• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

PC Products on eBay: Unfair Pricing or Justified Savings?

In summary, this person said that they would normally buy PC products from Ebay, but they thought they would give a real rep a chance to buy from them instead. The rep said that they can't afford to sell the products at eBay prices, and that most of the stuff is either from free or something. The person said that this is a sad thing and that HO should do something about it.
spoiledchef
Okay, it really bothers me to no end when I see PC products on eBay. And -- what REALLY upsets me is when people want me to give them the same deal. I'm sorry, but I can't afford to sell the products at eBay prices. Most of the stuff I see on eBay HAD to be EARNED for free or something. One seller is selling lots of the new spring/summer products INCLUDING the Executive saute' pan.

What do you all think? Are you just as bothered by this? Why doesn't HO do something about it? I'm sure, together with eBay, they could stop the selling of PC products on that site. Sorry...had to vent.

This is an ongoing problem and there is no simple solution. I'm not sure there's a legal way or reason to block sales of any Pampered Chef product on eBay. We all agree to not sell on eBay but some people don't care.

This has been pretty well discussed in several threads, including:

Ebay auctions

and in that thread, it references this one, too:

New Spring on ebay!

IMHO, a few short-sighted and self centered directors & consultants are hurting all the rest of us and worse, they rationalize their actions and just don't give a rip about the rest of us.

At one show that I did, one of the guests was mentioning that she was going to buy a pizza stone from Ebay, because it was half the price. I overheard her and asked her, point blank
"What makes Pampered Chef a great company?"
She didn't know how to answer and I said
"It's customer service is awesome. We have a guarantee that is second to none. When you order a stone from me, and decide after a couple of weeks that you don't like it, Pampered Chef will refund your money and pay the shipping to return it. And if your stone breaks within 3 years, they will send you a new one! Your ebay seller can't give you that. I think that the peace of mind you get with PC's warranty is more than worth the $20 you'll save buying on Eaby."
She hadn't given any thought to the fact that once that stone left the ebay sellers hands, she was on her own. If it arrived broken, too bad. If it cracked the first time she used it, too bad.
She ended up purchasing the stone from me and even ended up hosting a show!

ebay..This is truly a sad thing and happens to most all of the DSA's. I had heard they were working on a way to stop it, but as far as I've seen it continues to still go on :(

spoiledchef said:
Okay, it really bothers me to no end when I see PC products on eBay. And -- what REALLY upsets me is when people want me to give them the same deal. I'm sorry, but I can't afford to sell the products at eBay prices. Most of the stuff I see on eBay HAD to be EARNED for free or something. One seller is selling lots of the new spring/summer products INCLUDING the Executive saute' pan.

What do you all think? Are you just as bothered by this? Why doesn't HO do something about it? I'm sure, together with eBay, they could stop the selling of PC products on that site. Sorry...had to vent.

To be honest, I don't spend much time worrying about what is going on over on Ebay. I have surfed around just for curiousity and discovered that in most cases the products are at least as much, if not more, than what we charge. Plus, shipping is usually much higher. Plus, the customer has no recourse if something breaks in the mail. Plus, they don't get the warranty. I have yet to have a customer mention it, but if they did, I would certainly stress those points. And then I would let it go!

Love+
Rachel

The only thing HO can do is contact consultants directly to have them stop. Technically, outside of the consultant agreement, it's perfectly legal for ANYONE to sell PC products on EBay. Ebay has no reason to try and stop it because regardless of how it affect the PC company, EBAY makes it's fees off the products that sell and so they don't really care either way.

I just stole an EBAY customer!!I had someone on another forum ask for a PC rep to buy a bunch of stuff from. I responded!! She said that she would normally buy from Ebay but thought she would give a real rep first crack at it. She asked me to meet their prices, I can't do that!!! :rolleyes:
She showed me her list from the last time she ordered from Ebay and no way could I meet that!! I stressed the warranties and customer service! I told her that I would come as close as I could. I am working my butt off to get this customer!!! I am giving her all of my commission from the sale!! I won't be able to do this everytime, but I am hoping for the opportunity to become her consultant for life!! Her current order is like $265 right now!! :D

I am so thrilled to steal an Ebay customer that I will bend over backwards for this lady!! On the other hand if she takes advantage, I will send her right back!! :eek:

She even might want to sign on as a consultant!! If she chooses that, I might need a rep to refer her to. I don't have a team because I choose not to. I could feesibly send her to my 'director' (I use the word loosely). Since I have only met my director once in over 3 years, I am not feeling the love to give her a new recruit!! :p

stephanieboyd said:
I had someone on another forum ask for a PC rep to buy a bunch of stuff from. I responded!! She said that she would normally buy from Ebay but thought she would give a real rep first crack at it. She asked me to meet their prices, I can't do that!!! :rolleyes:
She showed me her list from the last time she ordered from Ebay and no way could I meet that!! I stressed the warranties and customer service! I told her that I would come as close as I could. I am working my butt off to get this customer!!! I am giving her all of my commission from the sale!! I won't be able to do this everytime, but I am hoping for the opportunity to become her consultant for life!! Her current order is like $265 right now!! :D

I am so thrilled to steal an Ebay customer that I will bend over backwards for this lady!! On the other hand if she takes advantage, I will send her right back!! :eek:

She even might want to sign on as a consultant!! If she chooses that, I might need a rep to refer her to. I don't have a team because I choose not to. I could feesibly send her to my 'director' (I use the word loosely). Since I have only met my director once in over 3 years, I am not feeling the love to give her a new recruit!! :p

Stephanie -- I had that SAME lady. I don't mind if she chooses you b/c I'm not willing to give up my commission OR sell stuff at the rates she was getting. However, I also didn't like the fact that she made it seem like her past orders were from a "legit" PC rep and NOT from eBay. If I'd known all along she had bought off of eBay, I may have had other thoughts. :D

But -- good luck with her. I'm sure she won't CHOOSE me b/c I let her know I figured out she had bought from an eBayer, and there was no way I'd meet or try to meet those ridiculous prices. I haven't been in the business long enough to be giving away my stuff yet. ;)

She is becoming a pain!!! Asking a thousand questions about her total price, not willing to do anything to boost a show total, and I am giving her every dime I would make on it!!!!
She is ordering tons of stones though!!! 9 so far!!! And she got a ton from Ebay before!! She says she did have a real consultant at one time, but can't get a hold of her. She has a broken stone that should be going back, but since she can't find her 'receipt' or 'consultant' she doesn't want to call HO. Fine by me, she has to pay for another one!!! Even though I am not making anything on it, it serves her right for ordering from Ebay!!

stephanieboyd said:
She is becoming a pain!!! Asking a thousand questions about her total price, not willing to do anything to boost a show total, and I am giving her every dime I would make on it!!!!
She is ordering tons of stones though!!! 9 so far!!! And she got a ton from Ebay before!! She says she did have a real consultant at one time, but can't get a hold of her. She has a broken stone that should be going back, but since she can't find her 'receipt' or 'consultant' she doesn't want to call HO. Fine by me, she has to pay for another one!!! Even though I am not making anything on it, it serves her right for ordering from Ebay!!

LOL! I offered to turn her order into a show for her, but I guess that wasn't enough of a "bribe" or "deal" for her. Oh well, no skin off my back b/c my commission is barely enough for me, much less her. LOL!

Good luck w/her. I'm sure I won't hear back from her b/c I caller her out on buying from eBay and expecting the same from me.

BTW...do you mean you're giving her your commission by just placing the order at a discount?

OH NO!! I am trying to turn her order into a show as well. She is very unwilling to 'invite' anyone else. I am paying the difference from what my commission will be!! Then of course, host benefits if it turns into a show! I think I have explained the benefits well enough to get her to invite others to her catalog show.

*sniff* *sniff* *sniff*

I smell something here.

I think you two have been had ~ and I suspect you've just supplied an ebay reseller with grey market product.

Not meI haven't been had b/c I'm not helping her. I tried, but she's asking a bit way too much from me. I'm not giving my commission to anyone...not even family. Sorry, can't make money that way. At least not me.

i have to agree with Kitchen Guy. she sounds way to fishy...i think she is just going to re-sell it and make a bigger profit!! live and learn....jmo!!

Over the years, I've developed a pretty strong bull*$#! meter. There just comes a point where you have to walk away from some people. I hate to turn down business, OTOH, why invest time into something that's going to have negative return?

She'll keep shopping for a consultant until she finds one dumb enough to help her out.

Last edited:
eBay ladyYou can check her selling history to see if she's a seller herself. Sounds to me like that's what she's doing. No one that I know (unless they're filthy rich) would buy 9 stones at one time. Plus those are a hot item on eBay in case anyone has looked recently. I am an eBay fanatic (been eBaying since '99) and I often check the PC products to see what they're going for. Like someone said before, most times items are going for WAY over what people would pay at a show, not just because of the price itself, but in shipping. People will rip you on shipping. That would be my line of defence against customers asking about eBay. They pay just as much (maybe plus or minus a few bucks) and get no guarantee in return. Hope it all works out for you, but I wouldn't work too hard for that woman, sounds like she is trying to take advantage of your kindness.

~Kristen :cool:

P.S. Just to clear up any ideas about me and eBay, I would NEVER sell PC on eBay just for the simple fact that I don't have any products I want to part with and it would be way too much work for not a lot in return...the biggest thing would be the possibility of losing the business that I LOVE! ;)

Last edited:
As I was reading I thought the same as Kitchenguy. This is a scam. Do what your gut tells you to do. If you think she's legit then sell to her, but she's an ebayer and will problably turn them to make a profit. Just my thoughts.

If something seems like it's too good to be true - it is.

I too would never sell PC on E-bay, but I must say that compared to other direct sales companies PC has the least product on there that I have seen. That makes me think that they have more loyal consultants than the others. PC seems to be a very fair company and let's hope their consultants can be the same way.

Cheers,
Emma

stephanieboyd said:

How do you know that she won't take the stones you sell her and sell them on e-bay!! Maybe that is what she is doing. Getting a GREAT rate and then selling them??

Sorry I'm new at this!!I guess I should've read the sencond page first--Sorry. I just signed up In January and just found Chef Succes a couple week ago!! GREAT SITE!! :)

If YOU KNOWOf someone doing that, you should just send the info to HO......
Oh, I KNOW that when I first started and even BEFORE I had all my stuff, I was soooo excited, I put an ad on my Yacht Clubs members only page and included the website link, well sure enough 2 weeks later I get an email from HO telling me to take it down, etc.....THAT WAS BEFORE I KNEW BETTER.....AND there was another Ad out there that they told me about (and honestly I FORGOT about it....) but sure enough, bam I'm getting an Email....

So if someone can turn ME in and I'm not selling anything, just advertising and didn't know any better, then TURN THEM IN......That is what YOU can do to help the cause.....

Simple as that.....HO can't do it all.....so take the info, send it to HO and let them deal with it......

I agree, I think that it shouldn't be allowed, it does hurt our business, but have you seen the shipping COSTS? It is ridiculous......

Well, I have vented now....sorry....:eek:

You may be able to buy products at a cheaper price on Ebay - but have you checked out the shipping prices?? That is where they are making their money. Even if you get a stone for a couple of dollars off - by the time you pay $8.00 shipping - you are MUCH better off going through a consultant because you get the warranty too.

NOW - I will pick up items at garage sales (for my personal use) Those are usually much cheaper and there isn't any shipping.

Where do you get the info to report these people on ebay? It kills me to see things selling for more than we would sell--and people think they are getting it cheaper. I want to put up a "listing" that says "YOU ARE PAYING TOO MUCH ON EBAY FOR PAMPERED CHEF". I have to figure out a way. Let's get 'em!

you could always send messages to the folks that are bidding. You may even get some sales like that.

When someone tells me they can get it cheaper on ebay, the first thing I tell them is about the warentee!!

One thing I do is when I sell things on ebay (Non PC of course) I always put a "Check out my website www.pc.biz/XXX" sticker next to the return address label. Actually I do this with almost all mail that I send out whether it's PC related or not. This is one way to advertise your website and when I'm shipping things all over the US who knows if someone might actually go onto my website and order, or book a catalog show, or become a consultant. You never know!!

TANSTAAFL.

It's an acronym: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

That's what I tell the "I can get it cheaper on ebay" crowd. When you end up paying more for shipping than you paid for the product, where is the savings? And, if it breaks, who is going to help you get it replaced? TPC offers a great warranty and great customer service but only through indepedent consultants.

As an example, I've got a dead computer here that needs a power supply. I've been watching ebay, and identical used systems have been selling for about 1/3 to 1/2 of what a power supply costs, so I've been trying to purchase an identical system to cannabalize for parts. I paid more yesterday for one system than for a nearly identical one, but paid less overall because of shipping costs.

The second guy offered shipping charges that must have been for overnight on the space shuttle. I bet he auctionsTPC on the side. ;)

I don't have enough disposable income to throw away on disposible merchandise.

Love this!

AJPratt said:
I don't have enough disposable income to throw away on disposible merchandise.

Love this!
TY. Use it in good health at shows when someone says, "Your stuff is SO expensive."

Well HO is on top of things... i had a new consultant list on ebay.. not sure what or if she was just advertising but got an email that was sent to her... re: going against contract.... so.. they are somehow on top of things at HO re: ebayers....

I wouldn't suggest contacting the bidders on an auction of Pampered Chef stuff because that is against ebay rules on so many levels! I was selling some old Tupperware (I'm not a consultant, was guilted into it by my sister) that I never used on ebay and apparently another seller was e-mailing my bidders saying that the bidder could get it cheaper from them at their website, etc. etc. After more than one bidder e-mailed me stating this, I found out that this is against the rules, I turned the other seller in for interfering with my listing. The other ebayer was suspended. Other ways this is not allowed:
-Members are not permitted to email buyers in an open or completed transaction to warn them away from a seller or item.
-Members are not allowed to interfere with another member's transaction.
-eBay prohibits email offers to buy or sell listed items outside of the eBay Web site.
I in no way support the sale of PC on ebay, but I also was very put off by the Tupperware lady's e-mails to the bidders. I'm just giving a warning to you so you don't get your account limited or suspended because of this. I also warn you that too aggressive e-mails tend to scare customers away and they will likely tell the seller, as in my case. Good luck, ladies! Ahem...and gentlemen.

i emailed about 15 people bidding on pc stuff on ebay to tell them there wasnt a warrenty. i didnt get into trouble but got 4 orders..........lucky i guess

wow, i didn't get anything except an "ok, I'll keep that in mind"

Thanks, Kitchen Guy!

I don't think the HO is staying on top of it at all. Look at all of the friggan ebay stores, with Host and Guest specials!

And furthermore...With as much of an eye they kept on links to our websites, they should watch the cosultants with ebay.:rolleyes:

wow, that is great pcpowers! I had considered doing the same but I just got so angry with the other lady about the Tupperware since I was just trying to unload my personal overstock that I can see how some people get attacked when they are trying to do the same thing I was but with PC. But some of the sellers have like a hundred things on there! Unless they are loaded, I'm pretty sure those weren't pity purchases like mine!! LOL

I have noticed that the ebay sellers seem to change pretty often. Like I remember there being a stacy sells lots on there and luvcookbooks or something like that but they are gone and there are new ones. I think it is new consultants that try to sell and get caught but there are always new ones to try it before getting caught.

"Sorry to bother you, but do you know that you could purchase the Pampered Chef Exec. Saute Pan with a LIFETIME GUARANTEE for only 38.00 plus shipping and tax? I just wanted to let you know. I am a Pampered Chef consultant. If you would like my website, I would be happy to assist you with any purchases or any questions you may have about any of our products!!"

Things like this is what I have been putting on my messages to people bidding. This auction was already up to 26.00 on bids with 12. in shipping!!! I couldn't resist. I did have one lady email me back and ask for my website. So, we will see.

Does anyone know how many messages we are allowed. Has anyone went over a limit or anything. just wondering, I tried to send one, and it gave me an error message.:( !!

I think latetly that ebay has been having some issues because I get alot of error messages when I'm doing my (non PC) ebay stuff and I just what a little while and then it usually works.

maryhenderlite said:
Does anyone know how many messages we are allowed. Has anyone went over a limit or anything. just wondering, I tried to send one, and it gave me an error message.:( !!
If you're talking private messages on here, I believe the limit is 50 total in the inbox and outbox.

For posting on threads, there is no top end limit that I know of. On a different board that I subscribe to, that uses this same vBulletin software, there are users over 50,000 posts. There was some heartburn when the first user hit 50k because vBulletin burped, but that's been fixed and it doesn't look like anyone is in any immenant danger of running into that barricade here.

Ya know, I don't mind if people are selling "vintage" PC products, btu definately not current products.

confused
maryhenderlite said:
"Sorry to bother you, but do you know that you could purchase the Pampered Chef Exec. Saute Pan with a LIFETIME GUARANTEE for only 38.00 plus shipping and tax? I just wanted to let you know. I am a Pampered Chef consultant. If you would like my website, I would be happy to assist you with any purchases or any questions you may have about any of our products!!"

Things like this is what I have been putting on my messages to people bidding. This auction was already up to 26.00 on bids with 12. in shipping!!! I couldn't resist. I did have one lady email me back and ask for my website. So, we will see.

I tried this yesterday, there were pink cutting boards going for 14.95 each, not including shipping. I got an email back from a lady who said she was a PC consultant and that I could get in trouble for trying to sell on ebay. But I wasn't trying to sell on ebay, I was just trying to help people from spending a fortune and steal them away from the people that sell on ebay. And if this woman was a PC consultant, why was she trying to buy things off of ebay?

Is it against PC rules to steal people from ebay?

ChefJesssica said:
I tried this yesterday, there were pink cutting boards going for 14.95 each, not including shipping. I got an email back from a lady who said she was a PC consultant and that I could get in trouble for trying to sell on ebay. But I wasn't trying to sell on ebay, I was just trying to help people from spending a fortune and steal them away from the people that sell on ebay. And if this woman was a PC consultant, why was she trying to buy things off of ebay?

Is it against PC rules to steal people from ebay?

That is an excellent question. Why on earth was she buying off of ebay?? When if she really wanted it, she could put it in someone else's name and receive commission on it!!! She apparently doesn't think much. I would rather purchase an item, use one of my good customers (there are some that don't mind at all) as the host, or guest, and then receive my sales, and commission.. Oh well, her loss!!!

Check this outhttp://cgi.ebay.com/Pampered-Chef-Gift-Certificate-150-w-catalog-FREE-S-H_W0QQitemZ4462888832QQcategoryZ20651QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemNow I don't know if that will work or not, but the listing number is ... Item number: 4462888832 That is amazing!!Then she is selling cookbooks too..

Mary, you should send that link to Field Services. I can't, I'm in Canada.

Seriously? What would they do, there are sooo many people on ebay selling PC. I was on there earlier, and there are the HWC plate and cup (this one person split it up, selling 1 plate and 1 cup, has 3 listed) Then I saw the skillet (exec.) and lid (prob pan o rama) and all the other cookware listed. I couldn't tell ya how many bbq sets there were. PC says they are cracking down, but to me, there are even more on there, and one time I even sent a message to one person, asking how they got away from it, and he/she said they wasn't a consultant (the stuff they had wasn't even out yet (had to be sample) well, maybe their spouse or partner, neighbor... someone was.. How does PC keep track, they just can't.. OH well, that is my 2 cents, (and vent time!!haha)

Well, when they're selling gift certificates that's NOT a customer. It doesn't hurt to email field services with the link and it may just help! They do look into any and all complaints from what I've heard on other boards.

That person is wasting time, Buy it now $140.00 for a $150.00 gift Come on!! Wait a minute, dont you have to have at least $150 to stay active??? You know that this person is a consultant...

I had a girl reply to one of my messages ENCOURAGING me to sell on ebay. She said she just sells under her daughter in law's name and sells the small things. She said she makes a fortune. I couldn't believe she was ENCOURAGING me! (I wish I had saved the email, it was too crazy)

I sent the both of the links into Field Service. I hope he/she gets kicked out of Pampered Chef!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Bobby
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • kitchenqueen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • hmolah