• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dulce de Leche Bites: Searching the Grocery Store

In summary, the conversation discussed the search for Dulce de Leche at a grocery store and various methods to make it at home. It was suggested to look for it in the baking aisle or with the ice cream toppings. Some also mentioned making it at home by boiling a can of condensed milk for a few hours. Others shared their own experiences with finding and using Dulce de Leche in recipes.
straitfan
Gold Member
Okay, I looked for this tonight at the grocery store. Is it supposed to be with the Mexican foods? All I could find was a can of Nestle La Lachera, which appears to just be sweetened condensed milk in a spanish can. Is this the right stuff for the Dulce de Leche Bites?

I made this recipe - from the Cdn. Season's Best and it calls for 48 caramels, unwrapped and 1 Tbsp milk melted in the micro, and then 4 oz softened cream cheese. It was really yummy but I would have let the mixture cool before putting it into the phyllo cups.

I have never seen anything remotely called Dulce de Leche here in Canada, although I have not looked at the few specialty Mexican shops.

Linda

I thought I saw Dulce de leche in the baking section with the condesed milk before? Never read the ingredients so I don't know if it's the same as condensed sweetened milk? That recipe sounds good though!

I thought it would be in baking isle and with the regular condensed milk??

Guess I'd better look.

Lisa

I read somewhere today on one of the PC loops that you can take a can of Condensed Milk, remove the lable, and put it in a saucepan of water (in the can, sealed) and boil it for 3 hours...when you open it you'll have Dulce de Leche. I make no promises though - I have not tried this.

Hmmmmmmmmm...that's interesting. This La Lachera that I bought has a picture on the front of a sort of brownish liquid covering a slice of something that looks like cheesecake. I wonder if this has already underwent the boiling process? I bought it in the aisle with the mexican food ingredients. Didn't see anything with the other canned milks. Shopped at the largest grocery store in a town..Dillon's a Kroger store. Hoping to hear from someone who knows exactly what this stuff is!

I read on a website that you have to boil the sweetened condensed milk in the can for 2 hours. So I would say somewhere between 2 and 3 hours you should be good to go.

Even better here is a recipe I found, this sounds safer!!1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk 1. OVEN METHOD: Pour 1 can condensed milk into 9 inch pie pan.
2. Cover with aluminum foil.
3. Put in large pan, roaster pan.
4. Fill large pan with boiling water.
5. Bake@ 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour or until thick and caramel colored.
6. Beat until smooth.
7. MICROWAVE METHOD: Pour 1 can condensed milk into 2 quart glass measuring cup.
8. Cook on 50% power for 4 minutes (stir every 2 minutes until smooth) Then cook on 30% power for 20-25 minutes or until thick and caramel colored.
9. Stir every 4 minutes for first 15 minutes, then every 2 minutes during the last 6-10 minutes.
10. Put in refrigerator covered.
11. Can be eaten over ice cream, with fruit, cake, cookies or with a spoon.

Hispanic Here!

Dulce de Leche can be found in the baking aisle of your supermarket, next to the chocolate syrup. Dulce de Leche is very different from the condensed milk and it usually comes in a glass jar. I've seen at Ralphs, Stater Bros, Albertsons... most all of the big chains carry it.

Hope this helps.

I'm glad someone posted this!

I was wondering if we could substitute carmal sauce for the dulce de leche?

my3jjjs said:
Hispanic Here!

Dulce de Leche can be found in the baking aisle of your supermarket, next to the chocolate syrup. Dulce de Leche is very different from the condensed milk and it usually comes in a glass jar. I've seen at Ralphs, Stater Bros, Albertsons... most all of the big chains carry it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'm not sure I looked there! I'll go back and try again. Thanks also for the "recipe" sounds like a plan!

I actually find jars of Dulce de Leche with the ice cream toppings. Smuckers is one brand I've bought. It's a sweet milk caramel sauce.

dannyzmom said:
I read somewhere today on one of the PC loops that you can take a can of Condensed Milk, remove the lable, and put it in a saucepan of water (in the can, sealed) and boil it for 3 hours...when you open it you'll have Dulce de Leche. I make no promises though - I have not tried this.

I have heard of that before too, but have also never tried it. A former co-worker once told me that his wife made caramel pies that way.

jenniferlynne said:
I have heard of that before too, but have also never tried it. A former co-worker once told me that his wife made caramel pies that way.

yummmmm...that sounds delish!

my3jjjs said:
Hispanic Here!

Hope this helps.

Now that you say that I do remember seeing it at Walmart on the shelf beside all of the icecream topping!

from ham onthe street on food network1 quart strawberries, sliced
2 bananas, sliced
6 biscotti, crushed
1 angel food cake, crumbled
1 (24-ounce) container whipped cream
1 can dulce de leche*
1 bottle chocolate sauce

In a large trifle bowl (or other clear glass bowl), put the strawberries, bananas, biscotti, cake, and whipped cream in random layers. Drizzle the dulce de leche and chocolate sauce between layers, saving a generous portion of each for the top. Scoop out and serve in individual bowls.
*To make dulce de leche: Put a can of sweetened condensed milk in a pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a simmer and cook for 3 hours, turning the can over every half hour and topping off with more hot water if it evaporates. Turn off the heat and leave the can in the water until it is completely cool.

i remembered seeing this. hope this helps

You can also make the caramel in a can using your slow cooker - put the can and the water in there and turn it on low!

Mission accomplished! I found it at Wal-Mart in the Latino Foods aisle for $.1.82 a can! Yippee! Now thanks to all the wisdom shared by fellow cheffers, I'll boil the can of other stuff and make 2 batches! MMMMMMMMM

Lucky you! I still haven't found it. I'ved checked four different towns. (Granted, I live in rural northcentral Indiana.) I finally tried caramel ice cream topping, since I had signed up to bring the Dulce de Leche Bites to my cluster meeting. Real dulce de leche is obviously thicker because there was no way I could use the EAD for mine. Tasted great, though!

Christy,

I'm glad you found it. You see that it is very different from the condensed milk.

Rae,

Don't lose hope. I'm sure you'll find it soon. If worse comes to worse, just slow cook the condensed milk.

Yeah. Actually, when I was making them I remembered how much I HATE working with phyllo. I don't think I'll be making them again any time soon. However, I'm going to continue looking for the dulce de leche. It just bugs me that I couldn't find it. Nope, nothing obsessive/compulsive about me.

I just signed up to make these for our next cluster meeting, I hope they are good! And I can find it again at the grocery store where I thought I saw them at originally!

raebates said:
Yeah. Actually, when I was making them I remembered how much I HATE working with phyllo. I don't think I'll be making them again any time soon. However, I'm going to continue looking for the dulce de leche. It just bugs me that I couldn't find it. Nope, nothing obsessive/compulsive about me.
One of the substitutions I do for Phyllo cups is cinnamon tortilla cups. Make mini tortilla cups like directed for the Spicy Shripn Ceviche cups, but spreay them lightly with water and sprinkle with a little cinnamon/sugar before forming the cup. They're delish!

I think I am going to try the premade mini phyllos since they are perfect bite size and spray and sprinkle with cinn./sugar so much easier!

chefann said:
One of the substitutions I do for Phyllo cups is cinnamon tortilla cups. Make mini tortilla cups like directed for the Spicy Shripn Ceviche cups, but spreay them lightly with water and sprinkle with a little cinnamon/sugar before forming the cup. They're delish!

Ann, you're a genious! Now if I ever find the dulce de leche, I can try these again.

chefann said:

Thanks Ann - I was actually thinking of doing this very thing....who has time to mess w/ all those little squares of phyllo? Now I will for sure!

AND - just wanted to let everyone know, I spent some time in Colombia, S.A., and boiling sweetened condensed milk is how they get Dulce de Leche down there! It is a common snack eaten w/ crackers - they even sell mini cans so you can make a one serving size! When I was down there, it was a big seller at bus stops when travelling across the country - you would buy a mini can of "Dulce de Leche", and it came w/ a little paddle for spreading, and a little package of "Club" type crackers. Yummy - especially when you are hungry and aren't sure what is safe to eat!:D

I've made it by boiling condensed milk in the tin many many times. It's quite popular in the UK. Banoffee pie is a favourite... you just get a graham cracker crust, slice bananas into it, pour dulce de leche on top and use the EAD to put whipped cream around it. It is YUM!

I still haven't found the canned Dulce de Leche and I live in San Antonio! :) I went ahead and bought condensed milk instead. Hope it's good!

yum, made these bites yesterday--very good--even better when I put vanilla flavored whipped cream on them!!!!!

they were the first things gone :)

Delicious!I just made these for my cluster meeting tonight and they so good! I hope I have some left to take with me :rolleyes:

btw, I used the Smuckers brand Dulce de Leche and it was with the ice cream toppings at Publix.

Guess what "new item" showed up at my grocery store this week. You guessed it--dulce de leche. Made a new batch. Wow! Fabulous.

BTW: You may remember that I mentioned how much I HATE working with phyllo. Seriously. Really hate it. Well, I did something different with this batch of dulce de leche. I didn't brush butter on the phyllo. I put my melted butter in a spare Kitchen Spritzer. Worked beautifullly. No torn phyllo. No uneven saturation. No bad words forming in my head.

Using The Kitchen Spritzer Sounds Like A Great Tip!
My Dir, Said She Found The Dulce De Leleche In The International Section Of Our Local Supermarket (wegman's)
We Had Those At Our Cluster Mtg, Thurs, & They Are Great!!!

They're very yummy. I do suggest, though, that you not make them unless you have people to share them with. It's waaaay to easy to eat the whole batch in an evening or two.

The phyllo cups were tough to make with butter and the basting brush - The butter seemed to saturate the phyllo and make it hard to get off the cutting board.
I would make them with some butter flavored cooking spray I think the melted butter might gunk up the Spritzer bottle as it cools or I would have tried that.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jessie Jolly
  • pampchefrhondab
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • melodyprine