on the web about the safety of DuPont Teflon. TPC has a Cookware guide that talks about the three types of cookware. Maybe reviewing this guide would help my friend/customer make the best choices for her safety.
chefani
I have a friend/customer who recently completed treatment for breast cancer. She really wants to purchase a quality set of cookware from TPC and likes the idea of the Executive cookware, however, there is still a lot of crazy information out there on the web about the safety of DuPont Teflon.

Does anyone have any safety info on it or know if TPC has any safety statements regarding the Executive Cookware?
Thanks in advance for your help!

My suggestion would be just to email HO. I think you can email the Test Kitchens and they will give you the authoritive word on the product. In CC, (old system), go to Managing your Business -> Home Office Contacts -> Email Home Office. Then select "Test Kitchen".I'm sure there is info out there (look at the "similar threads" below at the bottom of this page...you'll find some there too). But going to the source will be the guaranteed way (and probably faster).I'd be curious what they say though too...love it if you could post their response.

I'm curious too. For years I've been told that Pampered Chef Executive cookware is NOT Teflon, it's made by Dupont but, not Teflon. Ours is Autograph 2. Well...in looking up Autograph 2, it's in the category of Dupont Teflon??? I'm confused now! http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon/en_US/products/cookware_coatings/decide_which_one.html Click on the last link, bottom right and you will see Pampered Chef listed as a retailer.

or http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon/en_US/assets/downloads/pdf/h93585_Autograph2_fact_sheet.pdf very bottom of fact sheet says Dupont Teflon finishes.

Thanks for the great idea Bobbi; I will do that. In the interim, I did find some more information from 2006 here on CS. There is even a letter from HO that includes the following information:"Earlier this week Dupont pledged its commitment to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to eliminate the emissions of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) from its Teflon® manufacturing facilities by 2015. Yesterday it was reported by the Chicago Tribune and other news agencies that both the EPA and Dupont agreed that consumers who use cookware with Teflon® coating can be confident that the products are safe to use. On its website, Dupont reports that rigorous scientific testing has shown that PFOA is not released from Teflon® non-stick cookware even under some extreme cooking conditions. According to DuPont, studies show that even when cookware coated with Teflon® was scratched with a knife, no PFOA was detected under typical consumer use conditions."http://www.chefsuccess.com/f8/news-about-teflon-5416/In my further research on PFOAs, it seems that PFOAs are contained in MANY products such as microwave popcorn packing, some candy packaging, stain-resistent carpet, etc. So there is really no way to get away from it...no wonder the studies show that PFOAs show up in 95% Amercian's blood stream! But as is stated in a few articles I read, the main issue is PFOAs in the air from the MANUFACTURING of Teflon products...not in the products themselves.If I hear anything more, I will post back here again.

Given her health issues, I can understand her concerns (I would too!). Perhaps she could consider the white ceramic pans we now have! They are "quick-release".On CC, PC has a Cookware guide that talks about the three types. That might be worth reviewing for yourself so you can talk to her about her choices. I only use non-stick skillets. Saucepans and stockpots are typically my SS collection. Occasionally a non-stick skillet if I'm doing something like cheese sauce, etc. But look at how she cooks. What does she use now? maybe she'd do well with a SS set, and then add 1-2 skillets from the White Ceramic line for most of her non-stick cooking.

There is so much mis-information out there. Sometimes the internet is a blessing and sometimes it's a curse.

1. What is Dupont Teflon and why is it used in Pampered Chef cookware?

Dupont Teflon is a non-stick coating made of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) that is used in Pampered Chef cookware to prevent food from sticking to the surface. It is commonly used because it is durable, scratch-resistant, and easy to clean.

2. Is Dupont Teflon safe for cooking?

Yes, Dupont Teflon is safe for cooking. It is regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and has been deemed safe for use in cookware. However, it is important to follow proper care and use instructions to ensure the safety and longevity of your cookware.

3. Are there any health concerns associated with using cookware with Dupont Teflon?

There have been some concerns raised about the potential release of toxic fumes when cooking with Teflon at high temperatures. However, the FDA has stated that at normal cooking temperatures, there is no significant risk to human health. It is important to avoid overheating your cookware and to use proper ventilation when cooking at high temperatures.

4. How should I care for my Pampered Chef cookware with Dupont Teflon?

To ensure the longevity and safety of your cookware, it is important to follow these care instructions: avoid using metal utensils, do not use abrasive cleaners or scrubbers, hand wash with mild soap and water, and avoid overheating the cookware.

5. Can I use my Pampered Chef cookware with Dupont Teflon on an induction cooktop?

Yes, Pampered Chef cookware with Dupont Teflon is compatible with induction cooktops. The base of the cookware is made of stainless steel, which is a magnetic material that allows it to work on induction cooktops.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scrappergirl7
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • christy_c
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
bethsbiz
Replies