• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Easy Meal Planning for DH's Busy Travel Schedule

In summary, this person's husband is going to be traveling a lot for work and will need some ideas for quick breakfasts, lunches on the go that may have to go without refrigeration, and dinners for one. They have provided some ideas, but the person would like to hear more recommendations.
NooraK
Gold Member
I need some help figuring out breakfast, lunch and dinner suggestions for DH. He has just started a new job, and it involves traveling during the week. He will leave home around 5:30 AM on Monday morning and get home on Friday afternoon. Each day, he moves from one location to another. His employer is paying for his travel costs (providing him a van and paying the gas etc) and his hotels, but he's on his own for food.

He will be on the road by 5:30 AM each morning, so he usually misses the breakfast provided by any hotel he may stay at. He does have the ability to pick his own hotels, so we can look for ones with refrigerators and other amenities. I'm thinking I can pack certain things for him in a cooler, but I'm not sure whether he'd be able to refreeze the cold packs after the first night.

This amount of travel seems to be an ongoing thing, so I am contemplating purchasing a second DCB for him to take with him, or another piece of stoneware he could use the same way (suggestions?). One problem would be that the microwaves in many hotels would not be large enough, but I'm not opposed to investing in one that he can take with him since he will be driving a van. Even the cost of that will quickly outweigh the cost of constantly eating out.

So, I need suggestions for quick breakfasts, lunches on the go that may have to go without refrigeration, and dinners for one, all with limited tools and appliances.

You've probably thought of these, but here goes:

Breakfast: (if he likes oatmeal)
Oatmeal w/Apple Sprinkles (instant in a pinch)
Oatmeal and fruit bars (check allrecipes.com for recipe ideas)
Granola (cereal, fruits & nuts) -can be eaten as snack or as cereal
Homemade Chex Mix for snacking
Dried fruts for snacking

If he has access to refrigeration: biscuits that he can reheat in micro, breakfast casserole, eggs cooked in microwave

Lunch/Dinner:
Canned soup in small micro cooker & sandwich(es)

Sausage links & bread or flour tortillas to make a rollup; condiments optional

Coffee maker - can use to get water hot for instant soup, cocoa or oatmeal, as well as coffee.

Mini baker - to make mini breakfast casserole in or brownies from a packet (not a box) for a quick dessert

Homemade hamburger or turkey burger patties - precooked at home, frozen and refrigerated on the road; add condiments and bread or buns

the downside to stones washing them in tiny bathroom sinks

probably not desirable but I'd go to Ihop or dennys fairly inexpensive and large portions
otherwise stores have bbq and homestyle meals in the meat case maybe he can heat those in microwave

honestly don't think that the dcb would fit in any of the microwaves that may be provided in a hotel. micro cooker is your better bet.hotels will have ice machines so you don't have to worry about refreezing the ice packs during the week.cook up some grilled chicken, slice it so for the first two days he can make himself a grilled chicken wrap.if he is staying in a hotel that provides breakfast, but has to leave before the food goes out, I would have him talk to the front desk to see if they could accommodate him in any way.

chefa, thank you so much for all the great ideas.

Teresa Lynn said:
the downside to stones washing them in tiny bathroom sinks

Very good point.

doughmama said:
honestly don't think that the dcb would fit in any of the microwaves that may be provided in a hotel. micro cooker is your better bet.

hotels will have ice machines so you don't have to worry about refreezing the ice packs during the week.

cook up some grilled chicken, slice it so for the first two days he can make himself a grilled chicken wrap.

if he is staying in a hotel that provides breakfast, but has to leave before the food goes out, I would have him talk to the front desk to see if they could accommodate him in any way.

I'm so in love with the DCB that I sometimes forget about the other options. :) Good point about the ice, I hadn't even thought about that (just goes to show how long its been since I've been in a hotel).

Thank you so much for the suggestions, they will be a great help in planning next week!

tHERE are also coolers that you plug in to the car charger and they stay cold (do not leave them plugged in overnight they will drain the battery!) My dad takes his in to the hotel overnight -- i think they plug in to the wall as well

I'd suggest the Rice Cooker also..I found a consultant's website who had so much posted on that you could cook in it..I found it while trying to help a truck driver find something he could buy/use in his rig. Let me see if I can find her site again. I bought a new computer and bookmarked it on the old one (and forgot to import bookmarks)

Found it! http://rheespieces.blogspot.com/p/rice-cooker-plus-use-these-with-caution.html

minirottie said:
Found it!

http://rheespieces.blogspot.com/p/rice-cooker-plus-use-these-with-caution.html

Thanks!:thumbup:

Though I feel compelled to point out that listing oneself as a consultant on a blog is a no-no...

For stones, I'd recommend the mini baker or ridged baker for travel. He can have grilled chicken and the clean up in a small sink shouldn't be too bad. Use travel kitchen brush for ridges.

I like the idea of the rice cooker best. Lightweight, durable and many options for meals.

NooraK said:
Thanks!:thumbup:

Though I feel compelled to point out that listing oneself as a consultant on a blog is a no-no...

LOL...I know :)

1. How do I plan meals for my husband's busy travel schedule?

Meal planning for a busy travel schedule can seem overwhelming, but with a few simple tips it can become a stress-free process. First, try to plan meals that are easy to make, such as slow cooker meals or one-pan dishes. This will save you time in the kitchen. Additionally, consider making larger batches of food that can be frozen and reheated for future meals. Lastly, don't be afraid to utilize convenience foods like pre-cut veggies or pre-cooked proteins to save time and effort.

2. My husband has dietary restrictions. How can I accommodate them while meal planning?

When planning meals for a spouse with dietary restrictions, it's important to communicate and work together. Discuss any specific restrictions or preferences and plan meals accordingly. You can also try finding recipes that can easily be adapted to fit their needs by substituting ingredients or making slight modifications.

3. How far in advance should I plan meals for my husband's travel schedule?

It's best to plan meals at least a week in advance to give yourself enough time to shop for ingredients and prepare any make-ahead meals. However, if your husband's travel schedule is constantly changing, you may need to plan on a shorter timeline, such as 2-3 days in advance.

4. What are some quick and easy meal ideas for when my husband is home from traveling?

For nights when your husband is home from traveling and you want to spend more time together rather than in the kitchen, consider making simple yet satisfying meals like grilled sandwiches, tacos, or stir-fry. These meals can be customized to individual preferences and are quick to prepare.

5. How can I involve my husband in meal planning for his travel schedule?

Involving your husband in meal planning can help ensure that his preferences and needs are taken into account. You can ask for his input on meals he enjoys, have him help with grocery shopping, or even have him prepare some meals in advance for his travels. This can also be a great way to spend time together and lighten the load for you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
lt1jane
Replies
Views
SassyCook
  • sailortena
  • National Conferences and Meetings