• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Does Anybody Know About 5Th Disease??

there is no cure or treatment for Roseola or Strep/Scarlet Fever, but they will both work their way out and usually don't happen again. Both diseases can be really bothersome for kids, but they usually only last for a few days. If you have any other concerns, please call a doctor or nurse. 2. Roseola is a viral infection that usually starts with a high fever, lethargy, and rash. It usually clears up on its own in a few days, but can last up to a week. Strep/Scarlet Fever is a bacterial infection that can cause a rash anywhere on the body, but is most common on the face and neck. It can also
apriljc
My 3 year old son went to the doctor last week and he had an ear infection. Than on Monday night he was very tired and had a 102 temperature, the temperature went away but he has had a cought and runny nose all week. He took naps in the afternoon, which he never does anymore. So than this am he wakes up and feels fine and later on im the am he has a rash all over his face and his body. So I got on line and looked and he has most of the symptoms of 5th disease but it told me there is no treatment. He did take another nap the pm and now as the night goes on I am starting to get a little nervouse. He still has the rash all over and is still coughing like he has a bunch of drainage going on. I think if he is not better on Monday I am taking him back to the dr. Am I just being a paranoid parent or what? Sorry this is so long but now I feel better .

I wouldn't wait until Monday. I would take him to a walk in clinic tonight or tomorrow or if he gets bad enough, go to the ER.

Having worked in the medical field (**NOT AN RN OR MD**) and learning a lot about medical things, and simply being a mom of 4 kids, I would take him in tonight or in the AM . I wouldn't wait any longer than that. Have you called the MD about the rash and fever? If nothing else, call the answering service and have them page the MD on call. It could be absolutely nothing, but IMO it's better to err on the side of caution. I hope your little one gets better soon!

This sounds like Roseola. It starts out with a high fever and being lethargic and then the rash comes at the end. I can almost assure you that is what it is, but I would bring him to the doctor anyway! My son had it when he was younger.

You are NOT being paranoid but there is no treatment for 5th's disease... it just has to run it's course. It used to be called Slapped Cheek disease because that's exactly what it looks like someone has done... slapped their cheeks. The rash on their body looks kind of lace like ... it takes a few days to clear. It will work it's way out from the face and down the body and then out to the extremeties. It's a bother but they all get it sooner or later and usually don't get it again. I actually had it as an adult while pregnant with my 7th child and it created havoc on my joints. It didn't manifest itself fully until after she was born... after about 3 weeks all my major joints swelled up like balloons and now I have some premature arthritis but this is not the case in children... it just is a bothersome mess and puts them on the couch... sleepy and run down for a couple days and then the rash runs it's course for the next few days. Call your doc or nurse help line and talk to them. That will help to settle your fears a bit and they will pick up if there is something different going on.
I'll be praying for you...

I agree that you should call your dr. now if possible. I does sound like fifths disease, but it could be something way more serious. If is is fifths disease, it's really not that big of a deal. All you can do is keep them comfortable and let it run it's course. It leaves no lasting damage. My daughter had it before and recovered quite quickly.

Holy Cow. Now I am freaked out. I didn't even know there was something out there like that. :/ Caleb has had a runny nose and what not for the past few weeks off and on. Nothing like that though. I am making his appt on monday for sure. I hope your little guy gets better soon!

5Th diseaseI took my son into the emergency room because of a severe rash and what they told me he had strep throat which caused the scarlett fever and scarlet fever causes rash. I've got two boys and never had scarlett fever with strep throat. He was out of school for three days.
I would not wait any longer take him to see a doctor.:(

Both Roseola and Strep/Scarlet Fever have been around for the last few months.

1. Don't panic or self-diagnose. We have many tools available to us with the onset of the internet, but please take your child in. It sounds like he has a sinus infection at least after the ear infection. ***I am not a doctor or nurse either, but am an EMT and a mom and would take my child in. (If for nothing else, for his comfort!)***

2. Keep any temperature down if it is back up high, your doctor may recommend a regime of tylenol and ibuprofen alternated.

3. Depending on whether what he has is viral or bacterial will depend on the treatment. One can have antibiotics, one just has to run its course.

4. My daughter had strep/scarlet fever a few months ago (same symptoms)...a friend's child has rosela a few weeks ago and child has a febrile seizure in the middle of the night. Both are none worse for the wear - we took them in and took care of them.

...take care of him and I'll pray that he gets better soon!

I hope he's feeling better this morning!!

The one thing that I can tell you about 5th disease is that when the rash presents iteself, the child is no longer contagious. That is why it spreads like wildfire at the schools, no one is aware their child has it until the rash and cheeks become evident. Sometimes the child will just get snotty or have some type of fever, but that doesn't always have to be the case. I am by no means a doctor. I got my degree out of a cracker jack box. But as most of us here, I have 4 boys who have pretty much had everything. my mom laughs and says the dr. comes up with new diseases for my kids because they have run out of things to call them. :D

5th Disease...Hi:

I agree to take the child to the Dr. be it a night clinic, ER or somewhere.

I code Hospital Medical Records and never have heard of 5th disease. Down here in S. Tx we have a lot testing positive for Strept Throat & Influenza. I sure would rather be safe than sorry too.

hope things get better soon.

Liz

My oldest son had 5th's disease when he was 4 and their is no treatment, it will run its course. I would take your child to the doctor to be sure that's all it is. Once you have had 5th's disease it is unlikely that you will get it again.

HTH

Tracy

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I monitored him during the night and he didn't do hardly any coughing. Than this am the rash was still there but it looked faded. No fever at all, hardly coughed all day, but he did take another nap today. He was a little grumpier today but nothing out of the ordinary. I am still going to call the dr in the morning and make him an appt. My oldest got hand, foot, and nouth disease when he younger so I am kind of use to my kids getting these strange things. Influenza and respiratory stuff is popular up this way right now. They have even had to close the schools down for a couple of days because there were so many kids out sick. Again thinks for the concerns and advice. As I read them all it made my mind a lot calmer.

One thing I've heard of with this is anyone with Fifths Disease shouldn't be around pregnant women. I'm not sure exactly why, but I know this came up in a work situation when I was pregnant and one of the children patients I worked with on the inpatient psychiatric unit I worked on had this and had to be transferred to another family therapist because I wasn't supposed to be exposed. I don't know much about it though.

1. What is 5th disease?

5th disease, also known as erythema infectiosum, is a viral infection caused by the parvovirus B19. It is a common childhood illness that typically presents with a rash on the face, arms, and legs.

2. How is 5th disease spread?

5th disease is most commonly spread through respiratory secretions, such as saliva or mucus, from an infected person. It can also be spread through blood and is highly contagious during the early stages of the illness.

3. What are the symptoms of 5th disease?

The most common symptom of 5th disease is a rash that appears on the cheeks, giving the appearance of a "slapped cheek." This is often followed by a lace-like rash on the arms, legs, and torso. Other symptoms may include low-grade fever, headache, and fatigue.

4. Can adults get 5th disease?

While 5th disease is more common in children, adults can also get the infection. In fact, up to 60% of adults are already immune to the virus due to previous exposure in childhood. However, if an adult is not immune, they may experience more severe symptoms than children.

5. How is 5th disease treated?

5th disease is a self-limiting illness, meaning it will eventually go away on its own without treatment. However, over-the-counter pain relievers can help alleviate symptoms, and staying hydrated is important. It is also recommended to stay home and rest until the rash has disappeared to avoid spreading the infection to others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• milkangel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • buckeyefan08
  • General Chat
Replies