• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ebay vs. Personal Service: The Benefits of Buying from Us

In summary, the caller said that it is cheaper to buy PC products on Ebay, and that the customer would rather buy it from someone on eBay than from you. You told the caller that buying PC products off Ebay doesn't come with a guarantee or personal service, and that she can earn the products for free by hosting. You also recommended that you keep in contact with the customer, send her a new season's catalog, and give her a break on shipping.
noelskitchen
I just had a call from someone who lives near me that they wanted to order the mini serving spatula. It's only $4.00. I told the lady there would be tax and direct shipping and or the shipping would be $4.25 if I added it to a show. She asked her husband and he said it's cheaper if they buy off Ebay. UGH!!!!! I explained to her that buying PC off Ebay doesn't come with a guarantee or personal service. She said thanks anyway and she would keep my name and number. I told her how she can earn the products for free by hosting, she said she would keep my number.

I know it's only $4 sale but she's a potential new customer. I have all her info. what should I do so that she remembers me, send a catalog, business card, host specials?

There are over $1,000's of PC products on Ebay.

I know it may sound funny but I keep alot of those on hand. I would have almost just given her one to draw her back! ;)

I know this is why HO doesn't allow us to sell on eBay. It is totally unfair for us to have to up against people that don't follow the rules. I hate having to charge $4.25 shipping + tax on small orders, but that is the way the structure is set up.

I can totally see it from the customers point of view. If she only wants the mini spatula, it is totally cheaper to buy it from someone on eBay.

noelskitchen said:
. I have all her info. what should I do so that she remembers me, send a catalog, business card, host specials?

I would definatley keep in contact with her. I send regular newsletters, so for someone like this, I would put them on my list. Also make sure she gets a new S/S catalog.

Keep her info but I too keep some stuff on hand just for that reason. :)

Lesson learned I guess. I'll have to order a couple. But I will definitely send her a new S/S catalog

I will combine several smaller orders and give them a break on shipping. I would call her back and tell her you can put it on a Show order (even if you can't) and order it from the Supply order to have several on-hand. You could lose a potential good customer from this. I had one customer I met in September at a fair booth that steadily buys $50-$100 per MONTH from me. In January, she placed two orders that added up to her being her own Catalog Show of $178. She is now "saving" to buy her next bunch of things. She has decided she is going to purchase all the Stoneware eventually! She thinks I am wonderful giving her free shipping and now she has a PHD for a year!

I agree you should keep in contact and get her the new season catalog. I'm not sure if I would go as far as buying one myself just to give it to her for free or less the shipping. But that is just me. I wouldn't want to set the precedent for people to EXPECT that I should buy them the small item. Now, if I have one on hand, that is another story... Does that make sense?

I would never charge a customer $4.25 for a $4. item. It goes against everything that is me. I keep mini-spatula's, orange peelers, season's bests & spices on hand for Farmer's Market's, etc, and I sell from there. If I did not, I would let her know when I have them again, or add to another order.

They still have to pay for shipping from Ebay and I bet it's close to ours. You can't predict what people will do - I had one person buy a Citrus Peeler online - $0.75 item and she paid over $7 with that $6 (at the time) shipping. Sounds like those people were just looking for a deal or they didn't understand how our company gets the products to us. I tell people that they can buy the whole catalog for that same $4.25 shipping when we add it to a party.

You also can't predict what people will want. It seems that no matter what you have they want the thing you dont but it doesn't hurt to get some of the door prize items on a supply order, they're like 40% off - I use them for door prizes, extra gift for host... and if someone local calls and just wants that small item I happen to have. I have been known to also buy little things for extra gifts (and stocking stuffers) at 40% off on kit enhancement month.

I had a customer order the paring knife set. I didn't want to double the price of her order just for shipping, so I added it onto another order that I had miscalculated and thought was over 60 and it wasn't. So I just charged her a dollar of the shipping and the other customer got her sprinkles I promised her and a dollar of shipping!

But I would add it on to another order and just charge the dollar for shipping. That way you are giving both customers a break!

Symara said:
I had a customer order the paring knife set. I didn't want to double the price of her order just for shipping, so I added it onto another order that I had miscalculated and thought was over 60 and it wasn't. So I just charged her a dollar of the shipping and the other customer got her sprinkles I promised her and a dollar of shipping!

But I would add it on to another order and just charge the dollar for shipping. That way you are giving both customers a break!

I do this. Add it to another order on a show.

Kinda on this subject. I just got an email from a food customer about the Heart Dish. She wants it but doesn't want to pay the $6+ for shipping on a $5 item. She wanted me to add it to a show. I can't!! Its online only! Sometimes this shipping thing really *(&^ me off!!!:mad:

Jewel said:
Kinda on this subject. I just got an email from a food customer about the Heart Dish. She wants it but doesn't want to pay the $6+ for shipping on a $5 item. She wanted me to add it to a show. I can't!! Its online only! Sometimes this shipping thing really *(&^ me off!!!:mad:

Would you rather PC just ate the cost of shipping, and then added it to the cost of products?

Seriously - shipping is the way it is because shippers (Fed-Ex, UPS, etc...) charge that much. Have you tried to ship something on your own lately? It's expensive! PC's shipping costs are actually low compared to a lot of online retailers!

ChefBeckyD said:
Would you rather PC just ate the cost of shipping, and then added it to the cost of products?

Seriously - shipping is the way it is because shippers (Fed-Ex, UPS, etc...) charge that much. Have you tried to ship something on your own lately? It's expensive! PC's shipping costs are actually low compared to a lot of online retailers!

Not at all Becky! I just wished that there was something I could do on small orders like this. I have given this particular customer free shipping many times in the last year but this time I feel that I can't do anything because of the online only special!

I do a monthly outlet order for my customers. They email me there wants and I put in an order. They come to pick it up. They are saving so they are happy (of course, I'm easy to get to so that helps). As for the spatula, I agree. Just offer to add it to another order and charge the $1 or nothing depending. I've done it where I add a small order or two to a close to $60 order and charge no s/h for the small orders, but the original order gets the free thing. I also have several of the smaller items on hand. People love that, but it's something that I do b/c I like it and can. Not everyone wants even a little inventory.I feel like anything under $10 should be combined. 50% s/h seems crazy and something they really just need that ONE thing.

Honestly I can't imagine ordering one thing for $4. Maybe it's just me but if I want to order something online, I expect to pay shipping so I order everything I could possibly need. That doesn't mean I break the bank and order hundreds of dollars of stuff but I try to make it work to my advantage. I ask my friends or family if there is anything they would like to order too so we can save on shipping or I try to order everything I need all at once so I don't pay a ridiculous amount for shipping. So instead of ordering a $4 item, I would order maybe $20-30 and the shipping isn't so bad.
Some people are just expecting you to do everything for them and give them a discount. It should never be expected but a nice treat. I had a customer like that who could care less if I go broke as long as she got everything as cheap as possible, so I had to put my foot down when it gets ridiculous.
My story: A customer asked me if I could replace her ancient cheese grater that she probably got from Doris herself. LOL It was old. I told her that the warranty was probably up. :rolleyes: She insisted I find out and I did.
She also informed me that maybe I should just replace it for her for FREE since she just had a show for me. I asked her why she didn't order one with her FPV or discount. She said it wasn't something she wanted at the time. I told her that I couldn't afford to buy her a new one and that it would cut into my commission which would defeat the purpose of the show she just had. Not in those exact words but I had to explain this to her s-l-o-w-l-y. She informed me that she would probably have to find a new consultant to help her on future purchases if I wouldn't buy her the cheese grater. BLACKMAIL :eek:
I said that I totally understood and it had been a pleasure working with her thus far. :yuck:
Well guess who called me 3 months ago to do a show? And guess who I told that I was booked, because honestly I was booked. I do shows as a hobby when I feel like it and if I really want something for myself or if I want the commission for something specific (surprise for hubby or kids). It was too much trouble working with her. It stressed me out and I usually don't get stressed out. She also lived about an hour from me!
So that's my horror story! You never know when you might encounter....
THE CHEAPSKATE HOST!!!
LOL

Debbie :chef:

We could also scare people and tell them that selling PC products on eBay is against our policy and probably really soon those consultants will be caught and released from their contracts. So they may never see their products that they ordered!! :eek:

That's always a concern I hear from people wary of eBay.
"How can I be sure I'll get my stuff?"

"You can't, with these rebellious rogue consultants who don't care about company policy! So watch out!" LOL

Debbie :D

great story Debbie - you handled her very well!

Good thought Debbie. My kids and dog were making noise in the background and I was even in another room. I could barely hear her on the phone. I'm going to send her a catalog and I wanted to send her a note but not sure what to say.

My mom once complained to me about shipping. I asked her how much it costs to ship a box the size of a PC one from her workplace. She said, probably $40 if it weighs anything. I said, so when I have a party & only 6 people order, who comes out ahead? :D

noelskitchen said:
Good thought Debbie. My kids and dog were making noise in the background and I was even in another room. I could barely hear her on the phone. I'm going to send her a catalog and I wanted to send her a note but not sure what to say.

Hello XXXXX,

This is Noel, the Pampered Chef consultant you spoke to, and I wanted to give you some good news. I found a way to add your order for the mini serving spatula to other small orders to save you on shipping costs. I typically don't do this because then customers whose orders are combined are not able to get an individual receipt. Individual receipts are necessary for warranties and returns. But with your permission I can go ahead and do this. I try really hard to provide the best customer service to every one of my customers and that includes you. I hope to be your pampered chef consultant for any future purchases or if you choose to book a show. If you look at page XX of the catalog, you will be able to see all of the wonderful benefits that hosts can earn when they host a show. Please give me a call at your convenience so that I can place that order for you. Thank you so much and have a great day!"

Debbie :D

Found this add on Amazon today. This has got to be a consultant. Have no idea how to go about reporting it. Wondering how much in sales this person does as a result? You can do a search for cookware and find it.

$398.99
+ $18.99shipping
LOW ITEM PRICE
New Seller: everything-new
Rating:96% positive over the past 12 months (145 ratings.) 175 lifetime ratings.
Shipping: In Stock. Ships from FL, United States Expedited shipping available See Shipping Rates
Comments: Brand new Direct from Pampered Chef. This is a great 5 piece stainless steel set. Lifetime guarantee from pampered Chef. Exceed your expectations. This is the perfect set to introduce you to the amazing results you can achieve with stainless cookware. Includes 4 qt covered casserole, 2 qt covered saucepan and 10" saute pan. Casserole and saucepan include measure marks and glass lids. Buy with confidence I only sell new Pampered Chef Products. Just a wonderful 5 piece set of stainless steel cookware. The set includes a 2 quart covered saucepan, a 4 quart covered sauce pan and a 10 inch skillet. No ice cream pass just a lifetime guarantee from the Pampered Chef.

Make a screen shot of the page and send it with a link to the page to [email protected], with "web violation" as part of the subject line.

flemings99 said:
Found this add on Amazon today. This has got to be a consultant. Have no idea how to go about reporting it. Wondering how much in sales this person does as a result? You can do a search for cookware and find it.

$398.99
+ $18.99shipping
LOW ITEM PRICE
New Seller: everything-new
Rating:96% positive over the past 12 months (145 ratings.) 175 lifetime ratings.
Shipping: In Stock. Ships from FL, United States Expedited shipping available See Shipping Rates
Comments: Brand new Direct from Pampered Chef. This is a great 5 piece stainless steel set. Lifetime guarantee from pampered Chef. Exceed your expectations. This is the perfect set to introduce you to the amazing results you can achieve with stainless cookware. Includes 4 qt covered casserole, 2 qt covered saucepan and 10" saute pan. Casserole and saucepan include measure marks and glass lids. Buy with confidence I only sell new Pampered Chef Products. Just a wonderful 5 piece set of stainless steel cookware. The set includes a 2 quart covered saucepan, a 4 quart covered sauce pan and a 10 inch skillet. No ice cream pass just a lifetime guarantee from the Pampered Chef.

Why couldn't it be someone who knows that they can host a show and get those products half price, then turn around and sell it on E-bay for full price? They know that there are alot of people who will pay anything thinking it's a good deal just because it's on ebay. They could make a killing doing it like that! Yes, still could be a consultant too.

If it's not a Consultant, they could not give a "guarantee" with it. Technically it doesn't matter what the person says, they cannot give a "guarantee" from PC unless the person has bought it in the buyer's name...

What are the benefits of buying from Pampered Chef instead of Ebay?

When you buy from Pampered Chef, you can be sure that you are getting a high-quality product that is backed by our satisfaction guarantee. Our items are also brand new and come directly from the manufacturer, unlike items on Ebay which may be used or counterfeit.

Are the prices on Ebay lower than buying from Pampered Chef?

While some items on Ebay may be listed at a lower price, these items may not be genuine Pampered Chef products. Additionally, buying directly from Pampered Chef allows you to take advantage of any current promotions or discounts.

Is it safe to purchase from Ebay?

Ebay is a popular online marketplace, but it is important to be cautious when making purchases. There is a risk of receiving damaged or counterfeit products, and there is no guarantee or customer support from the seller. When you buy from Pampered Chef, you can trust that you will receive a genuine product and have access to our excellent customer service.

Do you offer any perks or rewards for buying directly from Pampered Chef?

Yes, we offer a rewards program for our loyal customers. When you purchase directly from Pampered Chef, you can earn points towards free products and receive exclusive offers and promotions.

Can I return a product bought from Ebay to Pampered Chef?

No, we only accept returns for products purchased directly from us. If you have any issues with a product bought from Ebay, you will need to contact the seller for their return policy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jst4467
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • mspibb
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
mspibb
  • jenapc