• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Top Educational Software for 1st Grade Girls - Expert Reviews & Recommendations

all kinds of different things.We have VSmile also and it is great too- but Leapster is perfect for at home or on the go!
Jules711
Silver Member
Do you have any suggestions for educational software or educational devices (like v-tech/leapster, etc)? It would be for a girl just turning 6 (going into 1st grade) and she has nothing like this. She enjoys the computer for games and such, but just certain sites on the internet so far. Input would be MOST appreciated since my brain is starting to hurt after searching online. Thank you, thank you!!:sing:

We have two leapsters in our house one for my four year old and one for my six year old. Our six year old has had hers for a few years and has really outgrown it now. I have a friend who has a 6 year old son and he has a nintendo ds and they do have educational games for that. I would think that is a better way to go because it will grow with her and you will get your moneys worth out of it vs the leapster. I think 4 years old is a better age for getting the leapster.

My kids loved the LeapFrog videos. My son watched it twice and is not adding (age 5). If she isn't adding yet (which is often taught in first grade), I'd recommend the Math Circus video.The reading ones are probably below her already.

I need something that will encourage her to practice reading. She can read words, but doesn't always want to. She loves books, but of course it's easier to be read to. However, she loves the computer (so figure she'd like something handheld). She doesn't get a lot of time on the computer. I wouldn't mind even reviews for things you don't think are good. She's certainly not beyond her years when it comes to reading and such(she'll be turning 6 soon). She gives a lot more attention to art, which continues to impress us.

Have you done starfall.com?

Yes, that seems to be a favorite site of parents. I'm also looking for something that she can use when the internet isn't available to her.

bumping for anymore input :) Thank you!

Hooked on Phonics is the BEST. Esp if you want her to read more, it is very fun! It taught my 5 yr old to read in about a week...

As for video games, there is a newer Leapster unit out, for older kids, called a Didji. It is for ages 6 and up and the games are more advanced. In my experience, V Tech does not hold up as well as Leapster in terms of durability. My daughter had a V Tech V Smile and it lasted exactly a year before it went bad. All her Leapster stuff is going strong after more than 2 years. Also if you get a handheld game system, please do the parent a favor and get a plug in adaptor as well. The batteries really run low after a day and it gets expensive to replace. If you get the adaptor (usually about $10), they can just plug it in at home and sit and play.

Also, for computer games, the Jump Start series of games/educational learning games are GREAT.

It's actually for my daughter. So Hooked on Phonics...DVDs? Workbooks? A whole system? She's okay with workbooks, but the computer doesn't seem like work :). I must be a paper girl. But then when I was little, there weren't computer games so maybe that's why.

Thanks for the advice on software too b/c there are a ton of brands. I thought I'd get one from the library to test out.

My boys both have Leapsters, and they were great for encouraging them to do reading/math games. We have VSmile also and it is great too- but Leapster is perfect for at home or on the go! (I wasn't impressed with the VSmile portable games...but they may have improved them.) When we have to go somewhere or wait for awhile, we can grab the games. I know that they are educational and learning something- not just mind-numbing video games with no real purpose.There are LOTS of games available for them too...so future gift opportunities for you or family, too.

Jules711 said:
It's actually for my daughter. So Hooked on Phonics...DVDs? Workbooks? A whole system? She's okay with workbooks, but the computer doesn't seem like work :). I must be a paper girl. But then when I was little, there weren't computer games so maybe that's why.

Thanks for the advice on software too b/c there are a ton of brands. I thought I'd get one from the library to test out.

Hooked on Phonics has flash cards, workbooks, a CD to put in to follow along instructions and then a book they can read using the words that were learned in that particular lesson.

Yes, computer learning is "easier", but I wanted to be more hands on w/ my daughter. I feel if I put her in front of the computer it takes the one on one aspect out.

A lesson of HOP took about an hour for me, we did one about every other day and she was always so excited after the lesson to actually get to "read" a book on her own! I am going to get them for her for all the grades it goes through and I also bought her a HOP Learning Spanish edition that I am giving her for Christmas for only TEN BUCKS.

There's alot of good computer software out there, I'd say just make sure you get something age appropriate. And like I said earlier, the Jump Start series in my opinion is the best learning system out there. It adjusts the childs learning ability and advances from what they have mastered so they aren't repeating the same lessons. It stays challenging for them.

I'm mostly just trying to engage her a little more where she's learning but it's not like a punishment. I try to make the workbooks fun, but it doesn't seem to work. She actually sits on my lap during computer time so it's not about not helping her...just making it more fun for her. I would love to find the Leapster and cd's for cheap. Mostly in case she doesn't really use them.

We enjoyed the Jumpstart software for the computer. And Reader Rabbitt, don't know if Reader Rabbitt is still available but it is a fun reading program. The Blaster series are good as well.

What are the top educational software options for 1st grade girls?

The top educational software options for 1st grade girls include ABCmouse, Starfall, Reading Eggs, PBS Kids, and JumpStart. These programs offer a variety of learning activities and games that are specifically designed for young girls in the first grade.

What makes these software programs suitable for 1st grade girls?

These software programs are suitable for 1st grade girls because they have age-appropriate content and activities that align with the curriculum for this age group. They also have engaging and colorful graphics that appeal to young girls and make learning fun.

Are these programs safe for young children to use?

Yes, these programs are safe for young children to use. They have been designed with child safety in mind and have been tested for any potential risks. Additionally, many of these programs have parental controls and monitoring features to ensure a safe and secure learning environment.

Do these programs offer any assessments or progress tracking?

Yes, most of these programs offer assessments and progress tracking features. This allows parents and teachers to monitor the child's progress and identify areas where they may need extra help. It also helps to keep track of the child's learning and development over time.

Do these programs require any additional materials or equipment?

No, these programs do not require any additional materials or equipment. They can be accessed on a computer or tablet with an internet connection. Some programs may offer optional materials or physical books for an additional cost, but they are not necessary for using the software.

Back