• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Is everyone okay after the nearby earthquake?

In summary, Noora had already checked on me on FB, so I figured I'd update here too. We just had a 7.0 earthquake near Okinawa. It rattled the house for at least a full minute, enough to make my husband panic & run for the kids. But nothing fell or broke in my house. Other friends on FB are reporting that things did fall & break in their houses, but no injuries to me or my family and so far none of my friends hurt either. A few have broken items, but that seems to be the worst thus far. I've been here 3.5 years and it's the biggest and longest that I've felt thus far.
Sheila
Gold Member
Noora had already checked on me on FB, so I figured I'd update here too. We just had a 7.0 earthquake near Okinawa. It rattled the house for at least a full minute, enough to make my husband panic & run for the kids. But nothing fell or broke in my house. Other friends on FB are reporting that things did fall & break in their houses, but no injuries to me or my family and so far none of my friends hurt either. A few have broken items, but that seems to be the worst thus far. I've been here 3.5 years and it's the biggest and longest that I've felt thus far.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010teb2.html#details

So glad you're okay...thanks for checking in here.

Glad you're okay. Thanks for letting us know.

Wow. Definitely glad you and your friends are safe! Praying minimal injuries in general.

yikes! glad everyone is okay!

I'm glad you're ok!

Thanks ladies! Now the task of getting our 2 year old back in bed .... :rolleyes:

Seems I happened to be in the cafe with the TV at just the right time :)

LOLHubby got our 2 year old to lay back down - but he had to go lay on the guest bed in her room. I'm going to try to get a bit more sleep while I can! I was up until 1, then the earthquake 4 hours later ... and I have a show today! Maybe I can catch 1-2 more hours of sleep before the kids are awake for the day. ;)

glad everyone is ok. I think I am the last one to hear the news on anything

Thank God..and thank you for posting this for all of us..I know that you and I have not chatted really..but as soon as my sister saw it online and read it..I thought of you.

Awe, thanks for thinking of me Heidi! That's so sweet!!! :D

So glad that you and your family are all right and didn't substain any damage!

Glad you're okay. I'm hearing about the quake in Chile, but not Okinawa.

Sheila, are you under a tsunami watch? I read in a news article how there's lots of countries under a tsunami watch. But it's stemming from the earthquake in Chile. I haven't heard of the earthquake in Okinawa hitting the news yet.

It was on CNN until the Chile earthquake trumped ours! LOL Ours was 7.0, the same as Haiti, but since it was 53 miles off the coast (vs. 10 miles like in Haiti) and it was 13-14 miles deep, we did not sustain damage like they did. It was enough to wake people from sleeping at 5:30 AM, but no injuries that I know of. I did have a few friends who said that they had things break in their homes. I'm in military housing & it's built out of concrete, so we had our blinds rattle some but all the photos stayed put as did objects on our tables.

I remember earthquakes in Japan...rattled stuff, but only really scared me once!! I was in a 6.9 in Seattle about 9 years ago, that one terrified me!

I found about all of this only a couple hours ago and like Heidi, the first thing I thought of was you Sheila! I'm glad you and your family is safe! Please keep us posted here!

You're the reason I got on CS this afternoon. Now, I can go back to making Host Packets, knowing you're OK... I pray all of your recruits on the base are OK too!

(Funny... I lived in So. Florida from 1985 until 2005 and lived through a lot of hurricanes, including Hurricane Andrew! The earthquakes and tsunamis are scaring me more than all of the hurricanes I personally sheltered from! I don't know if it's because now I'm a parent and need to protect MY kids vs. being a kid myself or what?!)

1. What should I do if there is an earthquake nearby?

In the event of an earthquake, remember to drop to the ground, take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture, and hold on until the shaking stops. If you are outdoors, move away from buildings, streetlights, and other potential hazards. If you are driving, pull over to a safe location and stay inside your vehicle until the shaking stops.

2. What are some important items to have in an earthquake emergency kit?

Some important items to have in an earthquake emergency kit include water, non-perishable food, a first aid kit, a flashlight, a radio, and any necessary medications. It is also important to have a plan in place for communicating with loved ones and a designated meeting place in case of separation.

3. How can I prepare my home for an earthquake?

To prepare your home for an earthquake, it is important to secure heavy furniture and appliances to the wall or floor. Have an emergency kit easily accessible and make sure to know how to shut off utilities such as gas, water, and electricity. It is also recommended to have a professional inspect your home for any potential hazards, such as weak foundations or unsecured structures.

4. Will my Pampered Chef products be safe during an earthquake?

Our products are designed to be durable and withstand everyday use, including natural disasters such as earthquakes. However, it is always a good idea to secure your kitchen items and appliances to prevent them from falling and causing potential harm during an earthquake.

5. What should I do after an earthquake?

After an earthquake, it is important to check yourself and others for injuries and seek medical attention if needed. Be cautious of any potential hazards or aftershocks and follow the guidance of local authorities. It is also important to check your home for any damage and turn off utilities if necessary. Stay informed and follow any evacuation or safety instructions given by officials.

Back