• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Does Anyone Have a Kindle Reader?

I'm a klutz with technology. I've always been that way.I think I would feel lost without my books, the old way. Plus I would have to carry around an extra book or two just in case the library wasn't open.I don't think I would like the expense either Susan.
susanr613
Gold Member
I am thinking buying a Kindle but hesitate due to the price and having to pay for books as opposed to going to the library. On the other hand, I am a gadget queen and looooove the portability and fun of my IPhone.

Anyone have a Kindle and willing to share impressions? Do you think it's worth the $$?

TIA

I just bought the sony ereader

why did you buy that one, jen? just curious

I absolutely love my Kindle!!!!

My boss has the e-reader, which he loaned to me for a week to see what I thought of it. At the end of the week I did a lot of research and decided on the kindle. Mostly due to the wireless. I made the right choice!

I recommend the Kindle to all avid readers!!!!

ive tossed around the idea of getting one but love going to half price books clearance section and buying 30 books for $1 each.... don't think i'd like the expense either Susan

Teresa Lynn said:
ive tossed around the idea of getting one but love going to half price books clearance section and buying 30 books for $1 each.... don't think i'd like the expense either Susan

That's my thought. I tossed around the idea of asking for one for Christmas. But even if I didn't have to pay for the Kindle, I would still be paying at least double for the books I read.

well, now i know why jen might have bought a sony ereader - you can download ebooks from the library, if your library participates. that's huge for me.

I borrowed one from a friend...but I guess I'm just too old-school. I like the feeling of paper, and turning the pages. It's just not the same when it's on a screen...:eek: I guess books are an emotional thing for me.

susanr613 said:
well, now i know why jen might have bought a sony ereader - you can download ebooks from the library, if your library participates. that's huge for me.

I actually got it because it was cheaper and best buy was offering a $30 gift card for buying it too

I received my kindle for my birthday and I LOVE IT!!! The books are half the price I normally pay, the only down side is I can't share like I used to. I love that I can read it at home but if I am at the doctor waiting, I can pull up my book (synced to the right page) and read on my Iphone while I am waiting and when I get home my kindle syncs to the correct page as well.

ChefBeckyD said:
I borrowed one from a friend...but I guess I'm just too old-school. I like the feeling of paper, and turning the pages. It's just not the same when it's on a screen...:eek: I guess books are an emotional thing for me.

I feel the same way. Love the feel of a book in my hands. And being in a library is like being in a candy store. :)

There's a new, smaller version coming out. It's going to be the Kindling and they really expect the marketplace to catch fire.

I have the Kindle app on my iPhone. It works great and was FREE!! Of course buying books from Amazon is not free but it works!! I prefer real books but do like having the app..........

I've found quite a few free books for my kindle. And it's so nice to be able to get that brand new book that's only available in hardcover on my kindle for 9.95 instead of 24.95! The kindle itself may have been pricey, but I think I've saved money on books. And if I happen to see a book I want to read in a bargain bin for $1 I still get it!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
There's a new, smaller version coming out. It's going to be the Kindling and they really expect the marketplace to catch fire.

Hardy har har ;-)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

I saw the first part of your post and thought REALLY?! Then I read the rest. Total GROAN! :rolleyes:

My Husband has a sony ereadrer he got for his birthday & he LOVES it. But he is also a tech person and loves gadgets, but he always has it with him.

wadesgirl said:
I saw the first part of your post and thought REALLY?! Then I read the rest. Total GROAN! :rolleyes:

Just one more service I cheerfully provide to the Cheffers.

Check out Barnes and Noble's version...the nook!! It looks really really cool!

Ok I think i've figured out what you are all talking about because I don't have nor can i afford these high tech phones with all these crazy apps. A kindle reader is an app you can have on your phone to read a book??? Weird. I too prefer and actual book I hate reading things on small screens. I mean the computer is one thing but I like to read before bed and a screen would keep me up instead of putting me to sleep like reading a book does. But I guess it's a cool idea in theory and a greener way to read i guess!:rolleyes:

There is a kindle app for your phone, but the kindle itself is larger and it's own device. Think of it as an ipod for books! It's about the same length and width as a regular book. But much much thinner and lighter. My biggest concern was eye strain, but since the screen is not backlit (like most PC monitors) this is not a problem. I find it very convenient, and eventually, I think they will come down in price and be a much more common item.

you can also download Kindle to your computer too

This is on My list...I hope Santa knows I have been a good girl...

Katie, the Kindle and other devices mentioned in this thread are bigger than a phone, usually 5 - 6". They are used primarily for reading e-books and electronic versions of magazines and newspapers. You can run their reader software on your phone, but the screen is of course a lot smaller. The least expensive one is $200, which means I have to think very carefully before I buy one.

I have the B&N e-reader on my IPhone and I have been reading the original vampire book Dracula as an antidote to Twilight (LOL). I read fast, so I'm flicking my finger across the screen a lot.

I really am torn:
Kindle: seems to be the market leader, the VHS/BluRay of the pack
Nook: color and pictures are cool - imagine Season's Best on an electronic device - no more torn/stained pages, and you could still mark up with notes
Sony: least expensive, and you can borrow books from the library

Well, I guess this means I should wait till after DS Bar Mitzvah (March) and see if I have any money for anything for myself ;-)

I can definitely see the appeal of these devices, but I'm with Becky. I love the feel, the smell, the sound of books. I can see situations in which ebooks would be the best choice, but I can't see getting one myself. Of course, that wasn't your question, Susan. :)

More on this....the B&N Nook also allows you to borrow books from the library! That pretty much seals the deal for me. I'm going to wait till after the holidays and in the meantime check out the Nook at my local B&N.

With regard to the look and feel of books, I understand where you are coming from. On the other hand, I like to read in bed and a big hardcover or thick paperback is really heavy. So, along with phones that have distinct earpieces and mouthpieces, and handwritten letters, it's time to adjust to a new means.

thanks so much everyone!

See, I don't use an earpiece and I still write handwritten letters. Plus, when I read in bed I lie on my tummy and rest the book on a pillow. :)

susanr613 said:
More on this....the B&N Nook also allows you to borrow books from the library! That pretty much seals the deal for me. I'm going to wait till after the holidays and in the meantime check out the Nook at my local B&N.

With regard to the look and feel of books, I understand where you are coming from. On the other hand, I like to read in bed and a big hardcover or thick paperback is really heavy. So, along with phones that have distinct earpieces and mouthpieces, and handwritten letters, it's time to adjust to a new means.

thanks so much everyone!

LOL - I'm not emotionally (or physically) attached to a phone - only use my cell for emergencies, etc..., and like Rae, I still write letters and notes...but I have been obsessed with books and reading for most of my life, and do have a real emotional reaction to opening a book. The smell, the feel, the crispness of the new pages. I love it all. Books are my friends, and often, when I have time alone, I head to the library or bookstore.

Happy Holidays to all,
I have wanted a e reader for some time and after months of notes, and hits My hubby shocked me with the sony e reader touch edition. I know its not kindle, but I love it!! I was shocked because with all my hints he kept saying it cost too much blah blah blah and on Christmas morning I jumped in his lap and gave him a huge hug! My first book I downloaded was james patterson 's Witch and Wizard and then the twilight collection!!

Congrats! I am sure you're having a great time exploring and reading. I did have an opportunity to check out a Nook (B&N) and was not blown away. If I had a job where I had to take public transit, I would buy an e-reader. As of next week I will again be looking for work, so I'd better stick with the library.

Thanks everyone for all your insights :)

Just got the kindle for Christmas and I love it! I love the feel and smell of books, but I really love that I can get a new book without leaving my house! I am an avid reader, so I love the instant gratification of the kindle. Amazon has free books you can download, which is great and I also am able to get books that I can't even find in my local bookstore. I just downloaded the Spirit filled bible for women and am so excited! I have been searching my bookstore and christian bookstore and haven't been able to find it, but with a few clicks on my kindle I have it!

See, I'm so weird. I not only love the feel and smell of real books, I love talking with the people at the library or bookstore.

raebates said:
See, I'm so weird. I not only love the feel and smell of real books, I love talking with the people at the library or bookstore.

Right there with ya, Rae! :thumbup:

Plus, I love having bookshelves full of books. (and stacks of books beside furniture. :eek:) It makes any room feel more comfortable to me. :love:

Becky, you're a woman after my own heart.

Becky & Rae - couldn't agree with you more! I imagine, someday, there will be no choice for books - but until then - I'm sticking with the library and the bookstore! I, too, love opening up an actual book to read - I even kept all the books I read when I was a child to pass down to my own kids (back when books were way cheap). I used to read them over and over again - I love reading!

I'm on an assignment with lots of extra time on my hands and computer access. So, I'm reading through the American Humor thread. This post by ChefAnn reminded me of this thread.

=: A Technological Innovation :=

Introducing the new Bio-Optic Organized Knowledge device, trade-named 'BOOK'. BOOK is a revolutionary breakthrough in technology: no wires, no electric circuits, no batteries, nothing to be connected or switched on. It's so easy to use, even a child can operate it.

Compact and portable, it can be used anywhere -- even sitting in an armchair by the fire -- yet it is powerful enough to hold as much information as a CD-ROM disk. Here's how it works:

BOOK is constructed of sequentially numbered sheets of paper (recyclable), each capable of holding thousands of bits of information. The pages are locked together with a custom-fit device called a binder, which keeps the sheets in their correct sequence.

Opaque Paper Technology [OPT] allows manufactures to use both sides of the sheet, doubling the information density and cutting costs. Experts are divided on the prospects for further increases in information density; for now, BOOKs with more information simply use more pages.

Each sheet is scanned optically, registering information directly into your brain. A flick of the finger takes you to the next sheet. BOOK may be taken up at any time and used merely by opening it.

Unlike other display devices, BOOK never crashes or requires rebooting, and it can even be dropped on the floor or stepped on with little damage. However, it can become unusable if immersed in water for a significant period of time.

The browse feature allows you to move instantly to any sheet and move forward or backward as you wish. Many even come with an 'index' feature, which pinpoints the exact location of selected information for instant retrieval.

An optional 'BOOKmark' accessory allows you to open the BOOK to the exact place you left it in a previous session -- even if the BOOK has been closed. BOOKmarks fit universal design standards; thus, a single BOOKmark can be used in BOOKs by various manufacturers. Conversely, numerous BOOKmarks can be used in a single BOOK if the user wants to store many views at once. The number is only limited to the number of pages in the BOOK.

You can also make personal notes next to BOOK text entries with an optional programming tool, the Portable Erasable Nib Cryptic Intercommunication Language Stylus [PENCILS].

Portable, durable, and affordable, BOOK is being hailed as a precursor of a new entertainment wave. Also, BOOK's appeal seems so certain that thousands of content creators have committed to the platform and investors are reportedly flocking.

Look for a flood of new titles soon.

raebates said:
I'm on an assignment with lots of extra time on my hands and computer access. So, I'm reading through the American Humor thread. This post by ChefAnn reminded me of this thread.

=: A Technological Innovation :=

Introducing the new Bio-Optic Organized Knowledge device, trade-named 'BOOK'. BOOK is a revolutionary breakthrough in technology: no wires, no electric circuits, no batteries, nothing to be connected or switched on. It's so easy to use, even a child can operate it.

Compact and portable, it can be used anywhere -- even sitting in an armchair by the fire -- yet it is powerful enough to hold as much information as a CD-ROM disk. Here's how it works:

BOOK is constructed of sequentially numbered sheets of paper (recyclable), each capable of holding thousands of bits of information. The pages are locked together with a custom-fit device called a binder, which keeps the sheets in their correct sequence.

Opaque Paper Technology [OPT] allows manufactures to use both sides of the sheet, doubling the information density and cutting costs. Experts are divided on the prospects for further increases in information density; for now, BOOKs with more information simply use more pages.

Each sheet is scanned optically, registering information directly into your brain. A flick of the finger takes you to the next sheet. BOOK may be taken up at any time and used merely by opening it.

Unlike other display devices, BOOK never crashes or requires rebooting, and it can even be dropped on the floor or stepped on with little damage. However, it can become unusable if immersed in water for a significant period of time.

The browse feature allows you to move instantly to any sheet and move forward or backward as you wish. Many even come with an 'index' feature, which pinpoints the exact location of selected information for instant retrieval.

An optional 'BOOKmark' accessory allows you to open the BOOK to the exact place you left it in a previous session -- even if the BOOK has been closed. BOOKmarks fit universal design standards; thus, a single BOOKmark can be used in BOOKs by various manufacturers. Conversely, numerous BOOKmarks can be used in a single BOOK if the user wants to store many views at once. The number is only limited to the number of pages in the BOOK.

You can also make personal notes next to BOOK text entries with an optional programming tool, the Portable Erasable Nib Cryptic Intercommunication Language Stylus [PENCILS].

Portable, durable, and affordable, BOOK is being hailed as a precursor of a new entertainment wave. Also, BOOK's appeal seems so certain that thousands of content creators have committed to the platform and investors are reportedly flocking.

Look for a flood of new titles soon.

Pure Genius! :D:thumbup:

My hubby just bought me a Kindle that should be here any day now. I can't wait to get it!!!!

My kids threw me a surprise birthday party last week and one of the gifts they gave me was a Nook cant wait for it to arrive. (Its on backorder until mid Feb) :(

Have the application for iPhone and love it. Worth spending the $$ on iPhone - though the look is smaller than Kindle's version - free is a good price (for the ap)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Symara
Replies
Views
chefann
  • pc_momof3
  • General Chat
Replies