• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

"Don't Throw a 'Bread & Water' Party

In summary, Julie Anne Jones believes that if a party doesn't have a specific theme, it's essentially a "Bread and Water" party and this can dissuade guests from coming. She suggests using a theme to increase attendance and make the party more enjoyable for everyone.
babywings76
Gold Member
I subscribe to Julie Ann Jones's newsletter and she made an interesting point in an article yesterday. I'm curious to hear everyone's response or take on this:

Don’t Throw a “Bread & Water” Party

I'm a big believer in "walking my talk," so every year or so (at least), I throw my own home party for one of my favorite direct sales reps here in my hometown. I'm having a CAbi party this month (that stands for Carol Anderson by Invitation, for those of you who aren't familiar with CAbi and the clothes from this company are, hands down, my favorites in my closet). I'm excited about the chance to get together with my friends (whom I don't get to see often enough) and have some fun.

As I sent out my "save the date" e-vites last week (and just to be clear, I told them I'd be mailing an invitation soon but that I wanted to give them a "heads up" so they could save the date – and I will be mailing out actual snail mail invitations this week because I'm a huge believer in that practice), I made sure to choose a theme for my party (chocoholic, which is my favorite and in my opinion, the one that gets women out to my parties more than any other theme). The front of the e-vite referenced that theme and nothing else. Once they opened the e-vite, at the bottom of that page, I told them that the party was also a CAbi party.

Within about 2 hours, over 1/2 of my guests had responded with an enthusiastic "will attend." They were all excited about the chocolate, more than the clothes. Of course they're all aware that they're attending one of "those home parties," but they're also excited about the fun aspect of my theme.

It just really brought home to me this fact: when you send out an invitation to a home party that doesn't have any sort of theme, it's basically like inviting someone to a "Bread and Water" party. And, worse than that, indirectly saying "and make sure you remember to bring your checkbook." You might as well put a headline across the top of that invitation that says, "Hey, come on over to my house next Wednesday and spend some money!" I don't know about you, but that's not the best way to get me excited about attending a party! If you make it about the theme instead, everyone will enthusiastically show up, and the product portion of the evening will flow seamlessly and be much more comfortable for everyone.

So, no matter what else you have your host do, make sure she chooses a theme for her party. I'll be asking my guests on the actual invitation they receive in the mail to bring their favorite chocolate to share (candy, cookies, brownies, cake or whatever). I've found this increases excitement even more, because the only thing women are more passionate about than chocolate is sharing with other women! Plus, I really just have to open a few bottles of good red wine (easy to find in the Walla Walla Valley), put on a pot of coffee, provide some non-alcoholic beverages, and bake my mom's famous Lemon Brownies to share, and I'm set!

So bearing all this in mind, what do you have to say about themes and theme parties? And if you're using them, have they increased attendance at your parties?

Julie Anne Jones is direct sales corporate consultant, coach, and trainer, and the CEO of Julie Anne Jones, Inc. She is known for her authentic and easy-to-use scripting and specializes in specific language and tools for success in direct sales. To learn more about Julie Anne and her products and services, and to read her weekly blog posts, visit her at http://www.julieannejones.com.

I think this is great!! I always tailor my invitations for the hosts- guests are very intrigued :)

This is an interesting article... I would definitely agree that chocolate is a huge draw!But a number of host coaching training sessions I've listened to talk about not enough deciding on a recipe until shortly before the party. The emphasis during most of the host coaching is all on getting the people there, and the recipe is not the important thing.I'd love to hear more thoughts on this!

You don't have to pick a recipe- just a theme. For example, in January I offered Soup and Slippers or Game Day themes. I asked which was more appealing to them. I made up the invitations, did the host coaching and then picked the recipe. If neither is good, then I resort to a "Real Food Real Fast" invitation and playup how we can bring good food to the table instead of going through the drive thru. Just about any recipe will work for that theme :)

I like the article and I am excited to hear about theme's that others have tried, but I think Pampered Chef is unique in the fact that are shows are about food. Our parties really always have a theme. Like loreo said we can always resort to "Real Food Real Fast". Most other direct selling companies don't have this advantage.

Yeah, maybe because we are the food, it's not as important to do this as opposed to other DS parties.I see her point, though, and maybe I should be utilizing PC's theme shows they've already provided us. Like what Loreo shared.One thing that struck me was when she said that the invite was more about the fun and the food and (oh yeah, there will be the CAbi products to purchase, too.) I just had a situation with a host that sounded as if she was turning her party into a big St. Patty's Day party and maybe the PC part was an after-thought. I worried that her friends might be more interested in the beer than in PC. We've talked about it and I think we have a good game plan now, but I was nervous for a while there.

Themes keep the host excited and intrigue the guests. They're fun and definitely appealing. You can already have a recipe figured out with each theme you mention.

You do want the host telling their friends about the fun, but I think PC should be in the forefront rather than an afterthought. That way the guests don't feel "reeled in" and also does not cause them to think PC is irrelevant to the get together.

Guests will come because the host is excited and inviting...because they'll have a chance to get together for a spell...because it sounds like fun...because they'll taste a new recipe...because they will learn that new recipe.

But themes do tend to draw larger crowds.

I use the same recipe for all these themes:mexican in minutes, margaritaville, dinner time in no time, weekday dinners done, real food real fast, girls night in....

Same recipe: 15m fajitas...the theme is just the fun part for the host. =)

Last edited:
Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Themes keep the host excited and intrigue the guests. They're fun and definitely appealing. You can already have a recipe figured out with each theme you mention.

You do want the host telling their friends about the fun, but I think PC should be in the forefront rather than an afterthought. That way the guests don't feel "reeled in" and also does not them to think PC is irrelevant to the get together.

Guests will come because the host is excited and inviting...because they'll have a chance to get together for a spell...because it sounds like fun...because they'll taste a new recipe...because they will learn that new recipe.

But themes do tend to draw larger crowds.

I use the same recipe for all these themes:mexican in minutes, margaritaville, dinner time in no time, weekday dinners done, real food real fast, girls night in....

Same recipe: 15m fajitas...the theme is just the fun part for the host. =)

Exactly!!!

Thanks!! I'm a new consultant and that is an excellent point/idea.

Glad it helps darlene. Welcome to CS and PC!

Many of us get caught up and overthink recipes. Recipes are just one of the many added bonuses and perks of hosting a show. But we need to remember that it's only the vehicle to highlight the true star(s) of the show: Our tools.

If we are too caught up in the recipe or having to keep referring to it, we lose our focus on the guests and their fun as well as the tools. Practice a recipe til you can do it onautopilot. You can add an additional recipe each month to grow your options. Instead, direct your energy on learning all the great benefits and uses of our products. Use them at home so you can honestly share your enthusiasm for them. Guests love hearing about all the things you...and they...can use with each item.

Wishing you much success!

1. What is a "Bread & Water" party?

A "Bread & Water" party is a themed party where the main food and drink served is bread and water. It is a simple and budget-friendly option for hosting a party.

2. Why would I want to throw a "Bread & Water" party?

A "Bread & Water" party is a fun and creative way to bring people together without breaking the bank. It can also serve as a unique and memorable experience for your guests.

3. Can I serve other food and drinks besides bread and water at a "Bread & Water" party?

Yes, you can serve other food and drinks in addition to bread and water at a "Bread & Water" party. However, the main focus should be on the bread and water to stay true to the theme.

4. What types of bread and water should I serve at a "Bread & Water" party?

You can serve a variety of bread and water options at a "Bread & Water" party. Some popular bread options include crusty French baguettes, soft dinner rolls, and homemade breads. For water, you can offer still or sparkling water and add fruit slices or herbs for flavor.

5. Do I need to have any special decorations for a "Bread & Water" party?

No, you do not need any special decorations for a "Bread & Water" party. However, you can add some fun and creative touches, such as using bread baskets as centerpieces or serving water in mason jars with twine and labels.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lesliec
  • kdangel518
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • beepampered