• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling as a New Pampered Chef Consultant: My Experience and Challenges

In summary, the consultant is having a problem finding customers. Every contact they make says they can't afford to buy anything. They are looking for advice on how to increase their sales.
mandalie
So I've only been a consultant for three months now. I dont know if it is different between Canada and the US but I fortunately made my $1500 in commissionable sales in my first like 40 days from friends and family. Unfortunately I have now run into a problem. Every contact that I have I've talked to and no one wants to host, or do catalogue show or even to buy something from my website.

Its right after Christmas and I've haggled people and Im just sick of haggling. Im a nice person I do not believe in being too pushy, especially with my family and friends.

No one can afford to book. NO ONE! Ive gotten suggests around the clock from my recruiter, director, other consultants. Ive made my lists. Ive gone to coffee shops, hair dressers, dentists, doctors. No one can afford it they tell me they cannot afford it.

I did get contacted for a Pampered Bride Cooking Show to set up in a couple of months. This is great but I need to pre-order my Spring Catalogues this month so that she is able to go through them and update her wish list for when we have the show. Plus Im donating a small basket of stuff for her Jack and Jill for advertising. Thus said, I can't do samples, personal or pre-orders because I was inactive for December (cause everyone told me they were too busy!)

I have 13 days to come up with a $200 order from people who cant order.

I guess im more on a rant if anything. Im very discourgaged and feel like quiting after i do the Bride show. I feel like Pampered Chef was just a huge scam that I fell for.

Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by they can't afford to host a show. It doesn't cost them anything to host - they just invite the people to their house. If they really can't afford the groceries for a recipe, maybe you could offer that, but when people say they can't afford to host, they usually have no idea what hosting involves. In those cases I don't talk about half price and 60% off, I just focus on the free product value for them.

frozenchef said:
I'm not sure what you mean by they can't afford to host a show. It doesn't cost them anything to host - they just invite the people to their house. If they really can't afford the groceries for a recipe, maybe you could offer that, but when people say they can't afford to host, they usually have no idea what hosting involves. In those cases I don't talk about half price and 60% off, I just focus on the free product value for them.

A reason a person hosts is to get products as host discounts. They cant afford to buy products thus hosting is not beneficial for them so why do it? I live in an area that has been hit hard by the recession. The only reason I even got sales was that I drove three hours away for a weekend to do my kilo show.

Unless it's different in Canada, part of their host benefits is free products. Often my hosts don't even use their half price and 60% monthly host special - they just use their free product. My hosts average $100 in free products. It's their guests who are the ones spending money, not them. Is this what they're referring to? None of their guests can afford to come to their show?

Sorry to hear your struggling right now. Sometimes it just takes a little while. Hang in there though, if this is something you want to continue. It is possible to pick things back up. A lot of times it's hard when you are brand new. It's hard to get out of that circle of friends/family. January shows have been hard for me to get every year. I know it's a great month for others, but I just struggle. No one has money, or at least that's what they tell me. It's also pretty close from the holidays and people are just tired of parties, I think. A lot of people have pushed their shows to February and I think it's just because people are slow to recover from the hustle and bustle of the holidays. I really hope you don't feel that Pampered Chef is a scam. You said you made your $1500 in your first 40 days, so that means you have earned enough commission, plus some, to reimburse yourself from what you paid for the kit. You also get to keep your products and there are no fees. It's just if you want to continue to sell through the next season, you'll need catalogs to show people. That's all that's required from here on out. All it takes is just one person, one show to turn things around. Sometimes when I've struggled, I hosted my own show. Told friends I was trying a new recipe or show format, and called everyone and acted excited about it. Your energy is contagious. If you are down and discouraged, that vibe will come through. If you find excitement in the product line and in the recipes, that will come across to people. Think along the lines of other businesses. They have to come up with ways to market to people. You could try to market to others about learning a great "cold weather" recipe, like Loaded Baked Potato Chowder and have a "Soup & Slippers" show or call it a Comfort Foods show. Or how about teaching a great Chocolate recipe that they can recreate for their special someone for Valentine's Day. Or a healthy eating show, since it's a new year and lots of people are trying to eat better. Or if theme shows don't excite you or them, go after the deals! February is a great month for stoneware lovers! And those who don't like stoneware, they can get the metal pans. Great deal for them to get as much as they want of those lines at 20% off, and even better with the host special.I hope things get better for you. I've been in your shoes many times, but something always ends up working out. You just have to decide how determined you are and anything is possible. There's still lots of time left for January. You can still get a show booked and held...or do your own.Best of luck! Hang in there! :)

Great ideas Amanda :) I'm doing Soup and Slippers with the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder this month as well - it's such a fun show to do!

frozenchef said:
Unless it's different in Canada, part of their host benefits is free products. Often my hosts don't even use their half price and 60% monthly host special - they just use their free product. My hosts average $100 in free products. It's their guests who are the ones spending money, not them. Is this what they're referring to? None of their guests can afford to come to their show?

I dont generally go into why they cannot do it as I think its kinda an invasion of privacy if they say they cant afford it, sure i can tell them about free product but only if they can get other people to buy and it is not a market thats going good here right now.

I also do Avon and my business there has suffered greatly too. At least with them, im not cut off from even making my own personal order after one month of inactivity or the inablity to preorder Spring catalogues. What do they want me to do, spend $200 i dont have to get myself active again, and worry about February too?

Double post.....

I'm just going to be blunt.

People do not host for discounts. They host for typically 3 reasons:

FUN
Helping a friend (you or the current host)
Free product

The only time I talk about a discount is when I'm talking about the DCB and I can say it's regular $95 but in February it's $38 (or March it's $47.50, etc....). But I only do that AT a show when I'm using it in the demo.

Other than that it's all about FUN! Soup & Slippers, Hawaiian Luau, Mexican Fiesta. Theme shows are awesome and people love them.

That is the #1 reason people host - not discounts.

mandalie said:
I dont generally go into why they cannot do it as I think its kinda an invasion of privacy if they say they cant afford it, sure i can tell them about free product but only if they can get other people to buy and it is not a market thats going good here right now.I also do Avon and my business there has suffered greatly too. At least with them, im not cut off from even making my own personal order after one month of inactivity or the inablity to preorder Spring catalogues. What do they want me to do, spend $200 i dont have to get myself active again, and worry about February too?
I think you need to change your mindset with this. If you never delve any deeper, than you are probably letting go of a ton of potential business, and those same people may very well book with someone who helps them to see the value of hosting a show. When people say they can't afford it, it's probably because they don't know what hosting means, and are thinking they have to shell out a bunch of $$ in order to host. I too have many hosts who don't purchase anything - they just use their free product value. Hosting does not have to cost anything. You might ask your director/recruiter for more training on overcoming objections. Oh, and PC is not a scam.;)

ChefBeckyD said:
I think you need to change your mindset with this. If you never delve any deeper, than you are probably letting go of a ton of potential business, and those same people may very well book with someone who helps them to see the value of hosting a show. When people say they can't afford it, it's probably because they don't know what hosting means, and are thinking they have to shell out a bunch of $$ in order to host. I too have many hosts who don't purchase anything - they just use their free product value. Hosting does not have to cost anything.

You might ask your director/recruiter for more training on overcoming objections.

Oh, and PC is not a scam.;)
Yep.

And I know some other direct sale companies charge tax on the free items (my host was really worried about that with the $465 she was getting) but we do not. Free is free with TPC.

ChefBeckyD said:
I think you need to change your mindset with this. If you never delve any deeper, than you are probably letting go of a ton of potential business, and those same people may very well book with someone who helps them to see the value of hosting a show. When people say they can't afford it, it's probably because they don't know what hosting means, and are thinking they have to shell out a bunch of $$ in order to host. I too have many hosts who don't purchase anything - they just use their free product value. Hosting does not have to cost anything.

You might ask your director/recruiter for more training on overcoming objections.

Oh, and PC is not a scam.;)

Do you dont think prying into their financial situation is an invasion of privacy. Sure I will mention now on just the free product and I'll offer to cover the grocery costs. That is a good idea. I guess your really do have to be that pushy person in the business. At least thats how im seeing it right now.

So its not a scam to spend $200 on a kit and have to make sure ur making Pampered Chef $200 every month or you cant purchase anything from them, not even at a good discount if you ask me. Sorry not good business etiquette, I cant even use my unused PC dollars which I earned. Unless you have honestly been inactive I dont think you can judge

BethCooks4U said:
Yep.

And I know some other direct sale companies charge tax on the free items (my host was really worried about that with the $465 she was getting) but we do not. Free is free with TPC.

Its a great business for the buyer definately. But this is my third job unless im unemployed and have time, i cant make thousands of dollars commission without compromising my previous full time jobs

I dont want to sound negative, I just hate it that you get told its not a lot of time out of your schedule, hassle free... etc and its not like that. It was false advertising on how much of your time gets put into it. To even make it a job you would need 20 shows a month on average of $500 per show to make a full time income. Not including the time to prep each show, do your follow ups. Its crazy I dont know how no one can see that its crazy

Last edited:
I hate to say this but your attitude STINKS! I know things are hard. Try being a farmer. I live in a very rural area (our county has a population of under 5000). I still make money doing PC. You need to be positive. It is NOT A SCAM! You make more money not only by doing shows but by recruiting. It only takes the number of hours you are willing to do it. If you are going to have a negative outlook it will reflect to others and you won't get bookings. You have to be positive. There are months that it is HARD! Because I live in a farming community my March and April sales are hard. Farmers pay their yearly taxes in March and then everyone else in April. I still have as many shows as I would like because I go out there and show enthusiasm for the products and the company. People can spend as little as $10 and as much as a few hundred. It is their choice but it is only a choice if they know about it. I am NOT a pushy person. I have lost shows to other consultants because I haven't pushed things. I am okay with that. Handing a catalog to a person and asking them to host a show is NEVER (well almost never) going to result in a show. You have to explain the benefits and what is expected of them (buy the food and invite people). That is not pushy, that is offering a opportunity. It is work, but you can choose to hate it (in which case you may want to think about doing something else) or love it (in which case your enthusiasm is contagious). I have been with PC for over 5 years and I have EARNED tons of free products and had a lot of fun. The money has also helped me do things I hadn't been able to afford before I took this job. I love being a consultant!

darlinclem said:
I hate to say this but your attitude STINKS! I know things are hard. Try being a farmer. I live in a very rural area (our county has a population of under 5000). I still make money doing PC. You need to be positive. It is NOT A SCAM! You make more money not only by doing shows but by recruiting. It only takes the number of hours you are willing to do it. If you are going to have a negative outlook it will reflect to others and you won't get bookings. You have to be positive. There are months that it is HARD! Because I live in a farming community my March and April sales are hard. Farmers pay their yearly taxes in March and then everyone else in April. I still have as many shows as I would like because I go out there and show enthusiasm for the products and the company. People can spend as little as $10 and as much as a few hundred. It is their choice but it is only a choice if they know about it. I am NOT a pushy person. I have lost shows to other consultants because I haven't pushed things. I am okay with that. Handing a catalog to a person and asking them to host a show is NEVER (well almost never) going to result in a show. You have to explain the benefits and what is expected of them (buy the food and invite people). That is not pushy, that is offering a opportunity. It is work, but you can choose to hate it (in which case you may want to think about doing something else) or love it (in which case your enthusiasm is contagious). I have been with PC for over 5 years and I have EARNED tons of free products and had a lot of fun. The money has also helped me do things I hadn't been able to afford before I took this job. I love being a consultant!

Well good for you. I have a meeting with a potential tonight and have sent out more voicemails and messages to people I forgot to the first round. Im sorry I aint smiling ear to ear enough for your liking. I dont have the f*****g time, again this plus two full time jobs and a family to take care of at the end of the night and two kids under 5 so back off of me. You wont change my mind and im sorry if this pisses you off im glad ur able to do it, im giving you a nice reality check for some of us consultants who wont speak up!

Okay, let's break it down:
How many hours a day are you spending on your business?
What are you doing during that time?
Where are you focusing your actions?
Do you recall that it's usually the 4th call or time asking before someone says yes?

The simple truth is, you get out of Pampered Chef what you put into it. If you're spending more to work your biz that you're making with your biz, you don't have to. You can do a show with fewer catalogs and the single page outside order form. If a host wants to see a particular product, see if you can borrow it from your Director or another consultant.

Fundraisers, booths, community events, school events are great ways to make new contacts and friends. Check with your local and area chambers of commerce to see what you can find.

Maybe your Director can work with you to create a daily PC work schedule that will help you get back on track. Ask - that's what they're there for. The Pampered Chef is not a 9-5 job, but it's no different than going to an office or other 9-5 job and making money to fatten someone else's coffers. The great thing about PC is that YOU set your working hours instead of being tied to someone else's idea of a work day. Hope this helps. Hang in there.

mandalie - I'm kind of wondering why you posted this in the first place if you weren't looking for help. People here are just trying to help you out - that's what this site is for.
If you're going to expect to use a consultant discount, then yes, you need to BE a consultant. You say it was false advertising on how the business takes no time? The idea is that you can do Pampered Chef as much or as little as you want - that's where the flexibility is. I don't know of a job where you can do nothing and just sit back and watch the sales come in.
There are tough times occassionally - January can be tough. If you're ineligible for the changeover box with the new catalogs, maybe you could offer to buy some off of another consultant so you can reactivate? Just trying to help out.

Whoa, hang on guys. This is starting to get a bit nasty. (ETA, this was after reading Mandalie's comment 2 spots above...the others added comments during my typing time. :D)Mandalie, only you can decide if you want to continue. If you came to vent, then vent. But you said "any advice welcome" so people are trying to give you advise. This is a public forum and there are all types of personalities on here and all types of consultants. Some are hobbyist, part-time, full-time, etc. Everyone offers advice trying to be helpful and help you to see your situation from other angles. Some will be blunt, but they really are trying to help you. I think the point is that anyone CAN do this business. It's just a matter of trying. Realize that there are hard times, but your attitude does impact your business. What's that saying, "Whether you think you can or can't, you're right." You have to allow yourself some time to see if this is for you. If you aren't happy and don't like it, then you are not obligated to remain a consultant.If you need catalogs and are bummed you can't pre-order, maybe you can ask your director if you could buy a pack through her.For the people who say they can't afford to host, you don't need to go into their finances. I try to promote a show as a great way to have a fun night with your friends, learn a new recipe, eat some yummy food, and you'll get great host rewards. I tell people that they will get free products, 1/2 price items, an unlimited discount and a monthly host special item. But when I talk to them, I let them know that they don't have to use the 1/2 price or host special if they don't want to. They can just use the free stuff and that's fine with me. I also tell them that I don't earn a commission on their 1/2 price items and monthly host special anyway, so it really doesn't affect me either way, it's just up to what their budget allows.

I know where you're at, with the lack of time. That's why I have had to decide that PC doesn't fit into my schedule right now.

There have been quite a few things that I have changed my paradigm about in the last few years as a consultant. No one's telling you to pry into your potential hosts' financials or to not believe them when they say they're broke. We're suggesting you learn to discover the true reason for their objection. Your potential host may think she has to feed her guests, and that she has to buy items from you. If you don't ask, you can't correct that misconception. The same applies to hosts who say "all my friends are broke!" It's true that there is almost 10% unemployment, but guess what? That means 90% of the people do have a job. There are great tutorials on how to respond to objections out there, whether from PC or any of the many direct sales educators like Julie Anne Jones, Belinda Ellsworth, or Tammy Stanley to name a few.

If you were told by your recruiter that PC doesn't take a lot of time, and you were lead to believe it was "easy money" I apologize on their behalf. There really is no such thing as "get rich quick" and PC certainly isn't it. What it is, though, is a flexible business opportunity which allows you unlimited income potential. But as stated before, it's a give-and-get. Barbara Duke, a NED, reached an income goal of $100,000/year within 5 years of starting her business, but I've also personally heard her say she was putting in at least 40 hours/week into her business during the first years, while still working 60+ hours/week at her full-time job.

Bottom line: Your attitude truly does drive everything you do, whether PC or anything else. If you tell yourself you're not going to succeed in your PC business, you probably won't. Just like if you tell yourself you're not an athletic person, you'll probably never run a marathon. You could very well be perfectly capable of doing so, you'll just never strap on those running shoes because of your mind set. If you need help with your business, reach out to your recruiter. If she's not willing/able to support you, reach out to her Director, and her Director if necessary. If you can't find someone you click with in your cluster, find another consultant elsewhere to buddy up with. Spring Launch will be a great place to network. You might even find someone here on CS if you're truly interested in changing the course of your business.

frozenchef said:
mandalie - I'm kind of wondering why you posted this in the first place if you weren't looking for help. People here are just trying to help you out - that's what this site is for.
If you're going to expect to use a consultant discount, then yes, you need to BE a consultant. You say it was false advertising on how the business takes no time? The idea is that you can do Pampered Chef as much or as little as you want - that's where the flexibility is. I don't know of a job where you can do nothing and just sit back and watch the sales come in.
There are tough times occassionally - January can be tough. If you're ineligible for the changeover box with the new catalogs, maybe you could offer to buy some off of another consultant so you can reactivate? Just trying to help out.

Yes advice is welcome but telling me to spent more time i dont have isnt advice, its a kick to the face really so yeah that doesnt help and im sorry i can come off as nasty at times but im telling the truth here that telling me to spend hours a day of time i dont have isnt advice to me - im already pissed that the time i have put in is practically wasted so yeah im a bit pissed and nerves are exposed right now cause that means that time apart from my family is wasted Yes i have covered the cost of my kit, but not any of the product I needed to purchase to update my kit or on travelling expenses. so Yeah a bit pissed off. I dont expect it to make me business doing nothing but i also wasnt aware that the hour or two a day i do put in reap nothing beneficial to me over the last month and a half.

See active in PC eyes is making money, doesnt account for the 10 hours a week i put in to try to get shows to sell their stuff. Dont get me wrong its great stuff, but try telling that to someone who would tell you "well i can buy that at the mall for half price" i can say all i want about the quality warranty everything and when i talk to people I am enthusiastic and excited because it is another potential sale.

Please dont tell me that my attitude on a forum is how i act towards my potentials.

You sign an agreement, go to monthly meetings, and try to make shows, to me thats active and any other company it is active. But unless my hard work reap money its not so yeah its disappointing.

OK, advise other than "spend more time".

I have found that word choices, when speaking with potential hosts, make a huge difference. When speaking to someone, you want to focus the confersation on them, not you.

If you say "Would you like to host a show for me?", you're focusing on you, the consultant.

But if you say "Could I come do a show for you?", you're turning the focus on the host, and they're much more likely to be interested.

Yes, women like to do favors for their friends, but they'd much rather someone do a favor for them.

Maybe you can find a seasoned consultant with a successful business, and ask them to help you work on how you ask for shows.

Another thing to try is to take inventory of the time you spend on your business. Write down the activities you do, and how much time you spend doing them. Then analyze them to determine what truly is a money-making activity. Host Packets are important to your business, but they don't directly make you money. Simplify your process, and minimize the time you spend on them. Host coaching on the other hand does directly make you money by helping your host increase attendance, so that is worth spending money on. This can also help you with the feeling that you're spending time but not seeing results from your business.

NooraK said:
I know where you're at, with the lack of time. That's why I have had to decide that PC doesn't fit into my schedule right now.

There have been quite a few things that I have changed my paradigm about in the last few years as a consultant. No one's telling you to pry into your potential hosts' financials or to not believe them when they say they're broke. We're suggesting you learn to discover the true reason for their objection. Your potential host may think she has to feed her guests, and that she has to buy items from you. If you don't ask, you can't correct that misconception. The same applies to hosts who say "all my friends are broke!" It's true that there is almost 10% unemployment, but guess what? That means 90% of the people do have a job. There are great tutorials on how to respond to objections out there, whether from PC or any of the many direct sales educators like Julie Anne Jones, Belinda Ellsworth, or Tammy Stanley to name a few.

If you were told by your recruiter that PC doesn't take a lot of time, and you were lead to believe it was "easy money" I apologize on their behalf. There really is no such thing as "get rich quick" and PC certainly isn't it. What it is, though, is a flexible business opportunity which allows you unlimited income potential. But as stated before, it's a give-and-get. Barbara Duke, a NED, reached an income goal of $100,000/year within 5 years of starting her business, but I've also personally heard her say she was putting in at least 40 hours/week into her business during the first years, while still working 60+ hours/week at her full-time job.

Bottom line: Your attitude truly does drive everything you do, whether PC or anything else. If you tell yourself you're not going to succeed in your PC business, you probably won't. Just like if you tell yourself you're not an athletic person, you'll probably never run a marathon. You could very well be perfectly capable of doing so, you'll just never strap on those running shoes because of your mind set. If you need help with your business, reach out to your recruiter. If she's not willing/able to support you, reach out to her Director, and her Director if necessary. If you can't find someone you click with in your cluster, find another consultant elsewhere to buddy up with. Spring Launch will be a great place to network. You might even find someone here on CS if you're truly interested in changing the course of your business.

Thank you. I will keep that all in mind. I have also registered for the Spring In Action Meeting so maybe that will help too. Its very difficult for me to give up when I start something. So I will try and take suggestions and see where I get

Do you have any local grocery stores that might allow you to do some demos? I was contacted by one of mine to use their rentable "club room" that has a full kitchen. They asked that I purchase all my food stuff from the store, and then I could do a demo...might be a way to generate some interest without tapping into the "regular" circle

mandalie said:
Well good for you. I have a meeting with a potential tonight and have sent out more voicemails and messages to people I forgot to the first round. Im sorry I aint smiling ear to ear enough for your liking. I dont have the f*****g time, again this plus two full time jobs and a family to take care of at the end of the night and two kids under 5 so back off of me. You wont change my mind and im sorry if this pisses you off im glad ur able to do it, im giving you a nice reality check for some of us consultants who wont speak up!

There really is no call for fowl language no matter how mad and defensive you might be. I am sorry that Pampered Chef is not working out for you. Our American Kit is $580 in products and paper work. It sounds like you earned some commission, so if you quit now you come out ahead. You are right, this business is not for everyone, but it is for everyone to try. If you didn't try it you wouldn't know whether or not you are cut out for this. I am quite up front with my new consultants. This business is incredible SIMPLE but it is NOT always EASY. It sounds like you are very stressed out at the moment with all that you have to do. 2 full-time jobs (80 hrs/wk?) and children under the age of 5? When do you sleep? Take a few minutes and calmly think about what you want to acheive. Maybe you won't qualify in your first 30 days, but that's okay. I didn't either and now I am an Advanced Director. You are not a failure. You are only a failure if you didn't try. It sounds like you are trying that is all that I ask of my consultants.

I think you had already made up your mind before you ever asked for advice. But there really is no reason to be so hostile to those who were just trying to get more information to better help you. I'm sorry it hasn't work out for YOU the way you desired, but that hardly constitutes a company being a scam. here is how I would probably do it if I were in your situation:
I know that here in the USA, you can certainly go inactive for not submitting the required $$ per month, but you have 6 months before you would lose your status as a consultant. For us- if we are inactive 2 months in a row, we lose our Career Sales ....since you are just starting out, that may not be a big deal. and yes- we can't do the supply or personal orders either until we are active(which is a pain if you are trying to get back going,) but I can get around it if need be by getting things through consultants around me if I had to. So why not take a break from the business? Do the show you have, it will reactivate you that particular month. See if you can buy the needed catalogs through your cluster when you need them, since they would be new ones, assuming you are inactive and can't buy them yourself. Once you are active again, I assume you'd get a change-over kit to get more catalogs. Anyway, keep your eyes and ears open for Vendor events as spring draws closer. Around here, when the weather warms, those events start popping up. Schools, churches, farmers markets, consignment sales with vendors, flea markets, town street festivals, etc. Host another show yourself in the spring- maybe early April, if you have that one show in March, and submit it in April so you are active another individual month. Do a "New recipe", new product open house, etc. Since you do Avon, maybe you can get one or two other vendors- or more, and make a big Spring Open House to feature your new product lines.Even if folks can't afford to buy right now, you can still invite them over for some appetizers or desserts and some FUN to get away. Even folks without money like to window shop and have some fun. Let the guests decide what they do or do not want to buy. I've read of plenty of folks on here in very hard hit areas also where factories have disappeared, half the town is out of work, and they end up having multiple high-$ shows. Look for ways to make your shows about the BUDGET meals, ways to save money.So there are multiple ways you can approach it. But first thing I would suggest, is giving yourself a break! As others have said, if you are down about it and just not "feeling it", it comes through....even if you don't realize it.Good luck. I hope things turn out the way you want them- whether it is with PC, or not.

mandalie said:
I dont want to sound negative, I just hate it that you get told its not a lot of time out of your schedule, hassle free... etc and its not like that. It was false advertising on how much of your time gets put into it. To even make it a job you would need 20 shows a month on average of $500 per show to make a full time income. Not including the time to prep each show, do your follow ups. Its crazy I dont know how no one can see that its crazy

I don't think you're being negative, and I agree it is somewhat "false advertising" about how only a few hours a week can earn you a huge part-time income, all on your terms & your schedule. One of my past recruits is a high-powered pharmaceuticals sales rep and even she was overwhelmed with all the stuff they sent in her start up kit, the PC software, etc, etc.

I do think you're being naive, though.:D With any endeavor in life, you get what you put into it.

Like a lot of new consulatants, I thought business would just fall in my lap. Haha. Nope. I have to go out and get it, usually.

I will say, I'm a hobby consultant, only doing shows if I want to earn whatever prize is being offered. Last year I got some spring product for doing 2 February shows, and then in August? Sep? the paisley duffel bag.

My best advice is, do not spend money keeping yourself active! Spend time and be excited about a specific goal, otherwise you may be coming off as desperate. Just a thought.

Apologies for barging in - I haven't read the posts after this one you made.

I'm really annoyed by the "PC is a Scam" comment. Excuse me, how is it a scam if you're paying (in US) $159 for $580 worth of product? REALLY!?!?! If it's not working out for you, just DROP IT! You paid 1/3 of the retail price for a TON of products. GET OVER IT and MOVE ON. Normally I wouldn't say that but it sounds like you just need to hear/read it. And frankly I'm just in a very annoyed mood right now after reading this whole thread. The Pampered Chef is about sharing a product that you love. Nothing else REALLY matters. If you're not happy with it, it's clearly not for you.

Well, having read the rest of the thread, I realize no one has welcomed you to the Chef Success forum.

Welcome, mandalie!

It's a great place to vent.
I'm not annoyed at the "PC is a scam" comment. I have thought that in the back of my mind at times, too. IMO you are angry & venting right now.
In the long run, I know it's not a scam, though. They are a legit business and many people have made a good living from it.

edit - the most difficult thing for me, was to get out of my circle. Sounds like you are trying, with the dr office etc, when you finally get someone who wants to host, you will open up other circles. Hang in there!

I'm not sure how the Canadian kit is set up, but the US kit has a guide to get you started. Did you do your list of 100? If not, that's a GREAT place to start. Make a list of people you've not already contacted and that list will definitely help you figure out new names.It also sounds like you hit the ground running without all the facts. This business is all about you getting to set your own goals. You get to choose if you want to do 1 show a month, 20 shows a month or somewhere in between. The primary objective when you first start your business is to ask your host to invite people you DON'T already know, so that you can get out of your circle of friends/family faster. The faster you get out of that group, the easier it is for you to keep that booking snowball rolling. Was your whole $1,500 in orders all outside orders? If so, kudos to you for getting that, but it was just a short term fix with no long term plan going there. I consider it my responsibility as a leader to teach the basics to my recruits. But I can't teach them everything. It's impossible. That's what the policy guide, the New Consultant packet that you receive with your kit and the online training is for. Only YOU can decide if you'll succeed or fail. If you want to succeed, you'll need to do the research and training to ensure that you are putting your best effort forward. Work smarter, not harder. ;)PC can change your life and be the best thing that you've ever done. If you allow it to be. You can't jump in & expect it to just happen though. You have to be willing to take the responsibility to succeed and that's going to require you reading and following the outlines given to you by PC. They have some tried & true methods & it's a great place to get you started. ;)

Wow, this thread is crazy. I just found this site today and was really excited to hear all the good tidbits from consultants. I have been a consultant for about 6 weeks and love it. It really is all about attitude. I have days were I feel like a total failure (or rather December lol) and then days like today where I booked a cooking show at a scrapbooking class- I feel amazing.

I've done Avon and that was by far the worst job I've ever had. PC is nothing to be compared to it. I am honored to be part of this company. I also understand busy and tough times. This is my second business and I have four small children and a husband who is unable to work because of a permanent disability.

The point is, it's tough for everyone out there. Recession, small town, taxes, feeling unmotivated...we all feel it from time to time. If you feel frustrated and like it's not for you- that's ok. If you want to keep working on it give yourself a chance to decompress from the stress you're feeling and come up with a new plan.

This is my second real month and I am still working on making sure my schedule is booked as full as I can. Today I started thinking in a totally different way. I started making phone calls to businesses and offering a lunch hour express cooking show. I go cook them lunch and they shop on the clock. It's also a great time for fundraisers to be scheduled. People will always find a way to support local schools and organizations, we offer them an opportunity to get our great products and support their community at the same time.

Anyway, just my few sense. I really hope you can find some peace in how you're feeling and make your decision to continue or not continue without anger.

nikihampton said:
Wow, this thread is crazy. I just found this site today and was really excited to hear all the good tidbits from consultants. I have been a consultant for about 6 weeks and love it. It really is all about attitude. I have days were I feel like a total failure (or rather December lol) and then days like today where I booked a cooking show at a scrapbooking class- I feel amazing.I've done Avon and that was by far the worst job I've ever had. PC is nothing to be compared to it. I am honored to be part of this company. I also understand busy and tough times. This is my second business and I have four small children and a husband who is unable to work because of a permanent disability. The point is, it's tough for everyone out there. Recession, small town, taxes, feeling unmotivated...we all feel it from time to time. If you feel frustrated and like it's not for you- that's ok. If you want to keep working on it give yourself a chance to decompress from the stress you're feeling and come up with a new plan.This is my second real month and I am still working on making sure my schedule is booked as full as I can. Today I started thinking in a totally different way. I started making phone calls to businesses and offering a lunch hour express cooking show. I go cook them lunch and they shop on the clock. It's also a great time for fundraisers to be scheduled. People will always find a way to support local schools and organizations, we offer them an opportunity to get our great products and support their community at the same time.Anyway, just my few sense. I really hope you can find some peace in how you're feeling and make your decision to continue or not continue without anger.
Excellent post! I'm sorry the original poster has had so many frustrations and I hope she can work them out. Sounds like she's just overwhelmed and each little thing is piling on top of everything. Busy people often make the best consultants but there is such a thing as too much. I also want to say that success in anything is all about attitude. The first year I was in I didn't think I could recruit. What others said they did didn't work for me. It was just the people I happened to know/meet. Wrong! When it clicked I got it and I started recruiting, not every month but enough to build a team. What changed? My attitude. If you believe you can do something you can. Even if you want to believe some things aren't for you and that's okay. You tried and now on to the next adventure... I wish the OP the best whatever she decides. This is not a scam or pyramid scheme. The value of what you initially pay is more than the dollars spent. Most of a consultants income is from their own sales. even those at the top have minimums in personal sales to get their overrides from their team. The rules are clearly spelled out. We are on commission and as a sales force we get paid by what we sell and that includes perks.Oh, and a correction. An inactive consultant can do a supply order - there can't be any products on it but she can get catalogs, order forms, business supplies.

It sounds like you need to check your kit again your magic wand must have been missing. You just wave it over your products and you make thousands of dollars a month with no effort on your part! I think you should call HO and ask them where it is. As you can see, I won't be as nice as others here. I've been a consultant for over 7 years and have never heard anyone ask for advise and then be so rude to those you asked for help from. The business is about what you put into it and if you don't have the time or the desire to do that then you should quit! The people on this site are always encouraging and helpful and I won't sit back and let you be so nasty to them. I won't waste my time giving you advice for something you have already decided is not going to work in your area. I hope others take my advice and stop giving any to you. You do not deserve it! My biggest hope is that Greg removes you from this site!!

Last edited:
It kind of sounds like direct sales just isnt going to be your thing... really you have to have a much better attitude. you really should take you kit and run. you got over $740 in products and biz supplies for only $195.
OMG... what a rip off!! LOL
But honestly with your attitude, you likely arent going to get very far. Ive been doing this for 11 years and it has its ups and downs like anything else, but it has really been fabulous and i wouldnt give it up easily!
I dont knwo who told you it would be so easy butthey were wrong. You dont get paid if you dont work, and with any other business even if you started your own from the ground up. You take a loss in the beginning usually (I personally didn't but I know that is the reality).
Your attitude stinks, so likely your business will as well..... just sayin...

I think there is a misconception between the Pampered Chef style of business, and what some other Direct Sales companies do. The OP mentioned not having to submit sales, etc to stay 'active' and be able to place personal orders with Avon (?) I believe it was. I have heard of other companies like this. The way I see it with regards to that, is that the Pampered Chef company is in this as business. If they didn't have some sort of guidelines to insure that company consultants are not actively working their business, then everyone would just "sign up as consultants", to get the personal discount on their own orders, without ever really doing anything. With the PC Business Model, they are in it to make money as a business should! And by doing so, they are encouraging consultants to make money (even if it isn't much sometimes!) and maybe even weeding out those who just want a nice discount. I am NOT saying the OP got into PC expecting this for herself, it sounds like she really wanted to make this work, and maybe still does. But when things get rough, and we all know they do, the lack of sales each month is handled differently with PC than with other companies.Again, personally, I would take a break from the business for a few months, keep my eyes and ears open and regroup in awhile. There is nothing wrong with walking away. You can always come back when the timing is better. But if folks aren't buying, and there are no other opportunities that you can find in the area, what else can you do?Here are two files (probably quite a bit duplicated, I haven't looked at them in awhile), that give different ways to get bookings/business. Maybe something will jump out at you (or anyone else looking for bookings)"101 Ways to get Bookings"
"118 Ways to get Bookings"Again, good luck. And for everyone else, let's let this one die, shall we? Stop the nastiness on both sides. Feathers were ruffled, things were said. It's done. I really do hate it when threads go this way. As my WW leader says "STOP THE STINKIN THINKIN!" ;)

I am a little curious about what you are doing in the time you are working. Maybe there are some tips to help you streamline some of those and spend less time? What are your actual goals with PC? From your posts it is not clear to me if you are looking for a full time income or just a little something extra. I agree that with your other obligations you probably do not have time for the full time income .. but that is ok as long as it is ok with you. I started this out really slow because I had time issues. At times I did just enough business to keep active. Once I lost my career sales (that hurt a bit). I kept going because this is something that I really want to do .. and I knew that someday I would have that time. Now my business is doing well. Have you checked with Parent Teacher organizations about fundraisers? I do some that are strictly the pantry items. These are easy for kids to sell/deliver and lets face it, people will buy from kids to help their cause. One thing I will say, don't buy anything to enhance your kit that you don't want. You don't have to have every item to show the customers.

I'm doing a 60 hour a week management job. I am still trying to fit 2 shows a month. Don't get discouraged. You can do it if you want to.

esavvymom said:
And for everyone else, let's let this one die, shall we? Stop the nastiness on both sides. Feathers were ruffled, things were said. It's done. I really do hate it when threads go this way.

I'm on the other side of the fence on this. I don't think this thread was nasty; I think mandalie was venting and Chef Success is a great place to vent.
It wasn't a personal attack on PC or any of us, IMO.

Step back and think about it a moment. Avon is a consumable direct sales company and PC is not - except for pantry items, which are always available on a supply order up to the 6 months. If I'd come from Avon where I could order product every month even without sales, of course I'd be unhappy with PC's policy.

I see this thread as a learning experience, to be able to compare PC to another direct sales company. Now it's got me wondering what the policies of other consumable direct sales companies like Taste of Home (isn't that the spice & dip company?) and candle companies (Scensty,Partylite,etc) are different than hard goods like PC, all the jewelry ones, Tupperware, etc.

Well over 24 hours later and Im feeling just a little more kicked down from responses. As i said it previous posts, im sorry i was sounding nasty and yes I did take some advice OTHER THAN spend more time i do not have. I belive i said this a few times and I will be honest is that I will NOT spend more time I already am currently but I will reassess what my time is spent on doing.

Again, I think a good half of comments from mine were, if not, just as nasty and very discouraging. Again, this is my first post and I was in a bad moment at the time, and again I know I sounded pissed off venting and I was.

I didnt mean to make a hit at PC for all of you freaking out. All i was trying to make you realize is that they are flatly refusing for me to us MY pc dollars and MY MONEY to buy their products. I just never heard of a company who refuses to take my money because I havent been able to get the shows they want me to. Thats all I was trying to point out and I also do not believe in the way they recruit as it is advertised as being a totally different experience that I find the reality is.

Im sorry for any of you who might have felt insulted from anything I said but again, i was extremely depressed and angry at the time and people say things they wouldnt normally said so again sorry if anyone was insulted but i think i also derserve an apology for everyone for taking it all way too personal and make it how you felt instead of helping me get out of the state i was so obviously in at the time.

I dont think I will post after this if this is what the majority of responses are like. Yes you offer advice but the support part felt more like trying to push me to quit and get off the forum.

Shame on you.

Mandalie,
I understand your frustration, truly I do. But I feel so badly that you even mention the word "scam" and TPC in the same sentence. Where in the world can you start your own business for only $159 plus tax? And with your $1500 in sales, you made up your investment, plus a profit, in only 40 days! I have been a consultant for almost 11 years with tremendous success and I really believe it's because I just LOVE the products and enjoy my hosts/customers. I have fun with them at my shows by playing games and giving away prizes and have them come up and try the food chopper and garlic press and I make it very interactive. Perhaps you can try these ideas? I certainly don't make the kind of full-time $ I did when I was a teacher, but then again, I don't put in the same grueling hours I did either. I have never felt like a pushy salesperson, never. And I get all kinds of referrals and bookings at all my shows. But...there have been times when a potential host says her friends can't come because they can't afford to buy and we have to cancel show or reschedule. But I just keep on going, on to the next person. This biz is about building relationships so I hope you will continue to try.

@esavvymom

Thank you for the docs on getting more bookings. I'm struggling with bookings right now and am looking for all the help I can get, so I'll go over the suggestions you posted.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

aw I'm really grateful for the tips, I'm finding it so hard getting bookings right now and I feel a bit depressed about it too. Hope the OP is feeling more positive

I normally do not post to long ago threads but I felt I must do so here. A little piece of advice I was given when I started was simply to slow down. Do not go into a host getting phone-a-thon or running to neighbors, friends and family host getting venture with a crazed mind. Be calm, be patient, be informed about what you want to say to people. Also and more importantly, you must decide on the time YOU HAVE AND WANT TO SPEND ON YOUR BUSINESS before you can do any of this. Specifically set aside time for your business. One or two hours a day or even a week to do what you can. Do not set this in stone as life can get in the way. But promise to do it at some point at least once a week.
1) Write a script - use the words mentioned earlier about "...can I come and Host a fun show with a great recipe for you and your friends...".
2) Make a decision about the food cost BEFORE YOU CALL. Will you or your host pay for it? Decide to offer a "free show" or not. This way going in to the call, you know in advance if you are willing to accept that cost yourself if the host can't or won't. We can use our tax benefits and can write it off, they can't. So it may be better to get the booking and pay for food than to loose the booking over what, $15 tops!
3) Always, always, always promote the freebies we give. Do NOT dwell on the discounts. This can and is sometimes a big turn off. Money out of pocket scares the you know what out of some people. ESPECIALLY IF THE THINK WE DO WHAT OTHER DS COMPANIES DO! Tax on free, make up the difference themselves to get a party, (Yes, I had to do this to make another companies minimum at $250), or no discounts unless you hit $600 in sales! Whatever it is, counter act it before they can even respond! ONLY talk about FREE!!!!! AT $150 you get FREE S&H, NO TAX on FREE. No cost for food! (Unless you or they decide differently), I even make sure I have my Quick-Stir and a powdered drink mix so the host does not have to buy beverages! If the only thing they need to provide is guests and maybe do some dishes afterwards, it is so much easier to get bookings.
I need to revamp my calls. Here is my thought.
"Hi Mary! This is John Watschke, your Pampered Chef Consultant. Do you have a few minutes to talk right now? Great. I am calling because I would love to give you free Pampered Chef Products. No tax, No shipping, just free!
And I can make it even better! You will not have to pay for food or beverages! I will do that for you. The only thing I need you to do is contact some friends for fun and food! That is it!" Of course I would go into further detail but hey, it should get their attention! HTH!

esavvymom said:
I think there is a misconception between the Pampered Chef style of business, and what some other Direct Sales companies do. The OP mentioned not having to submit sales, etc to stay 'active' and be able to place personal orders with Avon (?) I believe it was. I have heard of other companies like this. The way I see it with regards to that, is that the Pampered Chef company is in this as business. If they didn't have some sort of guidelines to insure that company consultants are not actively working their business, then everyone would just "sign up as consultants", to get the personal discount on their own orders, without ever really doing anything.

With the PC Business Model, they are in it to make money as a business should! And by doing so, they are encouraging consultants to make money (even if it isn't much sometimes!) and maybe even weeding out those who just want a nice discount. I am NOT saying the OP got into PC expecting this for herself, it sounds like she really wanted to make this work, and maybe still does. But when things get rough, and we all know they do, the lack of sales each month is handled differently with PC than with other companies.

Again, personally, I would take a break from the business for a few months, keep my eyes and ears open and regroup in awhile. There is nothing wrong with walking away. You can always come back when the timing is better. But if folks aren't buying, and there are no other opportunities that you can find in the area, what else can you do?

Here are two files (probably quite a bit duplicated, I haven't looked at them in awhile), that give different ways to get bookings/business. Maybe something will jump out at you (or anyone else looking for bookings)

"101 Ways to get Bookings"
"118 Ways to get Bookings"

Again, good luck.

And for everyone else, let's let this one die, shall we? Stop the nastiness on both sides. Feathers were ruffled, things were said. It's done. I really do hate it when threads go this way. As my WW leader says "STOP THE STINKIN THINKIN!" ;)

Thanks for much for posting the how to get bookings files - I can't wait to read through them. It can be tough that is for sure - frustrating too. I had a party last night that ended with no bookings. Hard not to take personally when guests tell you a firm "no" right to your face.

All we can do is take a deep breath and get right back on the horse :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennis
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • armywife_consultant
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
legacypc46
Replies