• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Find the Perfect Dress Code for Conference | Tips and Guidelines"

In summary, the Dress code for conference is business casual. The workshops can be cold, so bring a sweater or jacket just in case. The main rule is
StacieB
Gold Member
Was just wondering what the Dress code was for conference? Thanks!

Business Casual

(wear COMFY shoes!!)

definitely wear comfy shoes - last year I wore sneakers...this year I think I am going to wear Crocs...

Capris, nice blouse and good running shoes is what I wore. Leadership seems to be a bit more dressy. Also, realize that Chicago is HUMID and you want clothes that breathe!

Is McCormick Place kept cold? My SD told me that the rooms can be chilly. I don't know...this is my first conference! I can't imagine chilly in July!

In order to get rid of humidity, you need to run the AC almost 24-7. It can be cold, but I have a "natural" layer of insulation.

conference workshops are usually cold, cold, cold, but last year they had some problem with the air conditioner and it was warm. So, bring a sweater or jacket just in case.

They always say no jeans or shorts for conference.

I've worn nice jean capris though to workshops. You need to be comfortable. Remember, you will be sitting, a lot. When you aren't sitting, you're walking :p They seemed dressy enough. Skirts are nice too b/c they breath well, but definitely bring a light sweater for classes. I tended to take mine off in between.

Business casual is so vague! I've worked at places that had total different definitions of "Business" Casual. At the one place, casual was considered business formal at the other.

My NED always says no jeans and no sequins...everything else inbetween should be okay!

cmdtrgd said:
My NED always says no jeans and no sequins...everything else inbetween should be okay!
LOL! That about sums it up. There are always those "very" comfy (wrinkled T shirts, etc.) and those that are "very" business like (suits)

I want to be comfortable so I will probably be in khaki's (either pants or capris) and a PC shirt and either loafers or nice tennis shoes.

I agree- bring a light sweater or jacket if you chill easily, some of the rooms can get cold with the AC on all the time!

Everyone told me before the 2005 Conference that the workshop rooms were always chilly. What a cruel joke. Every one of the rooms I was in was very warm. The sound of waving papers from people fanning themselves was almost deafening. (Okay, a bit of hyperbole there, but it really was warm.) I suggest layers.

I'm with you on the crocs - but I'm getting the sandal/flip flop kind!

I LOVE my crocs and I'm thinking of the ballet flat ones, they seem slightly less...well, croc-ey? I don't know. I love my crocs but they aren't the fanciest shoes ever...and I love the colors, but I suppose I should get a color that goes with a lot...

Speedy, I didn't even know they had a ballet flat! I've never worn Crocs before, but I might have to get a pair.

OK, when Crocs first came out I swore I would NEVER wear them...now they are growing on me!

Question: you don't wear socks with them, right? Don't your feet get gross and sweaty?

Are they comfortable like tennis shoes?

Yep, no socks. I like mine. I have difficulty wearing sandals because I wear orthotics in my shoes. There's enough of a lip around the sole of the Crocs to keep them in. However, I don't think of them as great walking shoes.

Besides, I'm old, and to me business casual means khakis or casual slacks with an office-appropriate top. Crocs would look odd with that. (Not casting aspersions on others' choice of dress, just mired in my habits. :D )

KellyTheChef said:
OK, when Crocs first came out I swore I would NEVER wear them...now they are growing on me!

Question: you don't wear socks with them, right? Don't your feet get gross and sweaty?

Are they comfortable like tennis shoes?

I wear mine with socks all the time. and yes as comfortable if not more comfy than sneakers.
i swore i would never wear them either ! but I had to see what all the fuss was about...love em!
I think I will need a pair of flip flop style too

then again I always think I NEED new shoes!:D
drives DH nuts.

The ballet crocs are not nearly as soft and comfy as the originals or the mary jane style. I was disappointed with them once I had them on my feet...

reba515 said:
then again I always think I NEED new shoes!:D
drives DH nuts.

I'm with you on this one. LOL

What are crocs??:confused:

As far as dress code goes, I saw a lot of people wearing jeans last year. The only place I didn't see them wearing jeans was at the Executive dinner. I love the look of capris, but they don't love me if you know what I mean.:eek:

No denim!!!! This is a business conference and everyone should be wearing business casual. Khakis, skirts, dress shirts. NOT T-shirts, jean shorts with holes or jeans of any kind. I've really been appalled at what people have been wearing the last couple of years. Bras should definitely be something NOT shown off. And really should be covered up. LOL

If you don't know what business casual is - Ask someone.

Laurie
Director in PA

I think I am in love with the croc flip flops... I have never seen them before... check 'em out!

https://shop.crocs.com/pc-14-4-athens.aspx?reqid=14&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

quiverfull7 said:
The ballet crocs are not nearly as soft and comfy as the originals or the mary jane style. I was disappointed with them once I had them on my feet...

Why aren't the ballet ones comfortable? I swore I was never going to wear crocs until I saw these, so cute and comfy looking... and now the flip flops too... are the ballet crocs comfy enough for conference or not so much???

speedychef said:
I LOVE my crocs and I'm thinking of the ballet flat ones, they seem slightly less...well, croc-ey? I don't know. I love my crocs but they aren't the fanciest shoes ever...and I love the colors, but I suppose I should get a color that goes with a lot...

I just got the Mary Janes yesterday and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them!

Ooh now you make me want new crocs...see, I am not a shoe lover, but I do collect comfy shoes. I have a half dozen pairs of runners floating around, a few pairs of Docs, and my crocs...hey! That rhymes! Docs and crocs! ANYHOW. I have 2 pairs of black dress shoes, 2 pairs of brown dress shoes, and that's about it...but I could collect crocs!

I didn't attend last year and they said the rooms were hot, but I did attend in 05 and thought I was in a meat locker instead of a conference room. I forgot my jacket and I left my workshops early because it was so cold. You just never know how cool/warm it will be. I am cold natured, so I will definately be bringing a jacket.

And, you definately need comfortable walking shoes because you will be walking everywhere.
I did see people in jeans, but paperwork specifically says not to wear them. To be honest, I was apalled at some of the clothing I saw. This is a business conference.
But, then again, I find the new clothing styles disgusting. When I was growing up, we would have been horrified to have to go to school in jeans and shirts with holes and now they want us to spend 70.00 for them. People seem to have forgotten what it means to dress up. As a business owner I am still surprised by the clothing people will wear to inquire about a job and even to a job interview.

I understand that this is a business conference, but I think that a nice pair of jeans (no holes or frayed hems) should be allowed. I do not have to dress up for my full time job, so I do not have a "business" attire, and I am VERY uncomfortable dressing up.

Besides, do you dress up for your shows? I don't. I prefer to dress in comfortable clothes, which for me are jeans and a nice blouse or shirt.

Last year I bought stuff that I thought would be considered business casual, and I felt uncomfortable and like I was trying to be someone I'm not. Then when I saw all the people that were wearing jeans and even saw some very short shorts and skirts.:eek: , I switched to wearing my comfortable attire that I had brought for the evenings. :rolleyes:

kbugmama said:
No denim!!!! This is a business conference and everyone should be wearing business casual. Khakis, skirts, dress shirts. NOT T-shirts, jean shorts with holes or jeans of any kind. I've really been appalled at what people have been wearing the last couple of years. Bras should definitely be something NOT shown off. And really should be covered up. LOL

If you don't know what business casual is - Ask someone.

Laurie
Director in PA

I am soooooooo bummed. To me, Pampered Chef is a fun business where friends get together and party while trying out restaurant quality tools to make life easier. If I was going to the Donald Trump School of Business Management Seminar, I'd be more concerned with dressing to impress over comfort. I'm not talking about wearing a Duran Duran concert Tee and Tie Dyed pair of jeans. I guess I should rethink attending Conference. I know it's your business, and networking with other consultants will make you all mega-millionaires overnight, but I'm in it for a fun way to earn extra money.

I'll guess I'll bow to peer-pressure and wear khakis at conference, but as soon as the meetings are over, I'm running up to my room and changing into my pressed jeans and polo shirt. I'm not trying to rain on anyone who wants to dress up, but I just hate the thought of sitting there in a workshop pretending to be someone that I'm not. :(

EpTxGuy said:
I am soooooooo bummed. To me, Pampered Chef is a fun business where friends get together and party while trying out restaurant quality tools to make life easier. If I was going to the Donald Trump School of Business Management Seminar, I'd be more concerned with dressing to impress over comfort. I'm not talking about wearing a Duran Duran concert Tee and Tie Dyed pair of jeans. I guess I should rethink attending Conference. I know it's your business, and networking with other consultants will make you all mega-millionaires overnight, but I'm in it for a fun way to earn extra money.

I'll guess I'll bow to peer-pressure and wear khakis at conference, but as soon as the meetings are over, I'm running up to my room and changing into my pressed jeans and polo shirt. I'm not trying to rain on anyone who wants to dress up, but I just hate the thought of sitting there in a workshop pretending to be someone that I'm not. :(

Guy, I think your pressed jeans and polo shirts would be great. Please be who you are. That is what I am going to do this year.

Meh. I wear nice jeans and cute "dressy"/"trendy" blouses to my shows... so why not wear it to conference. Sorry, I don't work for Corporate America, so I'm not gonna dress like it to sit in a workshop.
I think capris (even denim ones) or nice looking jeans, a cute blouse, nice CLEAN shoes, and combed hair is perfectly fine for conference workshops.

To walk across the stage at Leadership, I wore tall BOOTS and a skirt. That's 'bout as dressed up as I get. :)

The paperwork seriously says "no jeans"? Or does it specify no RIPPED/TORN jeans? That'd be funny if it really says no jeans at all. Hmmm.
Good thing I can't get fired. I'll let ya know if Doris pulls me aside to 'tsk tsk' my choice of apparel. ;)

For my Exec dinner, I'll dress "up" (think, date night). And when I walk across the stage for TPC I'll dress "up" ...

I'm there to learn and to have a great time, not scoff at people's outfits. If others choose to spend their time scoffing at how comfy and yet still adorable I am, that's their business. ;)

I don't think anyone is scoffing at people's clothes. And, we don't have to really dress up...capris are good. And yes, year before last the paperwork did say "no jeans". Everyone can wear what they want. You have to make that decision yourself. But, I can't complain about other people not following the rules...ebay, website links, etc...if I don't follow them...rules are rules. Maybe this year's paperwork will say that we can wear jeans. That would be great for me. I love jeans. I am fortunate to have dress slacks because my previous job required them, so whatever the paperwork says I will be ready. The only bad thing about slacks is that my dress shoes all have heels. Now I would look silly trying to walk everywhere in heels. So, I guess I will need some new shoes.

My past post about being appalled at what some people wore was not meant to condemn anyone. I just think wrinkled, slouchy clothes are not appropriate for a business conference. Paperwork says business casual, not sloppy. We had the same problem at my job. The last Friday of the month is "jean day", but people began wearing wrinkled jeans and jeans with holes and stains along with wrinkled shirts. The boss began changing the dress code. I would hate for us to have to wear business suits...yuck!!
And, I wear jeans and a nice shirt to my shows because I want everyone to feel that they can do this business. I consider shows to be parties. And, we are cooking, so we should wear something appropriate for that. How many people cook in slacks and a dress shirt? LOL My personal opinion of what is and is not appropriate for special occasions is for myself, not anyone else. Nobody is going to walk up to you and say "you are not suppose to be wearing that!"...LOL Sorry if I have offended anyone.

Last edited:
Guy...don't skip because you feel you have to dress up. If you don't have khakis, wear your nice jeans. I do find that men usually have a different opinion on dressing up. At my previous job the women had to wear slacks...no jeans except jean day, not tennis shoes, no t-shirts...but the men could wear wranglers, boots, and western shirts every day.

You definately do not want to miss conference if it is possible. You will come away with excitement, great new ideas, and many new friends. You will love conference. Well, except for having to share the bathroom. Most men's rooms become women's rooms at conference...LOL

I just pulled the paperwork off of CC. I do not see anywhere "no jeans". It says business casual, so I guess that leaves it up to us to make that decision. That sounds great to me. If you have any doubts, talk to your recruiter/director. I am assuming this paperwork is exactly like what we will be receiving in the mail in the next week or so. The checklist is great for helping decide what to bring.

Last edited:

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
raebates
  • gothim0802
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
raebates