1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Does anyone know how....

1. Jessamary

Jessamary Member

...to frost a cake without getting the cake bits in the frosting?
    I bought a cake leveler at Wal-Mart (btw, PC totally needs one), and got my cake to not be dome-shaped anymore, so now I need to work on how to frost it without any crumbs.

Anyone have some insight to my crumby problem? :)

May 6, 2009
  2. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

Oh Annabel!! Your expertise is needed.

Sorry, Jessica, I never learned that trick, either.

3. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Legend Member Gold Member

thin out some of the the icing so it's spreadable and put a layer of that on first. let it dry then ice it. Also, if you can freeze the cake, it won't crunb so much when you ice it either,

4. The cake has got to be moved out of the pan as soon as you can without breaking it so that the hotness of the cake makes a crust on the outside as the steam cools (I'm sure there's a scientific explanation) Also, it has to cool absolutely completely before you attempt to frost. That should be it :)

5. lisaw

lisaw Novice Member

Put a thin layer on first ~ this is called a crumb coat. Let it firm up for a bit and then go back and put a thicker layer on. Use PC's large spreader, the offset blade makes it much easier. Scoop up some icing with the spreader roughly the same height up the blade as your cake is tall. Start at one spot and always spread in the same direction (I always go to the right)~ the icing should spread out in front of the spreader as you go. Continue to scoop up more icing as you need it. Your spreader should never touch the cake, only the icing. Don't worry about it looking pretty the first round. Once the cake is completly covered, then you can go back and smooth it out.

Hope this makes sense.
    Lisa

May 6, 2009
  6. AnnieBee

AnnieBee Veteran Member Gold Member

What she said! :).

Plus, make sure the frosting is soft enough. If it is too firm, you will tear up the cake as you try to spread the frosting around. Not that I'd ever do that myself... :D

May 6, 2009
  7. Flamingo

Flamingo Advanced Member Gold Member

Thanks for the tips... Also a turntable to put the cake on while you are frosting so you can turn as you go. I saw Martha do this this morning on Today show. great tips...

May 6, 2009
  8. TrishPCMommy

TrishPCMommy Member Gold Member

I've heard of the crumb coat from professional bakers as basically pouring thinned icing on the cake, letting it set and once it's dried, start piling on the icing, like Linda said.
    Haven't heard about taking it out of the pan asap.?.?

May 6, 2009
  9. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

I generally let the cake cool 10 minutes in the pan, then an hour on the cooling rack.

May 6, 2009
  10. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

All this talk of cake is making me hungry!

Have something to add?