• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Ground Ginger Substitute Fresh in Satay Pasta Salad?

is that ok?Only thing I'm questioning is that if the asian seasoning consists of powdered ginger and other ingredients, then what would be the difference?The main difference is that the powdered ginger will have other ingredients in it, like sugar or salt. I wouldn't substitute black pepper for cayenne pepper, though - they are different spices with different purposes.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
And REALLY want to try the Satay pasta salad!

I saw in the cooks tips that we could use "fresh ginger root." I am wondering if I can't just use GROUND GINGER and if so ... how much?

Di_Can_Cook said:
And REALLY want to try the Satay pasta salad!

I saw in the cooks tips that we could use "fresh ginger root." I am wondering if I can't just use GROUND GINGER and if so ... how much?

To me, ground ginger doesn't taste the same as fresh ginger, so I wouldn't substitute it. Plus, fresh ginger is like fifty cents at the grocery store, so I say just go buy that!

When you buy ginger at the grocery store, you can also snap off a smaller piece from the large ones in the bin, so you don't even have to buy the big one. Just pay for the small amount that you actually need.

Two ways to keep your ginger root fresh: slice thinly and place in a small jar (or prep bowl) with dry sherry (wine section) to cover and refrigerate; use as needed. I have kept it like this for months. Another way, place the whole ginger root in a a zipper freezer bag and throw in the freezer. You can just grate it frozen and unpeeled using the Micro Plane adjustable grater.

I freeze my ginger root and just grate off what I need. (Not sure how long it is good to keep frozen, though).

Have to chime in and say that I agree - there is a world of difference between ginger powder and fresh ginger! With the microplane, it is so easy to work with fresh ginger...or if you need just a small amount, I peel it, and press it through the garlic press! I sell a lot of garlic presses with that tip!

Do you peel the ginger before grating it? I find it hard to peel.

Yes, you do need to peel it. If you're having problems peeling it, use the serrated peeler.

JAE said:
Do you peel the ginger before grating it? I find it hard to peel.

Good Morning JAE!

I peel mine with a paring knife - it works for me....but you don't have to peel.

hmm... I always peel mine. I just don't want any of that nasty peel in my recipe. :)

I always peel mine and have found that using either the vegetable peeler or the serrated peeler works great! I used to do it with a paring knife but felt like I was wasting too much of the ginger - and always feared I would cut myself in the process - that's just me though. lol

I use the microplane to grate it but the garlic press also works great!

Only thing I'm questioning is that if the asian seasoning consists of powdered ginger and other ingredients, then what would be the difference?I also don't want to buy a whole thing of cayenne pepper ... I guess I could use some fresh ground black pepper in a pinch ...

1. Can I substitute Asian seasoning with another spice?

Yes, there are a few options for substitutes for Asian seasoning. You can use a combination of equal parts garlic powder, onion powder, and ground ginger as a substitute. Alternatively, you can also use a mix of soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil to add an Asian flavor to your dish.

2. Is there a specific brand of Asian seasoning that is recommended?

No, there is no specific brand of Asian seasoning that is recommended. It ultimately depends on personal preference and taste. However, Pampered Chef offers a high-quality Asian seasoning blend that is popular among our customers.

3. Can I make my own Asian seasoning at home?

Yes, you can make your own Asian seasoning at home using a combination of spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, and soy sauce. You can also customize the proportions to your liking to create your own unique blend.

4. What dishes can I use Asian seasoning in?

Asian seasoning can be used in a variety of dishes, from stir-fries and marinades to soups and sauces. It adds a delicious savory and slightly sweet flavor to any dish with an Asian influence.

5. Is Asian seasoning gluten-free?

It depends on the specific brand and ingredients used in the Asian seasoning. Some may contain gluten, while others may be gluten-free. If you have dietary restrictions, it's best to check the label or ingredients list before using Asian seasoning in your dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • lacychef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
gilliandanielle
  • Loveh20mi