• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ethics: Navigating a Competitive Booking Situation

In summary, the conversation revolves around a consultant who has lost two potential shows to another consultant, who is known to be competitive and may have taken advantage of the consultant's friend. The consultant is struggling with the ethical implications and wonders if this is a common occurrence in the business. Others encourage her to speak to her director and address the issue, but the consultant ultimately decides to let it go and move on.
marystell1
ETHICS QUESTION?

A few mos ago I spoke to my pediatrician’s office about doing an office show more than once. They were excited. When I called for the final date they told me they were going with another consultant in my cluster. One of the girls in the office was friends with the other consultant. Others told me it was typical of this lady and that she was competitive. Though it was a waste of my time and catalogs I chalked it up to experience. When I met her I even made a joke about it. Well, it happened again, only this time the booking she took from me is one I booked at a show just this month. My potential host said that the other consultant really needed the show and that she recently lost her husband. This is true...I want to be grown up...HOW HORRIBLE FOR HER. Really! But here's the thing. I needed the show too. And even typing this....I'm starting to feel like a real creep. Okay, how many of you think I'm really horrible for even bringing it up?? I will let it go but my question is this: Does this happen often? I love Pampered Chef, my director and the rest of my group but this is discouraging.

Is it right? No! Ethical? No! Unfortunately we are all human and we do things just because of that. We may try to help someone out because we feel sorry for them or we do something simply because we are their friend. However, you have to remember this may work sometime in your favor when someone "clicks" better with you than her. (or someone else, for that matter) If she is not genuine, people will eventually see through her facade. If she is, maybe she really does need these bookings right now and your hard work will pay off later. Those customers will still remember your name and may even give it out as a referral. ;)

Actually I don't think the show at the pediatrician's office was very good. I know because I did a show for one of their customers and it was a $1200 show. When I asked the girl at her office how their show went, she told me "not as good as "***'s" show" and she didn't seem very happy.

Regardless, I'm just gonna tell myself that it was the potential host who made the decision, not the other consultant and I can't control what other people do, only how I react to it. Maybe the consultant didn't deliberately hijack my show. And I do like to believe the best in people. I just wanted to vent. Don't judge me too badly.

Hey, I don't think you're horrible for bringing it up. This is exactly the place to come & vent about it. It's human nature to be disappointed when things don't work out as we planned.

And might I add, it happening TWICE sucks double.

I think you need to let your director know. She needs to discuss this at your next team meeting. Not specifics of your case, but the rules of etiquette in this business.

If you have a show booked, it is not another's place to take it. It is booked with you! That consultant should have said, "You already have a consultant. Great. I hope it goes well for you. If at any time you decide to change consultants or she decides to give up her business, let me know. I'd love to help you then."

Your business and your shows are just as important as anyone else's. You don't have to have a "better" reason than another consultant to get a show. How horrible of that consultant to use a pity card to steal your business. Don't sweep this under the rug. If she's doing it to you, odds are she'll keep doing it to as many other consultants as she can until someone calls her on it. Let your director help you. And stop this before it gets out of hand.

Actually, I did speak to my director about it. She said that she didn't think that this consultant was that kind of person, despite what I had heard to the contrary. She's great though and did offer to speak to her about it, but considering, 1) it may have been a coincidence, 2) she may not have deliberately hijacked the show and 3) the consultant's current circumstances, it just seemed easier to let it go and chalk it up to experience.

Hold your friends close and your challengers closer. Keep an eye on her, but bless and release. (And know where she is at all times!)

How does this other consultant in your cluster know the people you know?
I'd say get out of that circle of mutual contacts and you will be better off. Or, if YOU know that someone you want to host with knows this other girl just steer clear of them. There's business everywhere. I certainly don't know all the people the girls in my cluster do shows for.

It's a smaller world than you might think but....we live in the same parish (county to you) and work for the same public entity. If I could steer clear, I would do so with pleasure. I'm an optimist. It'll all work out.

Here is what I heard out of this.... "my husband died so I need a Pampered Chef show." I know that's terrible that's what I got out of it, and if my husband died I would be beyond devestated. The last thing I would be doing if he died would be wallowing that I don't have a show on my calendar. Our luck he would die the day before I had a show. (I love him)

It's really crappy that happened to you... but just chalk it up the experience. Because it has happened to all of us (at least one way or another) I am super competitive when it comes to my job. Because that's what it is, my full time job. But when people have a consultant already, I say that's great, at least they're getting the good stuff somewhere!

I completely agree with chefliz, your work will pay off. This is your business and you can make it happen. Don't worry about this other gal... but if it happens a third time, I would definitely say something to her.

What goes around comes around and you will be ahead in the end. Just let it go and pray for her.

You have every right to feel upset and to come here to vent. That's what we're here for. As for the other consultant, it's probably best to bless and release. Though, if you both attend training events you might talk with your director about ethics as a future training topic.

1. What is considered a "competitive booking situation" in the Pampered Chef business?

A competitive booking situation in the Pampered Chef business is when multiple consultants are trying to book a party with the same host or hostess. This can create a sense of competition and can lead to ethical concerns if not handled appropriately.

2. How can I ethically navigate a competitive booking situation?

The first step in navigating a competitive booking situation is to communicate openly and honestly with the host or hostess. Make sure they understand that you value their business and that you respect their decision to choose a consultant. Avoid using pressure tactics or making false promises to secure the booking. It is also important to abide by the guidelines set by Pampered Chef in regards to booking parties.

3. What should I do if I suspect another Pampered Chef consultant is using unethical tactics to secure a booking?

If you suspect that another consultant is using unethical tactics, it is important to address the situation with them directly and respectfully. You can also bring your concerns to your team leader or Pampered Chef's ethics department for further guidance.

4. Is it ever appropriate to undercut another consultant's prices or offerings in order to secure a booking?

No, it is never appropriate to undercut another consultant's prices or offerings in order to secure a booking. This goes against Pampered Chef's policies and values of fairness and respect for fellow consultants. It can also damage the trust and relationships within the Pampered Chef community.

5. How can I ensure that I am always acting ethically in my Pampered Chef business?

To ensure that you are always acting ethically, it is important to familiarize yourself with Pampered Chef's Code of Ethics and follow their guidelines. Additionally, make sure to communicate openly and honestly with your host or hostess, respect the decisions and boundaries of other consultants, and always prioritize the best interests of your customers and the company. If you have any doubts or concerns, do not hesitate to seek guidance from your team leader or Pampered Chef's ethics department.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• clshirk
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
katie0128
  • amy07
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • TwinGirlsMom