• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help my Friend Return/Exchange: A Silent Auction Donation Mystery

In summary, a friend attended a fundraiser event and won a silent auction for a large PC set bundled with other items. She assumed a stoneware piece was a rectangular baker based on a recipe card and was disappointed when it turned out to be a round stone. She wants to return or exchange it but there is no consultant information available. Possible solutions include giving it as a gift, selling it, or asking the organization for the consultant's information. However, the speaker does not feel obligated to help as the friend purchased the item from another consultant.
babywings76
Gold Member
Yesterday, a friend of mine called me. She said that she and her husband went to a fundraiser event where there were silent auctions. There was a large PC set bundled together and wrapped w/ cellophane so much that she couldn't really see very clearly everything that was in there. She could make most of it out, except for the box containing a piece of stoneware. She saw a recipe card and to her it looked like it was something in a rectangle baker. The box was rectangular, so she assumed that's what the stone was. Well, they won it and when she opened it up, they saw that it was a round stone w/ handles. They were really disappointed because they already own one of those and as it is they don't use it much. She's wondering if there's a way she can return/exchange. I asked her if there was any consultant information on any of the things and she said she didn't see any info anywhere--not even on the recipe card or the catalog. :eek: So I don't know if maybe this was a donation by a PC customer or if it was a consultant. That poor consultant though, I wonder how she forgot to label anything! To make a donation like that and then not even get your name out to one person!

So, here's what I told her she could do, but please help me get creative and make sure I'm thinking of all her options...
1. Give the stone away as a gift
2. Ask if any of her friends want to buy it from her
3. Sell it on eBay or Craigslist

I guess she could also call HO and just see if perhaps they will let her exchange it (but I HIGHLY doubt they'd accept it.)

What would you do? I don't need another one of these stones. I'm not sure I want to front the money for one. She's a very, very busy mom of 4 kids and active in her community, school, & church and I don't know if she'll host a party. I can ask her, and hope, but I doubt she'll host. We've been friends for years and she has never come to any of my parties because she's too busy. I was thinking I could somehow work a deal if she hosted, but that sounds like blackmail. :cool: :rolleyes:

So, any ideas or suggestions?

The organization that ran the fundraiser should know who the consultant was that donated the PC--have her check with them.

ok, she won a silent auction thinking the stone was something it wasn't. don't think she'll be able (or should be able) to exchange it at p chef. You gave her three good options and I would leave it up to her. No need for you to buy the stone when you can get it so much cheaper as a consultant. If she is that active in her church, school and community, she can donate it to the next event.

gailz2 said:
The organization that ran the fundraiser should know who the consultant was that donated the PC--have her check with them.

This is what I was going to say.

gailz2 said:

maybe the organization knows, but when I donate products, I put in my consultant info in case they want to purchase any more products or if something happens to the products within warranty, not so they can exchange.

Give her HO number and tell her you're sorry, but can't do anything. She is a friend, but not a business associate. She purchased something through another consultant and now wants your help to fix it. That doesn't sound like a very good friend to me. Don't offer to exchange or front the money.

doughmama said:
maybe the organization knows, but when I donate products, I put in my consultant info in case they want to purchase any more products or if something happens to the products within warranty, not so they can exchange.

The last time I made a donation to a silent auction/raffle, they asked me to put a list on the outside of the basket with a detailed list of what was in there. But I agree, she took a chance.

I agree with those who said she took a chance assuming what was in there and it went to a good cause. She can try HO or the organization if she wants.

Trust me I see some PC consultants and other direct sales consultants who do not put their information on things!

wadesgirl;791646 Trust me I see some PC consultants and other direct sales consultants who do not put their information on things![/QUOTE said:
maybe for this reason. they donated and don't want to make any exchanges:)

When I donated to our dance studio's fundraiser, they had us write on an index card the contents of the donation, but when I saw how they packaged my items, I was disappointed. They didn't include that list of items and just labeled it Pampered Chef. You'd think the consultant would've at least labeled her catalog, why include it otherwise?! So confusing. You're right, it was her taking the chance and I don't think it's fair for her to expect me to do her a big favor out of my pocket. Not saying that that's what she's expecting...I'm not sure what her true thoughts are. She could be hoping I'll take it and resell it and then give her a credit towards what she wants. Thanks for the suggestion that she contact the organization. But if she were to find out the consultant and contact her, who knows what that consultant will say. She may have purchased it in a way that would be hard for her to do the exchange, too.Hopefully she'll just hang onto it and give it as a gift to someone.

I always include my contact info in gift baskets but find it upsetting when people try to exchange and item! I also run a salon and we've had people do it there too! Usually you put items in a basket that you have extra of, have not been able to sell, etc... and some people get soo offended if you will not let them trade it out! These events are for charity and to behave in that way is just tacky!!

Can't even imagine not using the stone, lol. I would give her tons of recipes so she'll WANT two stones. Two pizzas at a time; two batches of cookies at a time, etc.

JennLizFran said:
I always include my contact info in gift baskets but find it upsetting when people try to exchange and item! I also run a salon and we've had people do it there too! Usually you put items in a basket that you have extra of, have not been able to sell, etc... and some people get soo offended if you will not let them trade it out! These events are for charity and to behave in that way is just tacky!!

Yeah, I'm wondering if I should be up front and honest with her about how consultants donate these out of pocket and sometimes will give what they have on hand or are able to get a deal on due to a current promotion or something. That even if she found the consultant, that consultant might not be willing to do an exchange. (And what if she were to find the consultant, and she somehow made a deal w/ her if she hosted a show...then will I kick myself for not trying to do the same? :confused:)
Can't even imagine not using the stone, lol. I would give her tons of recipes so she'll WANT two stones. Two pizzas at a time; two batches of cookies at a time, etc.
I did talk to her about the round stone and mentioned a few of our most amazing recipes that are great on there. She was practically drooling over the phone and is excited for me to email them to her. But she just built their new home and it's actually in a development right next to a new little subdivision that built it own little shops. There's a pizza place in there, so they do take out a lot. I told her about putting the pizza on the stone when they bring it home to help it crisp up and she appreciated that tip. :thumbup:

Personally I think it's very tacky of her to even ask. Almost every time I bid on a gift basket there is at least something in it that I don't want, need or would never use but I would never consider asking someone to exchange it for something else. A recent basket had a certificate for a termite inspection with a different company than I deal with. I considered not entering but it was for a good cause. ...besides I NEVER win anyway - and I didn't.

She needs to either use it or give it away if it's not what she wants. I wonder if she even thought of it just because of our always talking about our great guarantee.

Oh, and I bet she didn't pay much for the ticket. (Often they are just $1 but even if it was $5 she got a deal.)

I think that's rude.................basically what she's saying is that she's too busy to come to your shows, host a show or even order from you but she can buy something somewhere else (not supporting your business) and then expect you to do the work and fix it when she isn't happy with it. I agree that she needs to try to find out who the basket came from. If she isn't willing to tell the organization she isn't happy with her product then I don't think she should be telling you when you had nothing to do with it.

You gave her great suggestions. I wouldn't buy it from her or trade her anything for it if I didn't have something on hand and want that stone myself. And I wouldn't even suggest to her that she call home office because they aren't going to do anything.

Sorry if I'm a bit snippy but I've been dealing with a bad host. This just seems like something that you shouldn't even have to deal with.

1. Can my friend return or exchange the silent auction donation?

Unfortunately, all silent auction donations are final and cannot be returned or exchanged. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

2. What if my friend receives a damaged item from the silent auction?

If your friend receives a damaged item from the silent auction, please contact our customer service team at [insert contact information here] within 14 days of receiving the item. We will do our best to resolve the issue and provide a replacement if possible.

3. Can my friend receive a refund for the silent auction donation?

As all silent auction donations are final, refunds are not available. However, if your friend has received a damaged item, please refer to the answer for question #2.

4. Is there a time limit for my friend to return or exchange the silent auction donation?

Due to the nature of silent auction donations, there is no time limit for returns or exchanges. However, we do ask that any issues with the item be brought to our attention within 14 days of receiving it.

5. Can my friend exchange the silent auction donation for a different item?

Unfortunately, exchanges are not available for silent auction donations. However, if your friend has received a damaged item, please refer to the answer for question #2.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • pattikake
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies