• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Embarking on a New Odyssey - Hbot

In summary, tomorrow is the beginning of a new experience for me, something I never dreamed existed, let alone, thought I would need. Tomorrow morning, I am going diving, the first of 30 dives I must make. HBOT increases blood oxygenation and promotes capillary growth.
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, I'm not you.

It's not Dramamine, which contains Dimenhydrinate. The drug I took is meclizine, which is an antihistamine and prevents nausea. And it worked.

Two dives per day, 20 minutes to get down to depth, 1 hour at depth in 100% oxygen (wearing the helmet) and about a half an hour to come back up again.

4 down, 26 to go, but who's counting?

That's probably good - don't think this world can handle a duplicate of either of us. ;)

Wonderful that they found something that works for you!

Now, get some rest! You have a busy month!

Oh no...
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
First of all, I went to the Lands' End Inlet and found a nice, light jersey knit t-shirt and a pair of light, all cotton pants. That alone made a big difference, because the first dive was very warm.

Dave had an ice pack prepared for me, and that made a big difference, too.

I suspect it can only get better with each dive.

Awwwww KG sorry to hear you have to have this treatment but like you explained, they made a pretty convincing argument for going this route. Hope it does get easier for you each time. Thanks for all the visuals, it helps to see what you're experiencing. I felt claustrophobic just reading about it. Maybe each time you do it wear less and less clothes (or scrubs,) that might help and get Dave to have some extra ice packs handy! I will look for your updates and will be praying for you.

Addie4TLC said:
Awwwww KG sorry to hear you have to have this treatment but like you explained, they made a pretty convincing argument for going this route. Hope it does get easier for you each time. Thanks for all the visuals, it helps to see what you're experiencing. I felt claustrophobic just reading about it. Maybe each time you do it wear less and less clothes (or scrubs,) that might help and get Dave to have some extra ice packs handy! I will look for your updates and will be praying for you.
Less and less clothes?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's a scary thought!

Dave & I talked about that yesterday. Most of the staff is comprised of young ladies and there are a lot of children that come in for therapy, so I'll never get THAT far less and less. ;) Like it matters - there are two tiny porthole windows in the tank and no one, except Dave, ever looks in the porthole. But you do reach a certain age where that kind of thing just doesn't matter anymore.

Scrubs are a tight weave and don't usually breathe as well as the jersey knit cotton shirts I bought at Lands' End.

It was actually cold in the tank yesterday and I almost wrapped up in my towel. Of course, inside the helmet, it was warm and humid.

Have a decent day today diving! I hope they go well!

Well, here it is...The Kitchen Guy tanked.
JRinTank.jpg
Since those of you who have seen me have mostly never seen me without my hat, well, we wanted you to be able to recognize me!

OH jeez KG!! I feel sick just looking at that picture. I am very claustrophobic!! I just stumbled on this thread today so good Luck this month. YOu'll need it!!! Is it down to 25 now?

I love it!

Thanks for sharing KG.....it looks comfy and cozey in there - but I guess that's the view from the outside looking in!

PampMomof3 said:
OH jeez KG!! I feel sick just looking at that picture. I am very claustrophobic!! I just stumbled on this thread today so good Luck this month. YOu'll need it!!! Is it down to 25 now?
5 down - 25 to go.

But who's counting?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
5 down - 25 to go.

But who's counting?

um....you! You are not alone, we are counting with ya. :balloon:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

JRinTank.jpg

Since those of you who have seen me have mostly never seen me without my hat, well, we wanted you to be able to recognize me!

It looks so cozy in there! I see the water bottles but can't see how you're supposed to get them to your mouth!?!?

See the green rubbery stuff around the inside of the ring, on my shoulders? That IS rubber, and I can pull it up far enough to expose my mouth to the bottle.The other bottle is an empty and the part of my anatomy that one would be used for wouldn't require moving the helmet. ;)

Ummmm, glad to see THAT bottle's empty.

You're 1/6 of the way done!

My latest http://www.jrmanning.com/ describe the procedure. Just remember, the posts are in reverse order, so you have to scroll down to see the first entry.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The other bottle is an empty and the part of my anatomy that one would be used for wouldn't require moving the helmet. ;)

Oh no! Seriously!??!?
You'd better always be sure to grab the right bottle when you're thirsty!!! LOL:eek:

dannyzmom said:
Oh no! Seriously!??!?
You'd better always be sure to grab the right bottle when you're thirsty!!! LOL:eek:

And never take lemonade to drink!

dannyzmom said:
Oh no! Seriously!??!?
I'm drinking water, not Mountain Dew.

Or Corona.

Although, Corona would require having a horse.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
.......Although, Corona would require having a horse.
huh?

I didn't get that one, explain please.......

If you want to save money on Corona, collect lots of empties. You can take them to Mexico and hold them under the horse yourself.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
If you want to save money on Corona, collect lots of empties. You can take them to Mexico and hold them under the horse yourself.
I'm sorry I asked :yuck: Good thing I'm not a beer drinker.

Now you know why everyone wants a slice of lime with their Corona.

So are you diving each day? How many dives must you endure each day?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

JRinTank.jpg

Oh my God :eek: ...spittin' image of Robyn's DMV examiner! :yuck: ~~~~~~ JK! :p You're cute! :D

If you didn't have to do 30 of them, I'd say it looks kinda like a ride at Disney... knowing you have to do 30 of them it looks like a jail cell from outerspace... Good luck KG!

2 dives per day...6 down (so to speak) 24 to go.It is like a jail - I'm at the mercy of the tech. The least amount of pressure holds the door tightly closed and there is no escape.See http://www.jrmanning.com/ for more about it.

Love the hat!
I would definately be clausterphobic; I can't imagine doing it 30 times.
Yes, I do hope you don't grab the wrong bottle to drink!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Less and less clothes?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's a scary thought!

Dave & I talked about that yesterday. Most of the staff is comprised of young ladies and there are a lot of children that come in for therapy, so I'll never get THAT far less and less. ;) Like it matters - there are two tiny porthole windows in the tank and no one, except Dave, ever looks in the porthole. But you do reach a certain age where that kind of thing just doesn't matter anymore.

Scrubs are a tight weave and don't usually breathe as well as the jersey knit cotton shirts I bought at Lands' End.

It was actually cold in the tank yesterday and I almost wrapped up in my towel. Of course, inside the helmet, it was warm and humid.

Hi KG I wasn't able to go on Chef Success yesterday.... I love the picture, you look so cute and not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be in there. When I said less and less clothes I didn't mean a thong or anything like that. LOL I meant maybe lighter clothing, but you seem to be doing well in that dept. It's funny with all this talk about it feeling like jail and seeing a re-run of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" I'm confident that you can make any situation a fun experience. EVEN THIS!! I bet the staff looks forward to seeing you walk in the door for your treatment. :D

Do you have to drive back and forth each day or are you staying near the clinic.

I would worry about my driving abilities after that. I am praying for you.
Teresa

have you checked a sports store for underarmour shirts. My son has them for football & powerlifting. He has tights and all kinds of shirts some keep him warm keeping and others he wears to keep him cool.

So how was diving today? You started on another book yet?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Maybe this explains why I'm a guinness girl myself!:eek:

Thanks for sharing the photo KG; it's a classic! Out of curiosity, whatcha reading?

Thanks too for continuing to check in while going thru all this....don't know what I would do without my daily fix of KG-humor.;)

Teresa Lynn said:
have you checked a sports store for underarmour shirts. My son has them for football & powerlifting. He has tights and all kinds of shirts some keep him warm keeping and others he wears to keep him cool.

I'm not sure KG in tights would be a pretty picture! :eek:

Hey, I thought you couldn't read in there? Did that change?

Great pic, btw.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The drug I took is meclizine, which is an antihistamine and prevents nausea. And it worked.

Hey, that's the drug I take when I have a bout of vertigo! Works well for that, too.

For some reason, when I read the name of that drug, though, I can't help thinking about Indians, peyote and tiny, cute little mushrooms .... :balloon:

How much meclizine would I need to take to see Indians, peyote and tiny, cute little mushrooms? I'm not taking a big enough dose, I guess. although, mecluzine and psuedoephedrine play havoc with blood pressure.I drive about an hour and forty five minutes (85 miles) to the treatment center, one way. Driving there isn't much of a stretch. The drive home takes longer. There is a certain euphoria when you come out of the tank (my friend, John, a certified scuba instructor, tells me that's a nitrogen high from coming out of the pressure) and I end up taking a nap about 25 miles away from the center.Compressed air is warm because of the density of air in a confined space - there are more molecules banging against one another, creating more heat. When the tank de-pressurizes, it actually gets cold in there.I was pleasantly surprised to be allowed to take a book into the chamber. In the photo, I was reading The Thirteenth Tale, a debut novel by Diane Setterfield. You'll be hearing more from her, I'm sure. It's a mystery about a woman assigned to write the biography of a beloved writer. Read it carefully to pick up the clues as you read.I wear tights when I go skiing - and I've got the legs for them, too.

HbotHey KG, sorry but I"m just now / back on boards. Glad you've survived and hope this really helps your upcoming surgery.

Also many thanks for all the visuals, I'm a hospital Medical Records coder and it's sure nice to see what we code :)

Good Luck and keep posting updates;

Liz

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
How much meclizine would I need to take to see Indians, peyote and tiny, cute little mushrooms? I'm not taking a big enough dose, I guess. although, mecluzine and psuedoephedrine play havoc with blood pressure.

I drive about an hour and forty five minutes (85 miles) to the treatment center, one way. Driving there isn't much of a stretch. The drive home takes longer. There is a certain euphoria when you come out of the tank (my friend, John, a certified scuba instructor, tells me that's a nitrogen high from coming out of the pressure) and I end up taking a nap about 25 miles away from the center.

Compressed air is warm because of the density of air in a confined space - there are more molecules banging against one another, creating more heat. When the tank de-pressurizes, it actually gets cold in there.

I was pleasantly surprised to be allowed to take a book into the chamber. In the photo, I was reading The Thirteenth Tale, a debut novel by Diane Setterfield. You'll be hearing more from her, I'm sure. It's a mystery about a woman assigned to write the biography of a beloved writer. Read it carefully to pick up the clues as you read.

I wear tights when I go skiing - and I've got the legs for them, too.

I can't dive deep for that very reason - the nitrogen gets to me too fast...you can't think too clearly if your body can't handle the elevated nitrogen...there are stories of divers not coming up from deep dives for that reason - they get on a high and too disoriented.

Makes me wonder though about nitrous oxide (laughing gas)...similar effect to elevated nitrogen... Just a chemical combination of nitrogen and oxygen...
Interested relations between chemicals and effects...

Ok, done with my mental wandering...

the funny thing is our son who just made the local dream team for football and wears those tights for cold games has also joined a hip hop dance class with our daughter she bet him he couldn't/wouldn't make it that dance was more strenuous than football so he signed up and is loving it.
I'm hearing from the other guys on the team they'd take it too but they can't afford the $60 class fee per month. they said the girls are all over Zach at the pep rallys so I guess that is another way to meet girls (as if he had a problem in that area)

MomToEli said:
Hey, that's the drug I take when I have a bout of vertigo! Works well for that, too.

For some reason, when I read the name of that drug, though, I can't help thinking about Indians, peyote and tiny, cute little mushrooms .... :balloon:
vert4.gif

I've wished I had some good drugs to help watch really bad movies but this is a really good one.

KG, my last visit to CS was 8-10-07, before going on vacation. You will be in our prayers, constantly. Your story is gripping, in and of itself. It is one of
the first topics on CS, that I have opened, so I'm thankful to see your daily updates, and that you are handling it like a trooper!. Your courage and humor are in inspiration.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
How much meclizine would I need to take to see Indians, peyote and tiny, cute little mushrooms? I'm not taking a big enough dose, I guess. although, mecluzine and psuedoephedrine play havoc with blood pressure.

Mecluzine at first glance looks like Mescaline, which is peyote - hallucinogenic mushrooms. I have no personal experience with them, of course, but they were taken very frequently by Don Quixote, while he was hanging around with Indians. And just how do I know this, you ask? Well, Ann isn't the only one with incredibly useless information stored in her brain :D

I drive about an hour and forty five minutes (85 miles) to the treatment center, one way. Driving there isn't much of a stretch. The drive home takes longer. There is a certain euphoria when you come out of the tank (my friend, John, a certified scuba instructor, tells me that's a nitrogen high from coming out of the pressure) and I end up taking a nap about 25 miles away from the center.

After parking, I presume? Since you are still checking in here I'd think that is safe to say. I remember Dad talking about falling asleep driving and waking up driving through an onion field one time, so it is possible you nap while driving. Doing it daily you are certainly tempting the odds ...:rolleyes:

Compressed air is warm because of the density of air in a confined space - there are more molecules banging against one another, creating more heat. When the tank de-pressurizes, it actually gets cold in there.

Interesting stuff. Is it possible to get the bends if they de-pressurize the tank too fast?

I was pleasantly surprised to be allowed to take a book into the chamber. In the photo, I was reading The Thirteenth Tale, a debut novel by Diane Setterfield. You'll be hearing more from her, I'm sure. It's a mystery about a woman assigned to write the biography of a beloved writer. Read it carefully to pick up the clues as you read.

I look for it. I love a good mystery. You probably already surmised that ... :p

I wear tights when I go skiing - and I've got the legs for them, too.

:eek: You just don't strike me as a tights kinda guy, but one never knows. I have the legs for them, too, buried in here somewhere! :eek:

Anyway, I gotta tell ya, when I think of you in tights I see you with cowboy boots, your hat and a cape on ....

Running, ducking and hiding here ....and looking for an online combo spelling and typing course. Geez, I'm getting bad!

Last edited:
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
vert4.gif

I've wished I had some good drugs to help watch really bad movies but this is a really good one.

Well, see ... that's where that mescaline would come in handy. You wouldn't be able to tell it was a bad movie.

Really good pot would probably help with that. How else did we all get through Monte Python back in the old, old, long, long ago days? And I do mean LONG ago ...

MomToEli said:
Interesting stuff. Is it possible to get the bends if they de-pressurize the tank too fast?
Probably - but not very likely. Unless a porthole blows out, I don't think it's possible, or at least very easy to, de-pressurize too quickly. Think of a balloon - if you blow it up through the nozzle and let all the air out through the nozzle, the balloon deflates very quickly. If the balloon has a pinhole in it, it deflates very slowly. The relief valve in this tank is a relative pinhole.

There are a series of relief valves that can be opened to let air out more quickly, but those are for emergency use. The tech does open one of them, when the tank is almost back to normal pressure, to try to equalize enough to get the hatch open. The hatch is held shut only with air pressure - no mechanical latches at all - and it is all he can do to force it open sometimes, even with only a few ounces of pressure inside.

MomToEli said:
Well, see ... that's where that mescaline would come in handy. You wouldn't be able to tell it was a bad movie.

Really good pot would probably help with that. How else did we all get through Monte Python back in the old, old, long, long ago days? And I do mean LONG ago ...
We just recited lines along with the actors, a la Rocky Horror Picture Show.

"BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!" f/x CLANK!
"BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!" f/x CLANK!

"Heah ya go."

"We can't take 'im, 'e ain't dead yet."

"Waal, wait foive minoots!"

Grandmarita said:
KG, my last visit to Chef Success was 8-10-07, before going on vacation. You will be in our prayers, constantly. Your story is gripping, in and of itself. It is one of
the first topics on Chef Success, that I have opened, so I'm thankful to see your daily updates, and that you are handling it like a trooper!. Your courage and humor are in inspiration.
Well, [blush] thank you. [/blush]As Walt Kelly said in Pogo, through Porkypine, "Ya can't take life so serious, you ain't gonna get out of it alive, nohow."

MomToEli said:
:Anyway, I gotta tell ya, when I think of you in tights I see you with cowboy boots, your hat and a cape on ....

Now that's a super hero if I ever met one (uh, which I haven't acutally, but this seems a good time to start!): "Kitchen Guy Extraordinaire! Deflates foes and blowhards with his biting wit and subtle sarcasm! Keeper of obscure quotes, quips, and lyrics! Able to spot bull**** before the words are spoken! Defender of and flame keeper for one of our own....." (That last one makes him a real hero in my book.)

Thinking of you KG. Please keep yourself rested....preferably not while driving.

I just set the cruise control and let the car do the driving while I sleep.Well, happy Monday, everyone. I'm off to start the first of 10 dives this week.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I just set the cruise control and let the car do the driving while I sleep.

Well, happy Monday, everyone. I'm off to start the first of 10 dives this week.
My dh would say that, I set the cruise; we have one setting that will slow you down if you get too close to the car in front of you. (We don't like it, because it slams on the break) We also have sensors that beep. He sets those and says okay now it's on autopilot, I can sleep.

I just have to say I don't think it works!

Every party has a pooper.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Every party has a pooper.
Who me?

KG I just care about you. I wouldn't want to hear about an accident, because you decide your car had autopilot.

10 down - 20 to go - 1/3 of the way done!

<h2>1. What is hyberbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT)?</h2><p>HBOT is a medical treatment that involves breathing pure oxygen under pressurized conditions. This can increase blood oxygenation and promote capillary growth, aiding in the healing process.</p><h2>2. How is HBOT performed?</h2><p>HBOT is typically performed in a specialized chamber where the patient is exposed to increased atmospheric pressure. The chamber is not filled with 100% oxygen, but rather uses ambient air. Patients may wear a helmet or mask to deliver the oxygen.</p><h2>3. Why is HBOT being used in this specific case?</h2><p>The individual in question is undergoing HBOT in preparation for surgery later in the month. This therapy may help improve healing and recovery after the surgery.</p><h2>4. What are the restrictions inside the chamber during treatment?</h2><p>For safety reasons, no electronic devices, books, magazines, or printed materials are allowed inside the chamber. Inks and mechanical devices can release toxins under pressure, and there are also no toilets available inside the chamber.</p><h2>5. How long does a typical HBOT session last?</h2><p>The length of an HBOT session can vary, but a typical session may last a couple of hours. This may also depend on the specific condition being treated and the recommendation of a medical professional.</p>

1. What is hyberbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT)?

HBOT is a medical treatment that involves breathing pure oxygen under pressurized conditions. This can increase blood oxygenation and promote capillary growth, aiding in the healing process.

2. How is HBOT performed?

HBOT is typically performed in a specialized chamber where the patient is exposed to increased atmospheric pressure. The chamber is not filled with 100% oxygen, but rather uses ambient air. Patients may wear a helmet or mask to deliver the oxygen.

3. Why is HBOT being used in this specific case?

The individual in question is undergoing HBOT in preparation for surgery later in the month. This therapy may help improve healing and recovery after the surgery.

4. What are the restrictions inside the chamber during treatment?

For safety reasons, no electronic devices, books, magazines, or printed materials are allowed inside the chamber. Inks and mechanical devices can release toxins under pressure, and there are also no toilets available inside the chamber.

5. How long does a typical HBOT session last?

The length of an HBOT session can vary, but a typical session may last a couple of hours. This may also depend on the specific condition being treated and the recommendation of a medical professional.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
Replies
Views
SillyChef