• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Embarking on a New Odyssey - Hbot

In summary, tomorrow is the beginning of a new experience for me, something I never dreamed existed, let alone, thought I would need. Tomorrow morning, I am going diving, the first of 30 dives I must make. HBOT increases blood oxygenation and promotes capillary growth.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Tomorrow is the beginning of a new experience for me, something I never dreamed existed, let alone, thought I would need. Tomorrow morning, I am going diving, the first of 30 dives I must make.

Diving?

Yes, like scuba diving except that I am not going to get wet. I'm diving in a hyberbaric chamber. Yes, that tank they put people in who have the bends. I'm going to undergo something called hyberbaric oxygen therapy or HBOT. The idea is to breathe pure oxygen under pressure. For me, that will be at 2 atmospheres, the equivalent of diving to a depth of about 33 feet. HBOT increases blood oxygenation and promotes capillary growth. You can read more about it, if you want to, at my HBOT clinic's website.

The chamber itself is not pressurized with 100% oxygen (that's what killed the astronauts of Apollo 1) but uses ambient air. To get the oxygen therapy, I'm going to have to wear a helmet that looks like the ones the aliens wear in The Simpsons.

hoodmain.jpg

Doncha love all the little fishies on her scrubs?

No, I'm not doing this for the fun of it - it's in anticipation of surgery I'm having later this month. There are couple of things you need to know about this. One, there are no electronic devices allowed in the chamber - so no MP3, Walkman or computers. No books, magazines or printed materials are allowed in the chamber - inks release toxins under pressure. No mechanical devices, like puzzles, pens or pencils and no note pads. Oh, and as you might guess, there are no toilets inside the chamber, either! :eek: (Don't ask to borrow my water bottle when I come out, if you get my drift, but give me a call next time urine town.)

I have two dives scheduled tomorrow - a couple of hours each while I'm locked inside a little tank. I don't think I can locate a Tupperware small enough to contain my enthusiasm, but this must be done. I'll let you know how it goes.

WOW KG!:eek: Sounds like loads of fun!:yuck: A little claustaphobic myself so that would be torture!:cry: Good luck with your diving, I hope all goes well and good luck with your upcoming surgery!:D

TY - it's not as bad as having my head held to a table with bench dogs so I think I'll be alright.

That girl in the pic looks oddly enthusiastic about having her head in what looks like an oversized version of the PC trifle bowl!Good luck KG! Hope everything goes well!

She was probably well paid to look like she was in a Robert Palmer video.

KG, with all you do for us here on CS, we tend to forget that you have your own ongoing issues that you are dealing with & may take you for granted at times.
For this, I apologize and wish you well as you go through these treatments and your upcoming surgery.

KG,
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers...

Hey, KG, I'll be praying for you.I know it won't be fun. Just remember that one of the signs of being an adult is doing what needs to be done, whether it's fun or not. Ha! Ha! You're an adult! Scary, isn't it?Seriously, I hope everything goes well for you.

Me? An adult?? :eek:Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional.

I'm thinking about you today KG and hope all goes well for you.

Hey, wasn't Michael Jackson doing this a few years ago? KG, you aren't going to get all weird on us now are you?

It's too late for that - I already have.I think MJ was just in an oxygen tent - that's quite different because there's no pressure. This is actually inside a pressure tank. I'll take a photo of it if they'll let me.

Well, darn. I was thinking you'd be allowed to have at least a book with you. That stinks. You got one for the time between "dives" at least?

A couple of years ago, the Red Wings reserved an HBOT unit for the playoffs, to speed recovery of minor injuries. So you're in good company there. :)

Have fun!:rolleyes: Maybe you've mentioned it & I've missed it, but what surgery are you having, if you don't mind me asking.

Praying for you this morning, KG ...

Prayers going your wayHey KG,

I'll be thinking of and praying for you today and in the upcoming weeks as you prepare for surgery. Good luck with the dive!

Hey KG, I hope all goes well for you. We will all be thinking of you!

chefann said:
A couple of years ago, the Red Wings reserved an HBOT unit for the playoffs, to speed recovery of minor injuries. So you're in good company there. :)

Ann... remind me sometime to tell you about this. That's when my dad was still the dr for the team.

finley1991 said:
Ann... remind me sometime to tell you about this. That's when my dad was still the dr for the team.
Sweeeet. And here I was just trying to make KG feel better by relating HBOT to someone cool instead of Michael Jackson. :)

Ack - doesnt sound like much fun - I'll be thinkin about ya.

KG - I got all excited that you might be learning to SCUBA and then you change it to HBOT. If you ever do take up SCUBA - that is fun! Just don't dive the Racine quarry - that's where I learned and you can't see a thing!!!!!

I hope this all goes well for you and you don't get too bored! We'll all be praying that it goes as planned!

Good luck with the HBOT and surgery. I'll be thinking of you! :)

chefann said:
Sweeeet. And here I was just trying to make KG feel better by relating HBOT to someone cool instead of Michael Jackson. :)

KG already knows he's cool. That's why he's going to get through all of this fabulously!

Good luck KG! We're here for you!

Well, I'm out of the tube after number 1, only 29 more to go. I squirted out of that tank like toothpaste when you accidentally step on the tube.I had a little anxiety attack when the door slammed shut the first time and I made them let me out for a minute to compose myself. The tech, Dave, is a great guy (we're contemporaries, too, so that helps) and he helped talk me back down. In fact, I think Dave is a little more to this place than a techie. I'll let you know.It wasn't really claustrophobia of being in the tank, it was that gosh darned helmet. It isn't really a helmet as much as it's a big plastic bag with rim that seals like a Tupperware.It filled up with oxygen and my head started to float away like a hot air balloon - but once the pressure started to come up in the chamber, it balanced out. It's really not much different from flying in a pressurized airplane except there's no movies, no music, no guy in the seat next to me to annoy and no flight attendent offering a bag of peanuts and a beer. And, it gets awfully warm and humid in that helmet. (I'm hot stuff, ya know.)The chamber is what I told you it is, a tank, it's a little like being inside an air compressor except it has windows. It's fairly large, I would guess that it's 10 feet long and 42" in diameter. I was able to sit up in it, except there's no lumbar support so my back hurts now. Anyway, it's bigger than a garbage can. The biggest thing for me is being incommunicado for two hours.I'm trying to decide if I'm uncomfortable right now or not. I do know that I could use a nap.Oh, yes...I took a book in with me. Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale.

You comment about the helmet sealing like Tupperware gives me funny mental images of the tech "burping" a giant bowl with your head in it. :) Good thing, too - gotta keep you fresh and sassy, even if your jokes are stale.

O2 many puns floating around - gotta pick the good ones. :D

Welcome back!

Hey, is this the same sort of contraption that Richard Gere was in in An Officer and a Gentleman?

I'm glad you were able to take a book in, too. Sounds like you'll need to sneak in a pillow for your back. Any chance you could nap while you were in the chamber?

It looks something like this...http://www.amronintl.com/ItemImages/chamber2.jpgYou have to be very careful about what goes in there because pressure does weird things to certain materials. I had two pillows in there with me.Sleep? Not likely. The anxiety makes it impossible to relax, however, I would bet that as time goes on and I get more dives behind me, napping might be a possiblity.

You should keep a "dive log" of your adventures! Either on your blog or elsewhere. I think it would be neat for you!

Any Xanax allowed?

I don't think I could do it, but I guess you do what ya gotta do.

Prayers & hugs along with wishes for these treatments to get easier. The big first one is over. It sounds like there is no way to really explain what to expect.

Good luck with the rest KG! I am glad you came through this one.

Sending GOOD thoughts your way KG!Hope everything goes well KG...will be thinking of you ~ what time??? So I can say EXTRA prayers for you then...

{{{{{HUGS}}}}

Oops...at a snail's pace here...it already happened!!! Sorry ~ good thoughts coming your way RIGHT NOWWW ~ hope it went well!

Yeah, we've always known you're host stuff.Glad your first go-round went well. I'll keep you in prayer for the rest.

UPDATE: The second dive was much better than the first one. First of all, I went to the Lands' End Inlet and found a nice, light jersey knit t-shirt and a pair of light, all cotton pants. That alone made a big difference, because the first dive was very warm. Dave had an ice pack prepared for me, and that made a big difference, too. Just the same, for some reason, the last twenty minutes seemed like twenty hours.Some observations on the day...The sound of oxygen flow gets very old very fast. The only feeling of high pressure comes when going up to pressure or coming back down to normal pressure, because, like in an airplane, ears pop. Going up to pressure, my water bottle begins to collapse. On the way back down, he bottle hisses when the cap is opened. Otherwise, at pressure, the only thing I noticed was the hiss of the oxygen flow into my helmet, the hiss of ambient air flowing into the chamber and the sound of the pump, just outside the chamber, that provides the pressure.I got a lot of reading done today, but it's a challenge to do so. The helmet fills up with oxygen and warm breath, so it acts like a hot air balloon and wants to float around. So, I have to hold it in place if I want to read.That's my first day was like. I suspect it can only get better with each dive.

Last edited:
Wow, I sure hope that this helps you KG! (I think I'd rather drive over the Mighty Mac again than to do what you're doing here)...happy thoughts from me to you! Good luck with the rest of your "dives"!

Oh, I don't think it will be too bad after I've done few more dives. Jack Smith, a writer with the LA Times syndicate years ago, said, "Everything comes with practice, except getting up in the morning." You'd probably even get used to driving across the Mac if you did it twice a day.For me, the worst part is just sitting for two hours, being completely incommunicado, being unable to write and being unable to be creative in any way or shape. Reading is made difficult because of that hot air balloon over my head - I'll try to get a photo of it today. It has a clear viewing window in it, but the *^%#! thing won't sit still so it's like trying to read through a piece of Saran wrap in a breeze.2 down, 28 to go - but who's counting?

Just getting to read this thread KG...glad everything went OK with the first two....keeping you in my prayers for the rest of them and your surgery!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, I'm out of the tube after number 1, only 29 more to go. I squirted out of that tank like toothpaste when you accidentally step on the tube.

Well, that's an image I didn't need in my head!

Here's hoping... no wait, not hoping... KNOWING... the rest of your dives will go even better!:thumbup:

I just saw this today! I'm glad it went well yesterday!
KG you are in our thoughts and prayers.

This is the first time I saw this as well... I'll keep praying your "time inside" goes quickly! :)

Tanks..er...thanks everyone, for you thoughts and prayers. This morning's dive wasn't a lot of fun, and I suspect this afternoon's will be more of the same. I've developed some nausea, due in part to breathing pure oxygen and in part to being under pressure. The local pharmacist recommended some over-the-counter anti-nausea tabs that are a cousin to dramamine - I hope they help out.

Now I'm going to take a nap before I dive - I can't seem to sleep in the tank with that helmet on.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Tanks..er...thanks everyone, for you thoughts and prayers. This morning's dive wasn't a lot of fun, and I suspect this afternoon's will be more of the same. I've developed some nausea, due in part to breathing pure oxygen and in part to being under pressure. The local pharmacist recommended some over-the-counter anti-nausea tabs that are a cousin to dramamine - I hope they help out.

Now I'm going to take a nap before I dive - I can't seem to sleep in the tank with that helmet on.
Sorry you aren't feeling so great KG, hope those pills help you on the next one.

Ya know, everytime I think about you in the tank with a helmet on I can't help but picture Sandy the squirrel from Sponge Bob.......LMAO!

KG - just saw this thread and am caught up with it. Glad to hear that the first few dives went okay. Sending you many thoughts and prayers that the rest of them go well! Hope the anti-nausea pills work. Best of luck to you also with your surgery!

How does this diving help you before surgery? This is very intriguing! I hope you got some sleep!

Just saw this thread today, hope things get easier for you KG. It does not sound like fun, I hope the surgury is not as bad as the preperation is.

dns2202 said:
How does this diving help you before surgery? This is very intriguing! I hope you got some sleep!
HBOT increases blood oxygenation by about 2000%. It increases white blood cell production, which is what I need, because white blood cells carry away bacteria and various viri. It also promotes the growth of new capillaries.

Because of my medical past, I am susceptible to something called radiation osteo necrosis - an inarrestable infection that can only be stopped by amputation.

Since the amputation of my jaw would severely impact the possibility of my appearance on American Idol, I opted for this recommended protocol.

Each dive is getting progressively easier, I suspect because I have less apprehension in knowing what I'm facing and that my body is also getting used to it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

I hope they recommended and you are allowed to take Bonine. Dramamine does absolutely NOTHING for me for nausea/motion sickness.

...and hope it gets better...

You may have said, but do you have to do this daily? If so, for how long?

Well, I'm not you. It's not Dramamine, which contains Dimenhydrinate. The drug I took is meclizine, which is an antihistamine and prevents nausea. And it worked.Two dives per day, 20 minutes to get down to depth, 1 hour at depth in 100% oxygen (wearing the helmet) and about a half an hour to come back up again.4 down, 26 to go, but who's counting?

I am so glad it worked. I would be counting each one until you're done!

<h2>1. What is hyberbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT)?</h2><p>HBOT is a medical treatment that involves breathing pure oxygen under pressurized conditions. This can increase blood oxygenation and promote capillary growth, aiding in the healing process.</p><h2>2. How is HBOT performed?</h2><p>HBOT is typically performed in a specialized chamber where the patient is exposed to increased atmospheric pressure. The chamber is not filled with 100% oxygen, but rather uses ambient air. Patients may wear a helmet or mask to deliver the oxygen.</p><h2>3. Why is HBOT being used in this specific case?</h2><p>The individual in question is undergoing HBOT in preparation for surgery later in the month. This therapy may help improve healing and recovery after the surgery.</p><h2>4. What are the restrictions inside the chamber during treatment?</h2><p>For safety reasons, no electronic devices, books, magazines, or printed materials are allowed inside the chamber. Inks and mechanical devices can release toxins under pressure, and there are also no toilets available inside the chamber.</p><h2>5. How long does a typical HBOT session last?</h2><p>The length of an HBOT session can vary, but a typical session may last a couple of hours. This may also depend on the specific condition being treated and the recommendation of a medical professional.</p>

1. What is hyberbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT)?

HBOT is a medical treatment that involves breathing pure oxygen under pressurized conditions. This can increase blood oxygenation and promote capillary growth, aiding in the healing process.

2. How is HBOT performed?

HBOT is typically performed in a specialized chamber where the patient is exposed to increased atmospheric pressure. The chamber is not filled with 100% oxygen, but rather uses ambient air. Patients may wear a helmet or mask to deliver the oxygen.

3. Why is HBOT being used in this specific case?

The individual in question is undergoing HBOT in preparation for surgery later in the month. This therapy may help improve healing and recovery after the surgery.

4. What are the restrictions inside the chamber during treatment?

For safety reasons, no electronic devices, books, magazines, or printed materials are allowed inside the chamber. Inks and mechanical devices can release toxins under pressure, and there are also no toilets available inside the chamber.

5. How long does a typical HBOT session last?

The length of an HBOT session can vary, but a typical session may last a couple of hours. This may also depend on the specific condition being treated and the recommendation of a medical professional.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
Replies
Views
SillyChef