• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dumbest Question a Customer Has Ever Asked You?

cake?)2. What about the batter bowl - once the cake is inverted, can you frost it and turn it back right side up?
chefheidi2003
Gold Member
I know that the saying goes that there is no such thing as a stupid question..BUT..I disagree.

I was asked a VERY STUPID question last night and I was wondering what is the dumbest question you have ever been asked by a customer. I thought we could all use a good laugh.

As some of you know my boyfriend's mom recently hosted a show for me. And she was driving me nuts well she got her stuff the other day and was missing something so she asked me if that was normal, I told her that sometimes these things happen and seeing as her show was almost $1200 and a human packs the box..it was a simple mistake..that was not the stupid question though.

Last night she calls me..she ordered the BBQ GRILL BASKET..UUMM..Pay attention to the name of that product. She asked me if it can be used on the grill because in the catalog there is a picture of the BBQ Grill Tray on the grill but not the basket.

I just had to share..hoping that you all get as much of a laugh out of the stupidity of the question as I did.

what else would she think it would be used for?

I had a host who asked if the knives with the honing case were childproof. What??? Who lets their kid play with knives? She is a deputy sheriff and should know better. I could hardly keep my jaw from dropping to the floor with that question. I met her 4 year old son later and understood her question. He was wild and had never heard the word "no".

"are the Cinnamon Sprinkles edible?" ..............................!!!!!!!

.....do the handles get hot in the oven?

Really??? The DCB goes in the microwave?!?! What other stoneware pieces can go in the microwave? (um, any of them that will FIT! ;))

During a demo - chopping onions
"Can you chop onions easily with the Food Chopper?"
Uh Duh! What do you think we were chopping with it? Body Parts?

suzipooh said:
"are the Cinnamon Sprinkles edible?" ..............................!!!!!!!

I just read these to some of my coworkers and when I read this one the one girl said.."OH Yeah..By the Handfull"

Just made me laugh

Can the collapsible bowls go in the OVEN? :eek:

chefsteph07 said:
Can the collapsible bowls go in the OVEN? :eek:

"Only if it's turned off"

Seriously? Do these people listen to what they are asking? LOL!!! Makes you sort of wonder what their lives are like!
Ignorance is bliss! These people are REALLY HAPPY FOLKS!

"Do you have any of the Pampered Chef yellow stuff that you can bring to the party with your demo?"

"How far can you drop a stone before it breaks?" I told them, "Well, a 2 story window would definitely do the trick?"

Kelly8 said:
"How far can you drop a stone before it breaks?"

"Just until right before it hits the ground."

Can I use the micro-cooker on the stove top?

chefjeanine said:

I've had that one too! :)

The responses to the stones breaking are hysterical.

A past hostess comes to a show and throws the mandoline at me still in the box...."I hate this! My husband and I cant figure out how to use it! Can you show me how?" I then asked her how she was using it and did she read the instructions, NO and at her show I had her best friend come up and slice the onions on it.. Well she proceeds to tell me that she ran her potatoes over the blade while her husband held the blade up from the bottom!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY!! She had no idea what the blade guard was to be used for when a guest said to her "well they dont give you extra parts for nothin!"

chefjeanine said:

Yep - I've had that one...and then there are the ones who don't ask, and just do it, and then call and want their micro-cooker replaced because it melted on the stove. :eek:

This isn't a dumb question...but I have a smart a$$ answer that makes people laugh!
I tell guests that the Sweet Apple Sprinkles are my new "crack cocaine"!! They laugh and ask what do I put them on? I tell them my tongue!:love:

I used to tell people all the time about making the Barbie Doll cakes in the batter bowl - I always explained that once the cake was baked and inverted the shape was perfect for her skirt and then you simply inserted the doll and decorated - and was asked two seperate questions about baking -

1. Well you have to bend her to get the lid on to bake - how do you make her stand back up? (because that was their concern but not putting a plastic doll or plastic lid in the oven)

2. Won't the doll melt in the oven - I didn't realize they were heat safe?

I had some one who is a teacher (no offense to teachers...just making a point that the person was certain intelligent!) tell me that the Barbie in the cake never turned out. So I kept asking different questions as to why it may not have turned out...long story short, they were putting a regular Barbie doll in the cake and not the pick kind therefore the legs and hips of the doll split the cake every time!

Once we had a staff member ask one of my employees what was the difference between the regular chicken patty and the Spicy chicken patty? One of my employees managed not to even crack a smile and explained that one was spicy and the other was not! They said ok and moved on! :eek:

baychef said:
long story short, they were putting a regular Barbie doll in the cake and not the pick kind therefore the legs and hips of the doll split the cake every time!

As a Dad, I can only scratch my head and wonder what is a pick kind of Barbie?

RMDave said:
As a Dad, I can only scratch my head and wonder what is a pick kind of Barbie?

A "pick kind" is found in craft stores. It's the top half, and it's got a long pick for the bottom half instead of legs. That way, it sticks right into the cake.

My fav had been from my grandma asking if the handles on the stones got hot in the oven. My new favorite was "where do you put the food when you are using the chopper!" When I told her where to put it she just didn't understand how on earth it would chop food that way!!

baychef said:
I had some one who is a teacher (no offense to teachers...just making a point that the person was certain intelligent!) tell me that the Barbie in the cake never turned out. So I kept asking different questions as to why it may not have turned out...long story short, they were putting a regular Barbie doll in the cake and not the pick kind therefore the legs and hips of the doll split the cake every time!

I've seen them made with real Barbie's all the time, you just have to hollow out a hole in the middle. That way if you're doing it for a little girl, she can keep the Barbie after. Honestly, I've done lots of cake decorating in my time and didn't know there was a pick kind. I think the "dumb" part comes in not being able to figure out maybe you should just take a knife and make room for it!

I had a guest come to a show and ask if PC would swap her mandoline for the new one because she never liked the old mandoline and never used it. She thought that they should give her some kind of credit at least towards the redesigned one. Um...sure! And can I trade my 2006 Civic in for a 2010 one because I like the new one better?!

LOL..>These are great. But the scary thing is, these people VOTE! *sorry- my memory isn't great these days, so I can't recall any stupid questions yet...but loving these...a bit concerned about our species, but still a good laugh!*

Oh I just had to add: I know this is not anything to do with PC, but I work at Letchworth State Park at the front desk and out Inn is right in front of the biggest falls (we are known as the Grand Canyon of the East) so, anyway, you wouldnt believe how many people come in and ask " what time do they turn the fall off?!!!!!!!!" YIKES Um whenever mother nature feels the need!!:eek::eek:

leftymac said:
A "pick kind" is found in craft stores. It's the top half, and it's got a long pick for the bottom half instead of legs. That way, it sticks right into the cake.

Thanks, Keith. I knew someone would be able to educate me. Much appreciated.

millthayer said:
Oh I just had to add: I know this is not anything to do with PC, but I work at Letchworth State Park at the front desk and out Inn is right in front of the biggest falls (we are known as the Grand Canyon of the East) so, anyway, you wouldnt believe how many people come in and ask " what time do they turn the fall off?!!!!!!!!" YIKES Um whenever mother nature feels the need!!:eek::eek:

I worked at a state park in Virginia! Oh, the questions! I had a lady call and ask if the lake that they camped beside last year was still there - I told her no, we had a hot summer and it dried up. She came looking for me when they checked in because she thought I was funny - she on the other hand was a bit frightening. A security guard from New York City and she was about 6'4" and big boned. When she leaned over the counter she was actually IN the office with me. And when she said "are you Sharon" I almost told her no!

Oh and I had people ask if they would see the wild monkeys when they were hiking and if there were sharks in the lake because they didn't want to swim if there were. Did I mention that this was in the mountains of Virginia - no where near the shore and monkeys?

pcsharon1 said:
I worked at a state park in Virginia! Oh, the questions! I had a lady call and ask if the lake that they camped beside last year was still there - I told her no, we had a hot summer and it dried up. She came looking for me when they checked in because she thought I was funny - she on the other hand was a bit frightening. A security guard from New York City and she was about 6'4" and big boned. When she leaned over the counter she was actually IN the office with me. And when she said "are you Sharon" I almost told her no!

Oh and I had people ask if they would see the wild monkeys when they were hiking and if there were sharks in the lake because they didn't want to swim if there were. Did I mention that this was in the mountains of Virginia - no where near the shore and monkeys?

Sharon, considering you're now living in Colorado, I shouldn't have to point out there are NO MOUNTAINS in VA. They're just slightly higher hill!:D That said, which state park?

When our last daughter was born and is left-handed, my mother in law asked me if we were going to buy our daughter a left-handed frizbee! What? She's not always up there.

someone asked if she could use the bamboo tongs on the grill....

I don't say Season's Best I always say the dollar cookbook. I often get "how much is that cookbook?" um it'[s 1 dollar.

me: Would you like one of my magnets
customer: Yes! How much is it?

me: $10 ...No really, it's free.

RMDave said:
Thanks, Keith. I knew someone would be able to educate me. Much appreciated.

Sorry...I wasn't back on Dave to help you out. If you didn't know about a pick Barbie...I am sure you were probably wondering if Malibu Barbie had a sleezy sister!!!

And esavvymom...it is even scarier that these people teach our children! And others...reproduce!!!

I love the one about when do the falls turn off at night!!! Wonder if they have ever been to Niagara Falls and asked that!!!;)

I had someone ask if the warranty on the scrapers covered begin gnawed on by a mouse. I told her no. She laughed and said, "Didn't think so." She's always intentionally asking off-the-wall questions. She's one of my favorite customers, though. Or, at least she used to be. Her niece is one of my team members now.

raebates said:
I had someone ask if the warranty on the scrapers covered begin gnawed on by a mouse. I told her no. She laughed and said, "Didn't think so." She's always intentionally asking off-the-wall questions. She's one of my favorite customers, though. Or, at least she used to be. Her niece is one of my team members now.

LOL - that reminds me of my fabulous host who called and asked if the prep bowl lids being stolen by the cat qualified under the warranty. It seems her very mischievous kitty LOVES prep bowl lids and steals them to toss around!

We ordered extras for her. :D

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - that reminds me of my fabulous host who called and asked if the prep bowl lids being stolen by the cat qualified under the warranty. It seems her very mischievous kitty LOVES prep bowl lids and steals them to toss around!

We ordered extras for her. :D

Hmmm, is THAT why I have more prep bowls than lids?? Might be time to start checking under the couches.

OMG! I need to do that too! My cat loves to steal things and I never thought about that! I have 12 bowls and 8 lids! OO I am gonna have to move the stove and refrigerator! He loves things he can push around the tiled kitchen floor!
I had a lady ask me if the scrapers were replaceable if they were damaged scrapping condensed soup out of the cans. I asked her how that happened because the can opener she bought should not cause the cans to have ragged edges. She said, "Who uses the can opener? I buy the Campbell's soup with the pull tabs!" I asked why she thought that could be replaced then. Because it is not my fault and I can not use the can opener on those cans. It won't work. I got a can of soup with the pull tab from the host, and proceeded to open it with our can opener. I showed her the can. She just looked at me and said Oh. I do not like this woman in any way shape or form as she is always right. So I simply said to her and all watching this, "If you follow the instructions, you will never have a problem. And no, the scraper is not replaceable when it is misused."

pampchefsarah said:
Sharon, considering you're now living in Colorado, I shouldn't have to point out there are NO MOUNTAINS in VA. They're just slightly higher hill!:D That said, which state park?

not pc but....I was going to a conference in Denver year ago and the passes were closed...big nasty storm! Anyway, I called the company's home office in Houston, because I didn't have the number for the lady doing the seminar, and asked if they could tell her I wouldn't be able to get there. The lady couldn't understand why I couldn't, I was in Colorado. After several minutes of trying to explain that Colorado is not flat and we have to go over the Continental Divide to get to Denver, she still didn't understand! I finally told her that I was 30 miles from Utah and had a huge mountain range to climb! She says.....so how close to the Coors brewery are you?

My PC newest one.... Do the Pink Dots Martini glasses only in Pinl? Really?

Thanks for making me laugh guys, its been a long week.

non PC but I have a friend who thought Alaska was near Hawaii because thats where is it on maps and thought you had to take a plane or boat to get there. She didn't realize you could drive there through Canada

Jen1409 said:
non PC but I have a friend who thought Alaska was near Hawaii because thats where is it on maps and thought you had to take a plane or boat to get there. She didn't realize you could drive there through Canada

That is too funny!! It's amazing how little geography a lot of people know!

pampchefsarah said:

Well, I took a friend home to Virginia with me from Texas - she had never been anywhere except Texas and Oklahoma - and the MOUNTAINS totally freaked her out. At one point she leaned really close to the window to look over the edge - now, we were on one of those backroads that pretty much goes straight up - and asked if we ever found bodies back there. I told her no, they were never found, that is why we put them there in the first place!

I worked at Douthat State Park in Bath County - that's where I'm originally from and my folks still live there so I make it back at least once a year. Those mountains are green - these mountains are ROCKY!

Yes the handles get very hot...so be very carefull..

baychef said:
... I love the one about when do the falls turn off at night!!! Wonder if they have ever been to Niagara Falls and asked that!!!;)

Interesting fact: Although they don't do it on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, they DO have a way to shut off Niagara Falls! And they CAN do it very quickly when some moron tries to pull a stunt and go over. It shuts down the gush of water & makes it a smooth body of water temporarily while they pull the imbecile out, then they can turn it back on. Pretty cool, huh? ;) (I only know this because I happened to catch a documentary on it about 2 weeks ago!)

Another non-PC "here's your sign" moment: We were sponsoring some "newcomers" to the island. I was explaining to the wife how the Yen to Dollar ratio is constantly fluctuating but that it was currently (at the time) around 124 Yen to the US Dollar. She then proceeded to tell me that her husband had already explained to her that it can't go over 125 Yen to the US Dollar. ??? When I asked her what she meant, she proceeded to explain that the US has put a "cap" on the Japanese and that we won't allow their money to be worth more than that over our money. I had to explain to her that although the US is a big country, that they can't control the Japanese market or the value of the Japanese Yen being exchanged with other currencies. She seriously didn't get it. She thought that the US controlled all the other countries and the value of their money to ours. :eek: I then had to explain to her that 120 Yen to the Dollar means that the US Dollar is valued higher than Yen and when it's 80 Yen to the US Dollar that means that the Yen is higher than the US Dollar. Yeah, so totally over her head. She was sure it had to be the other way around. :rolleyes:

Oh, and it took me about 2 months to get my friend (bless her heart) to understand that Okinawa is an ISLAND and that you can't drive to Tokyo (without the use of a ferry) from Okinawa. She finally told me that she got out a U.S. Atlas and found Okinawa and now understands that it's an island. Really? You found Okinawa, Japan on a U.S. Atlas??? Where???

Sheila said:
Interesting fact: Although they don't do it on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, they DO have a way to shut off Niagara Falls! And they CAN do it very quickly when some moron tries to pull a stunt and go over. It shuts down the gush of water & makes it a smooth body of water temporarily while they pull the imbecile out, then they can turn it back on. Pretty cool, huh? ;) (I only know this because I happened to catch a documentary on it about 2 weeks ago!)

Another non-PC "here's your sign" moment: We were sponsoring some "newcomers" to the island. I was explaining to the wife how the Yen to Dollar ratio is constantly fluctuating but that it was currently (at the time) around 124 Yen to the US Dollar. She then proceeded to tell me that her husband had already explained to her that it can't go over 125 Yen to the US Dollar. ??? When I asked her what she meant, she proceeded to explain that the US has put a "cap" on the Japanese and that we won't allow their money to be worth more than that over our money. I had to explain to her that although the US is a big country, that they can't control the Japanese market or the value of the Japanese Yen being exchanged with other currencies. She seriously didn't get it. She thought that the US controlled all the other countries and the value of their money to ours. :eek: I then had to explain to her that 120 Yen to the Dollar means that the US Dollar is valued higher than Yen and when it's 80 Yen to the US Dollar that means that the Yen is higher than the US Dollar. Yeah, so totally over her head. She was sure it had to be the other way around. :rolleyes:

Oh, and it took me about 2 months to get my friend (bless her heart) to understand that Okinawa is an ISLAND and that you can't drive to Tokyo (without the use of a ferry) from Okinawa. She finally told me that she got out a U.S. Atlas and found Okinawa and now understands that it's an island. Really? You found Okinawa, Japan on a U.S. Atlas??? Where???

Well, right there next to Hawaii and Alaska, of course! :D:D:D

When I had a substitute for my classroom one year, there was a fire drill. The other teachers, told me later that my class didn't come out for a long time. When they investigated, they found the substitute calling kids by alphabetical order to line up. I'd hate to have been Zornado. Sorry. Your kid didn't make it, but the Allen kid did! This lady had a masters degree too. No common sense though.

I was in a drive-thru and was asked, "Do you want that to-go?"
Ummm....

Carrie J said:
I was in a drive-thru and was asked, "Do you want that to-go?"
Ummm....

At In-N-Out restaurans, they do ask if you want to eat it in your car. It's the difference between getting your food in a box or a bag.

Now I want In-N-Out :(

pcsharon1 said:
1. Well you have to bend her to get the lid on to bake - how do you make her stand back up? (because that was their concern but not putting a plastic doll or plastic lid in the oven)

2. Won't the doll melt in the oven - I didn't realize they were heat safe?

These people certainly win the award for putting the DUH in dumb (the phonict sound DUH!!!)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefCKHall
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefKrisB
  • kdangel518
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • The_Kitchen_Guy