• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Don't Make My Mistake: Danger of the Ultimate Slice & Grate!

In summary, a woman sliced her hand on her USG, and another woman sliced her thumb on her Quick Cut. Kristi recommends that people get rid of their USGs, as they are very dangerous.
PampMomof3
Gold Member
I was at my in laws today and it was my job to cut the tomatoes and onions. Well I pulled out the retired Ultimate Slice and grate and yes, I know and KNEW I should use the food safety holder but I did it anyway. I got through the tomato fine and then got to almost the end of the onion and I told myself NOT to force it and I did. UGH!! :cry: :cry: Instantly, my skin is flapping in the wind and seeping blood. We held pressure on it and because of the location, we didn't think they could stitch it so now I'm typing/poking trying to tell you guys!!:eek:

Let it be fare warning, GET RID OF THOSE DARN THINGS!! Or be very careful and use the holder. I didn't use it b/c the tomato and onion were so wide that I'd have to cut it really small to get a slice of it.

Just a fare warning who still has theirs!!!

Ugh! So sorry you got sliced. I sliced myself on my USG a few years ago, and stopped using it then and there. I just sold it in my garage sale 2 weeks ago - good riddance! I told the woman to be careful with it and if she wants to upgrade, I gave her my card! ;) I hope you heal quickly and it doesn't hurt too bad for too long!

Oh cathy, should I dare ask how long? It's wrapped up tightly and the dished don't get done on their own!! Of course it's my right hand.....:(

Oh, crud!! Kristi, that sucks!! I hope it heals quickly! Those hurt!

Thanks Becky!! It hurts like BLEEP and man was it throbbing earlier. I've NEVER had a cut this bad! It sucks but you have to move on, right?

Off to watch 27 dresses..... :) Thanks ladies!

My DH sliced his finger on the USG and now he hates it. The good thing about his it was the tip of his finger and it didnt bleed at all. He was lucky. I hope your finger heals quickly.

Ouch - I don't remember how long my right thumb hurt from the USG slice, but it took over a month for my inch-long slice of my left thumb to heal and stop hurting (with the Quick Cut paring knife - YEOUWCH!). If it was just the tip, it might not take that long, but it just depends how deep it went. You should probably have it checked out by the Dr. tomorrow, just to be sure you don't need stitches. I didn't for the USG slice, but it was very superficial (just cut off my thumbprint for a while - lol!), the Quick Cut slice - it was deep, to the tendons (ICK!!), and needed 9 stitches. I hope you don't need stitches and it heals fast. Enjoy the movie and let me know how you like it - that's on my list of movies to see!

Oh Kristi - I am so sorry!!!
(((((((((((Kristi))))))))))))))

Ouch! Get better Kristi!

Been there done that! Sorry to hear about it though. It does bite. I have my UM in my kit for my shows and still use the USG at home. I remind myself every time to not get too carried away. I talk about it at my shows when I talk about the UM and tell my guests that PC does listen to their customers and consultants because they restyled it after so many people got cut on it.

Ugh! Hope you heal quickly Kristi!!

http://women.evenhealth.com

Ouchie ouchie. Feel better!

You're never a true consultant til you really cut yourself right??? I have battle scars on my right thumb from that darn thing. Cut it badly at a show and had to go right to the ER! Was making (from long ago) the Spring Fruit Charlotte and was slicing a plum and had just finished explaining how important it is to used the food guard but I wanted to get it started first and WAM! Had to get it carteurized (sp?) to get it to stop bleeding! I sold mine around Christmas

Hope your finger gets better quick!

Ouch! I was always afraid of the USG and after I heard that the 'unofficial' name for it was the Utlimate Slice and Bleed, I never used it! A lady in my neighborhood cut herself very badly with it too - when I do shows in my neighborhood I am not allowed to even mention it (they don't care that it is now safer)

Kristi!!!! I am so sorry about your boo-boo! I cut myself on thst #$%^ thing some time back~I was slicing zuchini and sliced the top side of my "birdie" finger! I still have a nice divet out of the finger and I swear it took 2-3 days to not hurt anymore. I hope you heal soon!

Cmon Kristi....We've got June SAT coming up & you'll need ALL TEN of them for all your shows!!:D ;) :cool:

Thank you everyone for caring and sending recovery vibes my way! I knew you'd guys understand! I've been cut by that stupid thing before but NOT this bad!

What stinks is everyone will be swimming today and I can too if I raise my hand the whole time!!:grumpy:

Aww, that stinks! I'm sorry you have a nasty owie. Don't throw the USG away yet, though. I keep a filleting glove stored with mine. You can find filleting gloves in the fishing section of most sporting-goods stores. They're cut resistant, so they protect your hands if they come in contact with the blade. I just toss the glove in the washer with my kitchen linens. I use it every time I use the USG without the holder, which, I must confess, is frequently.

Sorry to hear about your cut, Kristi! I was in that boat last month when I sliced my finger with the Forged Cutlery Bread Knife. Ended up w/ four stitches - it's "healed" now but still hurts when I move my finger a certain way. I'd still get it checked if I were you, just to be sure (plus, if your tetanus shot isn't up to date you may want to get one).

Hope you heal super quickly!!

1. What is the "Don't Make My Mistake" cookbook about?

The "Don't Make My Mistake" cookbook is a collection of recipes and tips from Pampered Chef's culinary experts that focuses on the potential dangers of using a traditional slice and grate tool. It offers alternative methods and tools to safely achieve the same results.

2. Why is it important to be cautious when using a traditional slice and grate tool?

Traditional slice and grate tools can be dangerous if not used properly. They have sharp blades that can easily cause cuts and injuries to fingers and hands. The "Don't Make My Mistake" cookbook aims to educate and provide safe alternatives to prevent accidents in the kitchen.

3. Are there any specific recipes in the cookbook that demonstrate the dangers of using a traditional slice and grate tool?

Yes, the cookbook includes recipes that require slicing and grating ingredients, such as salads, casseroles, and desserts. Each recipe is accompanied by a tip or alternative method to use instead of a traditional slice and grate tool.

4. Can I still achieve the same results without using a traditional slice and grate tool?

Absolutely! The "Don't Make My Mistake" cookbook offers alternative methods and tools to achieve the same results as a traditional slice and grate tool. These methods are not only safer but also more efficient and convenient to use.

5. Is the cookbook suitable for all levels of cooking experience?

Yes, the "Don't Make My Mistake" cookbook is suitable for all levels of cooking experience. It is designed to educate and provide helpful tips for anyone who wants to improve their cooking skills and safety in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
genburk
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
Replies
Views
lizcooks4u
  • Olivecook
  • Products and Tips